Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Brand New Combat Feature to be Revealed

Comments

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Ability to duck..?
  • CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186
    Well, this has the potential to be awesome. Consider me hyped.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Robsolf
    You'll have to do a 5 key combo for each of your active powers, now.  image

oh lord, i despised AOC melee combat, with a passion.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    My vote is for Auto Assault style mounted combat...with controls that are actually intuitive that is. Man that game was a control nightmare.

Joined - July 2004

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I'd come back to the game in a heartbeat if the "feature" was a total reworking of combat skills so that fighting mobs didn't take forever and feel so repetative...

You make me like charity

• KilorTheMeekKilorTheMeek Member Posts: 260
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    I'd come back to the game in a heartbeat if the "feature" was a total reworking of combat skills so that fighting mobs didn't take forever and feel so repetative...

Repetetive killing, like how it is in every single MMO ever made, since the beginning of ever?

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Kinda like hiding levels in "skill trees"  in oder to claim the characters don't have levels. lol

Riiiight what level is a guy with 8 in weapons a 10 on the head 5 on minors and a 7 on majors?

I'm waiting.

actually OG_Zorvan is right.

If you want to know how many levels are there you can start a new character and do the math while filling up the exp bars.

• KaspanovaKaspanova Member UncommonPosts: 61

Lets discuss the 'New Combat Feature' - not if TSW has levels. Lets ignore the "OG", as they have obviously just want to throw mud at Funcom and TSW. Thanks.

I'm really trying to rack my brain about this now, I would have thought straight up that it would be new weapons, but if Aux is out, then dayuuuum. This is quite exciting.

--------------------------

New abilities tied to achievements....?

There was mention of this not too long ago. Some hint of unlocking abilities tied to vampire related achievements...

Hmmm... http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?p=1428053#post1428053

----------------------

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167
    Love MMORPG, but you've gotta soften the ground a little bit more than that. 

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by KilorTheMeek

Repetetive killing, like how it is in every single MMO ever made, since the beginning of ever?

Yet somehow TSW makes it feel so much worse... probably because the fights take so long and have so little variety.

You make me like charity

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    First will come the CU and then the         NGE  wahooooooo
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by jayfeeler69
    My guess is they are adding auto attack and they will claim its original and never been done. Seriously does anyone believe the drivel funcom spouts anymore?

You haters will always hate, you all said the release would fail because its funcom, well you where wrong, TSW is a great game if you don't like it GTFO...

I get tired of gamers hating, go make a game so I can hate on it, better yet let me stand outside your job and complain.. I mean you haters and trolls need to get a life..

TSW proved you guys wrong with there great release the game has one of the best communitys with mature players who love to play the game like us mature players do with oyt the trolling in general chat... Which I have missed form MMO's for years..

So if you don't like funcom then good, no one cares.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Take for ever? are you kidding me, you must have a bad build, thats the problem to many people are used to game like WOW where it takes no brains to set up your build, TSW you need to think a bit to get a good build, I have no issues killing anything..

Get some builds  online somewhere and use it...

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Kinda like hiding levels in "skill trees"  in oder to claim the characters don't have levels. lol

Riiiight what level is a guy with 8 in weapons a 10 on the head 5 on minors and a 7 on majors?

I'm waiting.

actually OG_Zorvan is right.

If you want to know how many levels are there you can start a new character and do the math while filling up the exp bars.

There is horizontal progression and there is vertical progression. Claiming that it's the same is not true by a long shot. Let me give you an example:

Take a level 85 (or whatever is max these days) character from WoW, put him in a lvl 40 (ie average) territory, strip him and observe how long it will take from mobs there to kill him. Most likely never.

Now do the same in TSW. Take a character that can equip everything, Hell, take a character that has opened 100% all his abilities, strip him and put him somewhere in, say, Egypt. Now observe how long it will take him to die. I doubt he'll last a minute.

(Or you can make it even more extreme and put them both in the starter areas. The zombies in TSW will eat the naked "max" character just the same as they would the fresh out of the character creation. This is not happening in games with vertical progression like WoW, Rift, Tera, LOTRO etc.)

Some games have both progressions available, like Rift. When you hit max level, your vertical progression ends and the horizontal begins.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Been playing for a few days now. Having a blast with this game.

I would wish though that they would remove that silly cap of only one main quest. Especially be course it includes they fun and hard as hell investigation quests. I would really like to just have unlimited investigation quest slots. The current system just force you to google the solution as you cant go on with other things while you try to fugure out the puzzel.

That aside, its a great game.

Originally posted by hfztt

I would wish though that they would remove that silly cap of only one main quest. Especially be course it includes they fun and hard as hell investigation quests. I would really like to just have unlimited investigation quest slots. The current system just force you to google the solution as you cant go on with other things while you try to fugure out the puzzel.

I don't know if you are aware of it, but you can drop a main quest at any point to pick another and then you can go back to the starter NPC and re-grab it and you continue from the point (tier) you have stopped. You don't start over when you drop a quest.

I think their limited quest idea makes sense because most of them are multi-staged ones and you'd lose track of what you needed to do if you had say 5 main quests in different stages all in your map.

I'd also advice to leave the investigation quests for last in a particular zone. Doing everything else familiarises you with the zone, something that is helpful with a lot of investigation quests.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    The theory my Cabalists are thinking is that funcom is bringing in Multi-Player Investigation missions. Those of which you cannot finish unless you have a group working on it. As it stands on my Dragon (since my cabal is Dragon) ive done all the Investigation missions in a group RPing the whole Mission. its alot of fun specially when you can really get into the game when you arent Meta-Gaming. That being said i've already cleared it all on my Templar but still its fun doing it over again with a group.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

there quest system is created so that you arent just doing 1 quest hub after another, each quest you get especially red/green/yellow follow it to the end, you dont have to google, except maybe some tough investigations quests.  When you finish the last tier, look around, within usually 50 feet there is another quest, grab that one, follow it to completetion, eventually you will do the entire zone without feeling like you are just running back and forth, cause you actually quest to get the next quest and continue.  Its taken alot of flack from the wow/eq boys but thats cause nobody understood the process, they want you to follow the story, not just blindly grab all the quests you can, completely ignoring every quest and just trying to rush thru

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    The theory my Cabalists are thinking is that funcom is bringing in Multi-Player Investigation missions. Those of which you cannot finish unless you have a group working on it. As it stands on my Dragon (since my cabal is Dragon) ive done all the Investigation missions in a group RPing the whole Mission. its alot of fun specially when you can really get into the game when you arent Meta-Gaming. That being said i've already cleared it all on my Templar but still its fun doing it over again with a group.

I dont think that would be a new combat feature

Originally posted by Rayshe

They are talking about brand new combat feature though. Not a brand new questing feature.

I just hope it's not some kind of mounted combat, the zones are not that big to support mounts.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Xasapis

I don't know if you are aware of it, but you can drop a main quest at any point to pick another and then you can go back to the starter NPC and re-grab it and you continue from the point (tier) you have stopped. You don't start over when you drop a quest.

I think their limited quest idea makes sense because most of them are multi-staged ones and you'd lose track of what you needed to do if you had say 5 main quests in different stages all in your map.

I'd also advice to leave the investigation quests for last in a particular zone. Doing everything else familiarises you with the zone, something that is helpful with a lot of investigation quests.

No I didn't know that, and for the main (non investigation quests), yeah, I guess it makes sense. I would still argue that having multiple investigation quests open would not hurt as they dont tend to have map waypoints.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I agree with the No mount thing. i disagree with the idea of mounts in this game unless they create a area designed for mounts. IE Make Tokyo Huge but only have things happening in specific areas. everything else just looks like the APB city or something.

it also could potentially be the new animations they said they were going to work on. I wouldnt mind they making a way to make Melee DPS more usefull. as it stands there are plenty of fights that Melee just gets screwed in. It would be cool if they added a way to Hot-Switch builds mid fight or atleast in specific fights.

Givin that the raid is released this month, it may be something tied to how the raid is gonna work.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

there quest system is created so that you arent just doing 1 quest hub after another, each quest you get especially red/green/yellow follow it to the end, you dont have to google, except maybe some tough investigations quests.  When you finish the last tier, look around, within usually 50 feet there is another quest, grab that one, follow it to completetion, eventually you will do the entire zone without feeling like you are just running back and forth, cause you actually quest to get the next quest and continue.  Its taken alot of flack from the wow/eq boys but thats cause nobody understood the process, they want you to follow the story, not just blindly grab all the quests you can, completely ignoring every quest and just trying to rush thru

As far as questing goes, TSW's was the one that rejuvinated my interest in questing based leveling MMO's.  It really is its strongest suit IMO.  To bad the endgame is trash!

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

It's the same people complaining and trashing this game for being short on content!

While in fact they just ignored most of it, with no clue what they were doing. /shrug

In my second play through (after a reroll couple weeks back) Kingsmouth I ran into many new missions I had overlooked the first time.

As I was taking the wrong approach as well, by taking the questhub approach and so missed many many hidden missions across the zone.

This game actually rewards you for exploring every single inch of the map within each zone. Be it Achievement / Lore objects or hidden missions. Some even start entire mission chains with nice rewards.

I think too many people just suffer from the so called WoW syndrome. They are just so heavily conditioned into this mindset and can't get out of it.  /sigh

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223

They are probably adding macros! But seriously they said they are adding a new feature to THE GAME, not the genre, just love it when people blow shit out of proportion. In terms of innovation, it's in the tech and not always obvious to the player 100% of the time. Leading the pack in programming, is what the true innovation of Funcom is all about. Innovation is alot of risk taking involved and I give them props for leading instead of following.

I would die a happy camper, if they added a hotbar for easy access to heavily used abilities, but not being currently used. As someone who is a fully specced shotty/ele and making constant on the fly changes to 1-3 different abilities, being able to have quicker access to those abilities would be awesome.