Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG Opportunity to get to Play Something Special

IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

A little while back I was bored , EvE is on the backburner best in depth tactical MMO and the only one that for me that has really impressed in recent years. A Mix of everything , Politics Intrigue and more..... Not as fast paced as a game could be but a Mix of everything Adrenalin please or a few missions and some ISK to be earned.

I was searching about and found a few online books to read good value , Fantasy based with a real good storyline. The underlying plot was good and unusually two trillogies woven into a set of four books. The Author of these was a guy called Philip Blood. http://www.philipblood.com and the Series of books called Cathexis a favourite charachter of mine in the books was called Poison , a favourite of mine.

What was unusual is I noticed that he was developing a MMO, which intrigued me as MMOs are a pet love/hate  of mine for many years ever since the dawning of Meridian59 , UO and a number of the classics. Picking corpses out of the wastelands with Umbris killing me repeatedley in AC1.

The game he was developing had a concept/design that for the first time in a long time made me smile. The guys developing the game were from a company MMO.Magic. http://www.mmomagic.com

What struck me was they had a concept , Expansive gameworld , Game Systems that are very well thought out , No End Game , the destruction of the Holy Trinity. Severe NPC A.I that can kill , so work together guys else you will be dead. Dissapointed as a lot of readers here arewith the current crop of MMOs all of this brought a smile (Again) to my face.

The Game is Citadel of Sorcery and the opportunity has come for people to support something with an Old-School flavour to it, longevity and the potential of a great community forming. The self generating world and quest structure is perfect for loosing yourself and friends in.

This is a great opportunity to support a game with a lot of what has been missing , please support it at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mmomagic/citadel-of-sorcery-mmorpg?ref=live

This has been a surprise to me but it all adds up to the chance to Play something special. And what are a few dollars in a good cause.

Comments

• RogonRogon Member Posts: 5
    You know Isane I have read most, if not all of your posts on our CoS forums and I just wanted to let you know how much we appreciate you and everyone else that has been riding this train for so very long!  Now if only I could convince you to become a Tyven I think the world would be perfect~
  • IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by Rogon
    You know Isane I have read most, if not all of your posts on our CoS forums and I just wanted to let you know how much we appreciate you and everyone else that has been riding this train for so very long!  Now if only I could convince you to become a Tyven I think the world would be perfect~

I am torn lets see what happens in game , the transformation should be fun ....

• PellagrenPellagren Member Posts: 32
    Well written, Isane.  I think we are all going to discover that there are a lot of jaded gamers who are willing to back a project that will progress the genre.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

There's hardly any mention of actual gameplay. How does the combat work? Whats the goal there? What group dynamics are they planning? What mechanics?

All the world stuff is a backdrop, I want to hear about the game. Where is the game?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    The team members listed on the Kickstarter page worked on some really cool PC and PlayStation titles from 1994-2002 but nothing after that. Have they been working exclusively on CoS since then or have they also had other projects?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Quirhid

There's hardly any mention of actual gameplay. How does the combat work? Whats the goal there? What group dynamics are they planning? What mechanics?

All the world stuff is a backdrop, I want to hear about the game. Where is the game?

Unfortunately, you really have to sift their forums and read all the responses guys like Jatar and others provide to specific questions and there's still a lot of systems that remain unfinished.

Others will differ (you'll see them white knight to rescue here in a moment) image and tell you there's ton's of available information, if so, I'd love to see some of it posted here on these forums in a consolidated format  by areas, such as crafting, combat, travel, grouping etc, for easier reference.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by Isane

Come on Isane! Play a Tyven. I am.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Honestly the Kickstarter doesn't really inspire me.

Settings are interchangable, sure, some work better than others, some have better lore, better stories to be told and greater potential but I'm not interested in the setting so much as to consider it my primary concern for an MMORPG.

Right now, I'm only insterested in mechanically different games.

Yes, the idea of the dynamic questing is intriguing, but hardly a shocker (City of Steam employs a similar system, at least from what I gather).

Actually, I find the described questing system to be the weakest point of the potential game.

It seems like its taking the MMORPG "genre" entirely in the wrong direction with hand-written quests.

Isn't that like SWTORs promise of storytelling as the fourth pillar in MMORPGs? Can't we put "questing" to rest now after ~20 years of MMORPGs?

In the end it does not matter if I get to chose a "kill 10 rats" quest, or a "kill 10 rats tailored to my ch6aracter and backed up by story" quest, they are both the same old, tired, mechanic that propells me through progress.

The kickstarter unfortunately failed to grip me on almost all levels.

• mythranda1mythranda1 Member Posts: 16
    They actually consolidate a lot of information in the Kickstarter section on  www.citadelofsorcery.com. Talks about Gameplay, Questing, Social aspects, combat and a lot more.
  • StormakovStormakov Member UncommonPosts: 200

lol, I wonder how many WoW players would dump 10 grand to blizzard for a floating castle, cool idea regardless.

Dumped a couple bucks if for no other reason than to support the making of more MMOs, someone will eventually strike entertainment gold some day - Who's to say it won't be CoS.

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by AdamTM

Honestly the Kickstarter doesn't really inspire me.

Settings are interchangable, sure, some work better than others, some have better lore, better stories to be told and greater potential but I'm not interested in the setting so much as to consider it my primary concern for an MMORPG.

Yes, the idea of the dynamic questing is intriguing, but hardly a shocker (City of Steam employs a similar system, at least from what I gather).

Actually, I find the described questing system to be the weakest point of the potential game.

It seems like its taking the MMORPG "genre" entirely in the wrong direction with hand-written quests.

Isn't that like SWTORs promise of storytelling as the fourth pillar in MMORPGs? Can't we put "questing" to rest now after ~20 years of MMORPGs?

In the end it does not matter if I get to chose a "kill 10 rats" quest, or a "kill 10 rats tailored to my ch6aracter and backed up by story" quest, they are both the same old, tired, mechanic that propells me through progress.

The kickstarter unfortunately failed to grip me on almost all levels.

Read the interview on this site about the game it honestly got me giddy with joy.  If I wasnt a poor  college student I would donate immediately.  They have an amazing concept and have loads of development time behind them that was self funded.

P.s. I found out about this game 30 minutes ago and I think it has the most amazing ideas I've heard of.  I'm ready for a game that takes the mmo system and creates a truly massive world where anything is possible. I can definitely say im burned out on themepark games so I may be looking through rose-tinted glasses but this looks to be something that really spices up the genre.

• amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42

Actually the only problem with the game (and it's not really the game's problem, rather the current MMO mindset problem) is that it actually DOES introduce new mechanics and players coming from years of playing MMO games find it hard to understand some of the concepts without having preconceived notions of what MMO games are usually like.

It's not really "kill 10 rats packed up by a story", the word "quest" here introduces a different way of doing stories. How many MMO's have quests where you get to knock down your enemy, interrogate them (and even possibly have them lying to you), track them, trick them so they don't track you, sneak into their lair, use disguise, create diversion, spread rumors, make NPC friends and enemies, have a nemesis that you probably created through your previous actions hunt you down and try to sabotage your efforts, have enemies that would pretend to be your friend while secretly plotting your demise, ambushing and being ambushed, having to make difficult moral choices that have consequences (do I save the lost son, or do I save the town or do I try to do both when it could mean I would fail both), no do overs for quests, if you "fail" to do something things get more complicated and the story takes a different turn, and I'm only scratching the surface here...

I would like to see ONE MMO where it would be almost impossible to create a walk-through because the same "quest" is so different every time that you barely recognize it. The number of new mechanics introduced by the game is overwhelming. 

Originally posted by Jalitan

Come on Isane! Play a Tyven. I am.

In it for the long haul I like the Human and supersticion elements, what I need to understand is how many times I can transform. A Stealthy Tyven does appeal.....

Strangely I don't like to make hasty decisions so lets see how the land lies :)

So CoS does a total overhaul of the MMO Genre and removes the Holy Trinity , the MoB A.I will do away with this. And broings gamplay back to a point where senses / stealth / and tactics can win the day. it also provides the ability to play how you like and just explore.

The concept of the background story and hand written quests is not as simple as you appear to think, but it seems clear you have not engaged with the game so you wouldn't be in a position to know.

This game is all about bringing gameplay back , and with no endgame which has always been bad design we should hopefully get back on track. Quests are transparent in this game and actually become pure gameplay.

Shame you can't see further than your own nose , real shame.

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

So CoS does a total overhaul of the MMO Genre and removes the Holy Trinity , the MoB A.I will do away with this. And broings gamplay back to a point where senses / stealth / and tactics can win the day. it also provides the ability to play how you like and just explore.

The concept of the background story and hand written quests is not as simple as you appear to think, but it seems clear you have not engaged with the game so you wouldn't be in a position to know.

This game is all about bringing gameplay back , and with no endgame which has always been bad design we should hopefully get back on track. Quests are transparent in this game and actually become pure gameplay.

Shame you can't see further than your own nose , real shame.

I was thinking about checking into this until I saw SWTOR in your signature.

• RogonRogon Member Posts: 5
    I would like to see ONE MMO where it would be almost impossible to create a walk-through because the same "quest" is so different every time that you barely recognize it. 

As both a Lead LD and a player I am right there with you on this!

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    is the game first person or 3rd? i didnt see that anywhere.
  • DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Cuathon
    I was thinking about checking into this until I saw SWTOR in your signature.

Well it's great to know that someone's signature who likes a game is now a qualifier for whether or not another game is worthwhile.

Not enough eyerolls for that one...

• amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42

Originally posted by rungard
    is the game first person or 3rd? i didnt see that anywhere.

It's 3rd person. You can find a lot of information through official forums.

http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/forums/index.php

• RafanestRafanest Member Posts: 13

This could be a very good game. I invite everybody to visit their webpage, read about their ideas. And, eventually, if you like them, visit their kickstarter page.

I hope they have luck

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I spend my money on active games, not something that is a figment of someone's imagination.  Most of these games never make it to production, especially MMO's.  Even well funded MMO's don't have a great track record.  So if you don't mind throwing money away, then fund it, but I have a limited gaming budget and am going to use it on something that is real.
  • DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    I spend my money on active games, not something that is a figment of someone's imagination.  Most of these games never make it to production, especially MMO's.  Even well funded MMO's don't have a great track record.  So if you don't mind throwing money away, then fund it, but I have a limited gaming budget and am going to use it on something that is real.

Real doesn't mean good.

Now you're just throwing your money away on crap, the same crap that has been making the entire genre complete trash.

This is one of the reasons why publishers keep selling us the same crap over and over again and make money on it.  Some people yell for innovation but then shoot down any idea when it comes along.

This isn't just about CoS, I've seen the same trend with other indie MMOs lately.  Everyone thinks that a publisher means you know what you're doing.  SWTOR had a publisher.  FFXIV had a publisher.  A publisher doesn't mean you're making a good game, it means you convinced someone to spend a lot of money.

As far as CoS goes, they've been working for years without looking for a publisher because they wanted to prove it can be done.  I for one will be glad to see them accomplish it, even if takes another 8 years.. because the way things are going now, in 8 years all we'll have is GW2 clones.

The thread I saw a while back about players being the problem with MMOs is true.  Everyone says speak with your wallet but nobody does.  They speak alright, they say that they want the same clone crap to play with forums to cry about it on.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    I sincerely hope they manage to finish the game and publish it i the market.
  • JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104

I could not have said it better Darkin. CoS already has many features people have been looking for and they are only starting their Alpha phase. We gamers need to get behind game developers that are innovating or we will keep geting the same crap. The folks over at CoS have begun true next generation gaming.

Get behind it people. You have nothing to lose if the kickstarter doesn't hit the goal. They only take your pledge if they succeed. When they succeed, you will have been part of making the future of online RPGs. CoS is that important to MMORPGs.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mmomagic/citadel-of-sorcery-mmorpg

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400
    I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.