Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 an honest opinion?

Comments

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Read up on the account hacking and take proper precautions. 
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Some say it won't make it, but I think they are fooling themselves. I have seen posts from folks claiming that people are quitting left and right.

Here is a video I recorded this evening in the human starter area. Mind you this is just a small part of a huge world, and the number of players has to be huge...even on a Tuesday evening.

The game is awesome and no matter what, you can not beat the entertainment value.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

It really depends on what you are looking for.

Exploring: A+

Story Quests and voiceovers: C+

Combat: B ( locks base skills to weapon type )

Heart Quests & DEs : C - nothing new

Character Progression at endgame: D (unless you love crafting.  No treadmill = no tangible goals to meet for me)

WvWvW: D (Queues galore, zerg this, zerg that, spend gold on siege )

sPVP: can't grade.  skipped it

Pros:

1) Can buy gems for in game gold.  No need to spend cash at the moment.

2) B2P means you always have a game to come back to.

3) Leveling isn't bad and multiple classes are fun.

4) ANET is likely solely focused on making GW2 the best they can

Give WvWVw a B, Heart quests and DES a A, endgame a B-/C+ I would agree with you.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I had fun... but I didn't have fun if that makes sense. It was a game I could play for an hour at first before it actually starting to get oddly boring. Why oddly? Because I'm the type that can grind away at games and have fun at it for hours depending on the game. Playing new games that come out non stop all day, this was a SERIOUS warning for me that something wasn't quite right. Still, it was fun and something to do at least for a bit. As time went on I did eventually hit 80... and then went up to 80 again though much slower pace sparing much less time. Now I just can't level any other characters.

The game itself to me is just to boring. There isn't much added at all to it, just a shift in focus to try and make thing look 'different' when truthfully its just the questing hub system, just compressed into one quest and automatically gained. Events can become quite dule after a while though they do help a little bit in making it fun (if it was just 100% heart quests I'd never of hit 80). WvWvW is often very one sided and truthfully feels underdeveloped. Combat to me is just to clunky for my liking but I'm the type that liked Tera (aka the type that likes penalties to performing actions rather then spam buttons). Event groups are just random people (and bots a lot in certain events) going around and just end up being a 'press 1 and afk' deal in many of them, particularly with bosses. Personal story is bland... anything good is often outweighed by some quite shotty story work that I just didn't find appealing. 

Over-all... I just can't recomend it. Its B2P at least but... I just really don't know if it was with the $60, particularly considering there are pure F2P games that provides more entertainment to me. My major issue is combat and honestly if you play it and like the combat, then its completely possible you might enjoy it. I just feel all the other flaws aside, combat is the one thing that really detracts from the game and really prevents me from recomending it. With smoother combat in place, I'd at least be hesitant to recomend it, or at least not such a wide variety of games available to really drown the game out so much.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Meh. It still needs more content. Once you hit 80 you'll be bored out of your mind 
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    It has more content (and working content at that) than any other mmorg on launch. I was a pretty jaded mmorg player and Ive been playing 3 hours plus every night for a month at level 80, the game starts to grow on you as your guild grows bonds.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AshenTechAshenTech Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    It has more content (and working content at that) than any other mmorg on launch. I was a pretty jaded mmorg player and Ive been playing 3 hours plus every night for a month at level 80, the game starts to grow on you as your guild grows bonds.

having played hundreds of mmo's, i gotta say, this is true, hell many years old mmo's have less content, the thing is alot of the bord people are bord because they got to 80, and didnt want to go explore the rest of the world they wanted the WoW "Carrot on the stick" type end game, and if thats what somebody wants, gw2 will leave them wanting.....because thats NOT AT ALL what gw2 is about.....

that said, I love this game, over 300hrs in since launch(would be more but, i have a life outside gaming) and I loveit, sure its got its warts, but anets been working on it, and even with them, its a smoother launch then any other mmo I have played this close to launch......hell, check the bug reports for WoW:MoP...its got more bugs then gw2......pretty funny for an expantion to a 7yo game....

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    OP if I was you I would wait. http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2 take a look at those numbers, the game will be F2P or at least sold at a MUCH lower price soon (unless they drastically improve it). For most people the fun lasts less than 2 weeks.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    I was bored in about 2 weeks, actually less; but I ground it out for 2 weeks just because.
  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

I am thoroughly enjoying the game, and find that ANet have delivered 95% of what they promised.

There are a few issues;

I find the Necro pets issue odd - I mean I am not an MMO designer and could tell in seconds they were utterly useless.

Some DE's in higher level areas break due to lack of testing - part of my 5% here.

But the game delivers, and I find the non-quest hub, all-areas repeatability, every dungeon is a end-game dungeon etc. to be excellent design and I like that they are tough.

But I won't stay here for the long, long term, and it has nothing to do with how the functionality of the game or the MMO-paradigm-expanding features work - these are excellent work in my opinion.

It's the 'genre' they chose.

It's a melange - it has high technology, steampunk and high medieval all mixed up, and I personally like my fantasy genre's distinct and seperate.

I also don't like tiny little races hitting like trucks whole wielding swords twice their size - I find it immersion breaking and ridiculous.

If someone somewhere would combine the gritty fantasy of Age of Conan and the design features of GW2 I would be a happy man.

As things stand, I truly appreciate the game, think the mindless detractors of it are all fools, but I cannot, I just cannot grow to love magic-tech guns and Asurans mixed up with gothic plate armoured knights.

Just me....

I hold out hope for Elder Scrolls online in this respect - and I see from the latest reveals on game design philosophy they intend to put in features very close to DE's and so forth. I like the world too - rich, deep and although being 'stock fantasy' it keeps the genre well balanced.

However - proof of the pudding and all that....

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

You need to have a very special mindset for liking GW2, and that is doing fetchquests and collecting stuff in fantasy land,  with no emphasize on story.  And if you like zerg type PvP on top of that, GW2 is the ideal title for you. Otherwise, play TSW

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Just buy Planetside 2 and play the beta, Is a FPS MMO but insanely fun, The RvRvR is way better than GW2 from any point of view. 

This might come as a shock for you but Planetside 2 is DESIGNED only as a RvRvR game of cource I'ts better captain obviouse.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182

First you get fanboys, then trolls, then people that pretend not to care but still are talking and then you will end up with so many different opinions that in the end - you will have no ide if it's good or bad. Only way is to check it yourself on youtube, read reviews etc and then try it for yourself. 

Sorry but that is the only option. I have a blast and this is what I can tell you but I play few hours a week and past 1 week I didn't have time to play at all. So I still enjoy the game. You will find here nolifes that play for 5-8 hours a day and they complain because it's getting boring or something. They just burned out.

So only one who can decide is You.

I somewhat agree with this guys opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmScXMVUuDM&t=23m35s

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    OP if I was you I would wait. http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2 take a look at those numbers, the game will be F2P or at least sold at a MUCH lower price soon (unless they drastically improve it). For most people the fun lasts less than 2 weeks.

Had to laugh when I saw this

A) We all pretty much agreed years ago that X-fire is not a good indicator of a games population . I'm suprised anyones still using this arguement nowdays . Troll these days really need to find better ways to troll a game than use x-fire . Its only used by a certain demographic of gamers and most people have never even heard of it .

B) Free to play ???? don't be daft . Its already a buy to play game .

C)Of course it will go down in price over time . What game doesn't ??? But I don't think it will be untill next year sometime .

D) The servers are heaving with people . I see more people exploring and questing in GW2 than any other mmo I've played recently . WoWs game worlds pretty much dead in comparison because most people are grinding instances .

So essentially you've showed us all ...........

A)Your trolling the game probably because you need to feel vindicated in your choice of mmo

B) You have no concept of the difference between B2P and F2P .

C) Stated the blooming obvious

D)That you most likly don't even own a copy of GW2 or you could have looked up server statuses ( if you had you would not have quoted xfire would you ?)

I'll give you a  D- for trolling . Could do better .

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Escada

Hey guys..

I've held off a little in looking in to GW2 for several reasons but I am wondering what peoples views are on how it is now that the novelty (perhaps) has worn off?  I've been playing MMOs for a long time and after quitting wow when Firelands was released I finally found an MMO, years later, that I have really enjoyed; TSW.   However, whilst I am waiting for the raid to be released I was hoping I might get some objective reports on GW2.. Im a bit frazled out on the fantasy genre but am I missing out by not taking a look at the game?

Look forward to your thoughts. :)

Wonderful game, just don't play it 12hrs in one go as some are doing on this forum.....the ones that are complaining about being bored or the 'lack of content'.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

GW2 is a high quality AAA MMORPG you pay 60 bucks for and then can play forever.

If you are looking for a good game to fill the void between two content additions in your "main" MMORPG, it's the idea game. But be warned... you may become "addicted" and turn GW2 in your main MMORPG... ;-)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Escada

Hey guys..

I've held off a little in looking in to GW2 for several reasons but I am wondering what peoples views are on how it is now that the novelty (perhaps) has worn off?  I've been playing MMOs for a long time and after quitting wow when Firelands was released I finally found an MMO, years later, that I have really enjoyed; TSW.   However, whilst I am waiting for the raid to be released I was hoping I might get some objective reports on GW2.. Im a bit frazled out on the fantasy genre but am I missing out by not taking a look at the game?

Look forward to your thoughts. :)

You wont find any "objective" reports on GW2 or any other game.

I personally still like it a lot, some others dont, it all depends on how you play. If you have the raid mentally and just want new and better gear all the time, you might still enjoy the game but not for that long. Most loot wh***s tire after 2-4 weeks because the gap between exotic and legandary is small in numbers but great in time.

If you on the other hand love exploring, massive PvP and dislike questhubs you will get a lot out of the game.

If you are a PvP fan that enjoy ganking other players you should just stay away altogether. Same if playing the auction house is your favorite thing to do, the cross server AH makes that close to impossible.

I love exploration so the game fits me like a glove. If you will like it and for how long really depends on what you enjoy in a MMO, 

Originally posted by roo67

Woah, so you go out into public and parrot a marketing strategy which is based entirely on a made up new "concept" which is basically a lifetime subscription, one of the oldest MMO business models in existence?

Gosh.. I can´t believe how incredibly good marketing departments reach into people´s minds today. Scary.

So what if I tell you that you actually bought a lifetime sub, and GW2 came free with it? Wouldn´t that be a regular F2P title, and you simply bought a very cheap lifetime sub for that F2P title?

You could also view GW2 as a F2P title with a 60$ up front cost to get access to the game and their cash shop.

oh my.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

Woah, so you go out into public and parrot a marketing strategy which is based entirely on a made up new "concept" which is basically a lifetime subscription, one of the oldest MMO business models in existence?

Gosh.. I can´t believe how incredibly good marketing departments reach into people´s minds today. Scary.

So what if I tell you that you actually bought a lifetime sub, and GW2 came free with it? Wouldn´t that be a regular F2P title, and you simply bought a very cheap lifetime sub for that F2P title?

You could also view GW2 as a F2P title with a 60$ up front cost to get access to the game and their cash shop.

oh my.

Tell me of one game where you can get a lifetime subscription for 50 dollars ? If you can I will be willing to conceed you have a point .

Also think about it free to play games are really nothing more than an extended free trial . The client is also free unlike a buy to play game . There is also an optional subscription in the western model free to play games that gives you access to all the content .

It is of course theoretically possible to play a f2player game totally for free but it would take an enormous amount of grinding to do so . Where as in GW2  buy to play its far easier to earn in game currancy to buy gems to spend in the cash shop . Also at present you don't have to buy access to anywhere in the game world from the cash shop unlike say DDO or Lotro .

Leveling is not limited in GW2 like it is say in Age of Conan and Everquest .

I'm not going to insult you but if you can't see the difference between the two systems all I will say is I feel a bit sorry for you .

And of  course buy to play isn't a new concept its been used by single player games since pong . I don't think I said it was a new concept anywhere in my post . Are you in the habbit of putting words in peoples mouths ?

• EscadaEscada Member Posts: 25

I somewhat agree with this guys opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmScXMVUuDM&t=23m35s

He had me laughing my ass off almost straight away.  Thanks for the find :)

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Some say it won't make it, but I think they are fooling themselves. I have seen posts from folks claiming that people are quitting left and right.

Here is a video I recorded this evening in the human starter area. Mind you this is just a small part of a huge world, and the number of players has to be huge...even on a Tuesday evening.

The game is awesome and no matter what, you can not beat the entertainment value.

One hour of an episode of "Game of Thrones" that I haven't seen before, has far more entertainment value than one hour in any MMORPG, in my opinion. I find it to be a comparison of interest since MMORPGs are in my case  directly competing with all other forms of entertainment.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

oh my.

Well by your definition almost every game is F2P than. Skyrim is F2P with lifetime sub but only comes with Offline Mode. So is the Witcher 2, Half-life has an online mode on top of that. Same for Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament.

You now that means TSW has is an extremely expensive F2P with lifetime sub game than. As it costs well over $200 then. Especially expensive when you realise the developers only put in 1/3 of the content any other MMO has. As it's masked by its questbook limitations. Meaning you have to run back and forth over the same area to pick up the different main quests, since you can only have one of those active.

You are merely twisting words to fit with your trollish bashing of GW2. The same way I twisted your own words.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

There is no such thing as honest opinion on these forums OP. Only biased ones. 

However, i can give you a suggestion if you want to buy the game but i don't think you mentioned that anywhere in your OP.

But yeah expecting an honest opinion over here? good luck with that.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by halflife25

There is no such thing as honest opinion on these forums OP. Only biased ones. 

However, i can give you a suggestion if you want to buy the game but i don't think you mentioned that anywhere in your OP.

But yeah expecting an honest opinion over here? good luck with that.

A honest opinion can be biased; I don't see the contradiction. It is only dishonest if you are not giving your actual opinion but a different opinion that you do not agree with; like telling someone "nice haircut" when you really don't think it is nice.