Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how hard is eve?

Comments

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

I started back when you appeared in a ship and they were like you are this ship. Ok have fun!!!!!  

hehe, wish there had been tutorials then but it was fun learning the hard way too

Oh, you just forgot the tutorial. It was there right from day one. It just was a bit short:

1) Shoot this drone that spawned beside you.

2) Mine this rock beside you.

3) Ok, you are fine to go. Have fun!

:)

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Eve is 10 hard.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by eckardt

thinking to start playing eve, but i want to know your opinion. i have an average iq, and i will be playing 10 hours a week.how long will it take to decently play the game? i will not  be a miner.

The interesting thing is, the "average IQ" and "10 hours a week" statements by themselves guarantee nothing. And "decently play the game"...doing what? That's the biggest thing you have to consider. Eve truly is a sandbox. You have to decide on your own what you want to do, how far you want to go doing it and then put in the effort to do it.

Four much more important things to ask yourself are: how adaptable are you, how driven are you, how much of a risk-taker are you and what will be your focus?

Each of those questions have a broad spectrum of answers, and the combination of those answers will define how "decent" you will be in a particular area. The number of combinations are far too numerous to mention.

What I can say is, if you aren't very adaptable, not very driven and/or not much of a risk taker, almost no matter what you focus on you'll probably be just another cog in the machine, not really noteworthy, even after years of play. But that's all some people want, and if that's you then have fun.

However, if you ARE adaptable, willing to take risks and extremely driven, almost no matter what you end up doing you could end up being one of the scariest badasses Eve has seen in some time.

Your fate is in your hands. Do what you will with it.

Where's the any key?

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

thinking to start playing eve, but i want to know your opinion. i have an average iq, and i will be playing 10 hours a week.how long will it take to decently play the game? i will not  be a miner.

Depends on what your looking for in a game. The game is very detailed and as many posters have stated in this thread it can be overwhelming at first. It took me 4 trials in the past to actually figure out what I was doing in this game. However to make it easier on me and to enjoy the experience I quickly went out to find a corp to join and belonged to Sturmgrenadier years ago. They got me on the right track.

Now since time has changed and lost track of my former guild friends that were playing Eve at the time I moved on to another corp and been actively playing. If you like Sci Fi as much as I do, Eve will grow on you. As one person put it. You get what you put into it.

• Grand_LCGrand_LC Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by sadboy

Its not hard in the least people try to make it appear so but its not. It is very boring though.

I am not the biggest EVE fan on this planet, but I just had to comment when I saw that message, as it's simply pointless and silly. Boring? That totally depends on your personal taste. I find golf boring, but millions of people seem to enjoy it. Getting ganked in EVE certainly seems a lot less boring to me. I don't see how an EVE fight becomes boring simply because you may lose. Frustrating perhaps, but not boring. If your adrenaline isn't pumping when surprised by a gank-squad in any PvP game, clearly you're playing the wrong game genre. ;)

I could have quoted the people disagreeing with you and made the same point though. All the "You get what you put into it." seems just as pointless and silly. They're basically saying everyone should love EVE, and if you don't, you're doing something wrong. That's just nonsense. People simply enjoy different things in gaming just like in music, food etc. There's no "doing it wrong" involved in taste. If people love the fast paced action of AoC, TERA or whatever, chances are they'll hate EVE.. Or at least the PvE side of EVE. EVE is the only game I've ever played where I was able to watch a movie while "grinding" without it getting me killed.. Even in the newbie stages of other games I haven't been able to do that. :)

@OP

I didn't really find EVE all that hard. Sure, it's confusing at first, but most games are on some level. EVE-stuff isn't harder to learn imo. There just seems to be more of it in EVE than in most other MMOs out there. Just work your way through it all at your own pace, and you'll be fine.

My issues with EVE aren't based on difficulty at all. It's based on me being a so-called 'hardcore player' and I simply got burned out fast. I probably played 10 hours a day and saw no real advancement that 1 hour/day wouldn't get me as well. It just seemed pointless to log in, so I played less and less, and eventually it just became silly paying for a game, that I didn't play. I did actually like the game though, which may sound a bit odd, but when something actually happened (ie. getting a new ship or whatever) I loved it even. I don't remember the name of that old "MMO personality test" anymore, but I always tested 'Achiever' when I tried it and I guess EVE just isn't made for people like me. I need the feeling of achievement to keep me interested, and EVE is really lacking in that aspect imo. Unless your next skill level will open up a new ship or something, it just doesn't feel like a noteworthy advancement to me. I don't even notice that 5% increase to speed or whatever the skill might grant me.

To be fair to EVE and it's fans though, I never had much luck with corps. the times I played EVE (Yes, I keep going back to old MMOs for some reason..) One time I found a nice group of people and joined their newbie corp., but less than an hour after I joined them, we got a war dec. by a much bigger (and non-newbie) corp. so that pretty much ended our fun. Awesome timing there. ;)

I suppose my opinion might have been very different if I had found a good corp. that's bigger (so random bored semi-vets don't just war dec. you for fun.) but that's easier said than done tbh. Most "good" corps. don't want new players at all. You should feel lucky if they'll even reply to your questions in chat. lol

That's one of the biggest problems with EVE imo. The community. I'm sure there are plenty of nice and helpful people in EVE, but they're just hiding really well, it seems. Maybe they've had bad experiences with corp. thieves or something, I don't know, but it doesn't exactly help new EVE players feel like a part of the community, when they're clearly not wanted anywhere.

Oh, and @Eluwien - Amazing post! :)

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    EVE can be as hard as you want to make it to be, as many aspects of the game require different knowledge, playstyle and even personality. For example, running an empire in the outskirts require a lot different type of skill set than being a lone trader in the relative safety of space controlled by main NPC faction.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Eve is not hard is as skill hard.

The problem with Eve is new players will have almost no hope of catching up to the long time players to the extent that they will make any meaningful impact to the game. That's what people meant by "hard".

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by joint

http://jokegurus.com/wp-content/uploads/learning-curves-of-popular-mmorpgs.jpg

I think this says it all!

That is really old and IMO EVE has become more noob friendly (slowly but surely).  The biggest thing to get around the curve is joining a noob friendly corp (different than joining a corp full of other noobs).

And, at the last post should you really be able to catch up?  I mean it's not like you won't have an impact without being the best. Sure it makes it a little easier but you can start most common tasks/careers early on.  And, if you stick to one specific goal I think you would find you'll catch up faster than you may think.  Just don't expect to be amazing at everything.  That will literraly take 20+ years(on one account).

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/208-Eve-Online

I tried the game, It's high risk high reward. Maybe if I had more free time, I'd have enjoyed it more.

(I don't entirely agree with that review, but It was still funny)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

this hard

seriously.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by NetSage

And, at the last post should you really be able to catch up?  I mean it's not like you won't have an impact without being the best. Sure it makes it a little easier but you can start most common tasks/careers early on.  And, if you stick to one specific goal I think you would find you'll catch up faster than you may think.  Just don't expect to be amazing at everything.  That will literraly take 20+ years(on one account).

No you shouldn't in terms of skills, but one should have upward mobility in terms of politics and wealth.

The problem with Eve is that ceiling is way to high. The difference between vets and new players is like nobility vs serfs, and that best that a serf that can hope even if they try is a commoner or a freeman.

For real life that might be okay imo... but for a game where quite a lot of people uses to escape reality of a upward immobile real life... might as well work harder in life than play this game, lol (which is probably a reason why Eve is niche)

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I am for a long time Eve player and i can tell you one thing about how hard it is. It is not HARD at all, people think that eve is to hard because they see so much text and that gives you some ''nerd game'' feeling. It is awesome game and probably best sandbox around but you don't need some high iq to play this. Skill learning is automatic and you don't need to much brain and in fact it is same shit as talent system in any of fantasy mmo's. For example you want to learn first for Caldari ships you start learning skils about Caldari ships, shields, missiles, electronic for less cpu use exct..it is just so simple. Well that is boring part of Eve and you need long time to get some descent skills. Probably the hardest part is to command with big fleet battles. Trading is almost same as auction house in any other mmo only with much more text. You can be totaly drunk and win easy if you have better ship in 1vs1, it is all about speed, range, fitting of ships and some basic knowledge about ship of enemy.Operating ship is automatic point and click, fire and forget, turn of or on hardeners if you have active one, change type of missile or ammo for different damage or range.  You don't engage anymore airplanes in dog fight today in modern warfare, you shoot missile from range and bye bye most of the time. SO it is kind of realistic fight because in future you probably could not miss targets with advanced electronics systems, but you can jam, disrupt or whats ever targeting system of your enemy. It is fun to fit ships and to watch from week to week how your stats grow.Ah no need to write more, you will know almost everything in month or two
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    I am for a long time Eve player and i can tell you one thing about how hard it is. It is not HARD at all, people think that eve is to hard because they see so much text and that gives you some ''nerd game'' feeling. It is awesome game and probably best sandbox around but you don't need some high iq to play this. Skill learning is automatic and you don't need to much brain and in fact it is same shit as talent system in any of fantasy mmo's. For example you want to learn first for Caldari ships you start learning skils about Caldari ships, shields, missiles, electronic for less cpu use exct..it is just so simple. Well that is boring part of Eve and you need long time to get some descent skills. Probably the hardest part is to command with big fleet battles. Trading is almost same as auction house in any other mmo only with much more text. You can be totaly drunk and win easy if you have better ship in 1vs1, it is all about speed, range, fitting of ships and some basic knowledge about ship of enemy.Operating ship is automatic point and click, fire and forget, turn of or on hardeners if you have active one, change type of missile or ammo for different damage or range.  You don't engage anymore airplanes in dog fight today in modern warfare, you shoot missile from range and bye bye most of the time. SO it is kind of realistic fight because in future you probably could not miss targets with advanced electronics systems, but you can jam, disrupt or whats ever targeting system of your enemy. It is fun to fit ships and to watch from week to week how your stats grow.Ah no need to write more, you will know almost everything in month or two

It's not hard until you pay for a month sub get a durge, mine ore for a week, buy a destroyer (yeah I know) and deck it out with all types of energy stuff only to go afk by an asteriod belt to grab a chicken patty out he oven (3 mins) to come back to eveything including you pod blown up....

Much respect for eve ;)

• shadowglyphshadowglyph Member UncommonPosts: 4

It's not hard until you pay for a month sub get a durge, mine ore for a week, buy a destroyer (yeah I know) and deck it out with all types of energy stuff only to go afk by an asteriod belt to grab a chicken patty out he oven (3 mins) to come back to eveything including you pod blown up....

Much respect for eve ;)

Rule #1 of eve: Never undock a ship you can not afford to replace.

Back on topic, EVE is not hard and it doesnt take long to perform well in a specific role. Find a good corp and you will be fine, older players have volumes of knowladge leaking from them.

SG

• Cameron27Cameron27 Member Posts: 142

Let me give you a little advice on how hard eve will be depending on which race you decide to fly:

Minmatar - Easy

Caldari - Normal

Amarr - Hard

Gallente - You'll regret not choosing Minmatar

Only applies to combat ships though.

"I will not play it nor any other MMO until they make it possible to obtain the best gear without forcing people to group up to do so." SwampRob

Originally posted by shadowglyph

Much respect for eve ;)

Rule #1 of eve: Never undock a ship you can not afford to replace.

Yeah, yeah they tell you that at the start, but unlike the majority of games, they ain bullshitting ;) Again I have so much respect for EVE and it players.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by Cameron27

Let me give you a little advice on how hard eve will be depending on which race you decide to fly:

Minmatar - Easy

Caldari - Normal

Amarr - Hard

Gallente - You'll regret not choosing Minmatar

Only applies to combat ships though.

Flying amarr, always thought it was the other way around with amarr and minmatar... Imo amarr is currently a bit gimped and minmatar op due to shield / armor tanking situation.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    EVE's not hard at all, just incredibely time consuming with all the reading you have to do to understand it which is why never could get into it along with one really needs to have a decent corp like others have said.  Game is highly teamwork driven unlike most if not all MMOs, or at least puts it on a whole different scale as getting 10 people together do fight the same scripted boss encounter for the 100th isn't teamwork.  Love the setting and flying a spaceship but the boreish playstyle got to me and didn't want to spend countless hours in reading on stuff since I get more that my fill of that at college.  The "spreadsheet in space" label is pretty app as everything boils down to number crunching and theorycrafting.  Definately a non action MMO and more tactical based which is something one can't just "jump into."
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Ok

The game is complicated in wonderful ways. It makes you think and learn , and it never stops.

Its not hard at all , but its layered and you can always improve.

But here is a problem - something nobody will tell you :

EVE has a grind. And its more severe grind than any other game on the market.

Everything you do in EVE is limited by ammount money you have. If you want to get better you need a lot of money. To earn money you need to grind. A lot.

10 hours a week is not enough for EVE

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144

easiest full loot game I've played, it's just about common sense really, it's basically proof of concept! I've been waiting for World of Darkness for years :D

Only way I would play it again is if they implemented a change to the skill system

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

EVE is not difficult, however it's a lot to learn.

There are just some facts in the game:

-when you are undocked, you are NEVER 100% safe.

-only fly what you can afford to lose.

-think twice when trusting people with your expensive stuff. (thieves/spies could be lurking around the corner)

-you won't get spoonfed by this game, you have to put your brain to work, unlike certain other MMOs.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Ok

The game is complicated in wonderful ways. It makes you think and learn , and it never stops.

Everything you do in EVE is limited by ammount money you have. If you want to get better you need a lot of money. To earn money you need to grind. A lot.

Well, won't argue that you need a lot of ISK to progress, and 10 hours a week might not be enough to fund your skill training and new ships.

There is always the option that I took, bought some PLEX and sold them for ISK (yeah, CCP permits/facilitates this)  to supplement my income during the early going until I got my mission running skills high enough to properly fund my activities.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Honestly, you can make quite good money on 10h per week if you dedicate those 10h per day to money making. Yet if you have work and very limited time I'd say its better to buy a PLEX for some fast fun when you play instead. ;p
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Ok

Well, won't argue that you need a lot of ISK to progress, and 10 hours a week might not be enough to fund your skill training and new ships.

There is always the option that I took, bought some PLEX and sold them for ISK (yeah, CCP permits/facilitates this)  to supplement my income during the early going until I got my mission running skills high enough to properly fund my activities.

Allright. That is an option too.

If you think 15$ is not investment enough.