Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you see yourself playing GW2 past 2012?

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I see a lack of retention in GW2. its gonna have its hardcore community that play it constantly, just like every game. GW2 has no difficulty drawing people to the game. however alot of posts i've read have talked about the difficulty of holding onto said players.

TSW has the opposate problem. We can hold onto our players just fine, However with the Funcom Logo put on it. A large chunk of the MMO population wont even give the game the light of day.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Rayshe

I see a lack of retention in GW2. its gonna have its hardcore community that play it constantly, just like every game. GW2 has no difficulty drawing people to the game. however alot of posts i've read have talked about the difficulty of holding onto said players.

TSW has the opposate problem. We can hold onto our players just fine, However with the Funcom Logo put on it. A large chunk of the MMO population wont even give the game the light of day.

TSW would have been more successful if it didn't have EA smeared on it :-(

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by Karteli

Longevity really depends on what ArenaNet does.

The game is boring as it is.  Very little character interaction.  no /who.  no /inspect.  limited emotes.  Very little bond to other characters in the game.

Guilds are pointless in a game called Guild Wars.  Join a guild for a glorified chat room, essentially.

Do stuff as a guild?  I can do everything solo.  Guilds are useless. (dungeons are useless and I don't bother, gear can be bought on the trader [AH], and gold is easy to obtain)

When I play, I end up just screwing around, but it's all pointless.  There is no player to player competition, no rivalries, no need to love or hate any other player.  Other players are just existing also for no reason.  They may as well be NPC's.  Everything is empty in this game.  No emotion.

Saddening, but it's up to ArenaNet to remedy this.  I don't see much longevity with this game.

Guild are good if you need a group for dungeons,WvWvW, SPvP, tournaments and social activity. It is what you make it!

Dungeons are fun and rewarding. If you want cool gear, dungeons is for you. 

I've got 29% world completion, not lvl 80 story done yet, not PvPed, not maxxed craftings, no legendaries, no full dungeon set on my main character with 200 hours played....and i still have 5 other characters to play. 

This game is not for you, or you play it wrong.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

The game is boring as it is.  Very little character interaction.  no /who.  no /inspect.  limited emotes.  Very little bond to other characters in the game.

Guilds are pointless in a game called Guild Wars.  Join a guild for a glorified chat room, essentially.

Do stuff as a guild?  I can do everything solo.  Guilds are useless. (dungeons are useless and I don't bother, gear can be bought on the trader [AH], and gold is easy to obtain)

When I play, I end up just screwing around, but it's all pointless.  There is no player to player competition, no rivalries, no need to love or hate any other player.  Other players are just existing also for no reason.  They may as well be NPC's.  Everything is empty in this game.  No emotion.

Saddening, but it's up to ArenaNet to remedy this.  I don't see much longevity with this game.

Guild are good if you need a group for dungeons,WvWvW, SPvP, tournaments and social activity. It is what you make it!

I've got 29% world completion, not lvl 80 story done yet, not PvPed, not maxxed craftings, no legendaries, no full dungeon set on my main character with 200 hours played....and i still have 5 other characters to play. 

It makes no difference if this game is for me or not.  I paid my money to play.  I will play, or I will complain about features.  Making me go away won't happen.  I'll be understanding to others feelings, as I would expect them to be understanding to mine.

There is nothing fun or rewarding from dungeons, they are a major pain, and the rewards are nil.  I am already in full exotic gear (best in game).  Legendaries don't excite me, as there is nobody to show them off to, no living world, it's empty.

I'm also not an altaholic, I'd rather play and become good with one character.  GW2 seems like the easy solution for this, since every character can tank, dps, or heal regardless of any chosen class profession.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

ah, the old, your playing it wrong, argument.. which almost begs the question, is the lack of flexibility a game flaw, or a game mechanic, forcing players to play in a 'certain way' implies that the games combat mechanics are somehow stilted, and do not have the flexibility to cope with player 'innovation' . Perhaps thats an area that Arenanet should be looking at also, play styles are as unique a flavour to a game as the lack of ability to support it is a flaw.image

• IntheShadowsIntheShadows Member Posts: 58

Right now I'm logging in when I'm bored.

My husband and I are slowly getting through map completion. My interest was falling off before his, but now I see him lacking motivation to log in either. Our guild is almost dead as well.  It's a shame because I really want to like this game (and I do in small bursts), but I can see myself putting it down one day and forgetting about it. :(

At least things like Halloween and Christmas events are giving me something to look forward to.

• AshenTechAshenTech Member Posts: 30

I see this issue alot, many people who need the WoW style carrot on a stick and the WoW style artificial conflict (horde/ally) to enjoy a game, because thats what they where trained to need/want/expect.

I grew up in a time pre-WoW, playing Ultima Online, a game where there where no factions, just other players, as such, I didnt have this "must hate XXX" crap trained into me.(i also didnt have the need for levels or achievements or uber gear thrust on me either) 

if a person cant step outside what they expect/are use to and learn a new way, they are better off sticking to the model they are use to.

I like the lack of conflict in the PVE world, I like the fact that im not forced to join a group to do anything, now, im not anti-social, unlike the fellow you quoted, I have friends who game with me, I also let people know in map chat when an event is up, and at times sit and talk with people in map chat about various things, its fun, and its far better then being forced to find 4 other people to party with to do anything fun.....

i want to see this fellow soly the champion cave troll 6 of us got wiped by tonight(in a cave under the sp at the onclave type place....cant remeber the name of the place.....), that sucker was a pain, hit hard, caused excessive bleeding, and his bodyguards kept respawning, 2 of us where 80's in full exotics and we all kept dropping.....i blame tight quarters and him being a bit over powered for the area....but it was fun......and all i did to get some help was /m "champ troll under {waypoing} is up, so is champ wyrm"   people came flooding in.....thats one great thing about this game, just let people know whats up and where, and they come flooding in :D

• LostHawkLostHawk Member UncommonPosts: 56

From time to time when bored.

Already two level 80, some tradeskills at 400 and other achievements.

I am not into sPvP and WvW got boring.

But I don't regret buying it for sure. Difficult to beat xxx hours of entertainment time for that price.

Can't wait for more PvE content.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Not to derail the subject but you do realize TSW has lost over half its already meager population since it come out right?

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by AshenTech

I see this issue alot, many people who need the WoW style carrot on a stick and the WoW style artificial conflict (horde/ally) to enjoy a game, because thats what they where trained to need/want/expect.

I grew up in a time pre-WoW, playing Ultima Online, a game where there where no factions, just other players, as such, I didnt have this "must hate XXX" crap trained into me.(i also didnt have the need for levels or achievements or uber gear thrust on me either) 

if a person cant step outside what they expect/are use to and learn a new way, they are better off sticking to the model they are use to.

I like the lack of conflict in the PVE world, I like the fact that im not forced to join a group to do anything, now, im not anti-social, unlike the fellow you quoted, I have friends who game with me, I also let people know in map chat when an event is up, and at times sit and talk with people in map chat about various things, its fun, and its far better then being forced to find 4 other people to party with to do anything fun.....

i want to see this fellow soly the champion cave troll 6 of us got wiped by tonight(in a cave under the sp at the onclave type place....cant remeber the name of the place.....), that sucker was a pain, hit hard, caused excessive bleeding, and his bodyguards kept respawning, 2 of us where 80's in full exotics and we all kept dropping.....i blame tight quarters and him being a bit over powered for the area....but it was fun......and all i did to get some help was /m "champ troll under {waypoing} is up, so is champ wyrm"   people came flooding in.....thats one great thing about this game, just let people know whats up and where, and they come flooding in :D

One of many reasons why this games community is the best since pre-WoW.  I find myself in this situation every single day and it never fails to deliver.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I will play on and off for the next few years. My life is very busy right now so i play for an hour or two every few days> my highest character is only 23 . Its going to take me another few months to reach 80 if i only play one class and right now i am playing three. The fact that i dont hvae to worry about a sub helps too. If i miss a month or two i dont feel like i missed anything.
  • cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

Yes. And to you, OP, I disagree.

The game is admittedly not for everyone. I've played absurdly priced online mud games pre-dating MMOs and this game gives me that same vibe I've felt in those games. It is solo-friendly in that your progress will not be blocked if you play solo. However, you will want to take a plunge and join a guild of like-minded people if you wish to really enjoy the game.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I'll be playing it for the pvp for a long time as long as Anet fixes some of the issues. I still play Call of Duty 4 and still pvp in City of Heroes until that closes in November.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

You're not serious, right? You're joking here?

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I see that there is probably about 3 months of material at the moment between PvE, exploring, PvP. I am talking mainly about the average person's experience playing pretty consistently but not hardcore nor extremely casual.

However, most people will probably be playing like they do GW, i.e. a little bit here and there, and that could extend, well, until the servers are taken down. I see myself only playing it fairly consistently, but it will never be a main MMO or game for me.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by MurlockDance

I see that there is probably about 3 months of material at the moment between PvE, exploring, PvP

Don't forget the upcoming live events, like halloween soon. If it's even half as good as GW1, it will be awesome.

And that's content, too :)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

9-12 months as main game and 3 months after each expansion is how I see it. Then as a backup game for when I need a PvP fix or a dungeon different from what I otherwise play.

But the longevity really depends when Class 4 and WodO comes out because I dont see myself going back to an EQ clone again. GW2 reminded me how fun exploration really is and I ant playing a game without it.

I might give War Z or AA a shot when I tire of GW2 though. Right now it is still fun and I am still playing a lot. My main need a legendary weapon and a few other stuff, then I will start alting seriously.

• cag1980cag1980 Member Posts: 78
    I have already stopped playing. Was so looking forward to GW2 as I loved the first but for me something is missing in the game, I can't quite put my finger on it as I have tried to play a few times now and it just feels soul less. Its the only way I can think of to describe it.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by CallsignVega

From a very experienced MMORPG player's perspective, the writing is already on the wall. This game will be dead by Christmas. 

Shallow game-play, no end game content, unplayable WvW with unbelievable lag and invisible armies of players. image

What are your thoughts on the topic and do you agree/disagree? Is GW2 not what you expected or do you think it's the greatest thing ever? Don't forget to vote!

in short. yes.

Luckily I dont run into those hacking/exploiting players/bots....only encountered 1 so far.

What  do see is lag in WvWvW.

Still it beats other MMOs with terrible communities.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by CallsignVega

From a very experienced MMORPG player's perspective, the writing is already on the wall. This game will be dead by Christmas. 

Shallow game-play, no end game content, unplayable WvW with unbelievable lag and invisible armies of players. image

What are your thoughts on the topic and do you agree/disagree? Is GW2 not what you expected or do you think it's the greatest thing ever? Don't forget to vote!

I would have taken your post more seriously if not for your obvious bias . As plenty of people have pointed out this game has more endgame than any mmo at launch .

Heres a review of the level 80 endgame http://www.inquisitr.com/337505/having-a-blast-playing-guild-wars-2-level-80-and-beyond/

There does need to be more of course and they are working on it as they have said in recent press statements . Thats the great thing about mmos they are always adding content . I don't find the WvW unplayable . Maybe its you computer or your internet connection .

For me its a great second mmo . I play it an hour or two a day alongside Lotro . I'm enjoying the character storys a lot . I can see myself playing well into next year.

Why give up something thats you play when you feel like without there being a subscription . If you get bored simply leave it untill theres new content then come back for that .

I think the OP trolling because of his comments . Still as his poll shows . Hes failed miserably .

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I loved the game.  The crafting (especially cooking, making discoveries) was phenomenal.  However, like most themeparkish games, I burned out relatively quickly - got a thief to 54 and couldn't motivate myself to play any more.  I treied the other classes, same thing.  There's nothing wrong with the game; I'd have to say it's one of the more fun ones out there.

I suppose I'm becoming less of a PvE kinda guy, even though the PvE in GW2 was pretty damn good (up to level 54).  WvWvW - the queue times on Stormbluff Isle can be long and arduous, and even when I got in, it just didn't seem like my kind of PvP.  Same with sPvP - something just wasn't there.

So, I've stopped playing, but I feel no ill will toward the game or ANet.  It was definitely a fun one for a while.  I'm back, once again, to (a very dead) Darkfall, waiting for Unholy Wars.  I keep telling myself that even though I was horrible in the first incarnation of Darkfall for 2 1/2 years, UW will be different and I'll get better.  And still play for a long time...

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by MurlockDance

I see that there is probably about 3 months of material at the moment between PvE, exploring, PvP

Don't forget the upcoming live events, like halloween soon. If it's even half as good as GW1, it will be awesome.

And that's content, too :)

Yeah, I think they have a plan for a regular cadence of updates. If so, I can easily see myself playing well into 2013.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103
    Nope. It has no endgame.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Beauty of GW2 is that you can play it whenever you feel like.

So even if you are bored now - you can feel differently few months from now.

I finally have a MMO that sets me free as a player - to play it how and when I want.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

stopped after the first week as i got totally bored of it..

Saying that as i dont have to re-sub i may pop back down adn then if im bored of everythnig else, but its certainly not a game i would consider playing long term.