Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Silkroad Online: Silkroad Online's Historic 15 Years

2»

Comments

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    If people do not want to include the time it was in Korea then maybe we should abolish all the Asian WoW accounts that are added to it's total sub count, cause they are not in the western world right :)
    Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by charlizd
    If people do not want to include the time it was in Korea then maybe we should abolish all the Asian WoW accounts that are added to it's total sub count, cause they are not in the western world right :)

For me a game has no frontier, if the game was really release in 1997 even if its in korean i would say hey that great. The problem here is Joymax was established April 10th 1997. There first game was Final Odyssey, realeast in january 1999.

Joymax’s first MMORPG “Silkroad Online” launched in November 2004 and this is quote directly on they website. Now for those who dont beleive it just go read there:

http://www.joymax.co.kr/eng/company/about.asp

In reality they are celebrating 15 years of Joymax, not silkroad. You can even see the whole history of Joymax here:

http://www.joymax.co.kr/eng/company/history.asp

• BlackhoundBlackhound Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Originally posted by Silok

In reality they are celebrating 15 years of Joymax, not silkroad. You can even see the whole history of Joymax here:

I tried to tell them, some didn't get the point.

It's all listed right there, Silk Road was in it's first Korean beta tests between 2002 and 2003.

Originally posted by Blackhound

It's all listed right there, Silk Road was in it's first Korean beta tests between 2002 and 2003.

Well for a lots of peoples it's easier to believe evrything they see instead of doing some research i suppose.

• RafadotnechiRafadotnechi Member UncommonPosts: 90

Epic ignorance of MMO history in this thread

whatever not everybody is geek enough to care about the history of what they play.

• woodard2040woodard2040 Member Posts: 20
    At least I acknowledged the fact that it was older than 8 years.  I was really trying to be funny about a game that really isn't that good because of botting, hacking and one of the worst grinds in mmo's to date.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Umm i dropped in twice over the last year and bots have almost dissappeared.I am sure there is still some,i saw a few but nothing even remotely close to the old days of trains of them.

You actually can get your quest mobs without bots steasling them all.

Truth is no matter what you think of the game,it has lots of negative things to say about it,however it is totally free and does offer some fun gaming for awhile.

I always got around 1 maybe 2 at one point even 3 straight months of fun.is that any different than paying big dollars for these other games that run out of fun equally as fast or sooner.

I have actually logout and deleted several games after 5-30 minutes of playing,yet SRO kept my attention much longer.

There is actually an easy trick and that is to join up with other players,it gives more xp by doing that.The only reason i avoided it was because most group requests were bot automated,i did not want to aid the cheaters.Also if you play with a few friends all using ICE damage,you can pretty much lockup a creature frozen from attacking.

The problem is Joymax was so naive about massive botting that they made a ton of servers to fill the need of botters,now most are gone it made for some empty servers.Most of the original ones i am sure are still near full,especially since i believe they yust added a new scenario/maps/levels or are about to.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Well for a lots of peoples it's easier to believe evrything they see instead of doing some research i suppose.

Well the problem I think is that some people can not see the difference between a blog and newspost. Blog are usually opinion pieces, where as newspost are filled with facts (normally) and I think we should be able to assume them as true. This is not alway the case, but really I have more thing to do then fact check every news article I read :P

Originally posted by Coman

Well the problem I think is that some people can not see the difference between a blog and newspost. Blog are usually opinion pieces, where as newspost are filled with facts (normally) and I think we should be able to assume them as true. This is not alway the case, but really I have more thing to do then fact check every news article I read :P

True enough, but if you defend an article like some did earlier in this thread you should take the time the verify the facts.

BTW this article is a blog from someone not news from Joymax.. and you did take the time to reply it tough.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

True enough, but if you defend an article like some did earlier in this thread you should take the time the verify the facts.

BTW this article is a blog from someone not news from Joymax.. and you did take the time to reply it tough.

Who is more credible source than CEO of the company? and if CEO of joymax says they opened doors for Silkroad in 1997...what else is left there to research? or we only quote head honchos of companies according to our conveneince and when it suits our arguments?

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Lold at everyone screaming how its actually 15 years old and in the end it turns out that... ouch, its not. :D
    Originally posted by halflife25

Who is more credible source than CEO of the company? and if CEO of joymax says they opened doors for Silkroad in 1997...what else is left there to research? or we only quote head honchos of companies according to our conveneince and when it suits our arguments?

This is where you made your mistake, you quote a sentence which is probably a bad translation in an article on an un-official web site and you decided it was a fact.

Now you can tell anything you want, this are simple, you were wrong because you believe some poor korean translation on some random website, instead of taking 3 minutes to do a search on the Joymax official website, to get the truth.

• LordZeikLordZeik Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I can see this game being 15 years old. Assuming that in 1997 the original game itself looks nothing like it does now. Although, I'm more of a realist and would have to place the age of this game somewhere closer to the 12-13 year mark. Heck I used to play a lot of games overseas back in the earlier days so I can definitely appreciate the eastern culture being the driving force behind what mmorpgs we got today. So, people who are saying the game is only 8 years old....Just no... Unless someone can bring some real evidence to the table like perhaps a few dated screen caps from that game in its origin days. Then I am going to have to say that its the actual company celebrating 15 years rather than the game.
    Originally posted by LordZeik
    I can see this game being 15 years old. Assuming that in 1997 the original game itself looks nothing like it does now. Although, I'm more of a realist and would have to place the age of this game somewhere closer to the 12-13 year mark. Heck I used to play a lot of games overseas back in the earlier days so I can definitely appreciate the eastern culture being the driving force behind what mmorpgs we got today. So, people who are saying the game is only 8 years old....Just no... Unless someone can bring some real evidence to the table like perhaps a few dated screen caps from that game in its origin days. Then I am going to have to say that its the actual company celebrating 15 years rather than the game.

I did bring evidence for the Joymax history who can be found on the very own website. Just read the post above for the link.

This game was release in 2004. Here a quote from they website:

Joymax’s first MMORPG “Silkroad Online” launched in November 2004
    and has since grown to service not only Korea but over 200 international
    countries.

• LordZeikLordZeik Member UncommonPosts: 276

Originally posted by LordZeik

I did bring evidence for the Joymax history who can be found on the very own website. Just read the post above for the link.

This game was release in 2004. Here a quote from they website:

Joymax’s first MMORPG “Silkroad Online” launched in November 2004
    and has since grown to service not only Korea but over 200 international
    countries.

Guess this means that a lot of people will post anything that's commonplace without any sort of backup then. Kinda disheartening always thought mmorpg.com had some credibility to it. I did some digging and couldn't find anything before 2004 for silkroad either.... Dunno where people are getting 1997 from.
  • bailey47274bailey47274 Member CommonPosts: 2
    I completly agree with you about Silkroad,the triangular conflict was awesome. greed ruined that game i would like to play it again sometime or maybe even create a private server.