Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legendary

WARCRYtmWARCRYtm Member Posts: 875

Best review ever.

See the last 5 minuts

Guild wars 2 Angry Joe Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-_06Acj8Y&feature=related

Regards

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Can't argue with that. It's what the nit-pickers are all missing.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Good lord - I actually found a reviewer I like!  He's articulate, focussed, observant, entertaining and avoids the cardinal sin of saying "Ummm" every other word and also (thank the gods) avoids using an overly-loud, cookie-cutter rock track as backing music.  I must check out some of his other game reviews...
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Not to rain on your parade but Joe reviewed the game almost a month ago and there have been threads about it already.

And yes, I like Joes reviews as well (He and Totalbiscuit are by far my favorite reviewers since long back). But old stuff.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Well, I've watched about 7 minutes of the guy repeating the Anet manifesto and was wondering how long did he play the game and how much experience did he actually have with other mmorpgs.

So far, by watching just those 7 minutes I'd like to comment that:

• There is zero difference between hearts and hub questing. In fact hearts are more unnatural than having an NPC ask you for stuff to do (instead of walking in an area and pop, there's a list of stuff to do)
    • The group events in GW2 are as community oriented as Rift's events, ie not at all.
    • The main group encounters, like the dragon he showed are actually not random at all but on a strict timer.
    Well made video for sure, but he just took the Anet manifesto script and re-read it.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Well, I've watched about 7 minutes of the guy repeating the Anet manifesto and was wondering how long did he play the game and how much experience did he actually have with other mmorpgs.

• There is zero difference between hearts and hub questing. In fact hearts are more unnatural than having an NPC ask you for stuff to do (instead of walking in an area and pop, there's a list of stuff to do)
    • The group events in GW2 are as community oriented as Rift's events, ie not at all.
    • The main group encounters, like the dragon he showed are actually not random at all but on a strict timer.
    Well made video for sure, but he just took the Anet manifesto script and re-read it.

I agree with this point. After playing GW2 for a month and goign through multiple zones atleast twice i know what event is going to start where and when. There is hardly anything random or dynamic about this when players time the events and know exactly when for example shatterer is going to appear.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

That is why the currency is called 'Karma'. Believe it or not, you dont need to wait for someone to ask to do a nice thing for them. If you do a nice thing for them, and speak to them afterwards, often they will be grateful, which is fairly natural.
    Personal experience may differ, you get out what you put into the game. Antisocial people will have antisocial experiences. Only socially awkward people need forced grouping to chat and work as a team.
    True, the big zone bosses are on a timer, the rest of the area changes based on where the chain of events is sitting. I have had completely different zone experiences on my second character compared to my first. With the mass zerg to 80 gone there is now much more need for communication and working together to get the zone events working in favour of the heros, otherwise the zones are overrun by enemies.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

"Eliminates Fetch Quests"

Really?  What else can events which require to go "fetch" Harpy Glands, Artifacts, or any other amount of things in the game be called?  Fetch Events?

"Eliminates Camping"

Really?  I hate seeing other players camping events.  Have fun competing with AoE tagging in Cursed Shore to get credit for events and kills.  What else do you call all the bots camping or players camping events?  ETA on dragon?

I didn't make it any farther in the video as I'm going back to playing.  I do enjoy the game, but all the stuff everyone is claiming that they have done with GW2 is beyond me.  

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by evilastro

That is why the currency is called 'Karma'. Believe it or not, you dont need to wait for someone to ask to do a nice thing for them. If you do a nice thing for them, and speak to them afterwards, often they will be grateful, which is fairly natural.
    Personal experience may differ, you get out what you put into the game. Antisocial people will have antisocial experiences. Only socially awkward people need forced grouping to chat and work as a team.
    True, the big zone bosses are on a timer, the rest of the area changes based on where the chain of events is sitting. I have had completely different zone experiences on my second character compared to my first. With the mass zerg to 80 gone there is now much more need for communication and working together to get the zone events working in favour of the heros, otherwise the zones are overrun by enemies.

The best (fastest) way to generate karma in the game is by being active in WvW (ie killing people, taking their stuff and being overall nasty). Karma has nothing to do with being nice nor is a way to distinguish a good person from a bad. And if you have more karma than me, it doesn't mean that you are more social than me, or less, for that matter.

Obviously the more social people will have a more social experience anywhere. And mmorpgs in general have tried for sometime now to promote ways that would reduce grieving. That does't mean that the act of participating in a group event is a social aspect by itself though. You could replace all those people with bots and have the same effect.

The dynamic events in general are indeed a step forwards than the generic quest system. The hearts are not, they are just hub quests bunched up with an OR argument instead of an AND one. The zone group events are quite impressive the first few times somebody participates, but they are not dynamic at all.