Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you feel lied to, by Bioware/EA over SWTOR in some manner?

Comments

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    It was nearly exactly what I thought it would be. Pre-ordered after I was in vited to beta. I am currently back playing it again. I really never understood all the hate, I did my homework, and knew what I was buying. I never expected it to be some kind of savior and not everything developers say or wish to happen actually work out in the end. I'm ok with that. I wish they would add a real space portion to the game instead of the silly arcade game.
  • AtrocitusAtrocitus Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Vladamyre
    No I don't feel that I was lied to. I do feel that I was cheated on the price of the game. It wasn't worth $5.00.

You would think that people don't buy cat in the bag. Whenever I buy something (anything) I first check multiple sources/reviews to find out if I actually want it. In case of games I got burned on AoC, Aion and Rift, but I do not complain. It was my choice to get ithese games and I sucked it up. My decision and consequences are mine too. It is called personal responsibility.

Content updates?  OK if thats not enought, how about fast content updates.  What about free updates?  "Makeb" might not be free..

James Ohlen

January 23, 2012

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/23/the-challenge-of-creating-star-wars-the-old-republic

The quality, the polish has to be very, very high, and then you need to have a plan to continue to deliver free content on a regular basis.

The graphics deatil in the trailer's was amazing, then when the game released, suddenly the detail of the trailers were an accident, not representive of the actual game?

By proclaiming themselves as a competitor to WoW, this implied longevity in a game that would replace WoW (I don't play WoW anymore anyways).  MMORPG's nowadays just stink :(

Rated Battlegrounds coming in 1.2.  Nope just kidding, they will be Coming Soon though, even though we just cancelled it a day before the big patch.  If you resubscribed because of this, sorry, no refunds!  "We value PVP in our game".  Later, let us put mechanisms for Rated groups to queue against Pugs, while they wait, so they can stomp them.

GM tickets, "Thank you, this will be looked into".  Really?

SGRA?  Super Secret Space Project?

We are actively working to optimize the SWTOR graphics engine, still ongoing.

EA - Aug 27, 2012:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5091079#post5091079

Hey all, I just wanted to pop in and say we are actively working on various optimizations (both server and client) and will continue to do so. It's extremely important for us to continually make improvements to our technology so we can have users across a variety of system specs and support large living worlds for those users to craft their virtual lives.

We want fights to feel heroic, so you wont have a dozen people whacking away at one mob (paraphrased).

The Collectors Edition.  WOW what a betrayal.  Worth $150, but then worth $20 at Best Buy / Kmart and others as retailers dump this title, because it is going F2P.

SWTOR won't go F2P.

Greg Zeschuk

Dec 28th 2011

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/28/bioware-docs-defend-subscription-model-tease-free-to-play-itera/

"The free-to-play people can't invest to the level we can invest, and can't create something of the size and scale of something we can create."

Just some off the top of my head.

The hate is very strong in this one!!!!

And this is how you dodge the subject when you have been shown exactly how wrong you are..........

Just point out some perceived 'flaw' in the poster,  go on the attack.......Try to get the readers to avoid the fact that you have been owned...

• AtrocitusAtrocitus Member UncommonPosts: 85

LMAO

OF COURSE BIO LIED..........They lied about multiple things, they also participated in the 'lie of omission'.....

If anyone thinks any different, then you are naive....A silly optimist that has blinders on...

lol, of course Bio lied............

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Do you feel lied to, by Bioware/EA over SWTOR in some manner?

if so, what you feel was a lie told by them regarding SWTOR?

At this point don't care at all.

I just hope they're going to start  getting a clue and start fixing the game starting with rolling back Commando nerfs fomr 1.4 and moving away from StunWars in PvP which has gotten worse lately.

Seeing how even this part of the forum is dead on MMORPG.com side is depressing.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Originally posted by Draron
    Originally posted by Beyorn

Found It!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsstVnVTRyU

Mr. Ohlen talks about it at about 1:18.  i was hoping at the time this would be something other than raids/groups fighting bosses but I realize now how naive I was ;(.

Thats' the quote right there,

"One of the problem of other MMO combats is umm you also have scenarios where you have multiple heroes beating on a single enemy.  And that just isn't very heroic."

Lovely, is this content raid patch 1.6 then?  Face it, by Ohlen's own definition all raid content to date wasn't very heroic.

The SWTOR leader (who hasn't been fired or asked to leave) has spoken!

Did you listen to the next few seconds? Don't wanna get caught with egg on your face.

"What is heroic is a hero facing unbeatable odds against multiple enemies."

They made most trash mob encounters against multiple enemies. 

I personally like the groups of mobs solo but i was hoping for something different group wise.  That is what I thought he ment anyway the first time I heard it.  I was REALLY hoping raiding would die in a horrible fire!! 

I'm kidding of course but I'm so sick of what devs insist end game should be.  i would like to see someone do something new.  Granted I have no idea what that something would be but I can hope =D.

And before I'm butchered I know there is alot of people that like raiding, I have just got tired of it over the last 10+ years. 

No raiders were hurt during the creation of this post.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Found It!

Mr. Ohlen talks about it at about 1:18.  i was hoping at the time this would be something other than raids/groups fighting bosses but I realize now how naive I was ;(.

"One of the problem of other MMO combats is umm you also have scenarios where you have multiple heroes beating on a single enemy.  And that just isn't very heroic."

Lovely, is this content raid patch 1.6 then?  Face it, by Ohlen's own definition all raid content to date wasn't very heroic.

Did you listen to the next few seconds? Don't wanna get caught with egg on your face.

OMG... SWTOR is the biggest LIE EVER. There are single mobs in SWTOR and Ohlen said that there will be only super duper unbeatable crazy bastards arse kicking mobs challenging players.... This game needs to die!!!!!!!! OMG please somebody kill this game!!!! I can't take it anymore!!!!!!!

No matter that majority of mobs in SWTOR are multiple encounders - there are some single!!! What a LIE!!!!!

Grow up guys. Some of you are really borderline obseesive. What is it in this game that brings so much raw hatred is beyond me. No wonder that this world is on brink of destruction.

Spread the love guys instead of hate. At least a little bit of it.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    From what I hear, Bioware just didn't listen to their testers and went with a more single player design rather than MMO.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

I would certainly call it lieing when they didn't deliver on much of what they promised, or if you want to be picky, they under-delivered.

I really wanted to experience the large scale, open world PvP. Hmm, it could hardly cope with Huttball.

If you enjoy cut-scenes, this is the game for you. Such a shame that other MMO's do EVERYTHING ELSE BETTER.

Buying SWTOR was the biggest mistake I made in 30 years of gaming.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
      from everything I read and from playing beta, NO I do not feel lied to,
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Seven that is a good screenshot.  All the robes I could find looked silly ;P.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Found It!

OMG... SWTOR is the biggest LIE EVER. There are single mobs in SWTOR and Ohlen said that there will be only super duper unbeatable crazy bastards arse kicking mobs challenging players.... This game needs to die!!!!!!!! OMG please somebody kill this game!!!! I can't take it anymore!!!!!!!

No matter that majority of mobs in SWTOR are multiple encounders - there are some single!!! What a LIE!!!!!

Grow up guys. Some of you are really borderline obseesive. What is it in this game that brings so much raw hatred is beyond me. No wonder that this world is on brink of destruction.

We ask you to grow up. Why? Because details in this very thread indicate it's not just about the number of mobs to make an experience "epic".  It was multiple issues.  Read the remarks on the first page and comment on them.

It wasn't just 2,3 or even 10 things that killed this game .. it was many more. (anyone have a cite to the 1000 paper cuts link?)

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

No, I don't feel lied to.

One forum of hobbiest / low-budget Indie devs had a long thread about SWTOR before release.  General opinion at the time was 1. Ultra-large budget + 2. Bioware = Amazing MMORPG.  Shame it didn't work out that way.

The biggest miscalculation, if any, was expected player response.  I think when the flipped the switch that openend the game, they still thought they had a winner on their hands.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Found It!

We ask you to grow up. Why? Because details in this very thread indicate it's not just about the number of mobs to make an experience "epic".  It was multiple issues.  Read the remarks on the first page and comment on them.

It wasn't just 2,3 or even 10 things that killed this game .. it was many more. (anyone have a cite to the 1000 paper cuts link?)

Don't call something dead until it's pronounced dead.

[mod edit]

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

They said they had good open world pvp on llum, yes I feel lied to with that statement. It is misleading

:(

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

I don't feel lied to at all.  I think there were things they indicated would be in by launch that didn't make it, but I don't think it was intentional lieing, rather they made a mistake on how fast dev would go. 

That being said, the game was really a lot of what I expected it to be, there were just a few things about it that I didn't care for and thats why I left. 

But in no way do I feel lied to by the SWTOR team.   ME3, however, is another matter entirely.

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

Found It!

PS. We ask you to grow up? Are you implying that there is more than one of you in your body?

Killed =/= Dead, sweetie.  Keep trying :-)

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

English is a weird language, sometimes when people state such a word they aren't always literally talking it is dead. Depends on how you translate it, it can also be opinionated(idc if thats a word or not)

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

[mod edit] 

What BioWare once was, before EA. Good example.  EA now owns BioWare so there is not much to dispute there.

To your example:

BioWare is dead, but SWTOR is still kicking for it's life :-)  EA is strangling it, so .. they stuggle .. in a feat of defiance to the law, EA injects SWTOR with something .. Oh no, SWTOR seems sluggish now, they try to swing .. and miss! Oh no EA brings out the axe ..  This will hurt! EA deals a decisive blow! .. SWTOR is out, wow what violence we see on the internet :(

Wait wasn't SWTOR a source of income for EA? oops .. Tiger Woods, your next :-)

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

No, I dont feel lied to, not at all.

I think SWToR is a good game. But it has it problems.

I think its class story and quest stories are top notch. And as much as I like GW2 I dont even bother to read the DE quest back story.

In SWToR I was always looking forward to each new quest cut scene. They dont replay that well the second time thru on the same class, but they still offered a little variation for the other classes, and races, and gender.

But I think Togrim said it best in one of his vids. Bioware spent 80%-90% of its effort and money on story and voice acting and not enough on gameplay. And he is correct, SWToR's story is second to none. But sadly that cant carry the other 10%-20% of the "neglected" game.

The rail-space combat was/is horrid. Its not even Star Wars-ish. It would have been better off left out of the game and added later as an expansion, so that it could be done properly.

The idea of personal space ships are great. Except that the arnt personal. There is no, as in zero, customization to a person ship. Hell, most of the ship had zero interaction to it, cant sit, cant sleep and so on. The companions are all static, they never move, never sleep, never talk to each other, never eat. And that has always been a "fail" in Bioware games. And Im not saying that because of GW2. I always felt it really wouldnt be that hard to code just some simple pathing. And its not, they do it all the time on the planets.

I could go on, but there is no need.

Its not a bad game, not by a long shot. But it could have been so much better.

With just a little more attention to other aspects of gameplay and "world", and some real effort done to the space part (this includes starships) of the game it may have kept more people intrested longer.

I still have hope for it. I'm still subbed even though I havent logged-in in over two months. I still want to see it succeed and have no problem giving them $15 a month to do it.

But I truely want to see some effort on their part, otherwise Im canceling and probably not coming back. And if I do come back it will only be in little spurts. Maybe two months here, maybe three there, but never an unbroken sub once they lose my loyalty.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Content updates?  OK if thats not enought, how about fast content updates.  What about free updates?  "Makeb" might not be free..

James Ohlen
    <snip>

Thanks Karteli for writing this up, i didn't feel like looking up most of the LIES they did do.
    (It's not subjective it's a fact those are lies).

While a player may can give slack to statements concerning future updates, because sometimes things just change and timelines can't be hold, swtor is the first and hopefull last mmo who tries to cover up and claim the opposite, instead of fixing or admiting the issue.

The whole engine Texture atlas dilema is the most ridiculous bullshit i've ever personally had the honor to expirience. You may not have the ressources to resolve the engine issue (till today because the "high" texture mapping introduced with 1.2 isn't still "high") but outright lie and claim it was never intended despite the evidence? Despite continuing to release screenshots from working internal builds..

yeah...that's something you don't see everyday.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

No.

I don't feel lied to.

I bought the game after reading the impressions of a lot of people who played in beta.  I did so because whether the game was bad or not, I wanted to experience it myself. I'm glad I did  because regardless of what you think about this game, it was a major release. Not only that, but I am interested in mmorpgs from the perspective of a player, a hobbyist, and also an academic. I buy a lot of games to try them out and see what makes them tick.

I quit playing SWTOR for substantially the same reasons people cited in their negative reviews of the game. I voluntarily bought the game knowing all of that in advance. I didn't feel deceived. 

However, had I bought the CE, I might feel disgruntled.

I do have some negative feelings toward the title, but these are quite similar to the views others have stated on these forums way more times than necessary. The main point for me is the loss of SWG which I did play for a short time at the end of its life. I had more fun in that game than I had in SWTOR and feel disappointed that we lost SWG because of SWTOR. That's all.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Cleaned up a derail. Please don't argue semantics at the cost of taking over the thread. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

No, it was exactly what I was expecting with the exception that it wasn't, in the end, as fun as I would have liked. Not to say it wasn't fun, just not as much as I would have liked.

I will go back when it goes F2P to finish my stories.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

The only thing I can think of is the group of players not beating on 1 mob.  They did go back on this statement.

Otherwise the game was exactly like I thought it would be.  In fact, I recently re-subbed to play again.  Still a fun game, just not long lasting.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!