Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will WoW ever get a graphics update? It needs one

13»

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

WoW doesn't have anything in it that isn't done better by another game.

WoW does transmogrification better than any other game. They have so many armor sets that it works perfect for them and gives players a great reason to do the old raids.

wow has a great variety of armor choices - true

but the method of appearance gear  (transmogrification) is less intuitive than other mmos with that feature

(EQ2, LOTRO, RIFT)

in other mmos, you have appearance gear slots to determine your looks

no need to visit some npc and/or pay a fee

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Originally posted by Nadia

WoW does transmogrification better than any other game. They have so many armor sets that it works perfect for them and gives players a great reason to do the old raids.

but the method of appearance gear  (transmogrification) is less intuitive than other mmos with that feature

(EQ2, LOTRO, RIFT)

LotRO you have to buy a lot of the cosmetics with real cash and weapons can not be changed.  So each has it's trade off.

Originally posted by Ausare

LotRO you have to buy a lot of the cosmetics with real cash and weapons can not be changed.  So each has it's trade off.

i dont think RIFT has any cosmetics on their store

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

WoW's graphics engine is so old it's beyond salvation. It has zero scalability too, so they'll need to remake everything. Everything is just paint on flat surfaces instead of high polygon high quality models. It suits their player model, you can play the game on a toaster and you probably won't need to upgrade a single piece of hardware until their die on their own.

It's like those arcade games we were playing as kids, we were nostalgic of them but they really look shitty on any screen bigger than a smartphone. WoW on any screen bigger than 15" and it's fugly and painful to look at.

Wish it had aged more gracefully (ie they had build some scalability into it), but it's more like it was left to rott.

i dont think RIFT has any cosmetics on their store

RIFT needed to do something....their models are crap.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    Don't foget that engine is really old now, it is very limited today and don't expect wonders.

Updating an old engine into a new one is far from impossible, many game engines have been severly updated with the years.

But as I see it is it more likely that Blizzard also will revamp the graphically updated game and cal it "WoW 2", it would also give them the chanse to change whatever they want with the game without upsetting people too much and mean they might get many old players that quit long ago to buy a new box and give the game a new chanse.

It would of course cost more but I am sure they would earn a lot more as well with it.

Originally posted by Xasapis

WoW's graphics engine is so old it's beyond salvation. It has zero scalability too, so they'll need to remake everything. Everything is just paint on flat surfaces instead of high polygon high quality models. It suits their player model, you can play the game on a toaster and you probably won't need to upgrade a single piece of hardware until their die on their own.

It's like those arcade games we were playing as kids, we were nostalgic of them but they really look shitty on any screen bigger than a smartphone. WoW on any screen bigger than 15" and it's fugly and painful to look at.

Wish it had aged more gracefully (ie they had build some scalability into it), but it's more like it was left to rott.

To each their own.  I think most of the "realistic" graphics look like crap.  Asian anime looking junk.  I rather have WoW with their graphics matching the Warcraft 3 so it looks like I step from one to the other.  I do not play a game to look for the realistic landscapes I go outside for that.  I play a game for the fun.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

They already have newer character models. Like the goblin. Even blood elf look better if you compare it to the first races that was part of vanilla.

I believe the graphics are already improved enough to make more detailed less blocky character models possible. Higher quality and more detail can still continue to be the same original art style. IMO, they just need to do it.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

(EQ2, LOTRO, RIFT)

I disagree. Many WoW players had kept their old armor sets that they were very proud of in their storage. Transmogrification allows them to wear that armor that they worked hard to get.  

I see several games with Apearance gear. You go to the vender or the ingame cash shop and buy it. But WoW is the only game with transmogrification. Where you can change the apearance of your current gear to look like the gear that you had to go into a dungeon or raid and aquire.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Blizzard is more worried about fluid animations than gimmick personalizations.

I agree with this for the most part.  WoW's controls are the smoothest of all mmorpgs with the third person/W,A,S,D type mechanics.  GW2 is definitely great, much better then swtor, warhammer, and Aion, but they are still not at the same level of WoW.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

(EQ2, LOTRO, RIFT)

I disagree. Many WoW players had kept their old armor sets that they were very proud of in their storage. Transmogrification allows them to wear that armor that they worked hard to get.  

I see several games with Apearance gear. You go to the vender or the ingame cash shop and buy it. But WoW is the only game with transmogrification. Where you can change the apearance of your current gear to look like the gear that you had to go into a dungeon or raid and aquire.

Anarchy Online, LotRO, EQ2, Rift, etc. make it very easy to look how you want with an appearance tab. Blizzard, ironically since they're the poster child for so-easy-a-child-could do-it-and-children-in-fact-do, had to make something simple a complicated chore.

Appearance gear is you paying money in a cash shop or to a vender and buy gear.

Appearance gear may be great for other games but Transmogrification is perfect for WoW. Way to many players had their old armor sets in their banks collecting dusts and Transmogrification rewards them with the ability to wear that gear again with the stats of their current gear.

Appearance gear is you paying money in a cash shop or to a vender and buy gear.

Appearance gear may be great for other games but Transmogrification is perfect for WoW. Way to many players had their old armor sets in their banks collecting dusts and Transmogrification rewards them with the ability to wear that gear again with the stats of their current gear.

same applies for other mmos

Appearance slots allows you to wear whatever gear you like

- including old armor sets, old quest gear

as i mentioned earlier, RIFT has no cash shop

i was constantly reviewing my quest rewards for "looks"

to decide if i wanted the quest gear shown on my character or not

• sumfoolsumfool Member UncommonPosts: 13

wow looks so fugly lol

its funny people pay for that crap when games like tera online and secret world are around looking so much nicer 

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    It can be done but that would require alot of work to their engine. I think they'd like to spend that time on their new mmoprg "Titan".

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I quit Wow after my first 85 because i was just bored of it, but i still think it looks good til this day :/ stop worrying about graphics and enjoy the well done aesthetics and gameplay.

If it bugs you that much, move on, the games old...

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by azrael466

There are rumors going around that they're going to give all the races a model update to match the increased polygon count that pandarian models have.

Not sure if its been confirmed, but there's that. Full game graphical update? don't count on it.

Why you still waiting for The Secret World? It's been out months?

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365
    Originally posted by mark2123
    Originally posted by azrael466

There are rumors going around that they're going to give all the races a model update to match the increased polygon count that pandarian models have.

Not sure if its been confirmed, but there's that. Full game graphical update? don't count on it.

Why you still waiting for The Secret World? It's been out months?

simply put? too lazy to change my  signature.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.