Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR had many innovations

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

SWTOR had an innovation or two, some more than others:

1) Story detailed environment.

2) The Music was simply hands down amazing.  I'd trade in my Darth Malgus doorstop for another disc or 2 on the soundtrack.  SWTOR had 6 hours of music in addition to previous KOTOR music.

3) The artwork was brilliant.  Any envirornment felt like Star Wars, even if the game wasn't Star Wars'y.  When you got close to objects they got clearer (you could read a computer screen if you walked up to it).

4) Added Star Fox!  Wouldn't everyone love Star Fox instead of Pokemon? (OK, but gave way to maybe other minigames?)

The rest is left to everyone else to fill in!

What made this game innovative to you?

edit comment: I'm trying to put a positive light on SWTOR.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by Karteli

Innovative but an unsustainable model after release.  It represented the biggest waste of their resources in terms of trying to make a compelling MMO.

2) The Music was simply hands down amazing.  I'd trade in my Darth Malgus doorstop for another disc or 2 on the soundtrack.

How is the soundtrack innovative?

3) The artwork was brilliant.  Any envirornment felt like Star Wars, even if the game wasn't Star Wars'y.

How is the artwork innovative?

I don't think the game was all that innovative outside of the exceptional story telling.  It was very "by the numbers" in every other regard really.  I didn't like the way they handled companions with stories though.  I just wish they let you pick the spec for each companion.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

2) The Music was simply hands down amazing.  I'd trade in my Darth Malgus doorstop for another disc or 2 on the soundtrack.

This so much. The doorstop was a dissapointment.

The moddability of items is nice, as the crew skills in general (though it seems to be a love/hate thing). Not sure if a game had something like the Legacy system where it rewards leveling alts either. At least not to that scale (heirloom items in other games come to mind). And of course the story aspect of it. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Innovative but an unsustainable model after release.  It represented the biggest waste of their resources in terms of trying to make a compelling MMO.

How is the soundtrack innovative?

3) The artwork was brilliant.  Any envirornment felt like Star Wars, even if the game wasn't Star Wars'y.

How is the artwork innovative?

I don't think the game was all that innovative outside of the exceptional story telling.  It was very "by the numbers" in every other regard really.  I didn like the way they handled companions with stories though.  I just wish they let you pick the spec for each companion.

2) Well SWTOR added 6 hours of music to the game. That is innovation.  Sadly the music is online and not apart of the CE .. :(

3) NO SW game, pre-SWTOR had those those types of artistic details in their game. 

When you got close to a computer screen (in game) you could read what it said, clear as day.  Actuall I can't remember an MMO that had this feature.  SWTOR was sluggish as hell, but it had some features.

Usually in an MMO, when you got close to look at "something", it got blurry.  In SWTOR's defense, it actually got clearer.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Combat -

The way the animations sinked with damage delivery. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

Combat -

That part was nice too, choreographed combat.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    The artwork and graphics in general were terrible. Have you seen the end game armor? It doesnt even fit in with the Star Wars 'style'.
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Music innovative?

I don't think the OP even knows the meaning of the word.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by bcbully

Combat -

That part was nice too, choreographed combat.

that's the word I was looking for. It's been awhile. I used to use a neat little word equaution to explain what the choreographed combat was like.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by karmath
    The artwork and graphics in general were terrible. Have you seen the end game armor? It doesnt even fit in with the Star Wars 'style'.

By graphics I guess I was referring to the general art theme of the zones.

The new armor sets are lame, I must agree.  Yeah, horns on various classes "helmets" doesn't really jive much in Star Wars.  Putting stuff like that in, is, to put it mildly, stupid.

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

The ONLY thing differing SWToR from ANY other game was the Mulitple Choice story lines. Period.

How has that gone? Fastest game to go FTP in history.

Here i am trying to create a positive thread.

C'mere Ahnog!

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    To be honest I probably will start playing again after f2p is live.
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Having to be level 10 to get to the fleet.

It limits the ability to switch starter zones, but it prevents a level 1 toon goldfarmer to spam in a central hub.

A rather simple but clever mechanism to dissuade gold spammers. (Especially when the trial weekends and such went live.)

Before you try and discount the innovation due to SWTOR's lagging popularity, remember, even near comatose games such as Warhammer still have gold spammers 24-7.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the companion system.

Personally I despise it, but I see how it could be viewed as innovative.

I guess the same could be said for Hutt-Ball. An intresting idea to create an "E-Sport". Again, not my cup of tea, but could be viewed as innovative.

I'm wracking my brain for other innovations in SWTOR, but I'm not really coming up with anything that isn't snarky.

I guess you could include the lightside/darkside points in regard to equipment and apperance; but there would be a huge asterix since the system was seriously hobbled and in my opinion implemented poorly, and is just a subset of the whole conversation wheel lightside/darkside/ (conspicuously missing) neutral side point system in general.
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

Having to be level 10 to get to the fleet.

It limits the ability to switch starter zones, but it prevents a level 1 toon goldfarmer to spam in a central hub.

A rather simple but clever mechanism to dissuade gold spammers. (Especially when the trial weekends and such went live.)

Before you try and discount the innovation due to SWTOR's lagging popularity, remember, even near comatose games such as Warhammer still have gold spammers 24-7.

A good call, SWTOR did have less gold farmers, for whatever reason.

Just to give credit though, Aion also had that feature.  The first levels were spent in newbie land, until level 10.  Upon which a new player got wings and immortality, and could go to other areas.

Aion bots found ways around everything because it was profitable.  Bots in SWTOR went out of business because credits are next to worthless (credits are needed for training, but they are easy to acquire even by noobs).

I guess you could include the lightside/darkside points in regard to equipment and apperance; but there would be a huge asterix since the system was seriously hobbled and in my opinion implemented poorly, and is just a subset of the whole conversation wheel lightside/darkside/ (conspicuously missing) neutral side point system in general.

Yeah the lightside / darkside was interesting .. but then when you played it, it was more annoying than anything.  Players had to start picking light or dark choices in their adventures just to use an item, which really screwed up how they "wanted" to play.

Then neutral was promissed but never delivered.  Let's not count that as an innovation.

I wouldn't go so far as to say bots are useless in SWTOR.

They are used for leveling (space shooter) and pvp farming; and BW didn't/doesn't seem terribly proactive about dealing with it. (Or speed hacks and their ilk).

Didn't realize Aion had a similai system to discourage gold farming. The more you know. It was still a nice game mechanic to incorporate.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the companion system.

Personally I despise it, but I see how it could be viewed as innovative.

I guess the same could be said for Hutt-Ball. An intresting idea to create an "E-Sport". Again, not my cup of tea, but could be viewed as innovative.

I'm wracking my brain for other innovations in SWTOR, but I'm not really coming up with anything that isn't snarky.

Companions:  It was nice.  I didn't mind it, and the resource, collection system was neat too.  Especially since companions would run around and grab resources for you.

HuttBall - fun idea .. I wish EA could have made more maps .. like 500 (literally 500) maps, and had random maps everytime a new match formed.   But HuttBall was innovative, game wise.

Again, sometimes retro is innovation. Unlike WoW which in its efforts to become more casualized, has drifted away from its class quests, SWTOR refocused on them. Not only did they refocus on them, they made class quests arguably the best part of the game.
    Also, adding puzzle elements to the raids, albeit the innovative aspect was undercut by bugs, definitley falls into the innovation department. Whether or not their implementation was carried out well is a matter of debate, but still innovative.
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Best  class stories ever, nice detailed planets but to much restricted, smooth combat as in wow, sw feeling in stations, housing in space ship but again with restriction, legacy, datachrons puzzle. Still game in my top 5 list. Forgot amazing raids  

I forgot about the datacrons. ALthough some didn't like them, that is again, innovative. (As a side note, it is kind of funny to hear some rather aggresive SWTOR fans accuse GW2 of being a "jumping puzzle" game when one considers the datacrons.)

In particulair to the datacrons, the Jawa ballon, although mind numbingly frustrating when it bugged, was innovative in its whimsy.

Again, a matter of taste in regard to liking/disliking it, but I would consider it innovative.

Apparently I have decided to pad my post count.

It was mentioned earlier, but the Legacy system cna be considered innovative. On the other hand, it could be considered innovation gone terribly awry.

As an honnorable mention, I guess trying to fit a somewhat square peg in a somewhat round hole of adapting a Fantasy based combat mechanic into a sci-fi world presents unique challenges. Just ask the developers who worked at Mythic who worked on the never released Centurion MMO.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

I think the whole issue was that SWTOR did not innovate, it's OK neither did GW2 ;)

The problem is that SWTOR was just at a bad position, it did not had umph to make people stop playing other MMO's especially WoW since it was pretty much the same thing, again nothing wrong with it but most people will have a very hard time giving up chars that they've spent years to develop for the same old thing in a new shiny skin.

And for the Star Wars(Galaxies that is) fans it was just not what they were looking for, i don't know why would they even bother with SWTOR since it was clearly not SWG and never pretended to be it either.

Too many people became way too vocal, honestly i never seen people waste so much effort to trash a game before in my life, this cascaded trough the entire community and just caused the game to implode on it self.

GW2 at least had its own established fan base go get subs from, and the fact that it was clearly PVP centric and did not had a sub-fee allows it to compete with giants like WoW with out actually having to step into the same arena with them.

SWTOR was just too little too late, or at least at too of an awkward time...