Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Watch the Fight vs Watch the Addon!

JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

StumbleUpon lead me to this today...

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    well considering you put this in the GW2 forums sure most would say GW2(although on this site can't say for sure on that).. shoulda put this in the general forum

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

So one pick with UI off, the other with UI on. Off to a grand start there.

The fact that GW2 is playable without UI due to fewer things to keep track of is cool. The fact that all you need to watch for is, well nothing, isn't. Dying in GW2's epic events is an artform I have yet to grasp.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

That's the most godawful AI I've ever seen in WoW.

My UI when I played was minimalist, with no bars or icons onscreen as I knew all my keybindings by heart. Barely had a map frame, a colldown bar and a chat frame. Which by the way, I could place and resize wherever I wanted through addons.

The question should be "Fully Modabble and Customizable Interface vs Static Interface that you may or may not like".

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Lol doesn't the 'New renew record' capture what wow has become in a nutshell.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

StumbleUpon lead me to this today...

Ignoring the fact that CTRL SHIFT H was used and ATL Z was not, this post is about as obvious as it gets. 

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Thats one of the things I do not miss about wow.

Is your deadly boss mods up to date! Do you have cast bar mods! Keep track of your DKP.

Remembering what mods you were using and setting them all back up again probably takes longer than the install. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

do NOT miss that from WoW.

with three specifically notable bad ones...

Gear Check

DPS Meters

Deadly Boss Mods

I also do NOT miss the boss dances it's retarded having to do all that crap to fight something...

you have to put you're elbow in you have to pull your elbow out you have to put your elbow in and shake it all about

Originally posted by itgrowls

Gear Check

DPS Meters

Deadly Boss Mods

I also do NOT miss the boss dances it's retarded having to do all that crap to fight something...

you have to put you're elbow in you have to pull your elbow out you have to put your elbow in and shake it all about

I certainly get the Gear check, the DPS meters (I hate those too) DBM, I didn't mind so much, but I get why you wouldn't like the fact that you need them. But I fail to understand how GW2 boss fights aren't a dance in themselves. 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Gear Check

DPS Meters

Deadly Boss Mods

I certainly get the Gear check, the DPS meters (I hate those too) DBM, I didn't mind so much, but I get why you wouldn't like the fact that you need them. But I fail to understand how GW2 boss fights aren't a dance in themselves. 

GW2 bosses were never promised to not be 'dances', but the big difference is you do spend more time focusing on what the bosses are doing, rather than what your UI is doing (even when it's turned on). Every boss fight (MMO or not) turns into a sort of dance once you understand the mechanics. That's just the nature of video games, and combat in general.

However, I think few would argue that WoW's endgame boss fights haven't turned into a cluttered mess of bars, cooldowns, & UI mods.

Originally posted by aesperus

Gear Check

DPS Meters

Deadly Boss Mods

GW2 bosses were never promised to not be 'dances', but the big difference is you do spend more time focusing on what the bosses are doing, rather than what your UI is doing (even when it's turned on). Every boss fight (MMO or not) turns into a sort of dance once you understand the mechanics. That's just the nature of video games, and combat in general.

However, I think few would argue that WoW's endgame boss fights haven't turned into a cluttered mess of bars, cooldowns, & UI mods.

I think the UI thing is a matter of choice, I have always kept my raid addons to a minimum just for this reason here, but I never really had a problem keeping it minimal. I will grant the UI watching as an issue. At least I hated that about healing in WoW. Felt like I was watching timers and health bars more than the boss.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I think the UI thing is a matter of choice, I have always kept my raid addons to a minimum just for this reason here, but I never really had a problem keeping it minimal. I will grant the UI watching as an issue. At least I hated that about healing in WoW. Felt like I was watching timers and health bars more than the boss.

was same for me in Rift and most other themeparks and really turned me off from healing in any of those games.. although in Rift chloro healing is fun

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Are we still trying to "prove" that GW2 is "better"? How long is this going to go on?
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

that pretty much describes my UI when I was MT or a healer in raids... Tho more when I was healing, when I was tanking I had to look the actual mobs position (or well that tiny bit of the screen which wasn't hogged by addons).

Sad but true... I really wonder why I even did all those raids, tho I guess I wasn't realising this up untill that point where I stopped playing it  few years ago.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Are we still trying to "prove" that GW2 is "better"? How long is this going to go on?

I think the word you are looking for is different ...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

ok is not fair since GW2 picture has UI hidden.

Now, i use many addons in WoW but i will never put a single tiny addon in the middle of the screen that obsctruct my view of whats going on in my game. I fit them on the edges of the screen as i can or i dont use them at all. I suck at raiding / pvp / etc because i dont pay attention to my UI, i care about the fun i have playing not about the bars going down and numbers floating around.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I wouldn't.  I played the game for years, and most every hunter I ever met didn't actually see the boss, just their rotation from a standing position, once in a while moving out of the fire when an add-on told them to. lol

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

If you dont like the WoW add-ons then why did you download them?

If your screen is a cluttered mess then why did you make it that way?

You dont need all those add-ons to play so if you have a dozen add-ons filling your screen then its your fault.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Xiaoki
    If you dont like the WoW add-ons then why did you download them?

If your screen is a cluttered mess then why did you make it that way?

You dont need all those add-ons to play so if you have a dozen add-ons filling your screen then its your fault.

The culture started revolving around the addons rather than the game.

If you don't have Vent/TS/Mumble/etc - go away.

If you use a mouse to do anything other than spin the camera - you are a drool-breathing window-licker.

If you didn't have DBM-aware mods, you'd get kicked from raids (rather you knew what you were doing or not).

If your gearscore wasn't XXXXX you were kicked from groups (rather you were a good player or not)

If your DPS/HPS/whatever was low in a group/raid you'd get kicked (regardless of if you provided any other utility or function in the event)

WoW is a game all about the numbers - rather akin to Baseball. People who enjoy it don't usually play it for the game itself, they play it for the statistics.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

was same for me in Rift and most other themeparks and really turned me off from healing in any of those games.. although in Rift chloro healing is fun

It's the one thing I still miss about Rift all these months later. My ChloroLock is one of the most fun classes I've ever played in an MMO.

I also tried healing in WOW with all the addons and found the same thing. Sometimes I was barely aware that the fight was over.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DwigoDwigo Member UncommonPosts: 51
     Just because you can't play WoW without addons doesn't mean everyone else is using them. I have been doing just fine without using any addons at all. Also GW2 bossfights are nothing special.
  • AegisSagaAegisSaga Member Posts: 33

The bias on that picture comparison is astonishingly evident. Let's ignore the fact GW2 has its UI hidden there. You can make a very minimalistic, yet perfectly functional UI on WoW with the correct AddOns and the patience to customize them; to the point where it becomes even BETTER than GW2's default UI for some people's tastes. Besides, you do have to remember that raid fights in WoW are much more complicated than in GW2, whose dynamic events are zerg-fests with no tactics whatsoever (trust me, I did all cathedral events, none requiered more than "I died, someone rez pls"). 

Contrary to what people believe, you actually need to be more aware of what the boss does in WoW than in GW2. So much so, that players rely on UIs to help them stay aware of the fight's elements. GW2's PvE combat had no real depth, I liked the PvP very much, but PvE had nothing for me. 

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91

So, in one game you need to use specially designed addons in order to perform at the highest level against challenging and complex encounters. And in the other game you press 1 repeatedly trying to get as much damage in as you can before the boss dies to the zerg of players spamming their 1 key. 

Which would you prefer?

(And yes, my comparison is just as ridiculous as the comparison in this picture.)

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

a thousand +1's for you, sir or madam!

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Chloro with mouseover macros is in my top 3 classes ive played in an mmo.

As far as the op's pic. Its just a tad bias. But i guess thats the point hehe.