Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA must be getting desperate

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    All I have to say is they destroyed Bioware and it saddens me, that is all.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Khaeros
    If you don't like it, there should be a way to unsubscribe from the mailing list.

Ummm, there is. From the e-mail in question:

"To unsubscribe or otherwise manage your email preferences, visit https://account.swtor.com/user/info. "

And, seriously, I've gotten god knows how many e-mails from Eve, they seem to be the most prolific. Proof CCP is desperate? Hell, I get them from AoC, albeit not all that often. If there's anyone who should be desperate, it's Funcom. FE sends out e-mails every time G1st decides to have a sale, which is near weekly (and, in G1st's case, weakly). The list goes on.

Pretty much every MMO I've ever played, and that's most of them, sends out e-mails, so I have to conclude that SWTOR was the OP's first and last MMO.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Gruug
    Originally posted by erictlewis

I just got in from the grocery store and found this in my inbox

Game Update 1.4: Terror From Beyond is Now Live!

Greetings idiotplayer:

Rejoin now to check out Game Update 1.4: Terror from Beyond and the brand new game features including the Dread Guard gear set and much more!

• Claim Your Rewards – Renewing your subscription now will qualify you to receive a grant of Cartel Coins* (good for purchase of in-game items) at the launch of the Free-to-Play option this Fall.
    • New Challenges to Face – New Operation: Terror from Beyond is the most challenging and rewarding Operation to date. Get ready to face one of the largest and most dangerous enemies ever unleashed in The Old Republic. Group up and find out if you can save the galaxy!
    • Expanded Group Finder Features – Join a group for an Operation or Flashpoint and return to your previous location when you’ve completed the mission.
    • Enhanced Customization Options – Show your moods with the new emote modifiers and dress your Companions for success with the new Companion Unify Color option.

Thus must think I am a special kind of stupid to fall for that.  Hey we will give you carell coins, um well according to the fact that is supposed to happen anyways if you ever had a sub, now you have to have your sub active when it goes free to play to get them.

I wish there was a way to reply to that message from EA, but I will say it here. Sorry EA but I am in the least bit not interested.

Except you have your facts incorrect. You must have an ACTIVE ACCOUNT when F2P launches to qualify for those Cartel Coins. That means you get nothing for PREVIOUS MONTHS nor for months going forward. So, if you do not have an active sub...you get nothing.

Thanks for getting the facts correct.  Now I won't be getting Cartel Coins, since I'm not subscribing to a currently FUBAR game.

It's more of EA's attempt to promise a pot of gold at the end of the raindbow, then when you get close, the rainbow is gone (much like the history of this game).

When the game gets better, then those Cartel Coins mean something.  Until then, they are just dust in the wind, with promise of much more .... one day, they might be valuable .. but we can't guarantee that, just like we can't guarantee WZ's to be engaging for PUG's (because we allow Rated groups to stomp them while they are in their own queue).

EA hypothetical: "We don't know what we're doing, but we're trying!", "We'll get it right in a few months or even years if that is what it takes.  We are determined."

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    If the game was any other IP than Star Wars it would have been brought down already. I don't see why they are even trying.
  • AtrocitusAtrocitus Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow
    If the game was any other IP than Star Wars it would have been brought down already. I don't see why they are even trying.

EA/BIO is milking every last nickel and dime from the players.......

Every last penny. And the Biodrones keep reaching in their pockets saying ' WE TRUST IN BIOWARE', foolishly..........

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Atrocitus
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

EA/BIO is milking every last nickel and dime from the players.......

Every last penny. And the Biodrones keep reaching in their pockets saying ' WE TRUST IN BIOWARE', foolishly..........

Or maybe some of us are having fun in game. Just a thought. image

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Greetings idiotplayer:

Rejoin now to check out Game Update 1.4: Terror from Beyond and the brand new game features including the Dread Guard gear set and much more!

• Claim Your Rewards – Renewing your subscription now will qualify you to receive a grant of Cartel Coins* (good for purchase of in-game items) at the launch of the Free-to-Play option this Fall.
    • New Challenges to Face – New Operation: Terror from Beyond is the most challenging and rewarding Operation to date. Get ready to face one of the largest and most dangerous enemies ever unleashed in The Old Republic. Group up and find out if you can save the galaxy!
    • Expanded Group Finder Features – Join a group for an Operation or Flashpoint and return to your previous location when you’ve completed the mission.
    • Enhanced Customization Options – Show your moods with the new emote modifiers and dress your Companions for success with the new Companion Unify Color option.

Thus must think I am a special kind of stupid to fall for that.  Hey we will give you carell coins, um well according to the fact that is supposed to happen anyways if you ever had a sub, now you have to have your sub active when it goes free to play to get them.

I wish there was a way to reply to that message from EA, but I will say it here. Sorry EA but I am in the least bit not interested.

All the MMOs do the same thing, im still getting email, form AOC, Lotro, Warhammer and even GW2.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by jerlot65

This post is proof that the MMORPG communitty is full of  the worst, most jaded, most idiotic people out there.  A simple email advertisement is picked apart, degraded, taken way out of context, held under a microscope, blown way out of proportion, and generates 100's of conspiracy/end of the world theories.

Any other product/company would do the same exact email and people who liked it would click on it and the people who dont would just delete it.  But no, not from a MMORPG company, oh heck no, this email must be the talk of the town now.

Give me a break people.

Yep! Just to clarify, I mean yours

It is worth discussing, as it seems that they send out different emails, which I find fascinating, as currently I have a active sub but it is set for expiration within the next few days.

The email I received did not contain anything about Cartel coins, and claiming the rewards.

Also for accounts that have never registered the game get no email at all.

With other MMOs I receive the same email for all accounts, but as EA did not do this, then thanks to the OP I am now aware of the Cartel coins, as EA obviously not taken care of the people who are pending closure, so I can now zoom to my acount and make sure my account does not lapse and I can get those super duper cartel coins! AWESOME!

Here is the email I got:

Greetings superniceguy:

Game Update 1.4: Terror From Beyond includes several new features, the Dread Guard gear set and a new high-level Operation that we hope you and your friends will enjoy!

• New Endgame Gear – Conquer the Operation: Terror From Beyond and upgrade your characters’ combat prowess and appearance with the legendary Dread Guard gear.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    I reported my email from them as a phishing scam lol.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by jerlot65

This post is proof that the MMORPG communitty is full of  the worst, most jaded, most idiotic people out there.  A simple email advertisement is picked apart, degraded, taken way out of context, held under a microscope, blown way out of proportion, and generates 100's of conspiracy/end of the world theories.

Any other product/company would do the same exact email and people who liked it would click on it and the people who dont would just delete it.  But no, not from a MMORPG company, oh heck no, this email must be the talk of the town now.

Give me a break people.

Yep! Just to clarify, I mean yours

It is worth discussing, as it seems that they send out different emails, which I find fascinating, as currently I have a active sub but it is set for expiration within the next few days.

The email I received did not contain anything about Cartel coins, and claiming the rewards.

Also for accounts that have never registered the game get no email at all.

With other MMOs I receive the same email for all accounts, but as EA did not do this, then thanks to the OP I am now aware of the Cartel coins, as EA obviously not taken care of the people who are pending closure, so I can now zoom to my acount and make sure my account does not lapse and I can get those super duper cartel coins! AWESOME!

Here is the email I got:

Greetings superniceguy:

Game Update 1.4: Terror From Beyond includes several new features, the Dread Guard gear set and a new high-level Operation that we hope you and your friends will enjoy!

• New Endgame Gear – Conquer the Operation: Terror From Beyond and upgrade your characters’ combat prowess and appearance with the legendary Dread Guard gear.

Plus 1000 cartel coins if you own CE

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Either OP likes dissing SWTOR/Bioware/EA or this is the first of its kind of e-mail he/she has received. In retrospect though, this isn't the first of its kind of topic that was posted. I wish people would stop making it a big of a deal when they received e-mails from MMOs they no longer play.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I have the CE and EA can shove those points where the sun don't shine.  The game stunk.  Where is SW innovation in all this mess?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• donjuanagaindonjuanagain Member UncommonPosts: 135
    I deleted that email right out of the gate. I wasted $150 on the CE and I punch myself in the balls everytime I see that stupid box sitting in my closet collecting dust. This game couldnt have been more of steaming pile of cow shit for me.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by revy66
    I get these e-mails from all kinds of MMOs really, this is nothing new.

very true.. i get these from most MMOs i have stopped subscribing to

same here. just after mop launched i got the same type of email all at once about WoW, STO, LOTRO, and SWTOR all in the same week.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Ah :( I regret letting my friend have the CE key while I keep the physical goods and upgrading to the digital deluxe now. 

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

"Grettings Idiotplayer"?

I guess EA has given up on marketing entirely then.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by revy66
    I get these e-mails from all kinds of MMOs really, this is nothing new.

very true.. i get these from most MMOs i have stopped subscribing to

same here. just after mop launched i got the same type of email all at once about WoW, STO, LOTRO, and SWTOR all in the same week.

Heck, I even get emails from MMO companies advertizing the expac I already bought from them, case in point WoW with MoP. I just got a prepurchase MoP email ad in my inbox last week.

MMO companies move in mysterious ways.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

Except you have your facts incorrect. You must have an ACTIVE ACCOUNT when F2P launches to qualify for those Cartel Coins. That means you get nothing for PREVIOUS MONTHS nor for months going forward. So, if you do not have an active sub...you get nothing.

wrong. Oh how I love how people present made up facts.

The first option indeed gives free cartel points for the prior months. Read the fineprint, then post instead of misinforming people.

150 Cartel Coins 1
    Each paid month prior to July 31, 2012

1 OFFER VALID FOR ACTIVE OR FORMER PAYING SUBSCRIBERS OF Star Wars™: THE OLD REPUBLIC™ (“SWTOR”) AS OF JULY 31, 2012 AT 11:59PM CDT / JULY 31, 2012 AT 4:59AM GMT. OFFER MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED, EXCHANGED, SOLD OR REDEEMED FOR CASH OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES. MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. LIMIT ONE OFFER PER ACCOUNT. AWARD OF CARTEL COINS SUBJECT TO DIGITAL SERVICES AGREEMENT AND APPLIED IN-GAME TO USER ACCOUNT.

Originally posted by Yakamomoto

The first option indeed gives free cartel points for the prior months. Read the fineprint, then post instead of misinforming people.

150 Cartel Coins 1

1 OFFER VALID FOR ACTIVE OR FORMER PAYING SUBSCRIBERS OF Star Wars™: THE OLD REPUBLIC™ (“SWTOR”) AS OF JULY 31, 2012 AT 11:59PM CDT / JULY 31, 2012 AT 4:59AM GMT. OFFER MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED, EXCHANGED, SOLD OR REDEEMED FOR CASH OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES. MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. LIMIT ONE OFFER PER ACCOUNT. AWARD OF CARTEL COINS SUBJECT TO DIGITAL SERVICES AGREEMENT AND APPLIED IN-GAME TO USER ACCOUNT.

That just means people who were subscribing by July 31st. Anyone who joined the game from Aug 1st do not qualify at all , even if start subbing now.

According to the email in the OP, it implies that people need to be subscribed when F2P hits, to get them, and if you do not subscribe now / ASAP you will not qualify. That is what it is implying.

"Renewing your subscription now will qualify you to receive a grant of Cartel Coins" So, if you do not renew sub now, then will not qualify.

If you are correct and people do get cartel coins when F2P hits, and do not need to sub, then EA are really really desperate, as they are misleading people to resub when not necessary

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

its EA, it was expected

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

150 Cartel Coins 1

That just means people who were subscribing by July 31st. Anyone who joined the game from Aug 1st do not qualify at all , even if start subbing now.

According to the email in the OP, it implies that people need to be subscribed when F2P hits, to get them, and if you do not subscribe now / ASAP you will not qualify. That is what it is implying.

"Renewing your subscription now will qualify you to receive a grant of Cartel Coins" So, if you do not renew sub now, then will not qualify.

If you are correct and people do get cartel coins when F2P hits, and do not need to sub, then EA are really really desperate, as they are misleading people to resub when not necessary

in any case, people should read the fineprint on this site http://www.swtor.com/free/ VERY thoroughly (scroll down to the very end) . For each point pack there are different circumstances. Yes, for most of them you need to be subbed when they go F2P but not for Option 1.

I was subbed for 3 months prior to July, i´m not subbed now but when F2P hits I´ll get 450 points according to that info, no matter if I´m subbed or not on that date.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

150 Cartel Coins 1

Finally somebody who understood what I meant.  The FAQ says former players as of July 31,2012.  However the email sure sounded like you had to be subbed up at the time it goes free to pay in order to get the cartel coins.  So either the FAQ is wrong or the email is wrong, and that is what is confusing and or misleading.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Greetings idiotplayer:

There are lot of desperate companies out there then because i get these emails from just any MMO that i played in the past including WOW with its 9 mill player base. Damn they must be desperate too.

150 Cartel Coins 1

Finally somebody who understood what I meant.  The FAQ says former players as of July 31,2012.  However the email sure sounded like you had to be subbed up at the time it goes free to pay in order to get the cartel coins.  So either the FAQ is wrong or the email is wrong, and that is what is confusing and or misleading.

If EA are not being misleading then I would say they are both right.

If the email is right and the FAQ is wrong, then anybody will qualify if they renew now.

If the FAQ is right and the email is wrong, then EA are being misleading

If they are both right, then the offer only applies to people who were subbed by July 31st, AND have active accounts when F2P hits, which satisfies the FAQ and the email

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by strangepower

I didn't even read my copy, I saw the subject line and deleted it right away.

I did the same after laughing.

i did the same after spitting on my monitor! 

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!