Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you see yourself playing GW2 past 2012?

Comments

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Beauty of GW2 is that you can play it whenever you feel like.

So even if you are bored now - you can feel differently few months from now.

I finally have a MMO that sets me free as a player - to play it how and when I want.

In this MMO, the devs wants you to play how they want; that's where the focus is. If how you want and how they want happen to be the same, then that's peachy :)

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

With the game having no subscription fee, I really don't feel I have to log in to play to get my moneys worth. For this reason I am seeing myself logging in less and less and trying to find an mmo game with a subscription fee, with lots of content (no more gear grinding though like WoW was, looking for more sandbox like AC1, DAOC, and UO was).

GW2 is a good game and you can see everywhere you turn the attention they spent on detail. It being a no subscription game though I can only see myself playing it here and there when there are updates, there's nothing really there to make me want to play everyday though, I have 2 suits of exotic armor and 2 sets of weapons, don't really care about legendaries since the stats are the same. Planetside 2 and maybe Wildstar are looking pretty good for me so far to play alongside GW2 when I play it on occasion. Was really hoping GW2 could have held my attention for much longer though like UO, DAOC, AC1, WoW, did for years.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

It's the best mmo out there atm and the value for money is unsurpassed. Of course I'll be playing it for years to come, especially since I'm primarily a PvP player... and GW2 even made me enjoy PvE like no other game since... dare I say it? Diablo 2.

Will it be my one and only game? No. Will I play it on-and-off for years and buy expansions (if they're anywhere close to original content's quality)? Yes, absolutely and definitely. The sheer amount, quality and polish this game offers for 60 bucks is... unbelievable.

Jeez, people WoW era is over. There won't be another game you'll play like a zombie exclusively for years on end. I love GW2 and I love that it gives me quality entertainment every time I play while leaving me free to enjoy other games and things in life.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I finally have a MMO that sets me free as a player - to play it how and when I want.

Can we put this down on the list of GW2 innovations?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Way to shallow and simplistic for me. I like mmos with depth and real progression.
  • YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by bcbully

Can we put this down on the list of GW2 innovations?

Oh sure, why not, give Arenanet the credit for inventing the lifetime subscription! Who cares, it may turn out that Arenanet also invented the wheel and how to make fire! 

Oh they are so innovative ! They are best at removing stuff from the MMO concept and renaming old stuff like business models with new shiny names and tagging  "B2P" on " their concept" 

Unbelievable.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

The game will last for many years to come, but the population will always be in flux. With any expansion/content patch you will have those who come and eat up the new content, and then stop playing once they get bored. It's the benefit and curse of the B2P nature of the game.

My wife and I play WoW to Raid with friends, but still play GW2 on off nights for something different to do. Other's probably do something similar.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    I don't even know what i am going to tomorrow so talking about past 2012 would be really difficult.
  • FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129

Unfortunately I don't. I already stopped playing out of sheer boredom. I waited five years and my mate and I are both pretty gutted.

The story was completely crap after your 'real' personal story. What's with the introduction of random as sh*t characters and then killing them off? Where did some of the very first characters I met go? And the final battle? What was that? There were some good moments that I remember but most of it was lackluster and not immersive at all.

The game is also way too easy. It's all a grind (realistically I can't see an mmo existing where you aren't required to 'grind' some aspect for certain items/titles/etc) but it's just so easy. They even tried to limit how much you can grind because it was so easy!

PvP is fun but obtaining titles/gear is also way too easy which just makes them feel worthless and the PvP itself isn't enough to keep me playing until I can get my friends on to make a 5 man team.

Overall it's not a bad game, there just isn't any incentive for me to keep playing. In saying that though, I do love GW1 holiday events and I'll be collecting all the hats in GW2 (there better be f******* hats!).

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Karteli

Longevity really depends on what ArenaNet does.

The game is boring as it is.  Very little character interaction.  no /who.  no /inspect.  limited emotes.  Very little bond to other characters in the game.

Guilds are pointless in a game called Guild Wars.  Join a guild for a glorified chat room, essentially.

Do stuff as a guild?  I can do everything solo.  Guilds are useless. (dungeons are useless and I don't bother, gear can be bought on the trader [AH], and gold is easy to obtain)

When I play, I end up just screwing around, but it's all pointless.  There is no player to player competition, no rivalries, no need to love or hate any other player.  Other players are just existing also for no reason.  They may as well be NPC's.  Everything is empty in this game.  No emotion.

Saddening, but it's up to ArenaNet to remedy this.  I don't see much longevity with this game.

Obviously you never did you research.

Dungeons pointless?  It's the cosmetic items and challenge, if you want epeen gear form dungeons then look elsewhere.

Guilds pointless?  Guilds are a social outlet, that is what it was intended and always have been identified as such.  Later down the road there will be GvG stuff but no now.  And Guild Wars is something in the lore.

Since when does emotes, /who, /inspect give a game any more player interaction?

ANet specifically opted for a no rivalry design.

Next time do a lil research of a game instead of just following hype n then troll around about how a game did not live up to your expectations when your expectations go against what the Developer's philosophies are.

Originally posted by Ambros123

The game is boring as it is.  Very little character interaction.  no /who.  no /inspect.  limited emotes.  Very little bond to other characters in the game.

Guilds are pointless in a game called Guild Wars.  Join a guild for a glorified chat room, essentially.

Do stuff as a guild?  I can do everything solo.  Guilds are useless. (dungeons are useless and I don't bother, gear can be bought on the trader [AH], and gold is easy to obtain)

When I play, I end up just screwing around, but it's all pointless.  There is no player to player competition, no rivalries, no need to love or hate any other player.  Other players are just existing also for no reason.  They may as well be NPC's.  Everything is empty in this game.  No emotion.

Saddening, but it's up to ArenaNet to remedy this.  I don't see much longevity with this game.

Dungeons pointless?  It's the cosmetic items and challenge, if you want epeen gear form dungeons then look elsewhere.

Guilds pointless?  Guilds are a social outlet, that is what it was intended and always have been identified as such.  Later down the road there will be GvG stuff but no now.  And Guild Wars is something in the lore.

Next time do a lil research of a game instead of just following hype n then troll around about how a game did not live up to your expectations when your expectations go against what the Developer's philosophies are.

The post you quoted said nothing explicitely about his expectations. 

Originally posted by SuperXero89

If you play for a week then stop for awhile and pick it back up a month later, you stopped playing after a week.

If you play for 6 months then stop playing for awhile and pick it back up two months later, you stopped playing after 6 months.

The idea that GW2 somehow has more longevity because it is designed to be played intermittently is just silly.  For one night, just eat a sandwich instead of going out for dinner, and you can basically afford a month's subscription to SW:TOR, WoW, Rift, or any other similar MMO.  My point is, we quit MMOs and come back to them all the time.  Last Christmas, I played SW:TOR 15 hours straight on launch day and about 5-8 hours a day after that for a solid month.  Towards the end of the month, I played less because I got bored.  SW:TOR only lasted me a month as a "main MMORPG."  GW2 should be no different.  I'll give the game 6 months, but after that if not beforehand, people will be busy checking out other games and GW2 will settle down towards a medium-sized community like all other successful post-WoW MMOs.

Quiting a game for a month or wahtever for a break is not quiting.  Quiting would be if you stopped n waited till the next expansion came out or some major patch semi-expansion patch.  People dive into games unhealthy and in no way how it was intended.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

The post you quoted said nothing explicitey about his expectations. 

It did and his post history reflects it.  He is like the many expecting many core WoW features only to be dissatisfied when it's not there nor was it ever indicated that it was going to be there.

• FuerchtegottFuerchtegott Member Posts: 79
    Since it has no subs, there is, by definition, no such thing as leaving the game. Also, since I am super casual regarding the amount of time I can invest in this game, I would be surprised if I reached lvl 80 with one toon in less than 6 month. And I have too much fun playing with several of the classes...
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Already stopped playing.   I bought GW2 cause was intrigued of their b2p model and how it affect game design and gameplay + was intrigued with DE system and it's hype.

For me it does not have lonevity.  Exploration is "completing map on 100% and uncovering all points like 18/18" which totaly is not like virtual world for me at all.     DE's are not what I hoped. They play role of quests and there are plenty of them and on short timer,  frequently I was seeing one event 5+ times when roaming / gathering on area.   I thought they would be much rarer events that will impact area they take place for long hours, days and if few selected ones maybe even longer.

Don't really like combat, but that's personal preference.   Heavy zoning also put me off quite a bit.  Also I am not into arenas much, so overally meh - first mmorpg I bought in 1,5 year and I've stopped playing after less than 40 hours according to /age.

Just not my type of mmorpg, totally not.  For those who like it is propably nice as it have some nice things (like size of cities, NPC walking, etc).    

In matter on longevity this game for me is very weak.

It did and his post history reflects it.  He is like the many expecting many core WoW features only to be dissatisfied when it's not there nor was it ever indicated that it was going to be there.

To explicitely say something about one's expectations, one has to say "I expected this and that" or "My expectations were this and that". Just because you dislike something, it doesn't mean that you expected to like it; it is possible that you weren't sure about something and were still willing to give it a try, but that doesn't mean that you expected to like that something or expected that something to work in a certain manner.

Originally posted by Fuerchtegott
    Since it has no subs, there is, by definition, no such thing as leaving the game. Also, since I am super casual regarding the amount of time I can invest in this game, I would be surprised if I reached lvl 80 with one toon in less than 6 month. And I have too much fun playing with several of the classes...

You do realize that paying subscription is not equivalent with playing the game? So in theory, I coud pay a subscription for a game for months without actually logging in a single time, but according to your implied definition that would not mean that I had left the game?. I would argue that in such case I would have left the game (it is possible that I didn't even enter the game) since I do no longer play it.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by fenistil

Already stopped playing.   I bought GW2 cause was intrigued of their b2p model and how it affect game design and gameplay + was intrigued with DE system and it's hype.

For me it does not have lonevity.  Exploration is "completing map on 100% and uncovering all points like 18/18" which totaly is not like virtual world for me at all.     DE's are not what I hoped. They play role of quests and there are plenty of them and on short timer,  frequently I was seeing one event 5+ times when roaming / gathering on area.   I thought they would be much rarer events that will impact area they take place for long hours, days and if few selected ones maybe even longer.

Follow the dynamic event chains in Orr and you will be throwing away 4-6 hours before you do the whole zone. The problem you had is that you were in low level areas with easy DEs with a solid population that ensured they never failed. Now that the 80 zerg rush is gone, the zones look very different, with encampments getting taken over by mobs and players leveling alts having to organise to get together and take areas back.

Don't really like combat, but that's personal preference.   Heavy zoning also put me off quite a bit.  Also I am not into arenas much, so overally meh - first mmorpg I bought in 1,5 year and I've stopped playing after less than 40 hours according to /age.

Heavy zoning? While you are leveling you barely have to zone once every 5 hours. Its not like you fly through 10-15 levels in 5 minutes. Only time you would see heavy zoning is if you were doing sPvP or dungeons constantly, and even then the load screens are shorter than any other MMO I have played.

Just not my type of mmorpg, totally not.  For those who like it is propably nice as it have some nice things (like size of cities, NPC walking, etc).    

In matter on longevity this game for me is very weak.

If you missed out on all the cool dynamic events by rushing around 'completing' zones then I feel sorry for you. But this game has tonnes of longevity. Between the 5 racial stories, the multiple levelling paths, WvW and sPvP this game isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

If you dont like the game, thats fine, but that isnt representative of the games longevity, just your own personal taste in games. Anyone who likes what GW2 is will enjoy the game for quite some time, certainly long enough for them to release an expansion.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    The only thing lamer than these type post/polls is the fact They irritate me so much! The OP description of the game has never been my experience at all. Guild Wars 2 is an incredibly entertaining experience unless you are a burn out or have an old PC. Show me another game that has offered so much as GW2. If you are not enjoying the game go some where else. Simple as that. 
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Lustmord

I bought it... It's really good on a technical level, I guess.

But I was turned off by the personal stories. I didn't like my character speaking for me.

I would play it for a couple hours, get bored and not play for a couple days.

I got a necromancer and engineer to lvl 11 each, and I was just bored.

It is a ROLE PLAYING game. You are supposed to be playing a role of this character in this game. That is why it is a mmoRPg with RP standing for Role Playing.

I think MMO's are not for you then.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by cag1980
    I have already stopped playing. Was so looking forward to GW2 as I loved the first but for me something is missing in the game, I can't quite put my finger on it as I have tried to play a few times now and it just feels soul less. Its the only way I can think of to describe it.

I'll take a guess and try to answer that. GW2 lacks any kind of Meta-Game.  MMOs with real longjevity have this. They provide you with many other things to do at different levels. GW2 is basically WYSIWYG. Crafting is probably the closest thing to Meta-Game, but in GW2, it's not even really worth doing. By nature, I am drawn to games with rich crafting. I loved SWG, but hated the fact that I couldn't craft on my combat toon. I would have probably made Ryzom my main game if the crafting grind wasn't so far over the top. I thought GW2's crafting was going to hold me for a long time since it looked like I could make anything I wanted given the time to invest, but it turned out that it's really not worth it. This is why I have left disappointed in the game. Once I saw that the crafting element just wasn't "there" for me, it was all over. Sad really.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by CallsignVega

What are your thoughts on the topic and do you agree/disagree?

Why is someone else's play habits of interest to you?  Seeking peer support?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Lustmord

I bought it... It's really good on a technical level, I guess.

But I was turned off by the personal stories. I didn't like my character speaking for me.

I would play it for a couple hours, get bored and not play for a couple days.

I got a necromancer and engineer to lvl 11 each, and I was just bored.

It is a ROLE PLAYING game. You are supposed to be playing a role of this character in this game. That is why it is a mmoRPg with RP standing for Role Playing.

I think MMO's are not for you then.

Role-playing does not automatically require the devs to a large extent decide what your character says or doesn't say. You can, in theory, choose yourself what role your character will play if the game is designed to allow it. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
     There is no player to player competition, no rivalries, no need to love or hate any other player.  Other players are just existing also for no reason.  They may as well be NPC's.  Everything is empty in this game.  No emotion.

To explicitely say something about one's expectations, one has to say "I expected this and that" or "My expectations were this and that". Just because you dislike something, it doesn't mean that you expected to like it; it is possible that you weren't sure about something and were still willing to give it a try, but that doesn't mean that you expected to like that something or expected that something to work in a certain manner.

read the "rivalry" part i quoted

- he defines PVP as requiring his version of rivalry - thats an expectation

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by CallsignVega

What are your thoughts on the topic and do you agree/disagree?

Why is someone else's play habits of interest to you?  Seeking peer support?

Many folks need to feel like being part of the "winning tribe". Now to define what "winning" means... ;-)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !