Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My "star" rating went down, and I don't have a reason to attribute for this

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Hello,

Trivial, sure.  My Star raing went down, and I can't figure out why.  I was good and to my knowledge nothing I posted was rude or otherwise against the rules.

I received no notifications.  I've been active and started tonight with a smideon over 4 stars, but am ending with just over 3 now.  I posted and was active.  I'm not aware of any altercations or mod edits.

Any reason for this? 

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

It is possible that they locked or deleted a thread you commented on.

It also doesn't matter one bit. Star only means that you're active on this site, nothing else.

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149
    Heh I lost a star on a diablo 3 joke.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Aye it's just the "anonymous" drecrement of stars that is suspect.

It is meaningless, as to accessing this site, but it leaves room to wonder if certain mods are controlling ratings of a poster, regardless of the quality of the posts, simply on their personal like or dislike of a poster.

So it is trivial, but why bother having a Star system if it can be meddled with, even perhaps unbenounced to the site owner (who would likely not approve of meddling).?

If a star decrement is awarded to a poster, it should be documented, along with who did the modification, and why - even if no infraction was involved.

In contrast, I also got a +1 star for posting something postive in the GW2 forums once, also anonymously .. MmmHmmm...  kinda hokey :P

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Star increment is based purely on forum activity and logins on the site. Your star points also decrease over time if you don't log or post frequently enough. I wouldn't sweat about it.
  • HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91

I was curious a little while back as to why my stars were relatively high since I don't post frequently so I looked into the system. One thing I found is that the length of your posts matters as that is a perceived sign of "quality" posts. I noticed that one day when I was fairly active and posted some short response posts my rating went down. 

I also wanted to add that the process is automated so I doubt there is any manipulation gong on. Here is how the rank is determined:

Ranks are calculated every day at 2:00AM EST.  They are only based on the last 30 days of data.  We look at the following factors when determining your rank:

• How many days you visited the site (and logged in).  This is also counted when you use our "autologin" feature.
    • How much information you have posted in our forums (not the amount of posts)
    • The quality of your posts.  If you post lot of "filler" posts that only consist of a few words this will cost you rank points.
    • Any posts of yours that had to be deleted will cost you 5 rank points (there are only 100 total).  To prevent your posts from being deleted, please obey our Rules of Conduct.
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

It's definitely the length of your post, my star rating is all over the place and i post pretty actively, when i start lurking more and posting longer things the star rating flies up as well.

basically to encourage people to be constructive i guess.