Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA must be getting desperate

13»

Comments

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

ea should stop releasing games like mashrooms that end up all beeing crap.They should focus on quality/content quantity and interesting game developing if they want to exist.

Blizzard is following ea's steps but they try to make it feel more stealthy soon they will have the same end.

Games were good once when people were creating them because of passion and not for money.Now money has blinded all of their passion so really who cares supporting companies anymore when all of the games rushing to come out quick and end up unoptimized or with half content etc etc.

I wish those old days could come back you know days of baldurs gate starcraft 1 diablo 1&2 neverwinter 1, morrowind....but the power of cash is so strong that noone can resist so we will keep geting crap games till everyone is rich enough and money has not enough point anymore.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Zefire

ea should stop releasing games like mashrooms that end up all beeing crap.They should focus on quality/content quantity and interesting game developing if they want to exist.

Blizzard is following ea's steps but they try to make it feel more stealthy soon they will have the same end.

Games were good once when people were creating them because of passion and not for money.Now money has blinded all of their passion so really who cares supporting companies anymore when all of the games rushing to come out quick and end up unoptimized or with half content etc etc.

I wish those old days could come back you know days of baldurs gate starcraft 1 diablo 1&2 neverwinter 1, morrowind....but the power of cash is so strong that noone can resist so we will keep geting crap games till everyone is rich enough and money has not enough point anymore.

People actualy believe that but then we all over romanticize the past.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Misleading but simply see http://www.swtor.com/free/ for details

150 coins for each subbed month prior to Aug 200 for each month since 250 to anyone who has a active sub at the time of conversion to F2P.

Makes it pretty clear IMO

Still a pants game though.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by Gruug

Except you have your facts incorrect. You must have an ACTIVE ACCOUNT when F2P launches to qualify for those Cartel Coins. That means you get nothing for PREVIOUS MONTHS nor for months going forward. So, if you do not have an active sub...you get nothing.

wrong. Oh how I love how people present made up facts.

The first option indeed gives free cartel points for the prior months. Read the fineprint, then post instead of misinforming people.

150 Cartel Coins 1
    Each paid month prior to July 31, 2012

1 OFFER VALID FOR ACTIVE OR FORMER PAYING SUBSCRIBERS OF Star Wars™: THE OLD REPUBLIC™ (“SWTOR”) AS OF JULY 31, 2012 AT 11:59PM CDT / JULY 31, 2012 AT 4:59AM GMT. OFFER MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED, EXCHANGED, SOLD OR REDEEMED FOR CASH OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES. MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. LIMIT ONE OFFER PER ACCOUNT. AWARD OF CARTEL COINS SUBJECT TO DIGITAL SERVICES AGREEMENT AND APPLIED IN-GAME TO USER ACCOUNT.

That just means people who were subscribing by July 31st. Anyone who joined the game from Aug 1st do not qualify at all , even if start subbing now.

According to the email in the OP, it implies that people need to be subscribed when F2P hits, to get them, and if you do not subscribe now / ASAP you will not qualify. That is what it is implying.

"Renewing your subscription now will qualify you to receive a grant of Cartel Coins" So, if you do not renew sub now, then will not qualify.

If you are correct and people do get cartel coins when F2P hits, and do not need to sub, then EA are really really desperate, as they are misleading people to resub when not necessary

in any case, people should read the fineprint on this site http://www.swtor.com/free/ VERY thoroughly (scroll down to the very end) . For each point pack there are different circumstances. Yes, for most of them you need to be subbed when they go F2P but not for Option 1.

I was subbed for 3 months prior to July, i´m not subbed now but when F2P hits I´ll get 450 points according to that info, no matter if I´m subbed or not on that date.

OK, it is official, no confusion any more, and EA are being misleading and desperate.

I'll bet some people will renew to get their coins when read the email if in same boat as you, when they do not need to renew

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

The FAQ finishes by saying: Previous players - come back by launch of the free-to-play option to claim your rewards.

Which is EA trying to suggest that people need to be subscribed prior to launch - which makes sense as they want(ed) as many people as possible to stay subscribed prior to the game going F2P. Subscribe, subscribe, subscribe ..... :)

However once it does go F2P EA are going to want to attract as many players as possible - past players will be the easy targets and so they will be offered cartel coins galore to sign up. Whatever the FAQ says - or means to say - today. Sign up , sign up, sign up.

If SWTOR follows the typical pattern then the number of cartel coins offered will increase; there will be cartel coins for signing up friends once they have made their first purchase, cartel coins for coming back - probably more than once. Eventually they will probably get around to offering cartel coins for e-mail addresses - which will be desperate. Maybe for wielding pink light sabres as well!

"And what do you want for Christmas this year son?"

"Gee mom and pop, I want 500 cartel coins!"

I see a tough sell ahead!

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

I can't wait for when EA finally reveal all the f2p details about the game.  It's going to be drama overload and I for one can't wait to pull up my chair, grab some popcorn and a beer and just watch as it all unfolds. As expected, it seems that EA still haven't learned from their past mistakes with the game and continuing to be as ignorant as always.. ironic seeing it was ignorance which gave dirty manbirth to the term "TORtanic" but hey that's EA for you.

Funniest thing is that they are already advertising cartel coins yet nobody knows what they are worth, how much things will cost or what exactly you use them for. Leading up to the f2p announcement, one of the biggest complaints from subscribers was being ignored and feeling like they've been left in the dark so it's borderline hilarious seeing EA/BW keep making this mistake. 

Anyhow, see you all come EA's REAL f2p announcement. Seeing how I'm scratching my head as to how they will keep this game going when all the good stuff will be free, I'm looking forward to seeing how the masters of nickel and diming can scrounge as much cash out of idiots as possible. Still remember Peter Moore's ridiculous 50m number he quoted as potential players on some tv news interview and will keep that figure close to my "L" and "O" keys for future reference.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by erictlewis

I just got in from the grocery store and found this in my inbox

Game Update 1.4: Terror From Beyond is Now Live!

Greetings idiotplayer:

Rejoin now to check out Game Update 1.4: Terror from Beyond and the brand new game features including the Dread Guard gear set and much more!

• Claim Your Rewards – Renewing your subscription now will qualify you to receive a grant of Cartel Coins* (good for purchase of in-game items) at the launch of the Free-to-Play option this Fall.
    • New Challenges to Face – New Operation: Terror from Beyond is the most challenging and rewarding Operation to date. Get ready to face one of the largest and most dangerous enemies ever unleashed in The Old Republic. Group up and find out if you can save the galaxy!
    • Expanded Group Finder Features – Join a group for an Operation or Flashpoint and return to your previous location when you’ve completed the mission.
    • Enhanced Customization Options – Show your moods with the new emote modifiers and dress your Companions for success with the new Companion Unify Color option.

Thus must think I am a special kind of stupid to fall for that.  Hey we will give you carell coins, um well according to the fact that is supposed to happen anyways if you ever had a sub, now you have to have your sub active when it goes free to play to get them.

I wish there was a way to reply to that message from EA, but I will say it here. Sorry EA but I am in the least bit not interested.

There are lot of desperate companies out there then because i get these emails from just any MMO that i played in the past including WOW with its 9 mill player base. Damn they must be desperate too.

yes i got email from blizzard in the past .that makes me an idiot player ?

• MoeMoeKyunMoeMoeKyun Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Originally posted by karmath
    I reported my email from them as a phishing scam lol.

deservesa good laugh... :D

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

http://swtor.crystal-dreams.us/?tag=cartel-market quick PTS preview

http://dulfy.net/2012/10/23/swtor-cartel-market-items/#1 pretty big list of what can be bought with cartel coins.

Couldn't find the info on the official website/boards, but am assuming that both above links are legit.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    O my god! It must be pure horror for you:( I can understand you and i will pray for you. First mail of that kind is always hard, i got some 1000000 mails from mmo companies.

Use of disposable, free email accounts eliminates it.

<3 my spam-catchers.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Oddly i got one too even tho all i did was trial it. weird. but not interested in the slightest either.

I find it funny that they want you to sub so badly that they will give you in game currency for stuff haven't they learned from other games examples that Freemium is like sub only in that it makes alot of initial money and then fizzles out. F2P and B2P however are the lasting model. make no mistake SWTOR will be freemium people.

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Oddly i got one too even tho all i did was trial it. weird. but not interested in the slightest either.

I find it funny that they want you to sub so badly that they will give you in game currency for stuff haven't they learned from other games examples that Freemium is like sub only in that it makes alot of initial money and then fizzles out. F2P and B2P however are the lasting model. make no mistake SWTOR will be freemium people.

F2P is the long lasting model?

LOL WUT?