Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW & Mists is boring...unsubbed, going back to GW2...

Comments

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by cesmode8

As the title reads, the game hasnt changed one bit aside from a talent overhaul, which they do every expansion(get ready for another one in two years), increased level cap, new race and class(like they havent done this before), and a poor attempt at adding some subpar endgame systems such as scenarios(rift does this better) and pokemon. 

Unsubbed, heading back to GW2.  By far a superior game in most facets.

That's why MoP was the first WoW expansion I didnt even buy. I already knew for a fact that there's nothing new to go back to. After 15 minutes of play it's just exactly the same old, and after getting to max level you jump into the same old treadmill. I have lost my faith in Blizzard's ability to add anything actually new stuff in their games, except for the tweaks and apparently some minigames (which is awesome, but not enough to go back to).

Dont get me wrong though, I think WoW is an awesome game, one of the best mmorpgs, and certainly was the best back in the day. It's just when something refuses to evolve, it will get boring, and it will stay boring. It's not helping that everything is trivialized in the game and automatized (afterall it's a mmorpg and not some serverless mix-mess-community lobby MOBA).

I almost envy people who are still having fun in WoW, or who are new to the game, all the best for them :)

To be honest, I sort of agree with every word you said, down to the last sentence.  I do envy them.  But, in my opinion, I see the game and the development of it for what it truely is:  Other MMOs come and go, but excel in one or two things.  Blizzard tries to duplicate this, if their outdated technology allows them to.  Sometimes they succeed, most of the time they fail.  Either way, they are always a few years behind the curve in terms of the hopping on the bandwagon of what the MMO community wants(if they ever listen at all...) and fail to be innovative.  In my opinion, their development minds say "We know better than you, and we'll see we listen to your feedback, but we really think XYZ".  Just read the forums.  People post many things about this and that, what works and doesnt.  They say its working as intended, they feel this way and that.  Take a dev like Trion.  They listen and pump out awsome endgame features, systems, and content.  If blizzard adopted that methodology, Id return in a second.  But they wont.  They are holier than though, thus their game remains static and in a glimmer of its former glory.  I look to greener pastures.  Right now its GW2.  With many hours of play time in already, and many to come, it is the game for me.  Once Im done with it, I am probably done with all MMOs until MAYBE titan.  Thats a big maybe.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

As the title reads, the game hasnt changed one bit aside from a talent overhaul, which they do every expansion(get ready for another one in two years), increased level cap, new race and class(like they havent done this before), and a poor attempt at adding some subpar endgame systems such as scenarios(rift does this better) and pokemon. 

Were you actively playing WoW when GW2 was released?

Did you have negative feelings about WoW prior to this expansion?

How much time have you put into WoW prior to this expansion?

Did you already have a low opinion of Blizzard's expansion formula?

My contention is:

If, prior to Pandaria, you already were burnt out on WoW, or tired of its mechanics or graphics....in essence, if prior to Pandaria you already had a low opinion of the game - why would you think Pandaria might change all that? It is still WoW, a game which you new prior whether you liked or disliked. This wasn't 'remaking' the game for those who didn't like it, it was 'expanding' the game for people who DO like it.

I tend to discount "Reviews" of expansions of a game you already dislike. They seem to be pre-loaded with a negative opinion.

I don't believe I've ever seen someone who hated a game, the game 'expands' that hated game, and all of a sudden the game is great. If you take a turd and increase its size by 20%, it doesn't become chocolate cake. But it seems like that's what some people 'returning' to WoW for this expansion think.

For those that like WoW - this is taking a piece of chocolate cake and making it 20% bigger.

And for those that like WoW, but are leary of change and obsessively attached to virtual achievements, some of them, took a bite of chocolate cake and tasted a turd.

In my opinion, we learn the most about an expansion from those who share our own opinion, for they will highlight the aspects we have in common. You can also learn a lot from someone who liked the game but hates the changes, for they can point out clearer than others what exactly is different.

But we learn virtually notihing from someone who already hated a game and then write a review of an expansion as if they are surprised that they still hate the game or as if they expected a different game from what they played before.

Expansion 'expand' an existing game. They do not change it into a different one.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by cinos

Yay for game hopping! :D

Play what you like, the days of sticking to one game only are long past.

I agree with this.  Let's stop the "this game is better than this game" hyperbole arguments and just enjoy whatever game you want at any given time.  Plenty out there to do that with and plenty more in the pipeline.  I know I'm going to change my viewpoint as I am taking a break from GW2 and am enjoying WoW:MoP.  Next week, I'll hop back into Lotro for the Rohan expansion and enjoy that and eventually hop back to GW2 to enjoy the Holiday patch and so on and so forth with a handful of other MMOs. 

If anything, the only issue I have with trying to hop is paying a sub fee for a few of the games just to enjoy a week or 2 of new content.  I much prefer Lotro's hybrid system or GW2s buy to play.   Hopefully TSW goes hybrid soon.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

That's why MoP was the first WoW expansion I didnt even buy. I already knew for a fact that there's nothing new to go back to. After 15 minutes of play it's just exactly the same old, and after getting to max level you jump into the same old treadmill. I have lost my faith in Blizzard's ability to add anything actually new stuff in their games, except for the tweaks and apparently some minigames (which is awesome, but not enough to go back to).

Dont get me wrong though, I think WoW is an awesome game, one of the best mmorpgs, and certainly was the best back in the day. It's just when something refuses to evolve, it will get boring, and it will stay boring. It's not helping that everything is trivialized in the game and automatized (afterall it's a mmorpg and not some serverless mix-mess-community lobby MOBA).

I almost envy people who are still having fun in WoW, or who are new to the game, all the best for them :)

To be honest, I sort of agree with every word you said, down to the last sentence.  I do envy them.  But, in my opinion, I see the game and the development of it for what it truely is:  Other MMOs come and go, but excel in one or two things.  Blizzard tries to duplicate this, if their outdated technology allows them to.  Sometimes they succeed, most of the time they fail.  Either way, they are always a few years behind the curve in terms of the hopping on the bandwagon of what the MMO community wants(if they ever listen at all...) and fail to be innovative.  In my opinion, their development minds say "We know better than you, and we'll see we listen to your feedback, but we really think XYZ".  Just read the forums.  People post many things about this and that, what works and doesnt.  They say its working as intended, they feel this way and that.  Take a dev like Trion.  They listen and pump out awsome endgame features, systems, and content.  If blizzard adopted that methodology, Id return in a second.  But they wont.  They are holier than though, thus their game remains static and in a glimmer of its former glory.  I look to greener pastures.  Right now its GW2.  With many hours of play time in already, and many to come, it is the game for me.  Once Im done with it, I am probably done with all MMOs until MAYBE titan.  Thats a big maybe.

Blizzard has all the right to be 'holier than thou'. They have 9+ million players and now 10+ after MOP. For so many years it stayed at 11 and 12 million mark.

So yes a company that is capable of keeping so many people playing for such a long time does have all the right to tell you that 'they know better'. It might hurt your ego but they are right. WOW hasbeen  wrecking every other MMO for years holding number one spot. I don't see the reason why they should bend to every demand of players. And not that they don't listen. A lot of changes have been amde to WOW in accordance with what majority wanted.

WOW is not some failed MMO where you can claim that Blizzard doesn't know what it is doing.

Originally posted by elocke

I agree with this.  Let's stop the "this game is better than this game" hyperbole arguments and just enjoy whatever game you want at any given time.  Plenty out there to do that with and plenty more in the pipeline.  I know I'm going to change my viewpoint as I am taking a break from GW2 and am enjoying WoW:MoP.  Next week, I'll hop back into Lotro for the Rohan expansion and enjoy that and eventually hop back to GW2 to enjoy the Holiday patch and so on and so forth with a handful of other MMOs. 

If anything, the only issue I have with trying to hop is paying a sub fee for a few of the games just to enjoy a week or 2 of new content.  I much prefer Lotro's hybrid system or GW2s buy to play.   Hopefully TSW goes hybrid soon.

Its Vigo the carpathian again!

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Oh look, another fresh, new topic posted on MMORPG.com

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Lydon
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    This post doesn't make sense. Anyone could reasonably assume GW2 was prepared for 2M players. In fact, I'd go so far as they were wishing for 3 or 4 million. They had 1M pre purch, and another in release sales, Sorry, they didn't shut down sales becuase of their overwhelming success and unpredictable numbers.  In fact, they didn't shut down sales at all. Only their own sales. The reason GW2 sales were shut down ONLY from ANET's own site, was because ANET needed to divert all of it's internal resourses to handle it's problematic launch and all the issues surrounding the 1st week. 

This post doesn't make any sense either. They were shut down only from ANet's own site because the physical copies had already been shipped around the world. What were they supposed to do? Attempt to force retailers to stop selling them?

If "anyone could reasonably assume GW2 was prepared for 2M players" then by your own logic ANet would have been prepared for at least that number of people playing the game in the first week of its existence and wouldn't have experienced the few issues that they did...

GW2 official site wasn't the only one selling digital copies. You could buy from other authorized sites too. So i really doubt that when Anet stopped selling GW2 it made a huge stall in sales for those few days.

Point in fact you could not purchase from other sites.  I tried purchasing a digi copy from Amazon when this was going on, just to see what was happening, and I couldnt.  It told me digi copies were temp out of stock.  You had to go to a store to get it.  I know, because a RL friend of mine tried going to guildwars 2 site, amazon, and best buy...couldn't get a copy online.

Only brick and morders had copies, if they had copies in stock.

No...the temp shutdown was to keep servers from filling up more than it could handle.  So many zones in overflow(into level 30 and 40) WvW queues out the eyeballs, etc.  True, there were and are lots of bugs, but what game at launch didnt have them?  Every game has it.  Every..game.  But the shutdown was not because of bugs, otherwise they would have shut them down again because of run of the mill problems that GW2 is currently experiencing(like everygame) with bots, exploits, gold selling etc.

Not true. I Pre Purhcased. I had a friend who bought post release, he couldn't get it direct since they stopped selling so he went to Amazon and bought it there. Amazon didn't stop selling GW2.

I am certain, I could get a copy of his digital reciept from Amazon if I asked him for it. But I won't because I know he was away on business during the initial weekend and bought when he got back. Since we were in the game, I kinda believe him. 

Also, selling out of digital copies, (not sure how that is possible) is a different story than shutting off sales.

Aside from that, can you show soem evidence of why you say ANET discontinued it's sales?

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Angry Birds Space is boring... uninstalled, going back to Fruit Ninja...
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Blizzard has all the right to be 'holier than thou'. They have 9+ million players and now 10+ after MOP. For so many years it stayed at 11 and 12 million mark.

So yes a company that is capable of keeping so many people playing for such a long time does have all the right to tell you that 'they know better'. It might hurt your ego but they are right. WOW hasbeen  wrecking every other MMO for years holding number one spot. I don't see the reason why they should bend to every demand of players. And not that they don't listen. A lot of changes have been amde to WOW in accordance with what majority wanted.

WOW is not some failed MMO where you can claim that Blizzard doesn't know what it is doing.

I would never use that kind of reasoning

Everquest was the #1 Westerm mmo for 5 years -  from 1999 thru 2004

more subs does not mean "they know better"

many retail mmos released during that 5 year timespan but none had the success of EQ

until Blizzard grabbed a bigger audience

Anarchy Online

Asherons Call

City of Heroes

Dark Age of Camelot 

Earth & Beyond

Eve Online

Final Fantasy XI

Horizons (now called Isitaria)

Lineage II

Shadowbane

Star Wars Galaxies

Originally posted by Nadia

many retail mmos released during that 5 year timespan but none had the success of EQ

Anarchy Online

Asherons Call

City of Heroes

Dark Age of Camelot 

Earth & Beyond

Eve Online

Final Fantasy XI

Lineage II

Shadowbane

Star Wars Galaxies

Honestly, i do believe that having largest number of subs do mean they know better and know what they are doing. This become even more clear 'in your face' truth when you see new MMOS struggling to stay afloat. When companies struggle to keep few thousand happy, WOW has managed to keep millions.

The day a MMO is capable of keeping such a huge sub base for years they are free to claim the same. 

And by 'better' i mean they know better how to run their business. And it would be foolish to question that given the success they had over years.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

It almost sounds like you think that it's actually the same people playing. I knew 30+ people in real life, in person, when counting relatives etc, who played WoW one to two years after it launched. After Cataclysm incident I dont know anyone, including my self. Not a single person of that big bunch, and most of the people even played through TBC too. None of them play now, at least that I know of.

Just saying, the game focuses A LOT more in entry power than staying power. It's not a bad thing at all in a business sense. I doubt not many are denying that Blizzard does not know what they are doing, they know exactly what to do in order to make money and bring in new customers. Many people simply would wish that they actually catered to the older customers of theirs even if it's not the best method of making money.

Oh and everyone talking about WoW can stop bringing numbers like 10+ million subscribers when comparing to other games in the genre, since we all know most of those numbers comes from the corners of the world where the competition is not even released. I dont care how many people play in China, I dont play there, and none of the people who visit this forum either. There could be Chinese mmorpg in China that is not released anywhere else and it had 50+ million customers, do I think it's the best mmorpg in the world now? No, no I dont.

Anarchy Online

Asherons Call

City of Heroes

Dark Age of Camelot 

Earth & Beyond

Eve Online

Final Fantasy XI

Lineage II

Shadowbane

Star Wars Galaxies

Honestly, i do believe that having largest number of subs do mean they know betetr and know what they are doing. This become even more clear 'in your face' truth when you see new MMOS struggling to stay afloat. When companies struggle to keep few thousand happy, WOW has managed to keep millions.

The day a MMO is capable of keeping such a huge sub base for years they are free to claim the same. 

Or do you not think that Blizzard came into the MMO market at the right time, had the right pitch, and took the best parts of the current games, and formed their own.  From that it was hook line and sinker.  Now, Do you really think that people believe the combat in WoW is better than, say Tera?  Or the leveling world is more engaging than a Rift or GW2?  Do people really believe that in the key aspects of an MMO, WoW just does it better?  Or is it these simple truths:

-Nostalgia

-Tima already invested

-Friends playing(playing mostly for the above two reasons).

It almost sounds like you think that it's actually the same people playing. I knew 30+ people in real life, in person, when counting relatives etc, who played WoW one to two years after it launched. After Cataclysm incident I dont know anyone, including my self. Not a single person of that big bunch, and most of the people even played through TBC too. None of them play now, at least that I know of.

Just saying, the game focuses A LOT more in entry power than staying power. It's not a bad thing at all in a business sense. I doubt not many are denying that Blizzard does not know what they are doing, they know exactly what to do in order to make money and bring in new customers. Many people simply would wish that they actually catered to the older customers of theirs even if it's not the best method of making money.

Oh and everyone talking about WoW can stop bringing numbers like 10+ million subscribers when comparing to other games in the genre, since we all know most of those numbers comes from the corners of the world where the competition is not even released. I dont care how many people play in China, I dont play there, and none of the people who visit this forum either. There could be Chinese mmorpg in China that is not released anywhere else and it had 50+ million customers, do I think it's the best mmorpg in the world now? No, no I dont.

Let us say even if it is not the same players (even though i never implied that) fact is that WOW has done something amazing. new or old, i can't think of any other MMO in P 2P category which has managed to keep such a huge player base for years.

If i start believing these forums WOW would have shut down a long time ago.

Also, if there is no compeititon in asian market doesn't mean WOW success doesn't mean anything. And not that other MMOS haven't tried. Aion, Warhammer Online now GW2 is planning to release in china.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

Now now, be polite. /wink

Or do you not think that Blizzard came into the MMO market at the right time, had the right pitch, and took the best parts of the current games, and formed their own.  From that it was hook line and sinker.  Now, Do you really think that people believe the combat in WoW is better than, say Tera?  Or the leveling world is more engaging than a Rift or GW2?  Do people really believe that in the key aspects of an MMO, WoW just does it better?  Or is it these simple truths:

-Nostalgia

-Tima already invested

Entering in MMO market at right time is vital but no matter how much the timing is right and no matter how much money you have spent on advertising. if game is bad it will flop. it is that simple. WOW players are not being forced to play it.

WOW is not the only MMO with 'nostalgia' feeling by the way or the one where people have invested a lot of time. I know a lot of people always try to down play WOW's success but it is like spitting on the moon.

Give credit where credit is due. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Blizzard grew their fanbase but it wasnt just WOW -- it was all their games

both D2 and WC3 were known for selling several million before Blizzard released WOW

why else would D3 sell 10 million in the first two months before a demo was available?

(and I dont count the weekend open beta)

Blizzard had millions of fans from Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft -- before WOW even existed

and Blizzard earned those fans

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Agreed, I like to play one sub game-TSW, and 2 F2P games- Vanguard and Fallen Earth and switch around from there

Blizzard grew their fanbase but it wasnt just WOW -- it was all their games

both D2 and WC3 were known for selling several million before Blizzard released WOW

why else would D3 sell 10 million in the first month before a demo was available?

(and I dont count the weekend open beta)

Blizzard had millions of fans from Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft -- before WOW even existed

and Blizzard earned those fans

And that is what i mean when i said 'Blizzard knows better'..as in how to conduct their business. It is no easy feet to keep such a huge player base because if it was we would have seen a lot more success stories like Blizzard and WOW.

• mmaizemmaize Member Posts: 274

-Nostalgia

-Tima already invested

Entering in MMO market at right time is vital but no matter how much the timing is right and no matter how much money you have spent on advertising. if game is bad it will flop. it is that simple. WOW players are not being forced to play it.

WOW is not the only MMO with 'nostalgia' feeling by the way or the one where people have invested a lot of time. I know a lot of people always try to down play WOW's success but it is like spitting on the moon.

You could scream at a pack of lemmings heading off a cliff for all the good it would do also.  The point being that humans aren't exactly the most embracing of change especially when a significant amount of time has been invested.  So while I can give some credit I mostly just attribute this to the fact that Blizzard capitalized and became the top dog in the market...once that was done it wasn't difficult to maintain because there was virutally no competition and now there has been too much time that has passed where gamers have become indoctrinated (much like a criminal can become institutionalized in a prison because the outside world is too great of a change) and so making a jump means losing everything they spent their time to create only to start again in a world that hasn't been around long enough to prove to them that it has staying power. 

So let's not give too much credit either.  WoW is an old game running on old tech that they just update here and there in terms of content but as was previously stated "expansion" doesn't equate to "new game", it's still the same old same old with a few new additions to an old platform.  Apple has been the trend setter in phones for several years but that doesn't mean it should stay that way if the competition can do it better just because the name "Apple" is on it.

Originally posted by mmaize

-Nostalgia

-Tima already invested

You could scream at a pack of lemmings heading off a cliff for all the good it would do also.  The point being that humans aren't exactly the most embracing of change especially when a significant amount of time has been invested.  So while I can give some credit I mostly just attribute this to the fact that Blizzard capitalized and became the top dog in the market...once that was done it wasn't difficult to maintain because there was virutally no competition and now there has been too much time that has passed where gamers have become indoctrinated (much like a criminal can become institutionalized in a prison because the outside world is too great of a change) and so making a jump means losing everything they spent their time to create only to start again in a world that hasn't been around long enough to prove to them that it has staying power. 

So let's not give too much credit either.  WoW is an old game running on old tech that they just update here and there in terms of content but as was previously stated "expansion" doesn't equate to "new game", it's still the same old same old with a few new additions to an old platform.  Apple has been the trend setter in phones for several years but that doesn't mean it should stay that way if the competition can do it better just because the name "Apple" is on it.

No APPLE shouldn't stay on top only because it is apple but because consumer like APPLE products. Now we can all turn our heads away with nose pointed towards the ceiling but that is how it is. Customers like something, there is demand for the product and that product keeps selling years after years.

If WOW wasn't a fun game it wouldn't stay on top for 8 years. it would fade away and no one would even talk about it. It has happened to lot of MMOS before and it could have hapened to WOW but it didn't. 

Brand loyalty only goes so far. If you make shitty product you will fail. Brand loyality certainly didn't help FFXIV because well it has a FF tag on it.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

Now now, be polite. /wink

Ah, you got me...image

Sometimes it's very difficult with this crowd.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180

Claiming GW2 does a lot of things better is a subjective statement. I did try it - don't think the same.This is literally 1st  leaving thread I encountered since the release of MoP when in the same time after the GW2 release every single thread on live feed was "OMG GW2 SUXXXXX - GOING BACK TO -insert game-".

MoP was so far very enjoyable for me and is better than Cataclysm in every way possible. It actually has some degree of exploration and rewarding that (rare elites, buried treasures, hidden dailies or hidden chests). No, I do not suffer from "rose glasses" syndrom. Cata butchered subs base and chances are that if MoP released after WotLK we wouldn't see the "3 million sub" drop. People are slowly returning, word of mouth will slowly spread. The only thing that people are unhappy about are large amount of dailies. Everyone agrees on that.

Anyway, I'm glad you found your game but your post would be much more credible without "GW2 is better." For some, it isn't.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Well, whatever the case, Blizzard thanks you for doing business with them.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Both games are mind numbing boring.

I made the mistake to go back to WoW after being bored to death with GW2, only to promptly cancel my WoW account again. GW2 has taught me that MMOs as they are now are just terrible and it will help me save my money from new releases until the EXACT MMO that I want is released.

I will never preorder another MMO for the rest of my life, I have been burned way to much the last few years, and this includes MoP.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Praetalus

I am so happy to hear this... now I can sleep tonight! We, over in WoW were just waiting for you to leave. You should have seen the party!

Seriously, I'm playing both right now. I don't understand why some of you have to pick a side and be so damn gung ho. 

It is because in the WoW world, when you merely mention another game in any of the wow-fanboi sites, like mmochamp, people jump all over you and troll you.  How dare someone say that another game is going to be good, or is good.  WoW must be the end all be all, according to the 10 million nostalgic players.

This is the exact reason why The WoW community and it's game has the most hatred/dislike/bashing/etc. I honestly do not feel bad for them either. Their continued lashing out of newer games and of course their "fail" junk, has made them the worst in all of the MMO scene.

Truthfully, I would rather them stay in their own game and leave the others alone. I know for one that when I do play play an mmo and a Wow kid chants his chants, I /block them right off. (We all know who they are because the first thing out of their mouth is "This sucks, WoW is better".)

I'm not bashing or trolling the WoW community. I'm just pointing out the factors you have made for yourselves. Had you chosen to be better people and a better community, you might have an ounce of respect from those of us that do not play your game. That is something to think about when you do play others games. :)

This discussion has been closed.