Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full Loot? 24hr lockouts? Permadeath? Oh.

Comments

• AralvarAralvar Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

Honestly, if you want a Zombie game that does NOT have permadeath then just go to the shops and buy one! There are many available!

Currently the only permadeath Zombie game is DayZ which is currently just a mod that will be turning in to a stand alone product soon. There is also The War Z which will be in alpha soon too, that's 2 games vs LOADS of softcore zombie games currently available.

Without permadeath the whole surivival angle is a giant waste of time.

You people, you just don't understand. How is permadeath the main ingredient in zombie survival? Because DayZ was built like that? I'm pretty sure I can have a nice survival experience without having to lose my stuff every single time. The reason I say "you people", is because you don't seem to realize that a lot pf people want an open world zombie apocalypse/survival game. OMG LEFT 4 DEAD SHOOTIN' ZOMBIES IS JUST WHAT I NEED. Oh wait, "you people" think permadeath is just the only thing you need. I'm tired of fantasy RPGs. All I wanted was a game where I could build a character while having a similar survival aspect in a Zombie Post Apocalyptic world. But instead we either get linear zombie games, or hardcore macho permadeath zombie games. Ever heard of a middle option? Everyone just wants to copy DayZ now.

• ElGuappoElGuappo Member Posts: 94

Ok, you start the game. You create a normal mode character. You play for a while, build the character up a bit, get some decent weapons and kit and all that jazz and have a fine old time. Then you get killed. There's no corpse run like WoW or even UO where you would race back to your corpse before it got looted. You die so that means you lie down for a rest, probably get looted and don't get to play for a day. Currently the cooldown on respawn is 24hours. In my opinion, 10 minutes is pushing it but that's just the CareBear side of me, I guess.

So, a nice fat penalty for dying. Well, that teach me to be a bit more thoughtful and 'suvivalist' about my gameplay. Maybe I can spend some of that 24hr lockout pondering what went wrong... what mistakes I made... where my killer came from. That's what the lockout's for, yeah? Teach you to survive, dammit! Alternately I can go to the shop and buy the in no way unrealistic magic instant respawn potion, as long as I pay for it. Lockout makes a bit more sense now, eh?

Alternately...

You start the game on hardcore. You do whatever the hell you want because there are no consequences. Death is permanent so how much time is the average player going to invest in a character they can completely lose at the drop of the hat? Especially when you consider that when you do die, you get to create another character straight away and start again.

As far as I can see it, normal mode encourages you to spend money for the privilege of basically being penalised for taking the game seriously, hardcore mode encourages you to play like it's Call of Duty.

The ruptured capillaries in your nose belie the clarity of your wisdom.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

So , I wanted to play MMO about survival in apocalyptic zombie world.

But I wanted the gameplay to be like WOW.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Ok a permadeath mode with increased/better drops as a trade-off I can understand.  But does a developer ever really want to force people NOT to play their game?  I mean targeting a niche audience is fine and all, but this just seems so far beyond niche.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I like FFA PvP but never understood the point of full loot and now a 24 hour lockout? Sorry, I play games to have fun not to be like work.

Why can't there be a happy medium between pointless deaths in ThemeParks and this overkill type of death penalties?

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Oh, 24h lockout, really cool idea probably if you play games for a living. For the people who struggle to set up one-two evenings per week away from family, for gaming, not so fun. Doubt they'll have many takers.
  • KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by Yamota

I like FFA PvP but never understood the point of full loot and now a 24 hour lockout? Sorry, I play games to have fun not to be like work.

Why can't there be a happy medium between pointless deaths in ThemeParks and this overkill type of death penalties?

I think one of the issues they're trying to avoid with the lockout is preventing it from being turned into a giant deathmatch game. I think the 24 hour is too harsh though, an hour or two I wouldn't mind so much. A better solution would be a server lockout for X amount of time. That way I can still play my character, but I'm "dead" in that world...temporarily. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the lockout only affect normal mode characters, so no matter how many times a hardcore character dies the player can just keep remaking their character and griefing the server?

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Ok i can get over full loot thing but 24 hour lock out for dying? well no thank you. And i was really looking forward to this game.

Better believe someone that created a topic without actually taking that time instead to read more info about the game then actually read on it urself and leaving a comment like that.

LOGIC

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I understand why people dont like permadeath, I'm showing my age but I was brought up around the amiga years when a lot of games only have one life.  Or if you did die you only have 3 lifes, after which you would have to start from scratch.

infinate re-spawning and small death consequences is a more modern phase of gaming, so the new generation of gamers just dont comprehend permadeath.

But some games coming out now do suggest that permadeath is coming back in fashion.

Usually though I prefer a permadeath game that has no 'softcore' option. 

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Aralvar

Honestly, if you want a Zombie game that does NOT have permadeath then just go to the shops and buy one! There are many available!

Currently the only permadeath Zombie game is DayZ which is currently just a mod that will be turning in to a stand alone product soon. There is also The War Z which will be in alpha soon too, that's 2 games vs LOADS of softcore zombie games currently available.

You people, you just don't understand. How is permadeath the main ingredient in zombie survival? Because DayZ was built like that? I'm pretty sure I can have a nice survival experience without having to lose my stuff every single time. The reason I say "you people", is because you don't seem to realize that a lot pf people want an open world zombie apocalypse/survival game. OMG LEFT 4 DEAD SHOOTIN' ZOMBIES IS JUST WHAT I NEED. Oh wait, "you people" think permadeath is just the only thing you need. I'm tired of fantasy RPGs. All I wanted was a game where I could build a character while having a similar survival aspect in a Zombie Post Apocalyptic world. But instead we either get linear zombie games, or hardcore macho permadeath zombie games. Ever heard of a middle option? Everyone just wants to copy DayZ now.

Yep that DayZ market is really flooded with..................2 games, DayZ and WarZ and WarZ we don't even know what it's actually like because no one can play it.

So "you people" you refer to are people that like DayZ and possibly one other game, you want those games turned in to something they were never built to be.

Hopefully someone makes the game that you crave but you don't need to be so condescending to people that enjoy the permadeath of DayZ, there is nothing macho about permadeath it's just a game mechanic, if I wanted to be macho I would go to the Gym and pump some iron.

• ElGuappoElGuappo Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Onigod
    Ok i can get over full loot thing but 24 hour lock out for dying? well no thank you. And i was really looking forward to this game.

Better believe someone that created a topic without actually taking that time instead to read more info about the game then actually read on it urself and leaving a comment like that.

LOGIC

I did read about the game, Onigod. This is from the WarZ forum as posted by admin...

Main difference between two modes comes at how death of the character is handled. In both modes when you die, you lose your backpack. But in case of Hardcore mode your death will be also permanent for your character - ie character with all of his stats, etc will be deleted. You'll have to create new character and start from the beginning - spawning at initial zones, with all skills/trainings gone, etc.

Normal characters on other hand will be just put into "lockdown" for certain period of time - we're testing how long it'll be, for now that time is set to 24 hours of real world time. Once "revived" your character will be able to continue to play from approximately same location where he died, all hist skills/stats will remain same.

Not sure what I got wrong in my opening post, Onigod. Death comes in two flavours; permanent character deletion or 24 lockout. Either way, you lose your backpack and everything in it.

Maybe you can tell me what where my mistake is?

In addition, the 24 hour lockout can be ended by buying a respawn through the game shop which explains why the mechanic exists in the first place.

Other than that there seems to be very little reason not to play hardcore. If you die you're going to lose everything either way, but with hardcore you can play again straightaway by creating a new character.

The ruptured capillaries in your nose belie the clarity of your wisdom.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

Originally posted by TsaboHavoc
    Stay away from this game dude, ITS NOT FOR YOU,  you already have Wow and lot of other games for careless- easy play -keep ur phat lootz to show ur l33tnees.  U AND THE REST OF THE CAREBEARS FATGEARSATTACHEDRAID! GTFO. ITS A SURVIVAL GAME S U R V I V A L G A ME

Yeah, using magic and swords isn't the same as a zombie apocalypse you fucktard. The point of an MMORPG isn't just to stock up on "phat lewt", play another MMORPG game from Runescape once in a while. I love it when people prove my point: "OMG YOU AREN'T HARDCORE ENOUGH TO BE PLAYIN' DIS". If it were real survival, you would die one time and that would be it. So please stop with this "its reelistik and stuff lol it so hardcore i are a badass". You are a stupid person, who is narrow minded. Go play DayZ for fuck's sake.

try TSW, u cant lose ur PRECIOUS PIXELS stuff there. this is a SURVIVAL game that needs a MECHANIC to make it FEEL LIKE a fking survival game.

Originally posted by Lobotomist

So , I wanted to play MMO about survival in apocalyptic zombie world.

But I wanted the gameplay to be like WOW.

Yes, because every MMORPG is the same game style as WoW. -_-

You know, I'm tired of arguing. If you like this permadeat hcrap, I don't see why DayZ isn't good enough for you (when it becomes standalone I'm wondering what the difference will be between The WarZ and DayZ, but whatever), but that's fine. The WarZ has a non hardcore game mode where you have a 24 hour lockout if you die, but you lose no items, and you get 5 characters. That's fair enough. If you lose all five in a span of 24 hours then maybe you should have to wait a while to get them back. Once again, tired of arguing, sick of permadeath, and sick of people who thinks that i want it to be The WoWZ because I want more RPG elements.

Yep that DayZ market is really flooded with..................2 games, DayZ and WarZ and WarZ we don't even know what it's actually like because no one can play it.

So "you people" you refer to are people that like DayZ and possibly one other game, you want those games turned in to something they were never built to be.

Hopefully someone makes the game that you crave but you don't need to be so condescending to people that enjoy the permadeath of DayZ, there is nothing macho about permadeath it's just a game mechanic, if I wanted to be macho I would go to the Gym and pump some iron.

No, the permadeath thing is starting to take over in a lot of games. There's a game called Apocalypse Not, that's doing the same thing. Which sucks because I was really excited for it when I saw it. I'm aware that Project Zomboid (I think that's what it's called) has something similar to that. Hell, even Minecraft has that. You are right that I have been condescending, and I apologize for that. But you have to realize, a lot of people that enjoy permadeath ARE macho man wannabes. There are people that like it because it makes them feel like a hardcore gamer for playing games like that. It was wrong of me to act like it was the majority, so I do apologize for that. I think I'm just getting pissed off at the "You aren't hardcore enough to play a game with permadeath, go play some little baby game" and "You want RPG elements in a Zombie Survival game? That must mean that you want it to turn into WoW" crowds. Good to see someone who likes these kinds of games, but does not fall into these categories.

Off topic: Your sig is one of the main reasons (besides permadeath) that I dislike DayZ. The community has gradually turned into a bunch of KoS dickheads, so that even people that don't have that mentality are forced to do the same. They have to kill everyone they see because the community has turned everyone so hostile to one another that there's not even a realistic sense of trust to a stranger. (AKA, you don't trust him, but you don't shoot him on sight because of the fact that 70% of people there are bandits). But what could I expect, there's no way to implement real life morality into a game.

Slightly on topic: I feel that it's the permadeath thing that is a factor in causing this kind of thing.

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

keep in mind that the 24-hour lockout mechanic is in testing (like the rest of the game), although the length of time might change a little...or not at all.

with 5 free character slots, you are at liberty to create whatever type of survivalist you like. for normal mode players, it just means you can have a go with another character slot in either normal or hardcore mode. the lockout penalty adds serious weight to the consequences of death, and i welcome the balance it might provide on the mixed servers.  

full loot is a given in a real sandbox survival game, so if you can't live with that, then look elsewhere. however, there are some mechanisms in place where you can safely store gear in a safe zone settlement (amongst you clan perhaps), or in a password protected private stronghold server. 

we'll have to see how this lockout shakes out in real play with a couple hundred players on a server, but i am intrigued at the prospect, and will have both "normal" characters that can advance in skill trees (for as long as they can stay alive each session), and "hardcore" where the consequence of death very closely resembles DayZ...completely starting from scratch. in hardcore mode, remember, you can start over immediately with a new character when you die.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    This game sounds very intriguing. But like many others, I'm skeptical about the whole "pay to test" thing.. Alpha testing is becoming some kind of preorder pr thing, which is a horrible trend from a qa point of view.
  • AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by Biskop
    This game sounds very intriguing. But like many others, I'm skeptical about the whole "pay to test" thing.. Alpha testing is becoming some kind of preorder pr thing, which is a horrible trend from a qa point of view.

Its a worrying trend where the developers don't actually look for playtesting but rather want additional cash from selling beta access.

Then when the game comes out theres bugs and infrastructure problems because nobody actually -tested- the game properly

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125

I don't get the big issue here. It's not like you are really progressing your character all that much. There is a small passive skill tree sure, but it's not like you are going to lose the Sword of  Ultimate Power that you farmed for 10 years. 

You have 5 characters. If you're really all that concerned about getting locked out, make 4 normal characters and 1 Hardcore character. That way, if you get locked out on 4 norms, you're able to play with your HC as much as you want. The normal characters still progress, however the items get lost (no big deal, go find new ones)

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

I remember how "scary" it was to die in the wrong place in EQ1.

Permadeath or a huge death penalty like 24 hour lockout changes the whole game.  While it sucks if you die quickly, while you are alive you fear death and therefore experience more of what the game is intended for.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I wouldn't worry about it. Once they realize how futile it is adding extreme penalties to a game will only hurt their sales they will change their tune.

Whatever you read now will probably change

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by ItsGopher

I don't get the big issue here. It's not like you are really progressing your character all that much. There is a small passive skill tree sure, but it's not like you are going to lose the Sword of  Ultimate Power that you farmed for 10 years. 

You have 5 characters. If you're really all that concerned about getting locked out, make 4 normal characters and 1 Hardcore character. That way, if you get locked out on 4 norms, you're able to play with your HC as much as you want. The normal characters still progress, however the items get lost (no big deal, go find new ones)

This right here.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Yeah, it's strange that some people have to bitch and moan just because one game gets developed that doesn't suit their taste. Instead of thinking "that's different, I'll try it and see if I like it" or "I'll just skip that tyvm" they get this irrestistable urge to visit forums and rant about how much the game sucks just because it doesn't cater to them specifically.

You don't enjoy permadeath? Fine, play some other game. You only have 99% of the market to yourself.

Or, just maybe, you could try the game and see if your prejudices can be challenged and your views altered. I know a lot of people come to enjoy stuff like FFA PVP, full loot, permadeath, etc, once they understand what it adds to the gameplay.

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Biskop

Yeah, it's strange that some people have to bitch and moan just because one game gets developed that doesn't suit their taste. Instead of thinking "that's different, I'll try it and see if I like it" or "I'll just skip that tyvm" they get this irrestistable urge to visit forums and rant about how much the game sucks just because it doesn't cater to them specifically.

You don't enjoy permadeath? Fine, play some other game. You only have 99% of the market to yourself.

Or, just maybe, you could try the game and see if your prejudices can be challenged and your views altered. I know a lot of people come to enjoy stuff like FFA PVP, full loot, permadeath, etc, once they understand what it adds to the gameplay.

well, exactly (to both of these posts). we can only hope some people will either come to understand how this mechanic will actually work or give it a try regardless. but certainly you must realise that reasonable statements usually have no place on these forums. 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by tawess

Well it is to encourage people to go for the hardcore version.

Or to encourage mooe cooperation and less ganking on a whim.

I don't think it will work personally because the ganker, or better yet the players who inhabit these sort of games could care less about ramifications.  Given the choice of staying alive and playing, I believe the average gamer who plays these sort of games will give up any and all means to continue to play, just to be able to gank someone.  I.e. the penalty for ganking could be as severe as you can make it, ranging from perma ban to perma  incarceration and those players will still kill indiscrimently.

Still, I bought the game and will play just to see what its like but I am not holding out much hope for a good community and I fully expect to get ganked on a routine basis.  If thats the case, I will revert to my DAyZ mindset and become a shoot first, greet later kind of dude.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.