Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA must be getting desperate

erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I just got in from the grocery store and found this in my inbox

Game Update 1.4: Terror From Beyond is Now Live!

Greetings idiotplayer:

Rejoin now to check out Game Update 1.4: Terror from Beyond and the brand new game features including the Dread Guard gear set and much more!

• Claim Your Rewards – Renewing your subscription now will qualify you to receive a grant of Cartel Coins* (good for purchase of in-game items) at the launch of the Free-to-Play option this Fall.
  • New Challenges to Face – New Operation: Terror from Beyond is the most challenging and rewarding Operation to date. Get ready to face one of the largest and most dangerous enemies ever unleashed in The Old Republic. Group up and find out if you can save the galaxy!
  • Expanded Group Finder Features – Join a group for an Operation or Flashpoint and return to your previous location when you’ve completed the mission.
  • Enhanced Customization Options – Show your moods with the new emote modifiers and dress your Companions for success with the new Companion Unify Color option.

Thus must think I am a special kind of stupid to fall for that.  Hey we will give you carell coins, um well according to the fact that is supposed to happen anyways if you ever had a sub, now you have to have your sub active when it goes free to play to get them.

I wish there was a way to reply to that message from EA, but I will say it here. Sorry EA but I am in the least bit not interested.

Comments

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

I didn't even read my copy, I saw the subject line and deleted it right away.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Greetings idiotplayer:

Rejoin now to check out Game Update 1.4: Terror from Beyond and the brand new game features including the Dread Guard gear set and much more!

• Claim Your Rewards – Renewing your subscription now will qualify you to receive a grant of Cartel Coins* (good for purchase of in-game items) at the launch of the Free-to-Play option this Fall.
    • New Challenges to Face – New Operation: Terror from Beyond is the most challenging and rewarding Operation to date. Get ready to face one of the largest and most dangerous enemies ever unleashed in The Old Republic. Group up and find out if you can save the galaxy!
    • Expanded Group Finder Features – Join a group for an Operation or Flashpoint and return to your previous location when you’ve completed the mission.
    • Enhanced Customization Options – Show your moods with the new emote modifiers and dress your Companions for success with the new Companion Unify Color option.

Thus must think I am a special kind of stupid to fall for that.  Hey we will give you carell coins, um well according to the fact that is supposed to happen anyways if you ever had a sub, now you have to have your sub active when it goes free to play to get them.

I wish there was a way to reply to that message from EA, but I will say it here. Sorry EA but I am in the least bit not interested.

..yes it says 150 cartel coins for every paid month.......you just had to click on the "learn more" in that email and navigate to the FTP FAQ. Sorry if you're no longer interested in the game, just want people to have the correct information.

http://www.swtor.com/free

Just so everyone has that information

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    I get these e-mails from all kinds of MMOs really, this is nothing new.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by strangepower

I did the same after laughing.

• JobeArthurJobeArthur Member UncommonPosts: 41

Well tbh I was thinking of giving it one more month before FTP hit so i could finish the IA story in peace, as I did like that aspect of the game, but after reading the forums about how buggy the game has been with 1.4 i decided to try the free account thing before I could find it in myself giving EA/Bioware any money at all.

Played a new Sorc and Guardian for a bit getting them both off the starter worlds Korriban, and Tython. 

Seems thats they have indeed improved on performance in fleet, and planets, but its really glitchy and had some white screen crash issues that i never had before, user interface stuck on screen during loading screens, random massive drops in FPS and character stuck running with some camera oddities that i can't put my finger on but something is off.

Overall not tempted to ever go back, and as a huge SW fan it bums me out that I can say without a doubt that I'm permanently done with the game and would like to see it all just dissapear like it never happened, and hope LA would have that maybe the third time is the charm outlook  but i doubt that will ever happen. Ill just watch the story parts on You Tube i suppose and wait for 1313.

TY Bioware/EA for robbing us Star Wars fans from a game that the IP and fans deserves to have... GL with your FTP scam A-Holes.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by revy66
    I get these e-mails from all kinds of MMOs really, this is nothing new.

very true.. i get these from most MMOs i have stopped subscribing to

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by strangepower

same here...

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by JobeArthur

Well tbh I was thinking of giving it one more month before FTP hit so i could finish the IA story in peace, as I did like that aspect of the game, but after reading the forums about how buggy the game has been with 1.4 i decided to try the free account thing before I could find it in myself giving EA/Bioware any money at all.

Played a new Sorc and Guardian for a bit getting them both off the starter worlds Korriban, and Tython. 

Seems thats they have indeed improved on performance in fleet, and planets, but its really glitchy and had some white screen crash issues that i never had before, user interface stuck on screen during loading screens, random massive drops in FPS and character stuck running with some camera oddities that i can't put my finger on but something is off.

Overall not tempted to ever go back, and as a huge SW fan it bums me out that I can say without a doubt that I'm permanently done with the game and would like to see it all just dissapear like it never happened, and hope LA would have that maybe the third time is the charm outlook  but i doubt that will ever happen. Ill just watch the story parts on You Tube i suppose and wait for 1313.

TY Bioware/EA for robbing us Star Wars fans from a game that the IP and fans deserves to have... GL with your FTP scam A-Holes.

I just came back over a week ago and I have seen the UI stick on the screen during the loading screens and have read about the other bugs, guess I have been lucky not to run into any of them myself yet.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    O my god! It must be pure horror for you:( I can understand you and i will pray for you. First mail of that kind is always hard, i got some 1000000 mails from mmo companies. Look that one from desperate ANet ---

Enter the Black Lion Trading Company

Commanded by the charr merchant Evon Gnashblade, the Black Lion Trading Company has dominated the competition and become the ultimate trading machine in Tyria. With a player trading post, a gem store, and a currency exchange, you'll find what you need under the sign of the Black Lion!

The Black Lion Trading Company can be accessed from anywhere in the world by pressing the appropriate hotkey (default: O).
    . Ha! Now you can see what i have to survive from day to day
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

Greetings idiotplayer:

Except you have your facts incorrect. You must have an ACTIVE ACCOUNT when F2P launches to qualify for those Cartel Coins. That means you get nothing for PREVIOUS MONTHS nor for months going forward. So, if you do not have an active sub...you get nothing.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957
    Originally posted by JobeArthur

After seeing the Free versus Subscribers features FAQ I just didn't know if I wanted to cry or laugh.

I thought that after EverQuest 2 and Vanguard a Free 2 Play implementation couldn't be done any worse than SOE did with those games.

It seems EA managed to come up with an even worse implementation. /shrug

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

So have they actually fixed any of the problems with the game?

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Not really desperate - that will come later - but hugely optmistic of they expect many people to pay a months sub just to get 150 cartel coins. The alternative being to wait "a month" before facing the new challenges, trying out the expanded group finder and being underwhelmed by the enhanced customisation options.

When it goes F2P and they lose a % of subscribers - as they surely will - that is when they may become desperate; when the money coming in from F2P fails to replace the lost revenue from subs. Anyone say Zynga? But heh monthly subs are dead, F2P is the way to go ....still waiting for the WAR, DAoC and UO though ....  

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Nah, something like after it goes F2P in December or whatever an email saying COME PLAY OUR GAME for free*! This free* month is on us! That would be a dear idiotplayer desperation mail.
  • RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    @OP Let me get this straight...EA attempts to email advertise for people to play thier game and you think its desperation?  Many MMOs do this. I still get emails form Eve, Rifts, and even WOW to come back to play. Car companies, insurance, food, movies, etc all advertise to get you to buy thier products or services. Are they desperate too? I think maybe you wanna seem cool to a bunch of internet strangers and dis Swtor.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

While spamming email inboxes with resub mmo spam is not out of the ordinary, EA's main inticement is kind of annoying.

The "get your free cartel coins" is an amorphous lure since they still haven't announced what those cartel coins will buy, what the cost in cartel coins those unlisted items will be, or even how much a cartel coin itself will cost.

My memory is failing me, was LOTRO more forthcoming about its cash shop before deployment, because EA's handiling of the situation seems sketchy. (Especally when it seems they are withholding gear and content to stock the store.)

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

This post is proof that the MMORPG communitty is full of  the worst, most jaded, most idiotic people out there.  A simple email advertisement is picked apart, degraded, taken way out of context, held under a microscope, blown way out of proportion, and generates 100's of conspiracy/end of the world theories.

Any other product/company would do the same exact email and people who liked it would click on it and the people who dont would just delete it.  But no, not from a MMORPG company, oh heck no, this email must be the talk of the town now.

Give me a break people.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

wow is ea still holdin this alive? i thought theyd bled it dry by now n shut it down n offered yu guys a free month in uo or somefin like tht :).it sure has lasted longer thn i xpected but thn again i guess theyr contarctal bound n cant close it down yet

or perhaps they dun wanna piss george lucas off by killin this1 off to soon  :)

good idea just shoddily n sloppily handled

but thn again who knows? they avnt stated "lack of resourses" yet though

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid
    @OP Let me get this straight...EA attempts to email advertise for people to play thier game and you think its desperation?  Many MMOs do this. I still get emails form Eve, Rifts, and even WOW to come back to play. Car companies, insurance, food, movies, etc all advertise to get you to buy thier products or services. Are they desperate too? I think maybe you wanna seem cool to a bunch of internet strangers and dis Swtor.

^^ This exactly. I also got this mail. I get mails from Blizzard all the time about WOW, I get mails from all kind of games I ever played or even when I just signed up on their forums for a while.....

I stopped playing SWTOR quite a while ago but I won't join the all out bashing of EVERY little thing around this game. Grow up....

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by jerlot65

This post is proof that the MMORPG communitty is full of  the worst, most jaded, most idiotic people out there.  A simple email advertisement is picked apart, degraded, taken way out of context, held under a microscope, blown way out of proportion, and generates 100's of conspiracy/end of the world theories.

Any other product/company would do the same exact email and people who liked it would click on it and the people who dont would just delete it.  But no, not from a MMORPG company, oh heck no, this email must be the talk of the town now.

Give me a break people.

OP gets an unsolicited email. OP comments on said email.

You're right, he is the most entitled scum of the galaxy. For shame.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid

This. I get more from EVE than I'd like to count.

Give me a break people.

And this.

Originally posted by Enigmatus

Give me a break people.

Gimme a break, Gimme a break, Gimme a piece of that Kit Kat Bar!

/offtopic

Last one.

That's all I gotta say about this thread.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Give me a break people.

Gimme a break, Gimme a break, Gimme a piece of that Kit Kat Bar!

/offtopic

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452
    If you don't like it, there should be a way to unsubscribe from the mailing list.
  • rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329
    As long as they haven't hidden the unsubscribe button again!
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Khaeros
    If you don't like it, there should be a way to unsubscribe from the mailing list.

When I quit the game a few months after release, and unsubscribed they still kept emailing me so  I just called them up and had them delete my account so I couldn't be counted in their bogus subscription numbers later on. Haven't gotten any emails since.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot