Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Next MMO to shut down is...

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

After swtor goes free to paly and nobody comes back to play it, it will be the next to go.  I can remember all the talk look we got 1.4, and they did and you know what not even a bounce on torstatus.net they are still bleading subs.

Free to play is not going to fix swtor, you got to fix the game first, that being said they will have to kill this game by January.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by grimal
    Mortal Online?

I picked STO, then I remembered recently I did A stock search to see how much this company is worth ATM. They losed more money thie year then the whole starvault company is worth. Right now its sitting on a little over 200k Value. So this would be my next guess but it might take 6+ months depending on how long they drag it out.

STO went F2P first though. That usually means the death of games regardless of what people say. 

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid

I know ppl dont like SWTOR, but voting that it will be shut down next shows a huge lack of intellect or reasoning. Alot of people are still playing it and game is very active everytime I sign on. We'll see what happens when the F2P kicks in.I voted for Vanguard as that games been out along time and it doesnt seem to be very active.***Satele Shan attempts to move back in with the Raving Rabbid, but catches him in bed with Elara Dorne!!** 

Now why can't we 'like' posts here? This site seriously needs some Like buttons :P

Unless people have left their brains on the toilet, it's beyond baffling to think that MMO's like SWTOR - or Rift or Aion for that matter - would be the next MMO to shut down. In the case of SWTOR, that kinda thinking isn't common sense, but simply wishful thinking. Something that haters and dislikers of that game would really, really want to happen, but not something they'd bet their 1,000 dollars on if they had it.

As for Vanguard, I don't think it'd be next to shut down either, not with the F2P move and sudden dev love and attention that it gained this year.
  • GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid

I know ppl dont like SWTOR, but voting that it will be shut down next shows a huge lack of intellect or reasoning. Alot of people are still playing it and game is very active everytime I sign on. We'll see what happens when the F2P kicks in.

I voted for Vanguard as that games been out along time and it doesnt seem to be very active.

***Satele Shan attempts to move back in with the Raving Rabbid, but catches him in bed with Elara Dorne!!**

Now why can't we 'like' posts here? This site seriously needs some Like buttons :P

Unless people have left their brains on the toilet, it's beyond baffling to think that MMO's like SWTOR - or Rift or Aion for that matter - would be the next MMO to shut down. In the case of SWTOR, that kinda thinking isn't common sense, but simply wishful thinking. Something that haters and dislikers of that game would really, really want to happen, but not something they'd bet their 1,000 dollars on if they had it.

As for Vanguard, I don't think it'd be next to shut down either, not with the F2P move and sudden dev love and attention that it gained this year.

Your premise is not accurate, at least in my case.

I chose SWTOR only for the fact that EA is running things there and I believe with every fiber of my being that they will do something stupid.

Something along the lines of charging their subs for the planet Makeb. Subs should get everything in the game with their subscription but EA will try and squeeze every penny from that disaster.

This will alienate that many more paying subscribers who will drop to F2P.

Other F2Pers will simpy pay for the story and not contribute anything to the cofers financially. After all, when the story is completed it is a pretty shallow game at the end.

Just a gut feeling and as always I could be completely wrong. Time will tell.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Following the closure of City of Heroes which MMO do you reckon most likely to shut down next?

I would never make such guesses and would never respond. Any game is loved by somebody and I'm actually never happy if some server closes. No matter how much i might dislike some game. You I guess have some morbid attraction to others failures.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Following the closure of City of Heroes which MMO do you reckon most likely to shut down next?

I would never make such guesses and would never respond. Any game is loved by somebody and I'm actually never happy if some server closes. No matter how much i might dislike some game. You I guess have some morbid attraction to others failures.

Absolutely, it's human nature for folks to gloat over other's misfortunes.

Much of our humor is based on the pain of others, I'm sure there's some sort of study out there why, but I suppose its a combination of "better ye than me" and the satisfaction of knowing they were "right" in their choices.

Back on topic, I figure if DF:UW actually releases in the next few months they'll pull the plug on the original title soon after.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I think planetside and darkfall. With both darkfall unholy wars and planetside 2 coming out. I also think with EAs woes, we will probably see uo, daoc & war shut down.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Weretigar
    Originally posted by grimal
    Mortal Online?

I picked STO, then I remembered recently I did A stock search to see how much this company is worth ATM. They losed more money thie year then the whole starvault company is worth. Right now its sitting on a little over 200k Value. So this would be my next guess but it might take 6+ months depending on how long they drag it out.

STO went F2P first though. That usually means the death of games regardless of what people say. 

I don't think STO can do as badly as Mortals Online. At all.

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    City Of Heroes is actually one that is really shutting down was suprised not to see it up there.
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by ChrisReitz
    City Of Heroes is actually one that is really shutting down was suprised not to see it up there.

The OP is asking, After CoH which do you think will close down.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz
    Originally posted by ChrisReitz

The OP is asking, After CoH which do you think will close down.

Yes, as what is the point in City of heroes being there, if it was it win the poll and no other game would get a vote!  it also interesting to see which MMOs people think likely to shut down, and if indeed it comes true. 

Too many time get told that City of Heroes or SWG were expected to shut down.

If any MMO was going to shut down last year I would have thought it would be Vanguard, over SWG, and it still is as running on only 2 servers, and mostly both are dead still. With its conversion to F2P, and more attention (not much but more than waht it was getting - nothing), and it yet to transition to PSS1, I do not see it shutting down anytime soon, but I think Planetside will not stay around much after PS2 is released.

Aion is the least voted but that has a high chance of closing to EU and NA because that is how NC Soft works, although shutting down overall everywhere all around the world, it probably will not happen

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Warhammer Online. All other on your list are unlikely to shut down, either because they are too new or have recently, or going to, go F2P. Warhammer Online is one of the few big IP MMO's which has shrunk to almost nothing and no plans to go F2P so most likely they are just keeping it alive for the very small profits it is making but that wont last for long.
    Originally posted by Yamota
     or have recently, or going to, go F2P.

It did not stop City of heroes being shut down.

Aion is next in line as 1) it by NC Soft who shut down COH and 2) getting to be similar timeframe of F2P that City of Heroes was. It is doing well in Asia but no so much in EU and NA, and the latter 2 will get shut down at least.

SWTOR will only survive if it brings in millions and they get at least the equivalent of 500K subs from them all. Otherrwise it may get shut down, for a project or projects that will get them their money back faster. SWTOR probably lost a few votes because people think it is new, but due it being a financial distater it is more on the rocks than anything. F2P and the attitude of the devs does not look like it will save it.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Aion is next in line as 1) it by NC Soft who shut down COH and 2) getting to be similar timeframe of F2P that City of Heroes was. It is doing well in Asia but no so much in EU and NA, and the latter 2 will get shut down at least.

SWTOR will only survive if it brings in millions and they get at least the equivalent of 500K subs from them all. Otherrwise it may get shut down, for a project or projects that will get them their money back faster. SWTOR probably lost a few votes because people think it is new, but due it being a financial distater it is more on the rocks than anything. F2P and the attitude of the devs does not look like it will save it.

City of heroes is 8 years old and was likely losing subs even before F2P conversion. And NCSOFT is less leniant than say SOE when it comes to keeping less profitable MMOS going.

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159
    I'd  say either Vanguard or Anarchy Online, both of which are literally on their last leg at the moment and fading fast.
    Originally posted by halflife25

City of heroes is 8 years old and was likely losing subs even before F2P conversion. And NCSOFT is less leniant than say SOE when it comes to keeping less profitable MMOS going.

If that was the case, then it would have been better all round to have shut down COH instead of going F2P. it staying active on F2P for a year is pathetic, they should always look to at least 3 years when converting, as it giave a false sense of security. Now you are left wondering how long a game will last as F2P. The main point being F2P does not save anything, and SWTOR is still bleeding subs now, and probably faster than COH was, despite it being newer, as SWTOR is more of a single player game with multiplayer than a $15 P2P MMO, COH was worth the fee, SWTOR is not

• Aimee46Aimee46 Member Posts: 11
    Aion will not likely shut down soon since its not of NcSoft anymore (gameforge in europe). Perhaps NcSoft will stop to support it. Missing in the options to choose is WoW. If you listen carefully to Blizzard they prefer to shut it down than to make it f2p. Since MoP box sales in Europe are not good compared to GW2 (Gw2 still sells more copies than MoP, even after 6 weeks)., and the pricedrop of MoP recently seen in several shopchains (from 35 to 20 euro, Cata ended up in the 5 euro basket or buy the whole WoW rataplan for 25 euro including MoP). Thats why I voted for "other".

Playing: GW2 & Tera.
    Played: Lotro, Lineage, Lineage2, GW1, WoW, CoHV, Tabula Rasa, AoC, Aion, Rift, Allods and several other f2p but of minor importance

Originally posted by quasar941
    I'd  say either Vanguard or Anarchy Online, both of which are literally on their last leg at the moment and fading fast.

Vanguard is not on its last legss, it was between 2009-2011, but since last year it has been given a new lease of life, recently gone F2P, getting more attention from the devs, and will be getting more attention from PSS1 (as long as they shape up) If SWG was not shut down, I bet Vanguard would have instead. I do not see Vangurad shutting down until EQnext is released, and that is only if this "Rebirth" does not work.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/147/feature/6764/Vanguards-History-to-Now.html

Rebirth (2012-Present)

Five years on from a disastrous launch, Vanguard was still clinging to life, and the free-to-play model was finally and graciously implemented with the game. Introducing more emphasis on design, and with Brad McQuaid reinstated to the game's development team, it seems that SOE have taken the decision to give the game one more shot at life. Numbers have since shot up, and the world, once sparsely populated, has received a boon of new players flooding back.

Whether or not this conversion will entirely save Vanguard remains to be seen, but for anyone that follows MMORPGs, you can't help but harbour a lingering feeling of hope. For everyone that played EverQuest this was to be the spiritual successor, the adventure that everyone had waited for for five years. Perhaps now, ten years after launch, we will finally get what we waited for.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

If that was the case, then it would have been better all round to have shut down COH instead of going F2P. it staying active on F2P for a year is pathetic, they should always look to at least 3 years when converting, as it giave a false sense of security. Now you are left wondering how long a game will last as F2P. The main point being F2P does not save anything, and SWTOR is still bleeding subs now, and probably faster than COH was, despite it being newer, as SWTOR is more of a single player game with multiplayer than a $15 P2P MMO, COH was worth the fee, SWTOR is not

That is something we can only know once SWTOR goes F2P. But being a new game i don't think it will shut down any time sooner.

Originally posted by Aimee46
    Aion will not likely shut down soon since its not of NcSoft anymore (gameforge in europe). Perhaps NcSoft will stop to support it. Missing in the options to choose is WoW. If you listen carefully to Blizzard they prefer to shut it down than to make it f2p. Since MoP box sales in Europe are not good compared to GW2 (Gw2 still sells more copies than MoP, even after 6 weeks)., and the pricedrop of MoP recently seen in several shopchains (from 35 to 20 euro, Cata ended up in the 5 euro basket or buy the whole WoW rataplan for 25 euro including MoP). Thats why I voted for "other".

If NcSoft stop to support Aion, so will gameforge

I did not choose WOW, as many more MMOs will shut down before WOW does. It still has more players than GW2, and is still currently the #1 MMO on Xfire despite having a monthly fee and GW2 does not. I play WOW, I do not play GW2, I have not bought MOP as do not need it yet. When I have exhausted all contnet that exists, then I will buy it. You can not comapre expansion sales to a brand new game, because there is no point buying an expansion when you have just started playing it.

That is something we can only know once SWTOR goes F2P. But being a new game i don't think it will shut down any time sooner.

It being a new game will not prevnt its shut down. EA keep saying it needs 500K subs, and the F2P conversion is their attempt to get that to try and save it, but if people quit because they do not want to pay, then they still won't pay in F2P, and will not get their money. F2P will bring more players but I think they will lose more money in F2P than P2P,  I have no plans to sub or buy stuff in the store when it goes F2P

If they brought in content from time to time to add to your characters story, then I would pay to sub, but all that is said to be free, and they have stated they have no more plans to add more story. When it goes F2P I ceratianly will not be giving it any money, as Warzones, Operations and Flashpoints and things you have to pay for, I am not interested in, and neither is a lot of people as if they were they would be paying the monthly fee, and it would not be going F2P.

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210

Warhammer Onnline

BTW something happened at Mythic recently and I have been waiting for it to be posted somewhere so it can be verified for the masses.  I guess it will be longer before they release any information if at all.

Btw oddly the "11th Anniversary with Mythic in 1 Day, 12 Hours, 33 Minutes, and 15 Seconds!" in the header doesn't work wonder if that is intentional or do they really know?

Z.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Dulu

As a beta tester for Vanguard, I have to say I am absolutely amazed that game is still running.

It's simply an inferior version of Everquest - there really is no reason to play it over any of the well known MMO's. The other bad games at least can appeal to Niche markets...

Exactly. And I'd like to point out...that it HAS become a niche market to be the EQ standard mmo. No longer is it enough despite what the posts on these forums claim to be a lobby style dungeon/raid only old quest hub system of gaming. The elitist jerk model of gaming is dying and we're witnessing it's death throws via the cries of the theory crafter raid planners complaining in these very forums about games not being this crappy model of a game. 

• KingMeroKingMero Member Posts: 21
    darkfall:UW will release and shutdown after 2 months
  • LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    I can't help but lol at the people who voted for Guild Wars 2. What planet are they living on?