Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sid Meyer;s X-com incoming

tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
Read that its well made and looks and feels pretty close to the old wondrous x-com series,only evolved with 3d graficks and enriched in gameplay by sid meyer,and from what ive read its out the next few days. Some prayers got heard at last...

Comments

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I have to say I miss the TU system. Because you coiuld buff up your soldiers TU by making them haul around heavy weapons (auto cannons, heavy cannons, missile launchers). So there was an underlying tactical-ness to how you equiped your team. The more long range shots the took the better their aim got, and so on. Sadly I dont think that "layer" is there any more.

But Im not hating the new system, Ive preordered and am very much looking forward to it. Only thing that worries me is if they try and nickle & dime me with DLC. That would piss me off.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

A blazing light in the dark times of RTS- and Shooter-Mania. Really love it.

Need more Turn based games!

Hodor!

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by gwei1984

A blazing light in the dark times of RTS- and Shooter-Mania. Really love it.

Need more Turn based games!

Indeed.

The demo was great, can't wait to get into full game!

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

The demo had a very consoley and simplified feel into it, but demos can be deceiving. We'll now in a couple days I guess.

We're talking about the following X-com or something else?

http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    just a warning

NO FREE AIM
  • Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558
    Originally posted by Hokie

I have to say I miss the TU system. Because you coiuld buff up your soldiers TU by making them haul around heavy weapons (auto cannons, heavy cannons, missile launchers). So there was an underlying tactical-ness to how you equiped your team. The more long range shots the took the better their aim got, and so on. Sadly I dont think that "layer" is there any more.

But Im not hating the new system, Ive preordered and am very much looking forward to it. Only thing that worries me is if they try and nickle & dime me with DLC. That would piss me off.

I had a small discussion about this in another forum. That basically, as people played the OG, their imaginations filled in the gaps the systems at the time had. Which is fine, it's a great way to enjoy games. The problem arises when years later, people recall the systems and forget (or maybe didn't even realize it) that they were imaging the systems to work on a deeper layer than they did.

Your post has a bit of this. TU improvement didn't care about your weight, or even how much your unit moved. TUs are considered a "secondary stat" in the game, which means it had a small chance to increase with any action you take. Wether it was shooting something, or just standing around and getting a lucky reaction shot off.

Accuracy didn't care about range, either. It only had a chance to increase whenever a hit was landed. And it didn't ask for direct hits. You could load a Small Launcher (stun bomb launcher) and fire at some random place, and as long as some alien was hit in the blast, it would count for accuracy. And since it only cared about hits, anyone that used a Blaster Launcher saw their accuracy skyrocket :P

I will admit, I do miss stats naturally rising as apposed to on rank ups, though.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Xasapis
    The demo had a very consoley and simplified feel into it, but demos can be deceiving. We'll now in a couple days I guess.We're talking about the following X-com or something else?http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/
    I didn´play the demo, but I read the same criticism about it by other people. Then some guy released a mod for the demo (the "hacked demo"), where you could choose more advanced enemies etc, and people were blown away.

So here is hope. By the way I would even prefer playing with gamepad if the controls are well made.

Sadly the game releases Oct 12th here. :/

Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

I had a small discussion about this in another forum. That basically, as people played the OG, their imaginations filled in the gaps the systems at the time had. Which is fine, it's a great way to enjoy games. The problem arises when years later, people recall the systems and forget (or maybe didn't even realize it) that they were imaging the systems to work on a deeper layer than they did.

Your post has a bit of this. TU improvement didn't care about your weight, or even how much your unit moved. TUs are considered a "secondary stat" in the game, which means it had a small chance to increase with any action you take. Wether it was shooting something, or just standing around and getting a lucky reaction shot off.

Accuracy didn't care about range, either. It only had a chance to increase whenever a hit was landed. And it didn't ask for direct hits. You could load a Small Launcher (stun bomb launcher) and fire at some random place, and as long as some alien was hit in the blast, it would count for accuracy. And since it only cared about hits, anyone that used a Blaster Launcher saw their accuracy skyrocket :P

I will admit, I do miss stats naturally rising as apposed to on rank ups, though.

Are you sure. Not saying youre wrong mind you. Especially about the accuracy bit. But I do remember the guys I had walking around with the heavy cannons, as long as I used up their TU 's moving, would have a greater TU pool come next mission.

Main reason I remember this is I would load the max number of soldiers in my SkyRanger, 12 if I remember, but only have 4 high skilled troopers while the other eight just ran around loaded to hell with heavy cannons and ammo. I'd do that on 3-4 small crash sights and then start building them into an "Elite Fast Recon Force".

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Are you sure. Not saying youre wrong mind you. Especially about the accuracy bit. But I do remember the guys I had walking around with the heavy cannons, as long as I used up their TU 's moving, would have a greater TU pool come next mission.

Main reason I remember this is I would load the max number of soldiers in my SkyRanger, 12 if I remember, but only have 4 high skilled troopers while the other eight just ran around loaded to hell with heavy cannons and ammo. I'd do that on 3-4 small crash sights and then start building them into an "Elite Fast Recon Force".

Yup. Information on how Time Units improved can be found here: UFOpaedia: Time Units

It's why, personally, my long surviving snipers had ridiculous strength and TU values, despite only ever carrying nothing but their rifle and only taking shots here and there (granted, they always hit due to high accuracy, but still).

Long laster veterans who were used instead of being used as Skyranger cheerleaders (not implying you did that, of course, but I know in general a lot of people did this due to fear of them dying) eventually turned into super soldiers that could do everything, and that's mostly because half their stats had a chance of going up everytime you just took a shot.

Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

Yup. Information on how Time Units improved can be found here: UFOpaedia: Time Units

It's why, personally, my long surviving snipers had ridiculous strength and TU values, despite only ever carrying nothing but their rifle and only taking shots here and there (granted, they always hit due to high accuracy, but still).

Long laster veterans who were used instead of being used as Skyranger cheerleaders (not implying you did that, of course, but I know in general a lot of people did this due to fear of them dying) eventually turned into super soldiers that could do everything, and that's mostly because half their stats had a chance of going up everytime you just took a shot.

Hey thanks for clearing that up.

And nope never had cheerleaders. As a matter of fact once blaster launchers/bombs starting showing up my team GTFO of the SkyRanger in groups of four as fast and safe as possible.

Had that one real bad mission where right at the start an alien blaster bombed my whole team on their first move. I so f'n raged. Now I would have just had a good laugh. Back then I was really pissed, it was my best, and only team.

And thanks for the link too.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I would love to play a good remake of the good ol' X-Com series but unfortunally this isn't it. It's a great title on it's own and deserve the praise it gets, but to me it doesn't even stand the comparison.

You can only bring 4 soldiers with you, there is no base defense, having that nervewrecking experience of having to defend your base with a bunch of rookies in basic gear while your top noch commandoes have been sent out on a mission. There's a handful of things taken away that doesn't make up for it with the stuff given instead.

That's not even mentioning the interesting alien concept that had it's hayday in the 90's where it was at its highest. They were todays vampires and zombies and the X-Files was at its prime. Cattle mutilations and wild speculations made it into the original in the form of lore.

Great game but a decade too late and too limited compared to the original

You can have more than four soldiers. Its something-tactics you need to train. Havent trained it yet.

Im not yet 100% sold on the idea of getting rid of TU's. I think they did it to give your soldiers those cool abilities. But Im almost feeling its limited the scope of my freedom.

Same with putting people in a class: Sniper, Assault, Heavy,..and what Trooper or something like that.

Im still taking my time doing the tutorial, but why cant I pick up a weapon from one of my dead team mates, or drop a medikit so someone can heal that soldier. Maybe I cant in the tutorial, not sure.

Im not hating it. I'm willing to give it some time to grow on me. Just not sure that the direction they went is better.