Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Citadel of Sorcery: Opening the Door to the Citadel

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Citadel of Sorcery is one of those games that you may not yet have heard much about. We're about to cure you of that with our exclusive interview with Phil Blood, CEO of MMO Magic. Keep reading and then let us know what you think in the comments.

MMORPG.com: Most people would say Indie MMOs are impossible to make. What would you say to those Debbie Downers?

Phil Blood: That one is easy to answer; we have already gotten the game world running.  All we need now is to add more Art, Writing and Level Design content using the existing tools.  All the major risks are completed.  However, they are not incorrect is saying that this is (nearly) impossible to do.  We knew that when we set out to make the impossible.  It took millions of dollars personally invested by the team, you don’t see that often.   These same people had to be so committed that they would work for eight years, without pay, to get us to this point, another nearly impossible task.  The support of our families has been the strength of this team, allowing us to pursue an impossible dream and make it real.  This is a game that we were told could not be made, we did it anyway.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Citadel of Sorcery: Opening the Door to the Citadel.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    This game has been on the mmorpg.com gameslist for as long as I was lurking before I registerd all official like. I really did belive it was never going to happen. Have to say it's looking intresting, well looks good on paper after reading this.  Ok, I'm going to colour myself intrigued about it from now on.
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Sounds too good to be true. I sincerely hope they manage to pull this off! Will definitely be watching! Sounds very much like the dream game I'd love to be playing!
  • TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339
    definatley the injection the mmo market needs! will be watching and keeping my eye on this one as well.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Cool! New CoS news. They've been nose down in work and kinda off the grid lately. Good to read that things are still on track and moving forward.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    That's a lot of promises. If they can deliver, it sounds amazing. Good luck guys.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012

I was wondering what happened to this game. Good to see it's still being developed.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • adeladel Member UncommonPosts: 24

I have been following the game since thier first post on this site and i am so excited to see it getting close to the Alpha stage. i highly recomend that if you have not already that you check out thir redesigned webpage and facebook page.

The facebook page is great because you get a synopsis on the time line of the development process which many of us have been following for a long time.

I am so ready to take my place as a Fallen Hero!

• PellagrenPellagren Member Posts: 32
    Very good read!  Im glad the gaming press is getting a look at the concept.  They sure have me excited again in this genre which I consider stale...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Thanks for the enlightening report, I've been following this game for some time, but Jatar's been far more stingy in sharing detailed info like we've been reading in the past month.

I'm very hopeful for this title, might be one of the few development houses trying to delivery something truely different and I'm hoping for the best.

Hey, they wouldn't even listen to me when I insisted the game needed interdependency such as forced grouping, shows you they're pretty smart folks eh? image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KrellenKrellen Member Posts: 84
    Seems way too ambitious to ever make it live.  I hope I am wrong.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

wow this could be revolutionary, where is the kickstarter link!

• adeladel Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

wow this could be revolutionary, where is the kickstarter link!

It has not launched yet they are waiting on final approval from kickstarter

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Thanks for the enlightening report, I've been following this game for some time, but Jatar's been far more stingy in sharing detailed info like we've been reading in the past month.

I'm very hopeful for this title, might be one of the few development houses trying to delivery something truely different and I'm hoping for the best.

Hey, they wouldn't even listen to me when I insisted the game needed interdependency such as forced grouping, shows you they're pretty smart folks eh? image

Not too stingy , I was upto 80 pages of quotes from the developers lots of information on the Official Forumns.

Good to see this progressing.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Originally posted by Isane
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Not too stingy , I was upto 80 pages of quotes from the developers lots of information on the Official Forumns.

Good to see this progressing.

Yeah, but this is my home.... I look for info here, official forums aren't my style.   image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Been a long, long time, nice to hear about this game again. Was beginning to think it was a goner.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Nice to see that these guys are still around and kickin! By the way, does this count as necroing because this game is so old? I keed! I keed! image

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

It looks like thier Kickstarter is up:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mmomagic/citadel-of-sorcery-mmorpg

Maybe add it to the article?

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Been following this game for awhile now, devs are really passionate and seem to be doing some great innovative things. Hopefully the execution, which most indies get wrong, is as good as their ideas. 
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    very close to going for the $250 kickstarter.  Everything "sounds" amazing.  
  • amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I'm pleased to see this game taking shape and approaching alpha! It might sound too good to be true to some, but that's actually what will make it genre changing when it's released! Goodbye 10 rats! Goodbye grind! It's about time a game is released that is true entertainment rather than a second job! Good luck with the kickstarter project.
  • IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by Myrdynn
    very close to going for the $250 kickstarter.  Everything "sounds" amazing.  

The Lead Designer has a number of books published and the "Cathexis" series so I am led to believe uses a Magic System in some ways similar to that used in the game.

http://www.philipblood.com , nice set of books may give a nice feel of the type of storyline in e the Characters Quest. Worth a look at the Books and the kickstarter.

• EpuntheSmallEpuntheSmall Member Posts: 2
    I didn't realize how long theyve been working on this.  Just saw on their FB that it started in 2004?  Thats a long time to be developing a game isnt it?  https://www.facebook.com/CitadelofSorcery
  • DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

They have an interesting timeline of progress showing their work over the years on their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/CitadelofSorcery

Though I've been lurking on their forums since they announced it on MMORPG.com and the devs have been posting quite a bit and forth coming with info.  Their kickstarter page has tons of stuff about the game and links at the bottom to even more info.

• senadinsenadin Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Too good to be true?.... Seems rather VERY ambitious....

• JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104

Most of us have been pining for our MMORPG genre to get back to its roots: for some developer to listen to what we really wanted and to attempt to make it. CoS is the best attempt I have seen thus far. It sounds like it has everything we have been asking for including a developer that plays games and listens to its user base. 

It's time to support CoS and developers that are trying to make better games for us. Don't let our genre continue to fade in to repetative theme parks we get tired of in a month or two. Show the developers we are willing to fund our hopes. Support their Kickstarter!