Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

GW2 & TSW Metacritic user scores.

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane OsloPosts: 5,353Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Well both scores look silly when you take into account the ridiculously high scores given to swtor and d3

If you just pve, tsw probably is that close to gw2.

Thing is gw2 offers you more choices, tournaments, WvW as a guild, de chains and bosses as a guild, crafting meaningful gear etc..

Tsw has better lore And dungeons though

See and that is just a shame right here. And maybe it's also Funcom's fault for not having it advertised and highlighted more.

But TSW has zone, area and world bosses that you can spawn that can reward you one of the best rewards in the game.

The effort it takes to collect the puzzle pieces to spawn a zone boss makes it pretty much a perfect guild activity.

Then you need to farm puzzle pieces from zone bosses to then spawn the Area boss.

And last but not least you farm Area bosses to collect the final pieces to spawn the World Boss. (I haven't come that far yet, as if there is one world boss or several type of world bosses).

But the above is actually a pretty unique and exciting endgame feature for guilds or group of friends, PuGs to strive for.

So really.... it isn't just nightmare mode dungeons as endgame, next to PVP (some like it, some don't.)

The crafting system isn't too bad either and is actually well thought out and pretty great when you get the hang of it.

I think too many people have gotten on the "I hate everything Funcom/Failcom!" bandwagon and never really gave this game the chance it deserves.

There is a lot more to it and a lot more to do then people realize. :-/

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Yeah but hardcore dunguneeering is the "pinnacle" in tsw. You have to do dungeons to get 10.4, and no doubt the new raid for 10.5. You certainly cant craft or quest for the best gear like you can in gw2.

Also the pvp, might have cut it against rift or swtor or whatever, but its 2008 pvp not 2012 pvp doesn't stand a chance against gw2, ps2, probably TESO etc..
    Yeah but hardcore dunguneeering is the "pinnacle" in tsw. You have to do dungeons to get 10.4, and no doubt the new raid for 10.5. You certainly cant craft or quest for the best gear like you can in gw2.

Also the pvp, might have cut it against rift or swtor or whatever, but its 2008 pvp not 2012 pvp doesn't stand a chance against gw2, ps2, probably TESO etc..

Well people bash PVP in TSW, but truth is that I have more fun in TSW's PVP than in GW2's WvWvW PVP which is just a borefest to me.

I got sick and tired of all the walking I had to do each and everytime I died, as hardly anyone bothered rezzing people on the field due to all the AoE spam in WvWvW, making rezzing pretty much impossible and forces you to rez at the spawnpoint and spend a ridiculous amount of time walking back to the action.

Heaven forbid there's consequences to dieing.

But anyway strongly disagree, WvW is the best attempt at large scale pvp since planetside.

Tsw fusang is only slightly better than bloody illum in swtor.

I liked the game while leveling, but was mightily disappointed in the same old stale "raiders first" endgame we've had to put up with for the past 8 years.

But anyway strongly disagree, WvW is the best attempt at large scale pvp since planetside.

I liked the game while leveling, but was mightily disappointed in the same old stale "raiders first" endgame we've had to put up with for the past 8 years.

What concequences are there in WvWvW, when certain classes and lvl80's are constantly one shotting everyone around them.

There is nothing more frustrating then spending over 5 minutes walking back to the action, get one shotted and then have to spend another 5 minutes walking back again, again and again.

And then we are not even talking about the exploiters and hacks that are currently being used.

Sorry, but then I actually rather play Fusang and have some fun with guildies and not get one shotted all the time nor spend 5 minutes walking each time I die.

There is nothing grandscale about WvWvW... especially the last days I played before I stopped, when I saw less and less people participating in WvWvW, because of frustration and all the crap that is going on.

Err the consequence for suicidal play is a 5 minute walk back to the action.
    There's certainly nothing greenscale about fusang. About a 10th of the size of WvW, only 2 factions seem to have any players, and you have a bunch of people pvping in every 30 mins to pve an empty facility. Oh and ever better the epic whine you get from players on your own side for actually pvping - "just let them take it, then we can take it back for more tokens"

It's "pvp" for pveers
    Oh forgot, hardcore pveers in 10.4 going around one shotting people who pvp'd for their gear.
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Neverneverland, TNPosts: 877Member
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Edited.. I didn't realize that the thread STARTED the same way.  Necro'ing a thread to talk about a 10th of a point is kind of lame.

bcbully is just trying real hard to make himself feel better with his precious TSW, that is all

Err the consequence for suicidal play is a 5 minute walk back to the action.

So you are basically saying to avoid the action and go PVE in WvWvW.... oh the irony!

I was very much looking forward to WvWvW in GW2, but was sorely dissapointed!

I had way more fun in the RvR lakes in WAR in the 5 months I played it, while with GW2 I got bored after 2 weeks.

I might have played WAR a lot longer, if it wasn't for my server's population dying out after those 5 months. /shrug

At least in WAR sieging was fun.

War was alright (well until bioware changed it to rvr for dummies)

But...

2 sides
    Lots of small lakes rather than 1 huge pvp area
    A campaign that had to be reset (rather than say taking a neutral city like praag or mordheim)
    AND way too easy reinforcement

Worked against it.

But at least you arent sticking to the ridiculous "tsw has better pvp than gw2" line. It's arguable which game has the better pve, I prefer both for leveling compared to the wow clone / quest hub approach. Tsw probably has the best dungeons going, but... i only run dungeons a couple of times then I'm done with them, doesn't matter how good they are, they bore me if I have to grind them. Pvp gw2 wins hands down though, its not as good as daoc or planetside at that style of pvp, but its the best example we've had in the past decade.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by Wraithone

The games afoot!!... Waits for the usual flame wars as hysterical fan kiddies and Haters pile on.

Aren't the haters already piling on?  Isn't that how metacritic works?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by bcbully

GW2 8.2 1330 reviews

TSW 8.3 955 reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world

edit  - GW2 is now 8.3.

edit - GW2 is now 8.2

Having played both games I think the critic averages are far more accurate with GW2 at 90 and TSW at 73.

Those fan votes account for less than 0.0005% of GW2s population and 0.005% of TSWs population, which doesnt really make for a very high chance of statistical accuracy of an average score.

• SiugSiug TallinnPosts: 1,236Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by evilastro

GW2 8.2 1330 reviews

TSW 8.3 955 reviews

edit  - GW2 is now 8.3.

edit - GW2 is now 8.2

Having played both games I think the critic averages are far more accurate with GW2 at 90 and TSW at 73.

Those fan votes account for less than 0.0005% of GW2s population and 0.005% of TSWs population, which doesnt really make for a very high chance of statistical accuracy of an average score.

Having played both I think that giving GW2 8.2 is way too generous.

• halflife25halflife25 Toronto, ONPosts: 737Member
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Edited.. I didn't realize that the thread STARTED the same way.  Necro'ing a thread to talk about a 10th of a point is kind of lame.

bcbully is just trying real hard to make himself feel better with his precious TSW, that is all

Everyone has one precious that they would defend with all their vigour and might. lets not be a hypocrite here please.

• KuppaKuppa Boulder, COPosts: 3,292Member Uncommon
    What is the point of this thread?

• SiugSiug TallinnPosts: 1,236Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    What is the point of this thread?

Tbh no point imo.

• QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 5,969Member Common
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Everyone has one precious that they would defend with all their vigour and might. lets not be a hypocrite here please.

Speak for yourself.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• RandaynRandayn Sellersville, PAPosts: 883Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Celcius
    Take a look at the more important, critic score. That has a much bigger impact on the success of the game. Evidenced by the fact that TSW has failed miserably, caused significant layoffs within Funcom, delayed content updates, resignation of one of the biggest names at the company, and a possible new direction for the company as a whole. Meanwhile, GW2 has had record breaking sales and continues to be one of the top sellers on every gaming website. Did I mention that ArenaNet is still hiring after the launch of their game? I know that the raid content for TSW did not come in the 2nd update and is probably not going to be out for longer still.. This crusade against GW2 has proven nothing but your ignorance of the gaming industry.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahah.....hahahahahahahahahah

Have you read the reviews for TSW?  Even MMORPG.COM didn't play the game at length before reviewing.  If you've played TSW and then went and read critic reviews (cept for maybe 1 or 2 no name reviews) it was blatantly obvious that the critics might have played the game for all of 2-6 hours, only doing the first dungeon.  The pictures they included in their reviews were pictures that were around prior to closed beta starting.  I believe one even commented on the fact that the ENTIRE game world has mob density issues...that's actually only true in Blue Mountain and a small part of the area before that...and they actually fixed the mob density issue there about a week into launch if I remember correctly.

Critics have 0 credibility anymore....I remember sitting around for 2 months waiting for reviews of MMORPG's that just launched because the critics actually played through the game before commenting...now most don't even download it...

• ArglebargleArglebargle Austin, TXPosts: 1,416Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Wraithone

The games afoot!!... Waits for the usual flame wars as hysterical fan kiddies and Haters pile on.

Aren't the haters already piling on?  Isn't that how metacritic works?

Yeah. The failure really is the thinking that Metacritic numbers mean something. 

I find the individual reviews sometimes useful, as they can pinpoint certain mechanics or design choices that I might find great or terrible.   Gives me a better idea as to whether I want to invest in the game.   But the numbers?    'Lies, damn lies, and statistics....'

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• RandaynRandayn Sellersville, PAPosts: 883Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

User score update -

GW2 8.2

TSW 8.3 

The TSW is an oddity to me.  It is almost boggling how a game can look so interesting (I haven't got to play it yet) and rate so high, yet have such abysmal sales and retention.

Outside of their idiotic choice to include raiding in a game that doesn't seem to fit that system, the game seems solid.  I would agree with the other poster above that pointed to changing how you play the game at level cap was a mistake.  I don't think there is enough room to repeat that too often in the genre, yet many people are trying to do that.

Anyway, I'm sure the game is very good and deserves that score (I've said in other posts I'm a huge fan of Ragnar), but that isn't all there is to success with an MMO.  It matters if the game is profitible and popular.  The thing remarkable about GW2s score isn't just that it is that high despite the agenda of those who wish otherwise, but that it's also hugely successful and will continue to be so because it's business model is also wildly popular.

just a note...although it did have trouble with sales, retention does not seem to be a problem.  Im sure there are some that jumped ship, but many have stayed.

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Originally posted by evilastro

GW2 8.2 1330 reviews

TSW 8.3 955 reviews

edit  - GW2 is now 8.3.

edit - GW2 is now 8.2

Having played both I think that giving GW2 8.2 is way too generous.

Having played both I think giving TSW a 73 is way too generous.

• ZeroxinZeroxin LondonPosts: 2,521Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nitre
    great ratings never managed to save a game from failure after release..and we seeing both games failing right now (especially gw2)

That's the great thing about games like GW2, they technically never fail till everyone stops buying stuff in their cash shop. GW1 didn't "fail" with it's low playerbase, don't see GW2 "failing" either.

This is not a game.

• korent1991korent1991 CakovecPosts: 1,390Member
    Originally posted by dariuszp

GW2 8.4 1330 reviews

TSW 8.3 955 reviews

So ? 

GW2: 90 / 100

TSW: 75 / 100

When game is highly recomended by people and crytics, you know you have something good in your hands (GW2, EVE, DAOC, EQ etc...)

If game is highly recomended only by people, you know that it's just poor game filled with fanboys (TSW)

When game is highly recomended by crytics but not people, you know that it's a poor game made by someone well known (TOR)

When game is not recomended by both crytics and people, you know to stay away (others).

Questions ?

That's one way of looking at it forsure. I don't know if I agree with the orange, although it could be true and a good way to gauge a game.

this proves to be the best way, yes... So far it has been correct.

btw... I'm just wondering. Those who are saying GW2 or TSW is failing. What exactly are your definitions of failing for GW2 or TSW?

Since GW2 actually can't fail like SWTOR did because of it's B2P model.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• RizelStarRizelStar Raleigh, NCPosts: 2,773Member
    Originally posted by JeroKane

What concequences are there in WvWvW, when certain classes and lvl80's are constantly one shotting everyone around them.

There is nothing more frustrating then spending over 5 minutes walking back to the action, get one shotted and then have to spend another 5 minutes walking back again, again and again.

And then we are not even talking about the exploiters and hacks that are currently being used.

Sorry, but then I actually rather play Fusang and have some fun with guildies and not get one shotted all the time nor spend 5 minutes walking each time I die.

There is nothing grandscale about WvWvW... especially the last days I played before I stopped, when I saw less and less people participating in WvWvW, because of frustration and all the crap that is going on.

What game is being talked about here?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.