Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: 2.7 Million Sold the First Week

12346»

Comments

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Akumawraith
    Originally posted by Nadia

Blizz has been known to pad thier numbers so the 10 million or so it currently has could be false also.

you have an example where blizzard has padded their numbers?

In the 15+ year I have played Blizz games I have only known them to be open about anything they may have done wrong only once. and that was this year when they got hacked. So evidence? no hard evidence will ever be found. But considering they were at 10 mill , lost 1.1 mill and are still claiming 10mill +? Tell me where it makes sense?

So, when you say they've been "known" to pad their numbers, that's really just an ethereal assumption on your part, with no basis in fact. In other words, bullshit.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Truelevel
    How much more content will WoW have in the future,,, Can they keep it up?

No because pretty soon everyone will have leveled up all the needed faction and then be on the sidelines waiting once every 9 months for the next patch.

As in how they are with GW2 now?

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Omnifish
    Originally posted by Zylaxx Originally posted by Truelevel How much more content will WoW have in the future,,, Can they keep it up?
    No because pretty soon everyone will have leveled up all the needed faction and then be on the sidelines waiting once every 9 months for the next patch.

FYI for the other poster that said it will be 9 months for the next patch. 5.1 is about to goto the test server within the next week or two. If all goes well within the next few weeks / end of month 5.1 will be out. And its a fairly big content patch to boot.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Thomas2006

Originally posted by Truelevel How much more content will WoW have in the future,,, Can they keep it up?

FYI for the other poster that said it will be 9 months for the next patch. 5.1 is about to goto the test server within the next week or two. If all goes well within the next few weeks / end of month 5.1 will be out. And its a fairly big content patch to boot.

I sincerely hope Blizzard is scrambiling to keep their customer's (I'm no longer one of them) engaged and well fed, giving them something for that $15 a month. Hopefully the days of shameless milking are a thing of the past.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by laserit
    Originally posted by Thomas2006   Originally posted by Omnifish Originally posted by Zylaxx Originally posted by Truelevel How much more content will WoW have in the future,,, Can they keep it up?
    I sincerely hope Blizzard is scrambiling to keep their customer's (I'm no longer one of them) engaged and well fed, giving them something for that $15 a month. Hopefully the days of shameless milking are a thing of the past.

I agree with you. There content releases in the past was bad. Noone will deny that 5+ months between content addition is just too much.

If they can stick with every other month or at most every 3 months that would be fine as long as there is some meat to the patchs and not just here is a small quest hub and some rep grinds. See you in 3 months.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by Teala
    I and my partner still haven't bought Mist of Pandaria and we're letting our subs go this month.    We did the Mist beta and didn't like the changes they made to the talent trees or the cross character achievements.   That means that for the first time since 2004, neither of us will have a WoW account.    We did like the new Panda's and Pandaria, we just didn't like the changes that came with it to the core game play.   Blizzard lost two fans here.  I wonder how many others feel as we do?

People are warming upto the new talent setup, it is better unless you are stuck in the illusion the other system offered choice. As for the account wide achievements, you won't find many people who are upset with that and quite honestly why would you be. If you like panda's and pandaria you should really pick up the game.. you're missing out.

Nonsense.  The other talent system offered at least a lilttle choice, this offers so little choice it is not worth mentioning.  You probably won't see many people playing Wow that are upset with it because a large number of us are not playing it because they have so dumbed down the game it offers zero challenge any more.

For the person above, the chinese do not have this expansion yet, hence why the disparity between 2.7 mil purchases and 10 million playing.

Originally posted by Thomas2006

Originally posted by Truelevel How much more content will WoW have in the future,,, Can they keep it up?

So I hear. I'm just stating that argument about about how slow Cata content was released, (and it was terrible), is sort of hyprocritical from GW2 fans considering how many, 'bored', threads we have on those forums right now.

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by Teala
    I and my partner still haven't bought Mist of Pandaria and we're letting our subs go this month.    We did the Mist beta and didn't like the changes they made to the talent trees or the cross character achievements.   That means that for the first time since 2004, neither of us will have a WoW account.    We did like the new Panda's and Pandaria, we just didn't like the changes that came with it to the core game play.   Blizzard lost two fans here.  I wonder how many others feel as we do?

People are warming upto the new talent setup, it is better unless you are stuck in the illusion the other system offered choice. As for the account wide achievements, you won't find many people who are upset with that and quite honestly why would you be. If you like panda's and pandaria you should really pick up the game.. you're missing out.

Nonsense.  The other talent system offered at least a lilttle choice, this offers so little choice it is not worth mentioning.  You probably won't see many people playing Wow that are upset with it because a large number of us are not playing it because they have so dumbed down the game it offers zero challenge any more.

For the person above, the chinese do not have this expansion yet, hence why the disparity between 2.7 mil purchases and 10 million playing.

Have you actually used it or are you just stating this because someone on here told you so?

Does this talent system offer a ton of choices? No, but if offers more then before when best spec for this/that ruled.

• jym_nilsjym_nils Member UncommonPosts: 11

considering that 500.000 are bots and that they will be baned in 3 months and buy again we can easily sutract 500k to that number

, and the remaining 2 millons are obsesive 2+ account boots players, i guess only 1 millon bough or less real humans adquired the game

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by rygard49

Blizz has been known to pad thier numbers so the 10 million or so it currently has could be false also.

In the 15+ year I have played Blizz games I have only known them to be open about anything they may have done wrong only once. and that was this year when they got hacked. So evidence? no hard evidence will ever be found. But considering they were at 10 mill , lost 1.1 mill and are still claiming 10mill +? Tell me where it makes sense?

So, when you say they've been "known" to pad their numbers, that's really just an ethereal assumption on your part, with no basis in fact. In other words, bullshit.

Bullshit? possibly, but not probable. You see, Though I have played Blizz games since Warcraft Orcs and Humans till present day I have never been classified as a fan boy of them. Now also note that supposedly in all the years of Players accounts getting randomly hacked in World of warcraft,

Not once in its first 8 years did Blizz ever announce or admit that they had security issues. When ever players called the Customer service to find out why thier accounts were frozen or in many cases hacked for one reason or another, Blizzards standard response was to place blame on the player.

back in 2006 I was away on business in China and when I came back after a week or so away I went to log into my account and couldnt. I called Blizzard and they told me that I should check for third party programs on my system, Delete the WTF and so on... Eventually I was told to not be giving my Account Information out to friends and family.

To this day I still have never given my account information to anyone nor will I ever and I was curious as to why the Reps wouldnt take it seriously at the time. and it was simple. If it were publicly known that players were being hacked then Blizz would have some serious answering to do. So they claimed all was well, it was all the players fault and thus the rumor mills started churning.

but anyway, the point is If you believe businesses like Blizzard will give you 100% of the truth about thier numbers of active accounts vs accounts that are just sitting till time runs out you are naive. Call it Bullshit all you want.. makes no difference. Businesses never give you the truth, get over it.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Just here to give some applause to a game 8 years old being able to hit 2.7 million(in the first week)for an expansion. Regardless of opinions it is an amazing feat to continually outsell any of the other huge hyped games. I still play now and then, and have since launch. It's definitely not my cup of tea for an MMO anymore, but they still appeal to a huge audience.
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

The numbers don't surprise me I have been playing WoW Panda expansion and it is indeed a good effort from Blizz. But it is a bit too easy I think now. Like GW2, very immediate gaming, but is that what people really want? 

Well, folks. IN the next year or two the next generation consoles and internet compatible TV computers will arrive. That will be a game changer on the gaming landscape, and we will maybe see something of a gaming renaissance when that all hits in the next few years.

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Originally posted by Entris38
    Just here to give some applause to a game 8 years old being able to hit 2.7 million(in the first week)for an expansion. Regardless of opinions it is an amazing feat to continually outsell any of the other huge hyped games. I still play now and then, and have since launch. It's definitely not my cup of tea for an MMO anymore, but they still appeal to a huge audience.

Not hard to appeal to kids :

Still can't believe people gloss over the fact that Blizzard used an April Fools joke as the primer for an expansion.

*Pandaren april fools was they were to be the 5th playable race in WC3, for an RTS yes, Pandas is a pretty awesome idea. But when you make them look goofy for an MMO...

Now if they had used something similar to the WC3 model, then it wouldn't be so bad.

PS: I wonder how many subs they'll have after October ;)

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Still more than any other western game.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Every time they use the word "subscriber".  I'm pretty sure they include anyone that played even just one hour in a chinese internet cafe in the last month if not the last quarter.

thats true but the distinction of what is a sub is always made in the same press release

Blizzard counts any player that spent money that month

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html

World of Warcraft’s Subscriber Definition

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules

• LordGracyLordGracy Member Posts: 23
    So far I am enjoying MoP moreso then GW2. When I pick which one I want to login to I have been choosing MoP for teh last week or so. My monk is level 33 so im pretty casual but its pretty sweet. I am loving the MoP expansion so far.
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Every time they use the word "subscriber".  I'm pretty sure they include anyone that played even just one hour in a chinese internet cafe in the last month if not the last quarter.

thats true but the distinction of what is a sub is always made in the same press release

Blizzard counts any player that spent money that month

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html

World of Warcraft’s Subscriber Definition

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules

Yeah.....but how many people make up 'internet game room players' ...... do we have any idea what that number is or what percentage of the total subscribing population is?

Is this how China accesses the game or something? That's the only way I can see it overly 'inflating' or 'exagerating' the WoW subscription numbers.

Even then - if millions upon millions of people are accessing WoW through Internet game rooms, that is still an impressive stat to advertise and anyone in the pr/advertising segment would be a fool to completely discount those players.

And at the end of the day, will anyone sleep better knowing they have found irrefutable evidence that Blizzard puts a spin on their numbers for promotional purposes. OMG! Advertisers are trying to put their product in the best light! Call the CIA.

It's like going outside and feeling smug you've figured out that the sky is blue.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

I'm not surprised at the low sales for this expansion given that Cata sucked and all the panning of the "Panda" theme. But - I'm surprised at how much I like this expansion (much better than even Wrath) - the zones are the most beautiful to date and there's so much to do It'll keep me busy for quite a while.

I suspect that the sales will kick in around Xmas time and after people read the good reviews it's getting from the players.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247

2.7 million copies for about 9 million accounts?

Blizzard - WE TOLD YOU SO!

Sure, MoP isn't all bad, but when you take the long path down insipid leveling and linear character development Blizzard has, then you are going to lose accounts. When you write the kind of storyline that there is for MoP, then you are going to lose accounts. When you simplify everything to the point that there is no significant choice for fleshing out your character's build, you are going to lose accounts.

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by Smokeysong

The simple fact of the matter is that it got more people interested (in the west, no less, since we don't count the Chinese as people on these forums -.-) than ANY OTHER MMO *EVER* (bar WoW itself). And it did so in far greater numbers and less time than any competitor.

Now, PRAY TELL, what exactly was it you "told Blizzard to be so"? Shut the hell up.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Originally posted by echolynfan

I'm not surprised at the low sales for this expansion given that Cata sucked and all the panning of the "Panda" theme. But - I'm surprised at how much I like this expansion (much better than even Wrath) - the zones are the most beautiful to date and there's so much to do It'll keep me busy for quite a while.

I suspect that the sales will kick in around Xmas time and after people read the good reviews it's getting from the players.

What good reviews? All I've seen now that people are 90 is that it's World of Dailycraft on steroids. People are already bored.

• SketchSketch Member UncommonPosts: 337

Reading the comments has been more interesting than the article. I've see an ongoing weird and sad trend of WoW & GW2 fanbois shitting all over pretty much any other game explaining why it's not as good as their game. It's a bizarre phenomenon to watch people on gamer forums trash and defend games as if somehow their self worth was tied in to it. It's a game, a toy for your entertainment. If you find yourself getting angry because of the game or what other people say about it then you are taking it to seriously and it's time to dial back a bit.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Smokeysong

Sure, MoP isn't all bad, but when you take the long path down insipid leveling and linear character development Blizzard has, then you are going to lose accounts. When you write the kind of storyline that there is for MoP, then you are going to lose accounts. When you simplify everything to the point that there is no significant choice for fleshing out your character's build, you are going to lose accounts.

And? how much do you think BC, WOTLK and Cata sold. Compared to then player base of 11+ million i would use your logic and say those were not impressive numbers either.

Some of you try too hard to downplay success of WOW.