Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Silkroad Online: Silkroad Online's Historic 15 Years

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Silkroad Online recently celebrated its 15th year of MMORPG goodness. In today's Free Zone, we take a look at Silkroad Online and ruminate about its past and its future. Read on!

Joymax' Silkroad Online takes place in a fictionalized version of this period.  Combining elements of history and culture with legends of the time, it offers players three roles and the ability to switch among them.  Merchants buy goods to transport elsewhere and sell at a profit. Thieves take from the rich and give to... well, typically themselves, and hunters are mercenaries who can be hired to stop them.  I first saw it in Korea a decade ago, a few years before the game's global service made it available to North American players in 2006. However, it has been in operation even longer. Last month, it reached a notable milestone, 15 years in service. This prompted me to get in touch with Choi Inho, Head of Development for the title, to learn more about its past.

Read more of Richard Aihoshi's The Free Zone: Silkroad Online's Historic 15 Years.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Um.. Its not 15 years old.. O.ö  It released in 2004 I do believe not 1997..
  • BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624
    You cannot be serious... there are no players in this game. Last time I was nostalgic and decided to take a peak at SIlkroad, I could not level even in the early zone, because there were groups of 20-30 bots (you can recognise them by the train-like grouping =)) ). Simply a piece of garbage.

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    where in the world did you guys get 15 years old from? holy crap you are WAY off

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Reading is hard.  More news @ 11.

C'mon guys, it explains the age and the much later release in the west.  

This is a game I never actually tried.  I never knew about its concept, either.  Interesting article.  Thanks.

• MMOLIFE-AndrewMMOLIFE-Andrew Member UncommonPosts: 50
    You guys do understand this game has been out way before it came to the NA region correct? Ok, that is why its 15 years not just from 04-06 times.
  • VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Lower levels are full of bots, but the servers are still very populated (on the high end) from a 'WORLDWIDE' standpoint.. That means that in the higher levels you will see quite a few people but do not expect them to speak english or perfect english because more than likely they are not from America..

Much like Knight Online, which still has quite a few players despite being a very old and graphically outdated game..

Not everyone jumps from game to game based on graphics.. It seems some people, once they find their love, truly intend to stay no matter who else does..

• woodard2040woodard2040 Member Posts: 20
    8 YEARS(because it's really not fair to count the time before westernization) of botting, hacking and one of the worst grinds in MMOs. Move along people nothing to see here.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by woodard2040
    8 YEARS(because it's really not fair to count the time before westernization) of botting, hacking and one of the worst grinds in MMOs. Move along people nothing to see here.

And why is it not fair? let me guess because you said so.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by halflife25

There is an unfortunate pattern on these forums to reject any data or milestone from the East, as if what occurs there does not count or is irrelevant to the design, history or future of MMOs.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BlackhoundBlackhound Member UncommonPosts: 52

It's not 15 years old. Anyone who was playing video games 15 years ago could tell you how they know.

This hype is due to horrible mistranslations and nobody willing to check into it. Joymax, the developer, is celebrating 15 years. Silkroad Online has only been around since 2004.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by BTrayaL
    You cannot be serious... there are no players in this game. Last time I was nostalgic and decided to take a peak at SIlkroad, I could not level even in the early zone, because there were groups of 20-30 bots (you can recognise them by the train-like grouping =)) ). Simply a piece of garbage.

Actually, SRo itself is a good game. The amount of bots won't change that a bit. Also, last time I checked (about half a year ago), JoyMax was very busy on banning bots.

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311
    this game was good till the bots took over  the servers then  like most  people  i just gave up  . they never seem to do any thing about it as long botters were buying lots of silk
    Originally posted by Blackhound

It's not 15 years old. Anyone who was playing video games 15 years ago could tell you how they know.

This hype is due to horrible mistranslations and nobody willing to check into it. Joymax, the developer, is celebrating 15 years. Silkroad Online has only been around since 2004.

The whole world doesn't revolve around west. Original release date in east makes it 15 years old.

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by BTrayaL

Actually, SRo itself is a good game. The amount of bots won't change that a bit. Also, last time I checked (about half a year ago), JoyMax was very busy on banning bots.

do this all the time now and then do a mass ban . next week  same botters will be back  only ones who never got banned were paying botters . i know this i gave up and bought a bot   only way i could farm then fun went  out of the game so i  never went back on

The whole world doesn't revolve around west. Original release date in east makes it 15 years old.

Do you have proof of it's fictional 1997 launch?

Nobody does.

And for that matter, 1997 MMORPGs looked like Ultima Online. If you haven't seen that, you wouldn't understand how Silk Road could not possibly have existed back then, even with eight graphics engine overhauls.

Nobody does.

http://mmogamecentral.com/silkroad-online-celebrates-impressive-15th-anniversary/

“When we opened the doors to Silkroad Online in 1997, we had no idea we would one day be celebrating fifteen years of active service!” said Nam-Chul Kim, CEO of Joymax. “It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating the tenth anniversary, which in and of itself is a huge milestone. We give our most heartfelt thanks to all of our players for your ongoing interest and support.”

So whom should i believe? the official statement by the company itself or some random forum posters like yourself? unless  CEO of Joymax is also lying?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

There is an unfortunate pattern on these forums to reject any data or milestone from the East, as if what occurs there does not count or is irrelevant to the design, history or future of MMOs.

Well i have to disagree with you.  This game was not available here 15 years ago so it is NOT 15 years old here.   I get rather irked when people dispute absolute facts.

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Well i have to disagree with you.  This game was not available here 15 years ago so it is NOT 15 years old here.   I get rather irked when people dispute absolute facts.

Read the above post. I don't know from where you are pulling your 'absolute fact' from. 

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    This thread is turning into comedy gold!

You stay sassy!

Nobody does.

http://mmogamecentral.com/silkroad-online-celebrates-impressive-15th-anniversary/

“When we opened the doors to Silkroad Online in 1997, we had no idea we would one day be celebrating fifteen years of active service!” said Nam-Chul Kim, CEO of Joymax. “It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating the tenth anniversary, which in and of itself is a huge milestone. We give our most heartfelt thanks to all of our players for your ongoing interest and support.”

So whom should i believe? the official statement by the company itself or some random forum posters like yourself? unless  CEO of Joymax is also lying?

You should also include my edit that went up before your post.

"And for that matter, 1997 MMORPGs looked like Ultima Online. If you haven't seen that, you wouldn't understand how Silk Road could not possibly have existed back then, even with eight graphics engine overhauls."

The technology used in Silkroad Online's design simply did not exist. Gandhi could come down and say it was his favorite MMO of 1997, it still would not be true.

What you've posted to me is an article on a minor gaming website that was probably translated from Korean, it's hardly proof. A single statement posted on the internet also does not magically change the past and what technology was around.

Furthermore, the oldest forum post on the Korean Silkroad website is 2005. They didn't even have their community running outside of beta forums? The joymax domain was acquired at the end of November in 1997 which means at best we're looking at 14 years and some change, presuming they launched their MMO the same day they made major business purchases towards opening their doors as a legitimate business, further indicating that you should be taking this with a grain of salt.

Nobody does.

You should also include my edit that went up before your post.

"And for that matter, 1997 MMORPGs looked like Ultima Online. If you haven't seen that, you wouldn't understand how Silk Road could not possibly have existed back then, even with eight graphics engine overhauls."

The technology used in Silkroad Online's design simply did not exist. Gandhi could come down and say it was his favorite MMO of 1997, it still would not be true.

What you've posted to me is an article on a minor gaming website that was probably translated from Korean, it's hardly proof. A single statement posted on the internet also does not magically change the past and what technology was around.

Furthermore, the oldest forum post on the Korean Silkroad website is 2005. They didn't even have their community running outside of beta forums? The joymax domain was acquired at the end of November in 1997 which means at best we're looking at 14 years and some change, presuming they launched their MMO the same day they made major business purchases towards opening their doors as a legitimate business, further indicating that you should be taking this with a grain of salt.

Yeah CEO of the company lied and you are the only one with facts right?

. Atleast i backed up the claim of OP. And no i didn't translate anything just posted the way it was printed in English.

• bobbymobobbymo Member UncommonPosts: 48
    This should have been one of the greatest mmo's ever. The thief, trader, mercenary system is amazing. I played before europe was introduced and had a blast before there were a ton of bots. Some people complain about the grind, but for some players it is enjoyable. Getting to a high level requires dedication and there is a true sense of accomplishment you rarely get from modern games. If collecting 300 frog eyes with @10% drop rate sounds like a fun quest, then this game is for you LoL. I enjoyed the game and if I can talk some fiends into playing it, I would be back on a heartbeat.
  • 3nimac3nimac Member UncommonPosts: 63
    You guys realize what games looked like in 1997? I remember playing Silkroad in 2006 and thinking it was very pretty, for the time of course, maybe even prettier than Lineage 2 (2003). No way it released in 1997.
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228
    o-o you guys havent heard of texture/game eng upgrades??? @_@ while i played the singlish Sro just before bots became the population.. i find it nice to see some games survive long periods of time. which to be honest is rare in MMOs least of all singlish ones with huge grinds. for a 10+yr old game i got to say sro had nice graphics for its age. they arent super high end. but never had issues playing the game.