Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you see yourself playing GW2 past 2012?

CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

[mod edit]

What are your thoughts on the topic and do you agree/disagree? Is GW2 not what you expected or do you think it's the greatest thing ever? Don't forget to vote!

Comments

• AriannaeAriannae Member UncommonPosts: 40

Will I play as consecutively as I am right now? More than likely not.

Will I play past 2012? Absolutely I will. Why -wouldn't- you come check up on an already paid for MMO when large content patches go Live?

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

I bought it... It's really good on a technical level, I guess.

But I was turned off by the personal stories. I didn't like my character speaking for me.

I would play it for a couple hours, get bored and not play for a couple days.

I got a necromancer and engineer to lvl 11 each, and I was just bored.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Ariannae

Will I play as consecutively as I am right now? More than likely not.

Will I play past 2012? Absolutely I will. Why -wouldn't- you come check up on an already paid for MMO when large content patches go Live?

I've always been a "stick-with-it" kinda guy. But the non-subscription model is intruiging. It does allow you to stop playing for a while and come back to check it out. But when you do that, do you lose touch and feel for the game? I already feel extremely detached from my character by the nature of the game. It makes me wonder, what would make me comeback?

I guess the poll could more accurately be described as, how long do you think you will play GW2 regularly before taking an extended break? 

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

I like many aspects of it honnestly.

I like the fact that it has a steady leveling Curve, I like the fact that you gains xp for many lil things, the exploration the vistas etc.

The questing scheme is "ok" the main thing is to follow your personal story, and do events and and quests as you follow it...

Crafting is really neat, really have not had fun ina while (could never really master any crafting in WoW so boring).

Then there are the lil conveniences, you have access to your bank and mats from crafting stations no needless back and forth. Ressource Nodes are instanced, no need to fight over them with other people.

Teleports, gates make the workd accessible and still keep if really big.

There is no gear grind per se, progression is not the main focus of the design, having fun and progressing allong side it is.

So all the effort put to eliminate the tediums that other modern mmo's have is tremendously good for the game, the automatic level adjustments in various areas are simply brilliant, keeping all the content from low end to high end accessible at any level.

Then there is the PvP aspect and the WvW which are really well thought out .

The problem i am having with GW2 is the actual Combat mechanics...this is where things get blury for me...

I really to this day think that WoW (vanilla) combat is still the most fun.... albeit they destroyed the PvP over time withthe addition of Durability and further segregation of pvP and PVE gear...and it is why I quit, there was nothing else holding me there...

I understand that GW2 PvP mechanics have a different focus and feel stale in comparison due to the elimination of the Trinity which kind of equalises all clases, which in turn makes all their abilities almost the same...

I mean, a Warrior can be as good with a Longbow as a Ranger...the only difference is really the visual effects of their shots...in functionality it is the same..I know warriors who run around in heavy armor and have a Rifle in one slot and a Long bow in the other...playing as Ranged...while this is a good thing from one side...it is very bad in another.

So maybe that is what GW2 really lacks. Some more personalisation of Classes, like for instance while a Warrior can use a wide variety of weapons, they should be more proficient and efficient with certain weapons that are part of their theme...

Yes no need of Trinity, it works really well to have everyone be able to heal and tank and DPS, but we need some differentiation of classes within their Theme, since everyone can have any role...

No trinity implies many things, and it requires for a given class to be equally efficient in many roles as another. Fine, if a ranger was better with a bow and a warrior better with a sword then automatically in a group adventure rangers would addopt the ranged role and warriors the melee role...while now everyone can take any role and that is why no matter how a party is composed (5 rangers or even 5 warriors) Dungeons work either way.

Still...maybe where the problem really is, is with the class skills...maybe these shoould be more pronounced towards each class..and currrently these are not well pronounced.

It is a tough challenge I reckon...but I feel like the combat tends to be stale compared to other combat systems of themeparks and level based games.

maybe GW2 really needed a skill based system instead ...not sure bot something is just not right... IMO. Mind you maybe it is just me...I am still progressing, I have not mastered the game or any one class yet. We shall see.

One thing is for sure, I shall not stop playing the game is B2P...can play it intensly or occasionally without having to worry about a Sub...game is not going anywhere it will be here for a Looong time.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I probably will seeing as It's free to play now that I've bought it.

If it had a sub, probably not.

Besides people vanishing when WvW starts and the SM zerg is going on, i really don't have any issues with the game.

I guess it all depends on if something better releases, i would prefer to play a game in which i can be a healer.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173
    Kinda funny to see results so far. Might be flaved poll tho, as I wonder if people wanting to stick mean they will play it on regular basis or just will hop in after some updates. Anyways my guess would be that either:

1. You are WoW type player that enjoys character progression aka gear. No place for you in GW2. Levels and gear doesn't matter that much here. Result bored already with lvl 80, full exotic set and nothing to do.

2. You are sandbox type player, which already means you are bored as GW2 is theme park in a bit of disguise. Tried it as next gen, hyped MMO, but found still same boring model.

3. You enjoy team, skill based PvP, which means WvWvW and tournaments in sPvP can keep you hooked for a long long time.

4. You are PvE explorer, you enjoy finding secret places, events, lore and funny things. Completing the world this way will take quite some time. Especially with dungeons on top.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Are we talking about the game as is? or with expansions and DLC?

If the game stayed as is then probably not,but I'll be checking out the new content in the future.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by crazynanny
    Kinda funny to see results so far. Might be flaved poll tho, as I wonder if people wanting to stick mean they will play it on regular basis or just will hop in after some updates. Anyways my guess would be that either:

1. You are WoW type player that enjoys character progression aka gear. No place for you in GW2. Levels and gear doesn't matter that much here. Result bored already with lvl 80, full exotic set and nothing to do.

2. You are sandbox type player, which already means you are bored as GW2 is theme park in a bit of disguise. Tried it as next gen, hyped MMO, but found still same boring model.

3. You enjoy team, skill based PvP, which means WvWvW and tournaments in sPvP can keep you hooked for a long long time.

4. You are PvE explorer, you enjoy finding secret places, events, lore and funny things. Completing the world this way will take quite some time. Especially with dungeons on top.

I fit in the number 3 section and I think everyone who plays GW2 should fit in this section too since PvP is the biggest part of the game. If you plan on playing GW2 for the PvE only, sure you will get bored quickly. I plan on playing the game for a long time since the PvP is well made and I can't wait to see some new features added. Be sure that I'll stick around even longer if the game becomes a true eSport.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

If you play for a week then stop for awhile and pick it back up a month later, you stopped playing after a week.

If you play for 6 months then stop playing for awhile and pick it back up two months later, you stopped playing after 6 months.

The idea that GW2 somehow has more longevity because it is designed to be played intermittently is just silly.  For one night, just eat a sandwich instead of going out for dinner, and you can basically afford a month's subscription to SW:TOR, WoW, Rift, or any other similar MMO.  My point is, we quit MMOs and come back to them all the time.  Last Christmas, I played SW:TOR 15 hours straight on launch day and about 5-8 hours a day after that for a solid month.  Towards the end of the month, I played less because I got bored.  SW:TOR only lasted me a month as a "main MMORPG."  GW2 should be no different.  I'll give the game 6 months, but after that if not beforehand, people will be busy checking out other games and GW2 will settle down towards a medium-sized community like all other successful post-WoW MMOs.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I think the game has a very solid foundation for longevity, so I'm hoping its only a matter of time before they build on that.  I think that's really the important thing.   It's more than I can say for most new MMOs, where it feels like all they can do is tack on a new raid instance every few months.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ZikariZikari Member Posts: 78

Well, my personal goal is 100% map completion and all dungeon path's finished once. I am not at 96% and have a couple of explorabales to go. After that I think I'm done for a while.

However, when Arenanet is selling expansions and new zones, dungeons, I will be back and I will be paying for them. I had a blast exploring the maps and doing DE's while doing so. More of that and I'm in. I don't like repetitive stuff, so maybe I'll check in for some WvWvW every once in a while, but definitely not a game for playing every day, running dungeons and farming stuff.

Now after playing MMO's extensively for the last couple of month (TSW, GW2) I want to put back my gaming time into the singleplayer titles that I wanted to complete: Resident Evil 6, Dishonored and X-Com are waiting for my departure from Tyria.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Why not?  It's the best MMO to come out in years.
  • ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108
    Nah, there's just too many games coming out and it's getting hard to keep up!
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Past 2012? I can't see my self playing past...wait, I've already stopped playing.

Nevermind.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • AshenTechAshenTech Member Posts: 30

I love how every time a new MMO comes out people put up polls like this and make doom and gloom posts because the game isnt their cup of tea or something about the game bothers them.

I dont find it boring, of the 28 people I know personally who bought the game only 2 have quit because they didnt like it compared to WoW and MoP came out(they are very much carrot+stick players they NEED the end game gear grind)

I enjoy this game, sure its got its warts but all mmo's do, specially when they first come out, NCSoft rushed the game to market to beat MoP to release, hence its got alot of little bugs that would have been found had Anet been allowed to do the 24/7 testing the developers wanted.

the truly funny part here is, GW2 still had a better launch then WoW had.....its more stable then WoW was by this period in its life(i was a beta tester, WoW was the most unstable, unreliable POS when it came out....HOURS of CUE then, you get in and the server crashes so you get to cue back up!!!!) 

Its fine, even great if you dont like the game, if you want to go back to the carrot and stick, if that is more fun to you, then go for it, but please dont try and tell everybody who likes the game that they are idiots for enjoying it.....we tend to feel the same way about people who pay to play and enjoy the carrot on the stick aproach.

I for one will play this for years to come not as much later as I do now but, I learned long ago to not play any game to much or to long at one time....UO taught me that lesson well.....you can get really caught up/wrapped up in games and loose focus on everything else.....(UO=Ultima Online, I was gm/co-admin of a few different private shards over the years....)

if your bord with/dont like this game, why put so much energy into reading forums about it and posting about it?

I dont go to KalOnline or SilkRoadOnline (or or or or or...) forums and say how much they suck or how much I dont like them.....

its fine if you hate it/are bord with it, move on to another game and be happy you got more hrs fun then most games that cost the same price.....and if you didnt, then get a refund....

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Considering I'm not going to be buying any new MMOs after GW2 due to financial reasons and because I don't see anything that I'm interested in on the horizon, probably.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

When I purchased GW2, I knew I would not find a home for an extended period of time. I don't see me logging in for years on end like I did with the old games.

There is a lot in GW2 that I do not participate in, and most of these are the longevity factors, ie: SPvP and WvW. I knew this coming into the game.

I am an alt-o-holic and this will keep me busy for awhile yet. Past 2012? I don't know and have my doubts. I have no desire to play a Charr or Asura character. I tried them out and just did not "connect" with them. The Norn race is not what I was hoping for, either, but playable. That just leaves the other 3 races to keep me busy. Only having 5 character slots also puts a big limit on this.

I was kind of hoping it would keep me interested for awhile, maybe 6 months or so, but I am finding that it will most likely fall quite a bit short of that. Maybe more like 3 months? I guess time will tell :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Well, I don't know if the OP question is actually relevant, or at least as relevant as it would have been in a subscription based game, where retention matters.

If we focus on the one time payment method (lifetime subscription if you like), then unless you use the shop at various intervals you're a burdain for the company and they'd rather you stopped and come back with the next expansion.

If we focus on the cash shop aspect of GW2, then they need "some" of us to keep tthe illusion of vitality into the game (this is why all the F2P companies tolerate all those people who pay nothing), but not too many else they'll need to add more servers and thus maintenance costs.

Do I see myself playing? I hope not, I'm already bored and in the phase I as at one time with WoW (ie only the guild kept me logged, not the actual game). I'm actually looking forward to the release of X-com this Friday. Under normal circumstances, weekend would be mmorpg heaven, but not this time.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Longevity really depends on what ArenaNet does.

The game is boring as it is.  Very little character interaction.  no /who.  no /inspect.  limited emotes.  Very little bond to other characters in the game.

Guilds are pointless in a game called Guild Wars.  Join a guild for a glorified chat room, essentially.

Do stuff as a guild?  I can do everything solo.  Guilds are useless. (dungeons are useless and I don't bother, gear can be bought on the trader [AH], and gold is easy to obtain)

When I play, I end up just screwing around, but it's all pointless.  There is no player to player competition, no rivalries, no need to love or hate any other player.  Other players are just existing also for no reason.  They may as well be NPC's.  Everything is empty in this game.  No emotion.

Saddening, but it's up to ArenaNet to remedy this.  I don't see much longevity with this game.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    i do like the game even though i tend to play other games while taking small breaks to. I will be playing past 2012
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Karteli any game is going to be boring ultimately if you do it solo. Gw2 is meant to be a social game where you play with real people and enjoy grouping with your friends. Glorified chat room? Suppose you would look at it that way if you didn't care about anyone in the game.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by CallsignVega

From a very experienced MMORPG player's perspective, the writing is already on the wall. This game will be dead by Christmas. 

Shallow game-play, no end game content, unplayable WvW with unbelievable lag and invisible armies of players. image

What are your thoughts on the topic and do you agree/disagree? Is GW2 not what you expected or do you think it's the greatest thing ever? Don't forget to vote!

Easily the best content wise for the casual to semi casual player so yes I see myself playing for years to come.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Honestly, very unlikely. It just wasn't a game I could really get into and ultimately I log in going "Ah lets play!" then lose that motivation within minutes of logging on. Even though I paid for it, I truthfully don't expect to get much play out of it in the future. It just wasn't a very fun game to me.

Leveling was boring (only gets worst after the 1st time. Hearts, cool at first but quickly get stale.) and exploration is boring (specially after first time)

Dungeon difficulty seems more based of cheapness then actual difficulty (skill REALLY doesn't do all that much, your group comp/weapon choice effect the way it will go more then skill does, worst being the fact TRASH is harder the most of the bosses.)

WvWvW is a bit of a mess (to be fair it can be fixed but it feels so under-developed to me and lacking on elements besides "Zerg, Zerg, Zerg" with guild 'claiming' quite trivial)

Events end up being just a zerg fest and get boring after seeing them a dozen times (though a welcome relief from getting away from doing hearts or doing it passively so I don't notice I am on one)

Combat... oh boy combat... probably the biggest killer. I feel LESS in control on this game then I do games like WoW where its click and spam buttons. Aiming would of made this FAR better I feel. Wouldn't of fixed the clunkiness of combat though thats part of the design choice feeling players shouldn't be penalized for spamming buttons. 

I just don't see myself. It upsets me a lot to because I'm usually one who can have a blast and no life a lot of games, and this one just struggled from day 1 to keep me for over a few hours, and I'm the no lifer that enjoys grinding games out 24 hour marathon on launch. Not my game and truthfully I just feel its lack luster over-all and I'm not one to buy into hype in the first place which makes me feel that much more 'eh' about it. 

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    I will play GW2 for many years. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Karteli any game is going to be boring ultimately if you do it solo. Gw2 is meant to be a social game where you play with real people and enjoy grouping with your friends. Glorified chat room? Suppose you would look at it that way if you didn't care about anyone in the game.

Wha What?

I appreciate your concern, but GW2 is not a social game.  It is social only if you believe map chat is social, or guild chat is social.  There are no bonds holding players together so playing GW2 is about as social as striking up a conversation with someone on your local subway, then saying goodbye .. and meeting someone new soon after.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.