Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Brand New Combat Feature to be Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This Friday at 4pm EDT, The Secret World's Game Director Joel Bylos will be joined by Lead Coder Øystein Eftevaag and Art Producer Davide Tabacco.  The trio will be livestreaming exclusively on MMORPG.com's Twitch Channel. The topic? A brand new, never before seen combat feature.  Be sure to tune in at 4pm EDT (1pm PDT) to see one of the biggest changes coming to The Secret World.  

Join us this Friday on the MMORPG.com stream channel!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KaazKaaz Member Posts: 18
    oooo intriguing 
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    The new auxiliary weapon? Or something much more?
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    can I get a lock please my thread was first image
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Draron

nah gotta be bigger than that aux isnt new :)

Originally posted by bcbully
    can I get a lock please my thread was first image

Seems this thread beat yours by 19 minutes image

nah gotta be bigger than that aux isnt new :)

Yea, can't wait 'till Friday now. Good thing I'm off then. They talked about a new faction vs faction type of thing where you don't have to go anywhere to participate. Hope it's something to do with that.

Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Kinda like hiding levels in "skill trees"  in oder to claim the characters don't have levels. lol

Riiiight what level is a guy with 8 in weapons a 10 on the head 5 on minors and a 7 on majors?

I'm waiting.

Kinda like hiding levels in "skill trees"  in oder to claim the characters don't have levels. lol

Some sort of progression check is needed the way the dungeons and raids are set up in game. But even still, it's much more flexible than a level system ever could be. 

Riiiight what level is a guy with 8 in weapons a 10 on the head 5 on minors and a 7 on majors?

I'm waiting.

If there were no levels ( you know, the things that come from that ice experience bar ), the guy who just walked out of the newbie tutorial could stand toe-to-toe  with the guy who has been playing for a month.

If there were no levels, a monster down the street wouldn't kill you in one hit when you can kill multiples in a row without dying in your current area.

If there were no levels, the word "TIER" would never appear anywhere in the entire game especially in relation to "skills", "weapons" or "items".

Wrong. EVE Online/Wurm/Darkfall and even UO didn't let you take on the biggest mobs until after you maxed some skills and got some nice gear. Most all games, even sandboxes, have skillchecks.

TSW does not have levels in the traditional sense and are much more flexible.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I'm waiting.

If there were no levels ( you know, the things that come from that ice experience bar ), the guy who just walked out of the newbie tutorial could stand toe-to-toe  with the guy who has been playing for a month.

If there were no levels, a monster down the street wouldn't kill you in one hit when you can kill multiples in a row without dying in your current area.

If there were no levels, the word "TIER" would never appear anywhere in the entire game especially in relation to "skills", "weapons" or "items".

If you read a choose your own adventure book from front to back like a traditional book it wouldn't make much sense. Even though both are books, have pages numbered in ascending order and require you to read them. It is not a question of if there is a book is involved, it's  how you go about progressing with those two similar types of media in a different manner.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

I'm waiting.

Wrong. EVE Online and even UO didn't let you take on the biggest mobs until after you maxed some skills and got some nice gear.

Even UO had levels. It's called "Sword 1/500".

If you have to gain experience in something to use something better, you are leveling. It doesn't matter if you call it "skill progression" or "mastering" or whatever else. If there is an 'XP Bar", there are levels.

If there are "tiers", there are levels.

Funcom did nothing new, they just gave it a facelift and a name change.

That's what I was saying. Every game that is based on getting new gear and such has progression checks. But calling them levels in TSW doesn't do it justice.

Usually "levels" in a game is tied to how strong your character is and what is available. In TSW, you can have every skill possible and still only be able to use QL 1 talismans. Like I said before, the "levels" in TSW are more just progression checks, at least compared to the standard MMO.

Gonna end my replies here, don't want to derail this topic even more.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I'm waiting.

Wrong. EVE Online and even UO didn't let you take on the biggest mobs until after you maxed some skills and got some nice gear.

Even UO had levels. It's called "Sword 1/500".

If you have to gain experience in something to use something better, you are leveling. It doesn't matter if you call it "skill progression" or "mastering" or whatever else. If there is an 'XP Bar", there are levels.

If there are "tiers", there are levels.

Funcom did nothing new, they just gave it a facelift and a name change.

Like I stated in my response to you with the choose-your-own-adventure book. Why are you hung up on the word "levels"? It's like saying every book has "chapters", when I pointed you to the above example.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well the picutre you guys used showed the ql4 rocket luancher being used.  So that is an aux weapon slot.  I guess were getting more as there was 3 places on the aux wheel.

Nothing new about the combat in tsw, you basicly leveled up the weapon types you used and the gear slots you used.  So you did have levels ql1-10.4  Based on how you used your sp.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Some sort of sanity meter?
  • CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    YES Sanity meter would be awesome!

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    Chainsaw is next Aux weapon. Whether that will be what is announced here, who knows? You figure with they way they are shilling it should represent a dramatic change in the way combat works but we have been victims of "Dev Puffery" before.
  • valoizvaloiz Member UncommonPosts: 52

Open new skills, into the skill wheel, its complety diferent from leveling. Cuz u actually juts open new options, new forms, combinations, to use skills and kill/heal/tank/support/survive. U can (and a lot of decks does it) make efective combinations betwen the firts skill from a tree with the more expensives.... every skill, in its own way, are  "unique", so its not leveling. New ones are not just improvement of the old ones....  u are not leveling skills.

OC theres a pregresion sense about unlock more skill... but its actually not mandatory to end the game content. U can do all story quest from TSW with just 7 active and 7 Pasive skills from the center of the wheel if u want....

Theres diferent types of QL gear.. but they are NOT tiers... they not need o be toggether. They must/could be combine and give u freee to chose (like the skills wheel).

TWS give u a lot of freedom when u compare it with tradicional MMORPG who are all about leveling and get the specific tier make it for ur char.....

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    #32 Unread Today, 07:04 PM

Lead Content Designer

Oh the speculation.

- Not going to reveal a new Aux weapon.
    - Combat feature means a combat feature - not a domination map or a player driven content feature.

It will actually be revealed *before* the live stream, but you'll be seeing it for the first time in the live stream.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ithnag View Post

Tease us moar!

Also not a sanity meter...

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    This is an awesome game.  The leveling if that's what you want to call it is unique.  Poo on the naysayers hehe!
  • CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164
    A new combat system, to replace the builder-finisher only option, would be the best thing to me.
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Lead Content Designer

Oh the speculation.

- Combat feature means a combat feature - not a domination map or a player driven content feature.

It will actually be revealed *before* the live stream, but you'll be seeing it for the first time in the live stream.

Quote:

Tease us moar!

Not a new Aux weapon? They just like building anticipation.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I hope its cars.

So we can drive over zombies in Kingsmouth.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    You'll have to do a 5 key combo for each of your active powers, now.  image
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Lead Content Designer

Oh the speculation.

Quote:

Tease us moar!

Not a new Aux weapon? They just like building anticipation.

geez I'm slow today I was baout to paste this lol.

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by jayfeeler69
    My guess is they are adding auto attack and they will claim its original and never been done. Seriously does anyone believe the drivel funcom spouts anymore?

Well, I guess we'll have to wait until Friday to see, won't we?

I find myself intrigued by this news - but I find the high level of communications by Ragnar, John & Co. very gratifying.