Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: The Future of Tyria

2»

Comments

• BruceLeegladBruceLeeglad Member UncommonPosts: 23
    /like

BruceLeeglad
    Retired in too many games :D

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by Valentina
    I want to play a quaggan...or a skritt...please :X

I'd love to play a skritt too . Would be cool to go on quests for shineys .

• sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by latentPotential
    This neither a unique nor original approach. CCP has been using the scrum development approach for years and many studios do it besides.

And your point is?

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

They can PR all day long about how many teams they have...until now lots of players are still waiting for them to actually get something meaningful done about the game.

Anet still can't properly restore characters/accounts, some classes only halfway working, guilds are about meaningless, no bot detection in place (instead they DR regular players left and right), characters still skating, ability delay, little to zero communication with the community (and that is going via 3rd party sites like facebook) etc etc.

So yes, it's great that they have like 10 teams set up....but when is any of them actually starting to get stuff done? Or does every team consist of 3 guys only?

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    This article didn't really reveal anything they're working on. I was expecting specifics when reading this article. It sounds like ANet is doing nothing more than any other company does, except of course, that they aren't charing a sub fee to do it. So that's a bonus.
  • enntenseenntense Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I don't know if Arena net can ever undo what they have done in the game.  They made crafted goods awesomely powerful.  The also made crafting very accessable and easy, leading to almost everyone doing it.  This led to extremely LOW prices on crafted goods.  This led to players being able to totally gear themselves in great gear in a very short time.  All sounds pretty good so far?  Here's the bad spin.  The crafted gear is better than pvp or dungeon gear.  Uh-oh.  So besides the hanging out factor theres no reward to grinding dungeons or pvp .  Bummer.  For some players this wont matter.  For some, they will be left standing around worndering why there's nothing to do to better their character.  The other bummer for me personally, is when you do dungeons or special events and kill something, what do you get?  The same gear any armor or weaponsmith can make.  That's not really much of a reward.  The only venue for stepping up your gear?  Ledgendarys.  Which evidently are horrifically hard to make (weapons) and have a max damage of 1111, which is a whopping 11 more than the 1100 you see on exotics.  I can see that Arena might be catering to a more casual user base, but everyone will be 80 eventually, and left wondering "now what"?
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by Msenge
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    Will these holidays be western civ earth holidays copied into a totally different universe, or will they be Tyria Lore holidays? I prefer the latter.

Well kinda little of both...at least gauging by the holidays in GW1.  The major holidays are usually based around the same times as real world holidays and typically reflect some aspects of those real holidays in game.  However, these in game holidays usually have some significant in-game lore to give the in-game holidays their own flair.

For example, the 1st GW2 holiday will be Mad King's Day which is meant to reflect the real world holiday of Halloween.  It's based around the return of an powerful human spirit (who when living was one of the kings of Kryta) to Tyria from his quasai prison in the Mad Realm (a part of the Underworld).  It'll most likely have special decorations in some of the main cities (most likely Lions Arch and maybe Divinity's Reach), sweets, costumes, and mini games.  Then you've got Wintersday that is held around the time of our real world winter holiday's occur.  This one might not return in much the way it did in GW1 because it was strongly based on the human gods (mostly around Grenth wanting the world to stay frozen longer and Dwayna wanting sring to return so that Tyria could be reborn).  Another holiday is Canthan New Year which is held around the real world chinese new year and celebrates the coming of the celestials which are celestial animals based on the chinese zodiac.

So long as its not Christmas in Tyria.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Lol enntense the fact that guild wars 2 is not about the gearing was kinda debated to death months ago.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• CassSmithCassSmith Member Posts: 17
    A PvE content patch would be nice, rather than just balancing ..... Sleeping Quagans and Distracted Skritt don't help with this.
  • enntenseenntense Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Yeah I hear ya Blade.  Best leveling MMO I have ever played.  Being 80?...Hanging out for a bit to see.