Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you feel lied to, by Bioware/EA over SWTOR in some manner?

Comments

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by halflife25

Why are you jumping on people who think they were not lied to? you really need to dial back a little bro. No need to harass people for giving their opinion.

Reading this post renews my faith in these forums. Grats to you.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Ahnog
    No

Or maybe, being a person who played bioware games before, he feels the game is what they said it would be.

Oh sure, they messed up on the pvp planet but the game plays like a bioware game with traditional mmo trappings. Which, is what they said it would be.

If you can point me toward a claim where they stated dynamic worlds or everyone gets to have their own captial ship then I would concede your point.

Now, are you arguing that they lied or that they overestimated what their game design was going to do?

Because your reaction suggests the former.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by Vladamyre
    No I don't feel that I was lied to. I do feel that I was cheated on the price of the game. It wasn't worth $5.00.

You would think that people don't buy cat in the bag. Whenever I buy something (anything) I first check multiple sources/reviews to find out if I actually want it. In case of games I got burned on AoC, Aion and Rift, but I do not complain. It was my choice to get ithese games and I sucked it up. My decision and consequences are mine too. It is called personal responsibility.

Content updates?  OK if thats not enought, how about fast content updates.  What about free updates?  "Makeb" might not be free..

James Ohlen

January 23, 2012

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/23/the-challenge-of-creating-star-wars-the-old-republic

The quality, the polish has to be very, very high, and then you need to have a plan to continue to deliver free content on a regular basis.

The graphics deatil in the trailer's was amazing, then when the game released, suddenly the detail of the trailers were an accident, not representive of the actual game?

By proclaiming themselves as a competitor to WoW, this implied longevity in a game that would replace WoW (I don't play WoW anymore anyways).  MMORPG's nowadays just stink :(

Rated Battlegrounds coming in 1.2.  Nope just kidding, they will be Coming Soon though, even though we just cancelled it a day before the big patch.  If you resubscribed because of this, sorry, no refunds!  "We value PVP in our game".  Later, let us put mechanisms for Rated groups to queue against Pugs, while they wait, so they can stomp them.

GM tickets, "Thank you, this will be looked into".  Really?

SGRA?  Super Secret Space Project?

We are actively working to optimize the SWTOR graphics engine, still ongoing.

EA - Aug 27, 2012:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5091079#post5091079

Hey all, I just wanted to pop in and say we are actively working on various optimizations (both server and client) and will continue to do so. It's extremely important for us to continually make improvements to our technology so we can have users across a variety of system specs and support large living worlds for those users to craft their virtual lives.

We want fights to feel heroic, so you wont have a dozen people whacking away at one mob (paraphrased).

The Collectors Edition.  WOW what a betrayal.  Worth $150, but then worth $20 at Best Buy / Kmart and others as retailers dump this title, because it is going F2P.

SWTOR won't go F2P.

Greg Zeschuk

Dec 28th 2011

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/28/bioware-docs-defend-subscription-model-tease-free-to-play-itera/

"The free-to-play people can't invest to the level we can invest, and can't create something of the size and scale of something we can create."

Just some off the top of my head.

As far as I know or  have evidence of, they believed those things when they stated them, therefore, I don't feel lied to as a lie has premeditation.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Nope. I got exactly what I was expecting and enjoyed every moment that I was in game back when I played it. Couldn't have been happier with that purchase :)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    No I don't feel that I was lied to. I do feel that I was cheated on the price of the game. It wasn't worth $5.00.

You would think that people don't buy cat in the bag. Whenever I buy something (anything) I first check multiple sources/reviews to find out if I actually want it. In case of games I got burned on AoC, Aion and Rift, but I do not complain. It was my choice to get ithese games and I sucked it up. My decision and consequences are mine too. It is called personal responsibility.

Content updates?  OK if thats not enought, how about fast content updates.  What about free updates?  "Makeb" might not be free..

James Ohlen

January 23, 2012

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/23/the-challenge-of-creating-star-wars-the-old-republic

The quality, the polish has to be very, very high, and then you need to have a plan to continue to deliver free content on a regular basis.

The graphics deatil in the trailer's was amazing, then when the game released, suddenly the detail of the trailers were an accident, not representive of the actual game?

By proclaiming themselves as a competitor to WoW, this implied longevity in a game that would replace WoW (I don't play WoW anymore anyways).  MMORPG's nowadays just stink :(

Rated Battlegrounds coming in 1.2.  Nope just kidding, they will be Coming Soon though, even though we just cancelled it a day before the big patch.  If you resubscribed because of this, sorry, no refunds!  "We value PVP in our game".  Later, let us put mechanisms for Rated groups to queue against Pugs, while they wait, so they can stomp them.

EA - Aug 27, 2012:

Hey all, I just wanted to pop in and say we are actively working on various optimizations (both server and client) and will continue to do so. It's extremely important for us to continually make improvements to our technology so we can have users across a variety of system specs and support large living worlds for those users to craft their virtual lives.

We want fights to feel heroic, so you wont have a dozen people whacking away at one mob (paraphrased).

The Collectors Edition.  WOW what a betrayal.  Worth $150, but then worth $20 at Best Buy / Kmart and others as retailers dump this title, because it is going F2P.

SWTOR won't go F2P.

Greg Zeschuk

Dec 28th 2011

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/28/bioware-docs-defend-subscription-model-tease-free-to-play-itera/

"The free-to-play people can't invest to the level we can invest, and can't create something of the size and scale of something we can create."

As far as I know or  have evidence of, they believed those things when they stated them, therefore, I don't feel lied to as a lie has premeditation.

Then the game is just stinky now for no apparent reason.  Lets not look at the past.  Ignore all the statements from past EA/BioWAre employees, and lets just focus on the present.

WE AS SW FANS CAN'T POSSIBLY FANTHAM WHY THIS GAME ISN'T DOING WELL? WTF??

better?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

James Ohlen

January 23, 2012

EA - Aug 27, 2012:

SWTOR won't go F2P.

Greg Zeschuk

Dec 28th 2011

Then the game is just stinky now for no apparent reason.  Lets not look at the past.  Ignore all the statements from past EA/BioWAre employees, and lets just focus on the present.

WE AS SW FANS CAN'T POSSIBLE FANTHAM WHY THIS GAME ISN'T DOING WELL? WTF??

better?

Not really, because I have no idea why you don't like the game.  "Stinky" isn't a reason.  Look at the past all you want, it tells you how you got to the present, but that doesn't make anything you quoted a lie.  If Bioware made a bad design choice, I doubt they were sitting around in a room saying "hmmm.  how can we really piss people off and ruin our reputation?"  Again, you may believe they intentionally misled you, but I don't believe that.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    nope. had  fun and was exactly what i expected when i played.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Lie?  No, maybe a disconnect on what worlds opening up and having an explorable, hybridish sandbox feel to them means.  One of the lead devs said something that, that is a paraphrase of...That and a lot of the beta people saying the worlds open up later, which by level 30ish you figure out isn't really gonna happen.

I didn't have much hopes for the game to begin with, but knew people playing....All in all, I got my money worth....Played the free month, so got a month of play for $60 bucks or whatever...I can drop $60 in a day on something frivilous.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    No. They did just like many other companies do to expand upon hype and stretch the truth. Sure, you can say thats being lied to, but every single MMo out there has done just that then so pointing figures at SWTOR would be silly. 

James Ohlen

January 23, 2012

EA - Aug 27, 2012:

SWTOR won't go F2P.

Greg Zeschuk

Dec 28th 2011

better?

Not really, because I have no idea why you don't like the game.  "Stinky" isn't a reason.  Look at the past all you want, it tells you how you got to the present, but that doesn't make anything you quoted a lie.  If Bioware made a bad design choice, I doubt they were sitting around in a room saying "hmmm.  how can we really piss people off and ruin our reputation?"  Again, you may believe they intentionally misled you, but I don't believe that.

Stinky is just a descriptor.  Well when stuff gets said, and it doesn't come to pass, I call it a lie.  Either the rules changes or it was ignored (in which you may call it legit, I call it still a lie).

BioWare doesn't exist anymore (http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-buying-bioware-pandemic-for-860m-6180818).  Sold in 2007.  Reputation was out the door at that point; there was no reputation.  Just do your job for EA and get paid.

EA & it's BioWare studio made plenty of lies, don't fool youtself.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    I feel a little lied to.  The one that really sticks in my mind is about how unheroic it was for a group of players to beat on one mob.  Well you can see how far that went ;(.  I wish I could find the video he said that in.  My search-fu is rusty.
    Originally posted by Xthos

Lie?  No, maybe a disconnect on what worlds opening up and having an explorable, hybridish sandbox feel to them means.  One of the lead devs said something that, that is a paraphrase of...That and a lot of the beta people saying the worlds open up later, which by level 30ish you figure out isn't really gonna happen.

I didn't have much hopes for the game to begin with, but knew people playing....All in all, I got my money worth....Played the free month, so got a month of play for $60 bucks or whatever...I can drop $60 in a day on something frivilous.

I followed the game pretty closely from about a year out til launch, and I don't really remember them saying anything about a hybridish sandbox feel, or even implying that.  The only thing I would even think of is the exploring aspect with those cubes or whatever they were called, but they were there to find, so I don't think that was a lie.  But if they did say something about it even approaching a hybrid sandboxish feel, that would be a whopper of a lie, and I agree that anyone who said the game world "opened up" after 30 was stretching the truth to the point of breaking.  

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Beyorn
    I feel a little lied to.  The one that really sticks in my mind is about how unheroic it was for a group of players to beat on one mob.  Well you can see how far that went ;(.  I wish I could find the video he said that in.  My search-fu is rusty.

Something heroic to one person might be unheroic to other. It's a matter of perception anyway.

Edit. but I read something about what you said. I will try to find it. But really if we consider these kind of things lies... hmmm everything is a lie then...

Oh well Peace is a lie :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Do you feel lied to, by Bioware/EA over SWTOR in some manner?

if so, what you feel was a lie told by them regarding SWTOR?

dude, get counseling or get over it.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Yes. I was told there was going to be meaningful world pvp (the only reason I really bought it)... Yea that turned out to be false. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

Found It!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsstVnVTRyU

Mr. Ohlen talks about it at about 1:18.  i was hoping at the time this would be something other than raids/groups fighting bosses but I realize now how naive I was ;(.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Having beta weekend and tons of info and video and gameplay info before release etc etc

I've been able to make up my mind clearly not to buy it and if anyone is buying this game due to hype and without proper research then i don't think there's anyone to blame. Frankly i don't blame the PR/marketing for hyping this game up as it's their job and it's call advertising. But over the top fan boy of bioware that believe bioware could do no wrong is what strike me as disappointing. Luckily most mmo vet here know better ^^

James Ohlen

January 23, 2012

EA - Aug 27, 2012:

SWTOR won't go F2P.

Greg Zeschuk

Dec 28th 2011

better?

Stinky is just a descriptor.  Well when stuff gets said, and it doesn't come to pass, I call it a lie.  Either the rules changes or it was ignored (in which you may call it legit, I call it still a lie).

BioWare doesn't exist anymore (http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-buying-bioware-pandemic-for-860m-6180818).  Sold in 2007.  Reputation was out the door at that point; there was no reputation.  Just do your job for EA and get paid.

Without intent, there is no lie.  I don't really know what else to say.  As far as the reputation part that is a separate issue.  I could replace the line about reputation with: I doubt they were sitting around in a room saying "hmmm.  how can we really piss people off and make them not want to subscribe?"

It doesn't really matter though as you believe they lied to you and I really have no vested interest in trying to change your mind on that.  So we have reached a point in the discussion where there really is no reason to continue.  We will both just keep saying the same things over and over again in new ways using different words.  So, I will bow out and do the stuff I have been avoiding through forum discussion procrastination.

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

Hmmn, not  really "lied to", I just couldn't get past the fact of being unable to really explore,and the environments really werent  interactive enough for me. I loved it at first and it does have some features I really liked, though not the graphics,lol,so I had to move on.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

James Ohlen

January 23, 2012

EA - Aug 27, 2012:

SWTOR won't go F2P.

Greg Zeschuk

Dec 28th 2011

better?

Without intent, there is no lie.  I don't really know what else to say.  As far as the reputation part that is a separate issue.  I could replace the line about reputation with: I doubt they were sitting around in a room saying "hmmm.  how can we really piss people off and make them not want to subscribe?"

It doesn't really matter though as you believe they lied to you and I really have no vested interest in trying to change your mind on that.  So we have reached a point in the discussion where there really is no reason to continue.  We will both just keep saying the same things over and over again in new ways using different words.  So, I will bow out and do the stuff I have been avoiding through forum discussion procrastination.

Agreed..was  going to post a similar response but yours is just a good.

Found It!

Mr. Ohlen talks about it at about 1:18.  i was hoping at the time this would be something other than raids/groups fighting bosses but I realize now how naive I was ;(.

Thats' the quote right there,

"One of the problem of other MMO combats is umm you also have scenarios where you have multiple heroes beating on a single enemy.  And that just isn't very heroic."

Lovely, is this content raid patch 1.6 then?  Face it, by Ohlen's own definition all raid content to date wasn't very heroic.

The SWTOR leader (who hasn't been fired or asked to leave) has spoken!

Watched the video and he says about 10 seconds later that "what is heroic is a hero facing unbeatable odds against multiple enemies."  So they replaced pulling one mob with you fighting the infamous "pack of three."  Which didn't feel very heroic either, but that is my opinion so I can't say he lied to me as I know others feel differently.  

Okay, I really gotta get out of here and go grade some papers.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Nope, pretty much everything they said prior to launch indicated this would be a theme park MMO with a heavy emphasis on prescripted storyline plot.

Delivered exactly what they said they would, WOW in Space. image

I was surprised about the lack of a decent space game, but then again, that's not really what Bioware's known for so perhaps I shouldn't have been.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

If anyone feels lied to it is because they did not pay attention.

The space combat was exactly what they said.

The story line and linear game play was exactly what they said.

They told us exactly what it would be.  Some people were just to decadent to listen and have no one to blame but themselves. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Found It!

Thats' the quote right there,

"One of the problem of other MMO combats is umm you also have scenarios where you have multiple heroes beating on a single enemy.  And that just isn't very heroic."

Lovely, is this content raid patch 1.6 then?  Face it, by Ohlen's own definition all raid content to date wasn't very heroic.

The SWTOR leader (who hasn't been fired or asked to leave) has spoken!

Did you listen to the next few seconds? Don't wanna get caught with egg on your face.

"What is heroic is a hero facing unbeatable odds against multiple enemies."

They made most trash mob encounters against multiple enemies.