Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should Gold Farming be Illegal- a real misdemeanor or felony?

12346»

Comments

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

Want to stop gold farming/selling/hacking of accounts? Follow Entropia's method.

They have a real world currency...PED, exchangeable for real money, you get what you earn/spend. Selling of this currency is fruitless as the amount you can sell it for back to the company equals the same amount, always. Gold sellers would be stupid to try and undersell the company.

Their hack prevention is top-notch, because people have, literally, hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in thier accounts. I know when I played it, I had to go through a rather extensive authentication process to ensure my IP matched my PC identification that I authorized. After the initial log in, as long as you log in from that PC, you have no problems, from a different PC or IP, a ton of problems. IP's change, but as long at it's from the same PC, smooth sailing.

This is the only way to effectively eliminate Gold selling/farming.

Making Gold selling a felony in the States would not amount to much for someone living outside of our country, no government would allow extradition because of virtual world currency fraud.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

NO!!!!!   Please keep the government out of it!  They f things up enough as it is!

If bots bother you so much, leave the game.  Stop relying on granny government to do everything for you.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Misdemeanor is a slap on the wrist... wouldn't stop me regardless.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Gold farming is illegal like ripping a tag off of a pillow is illegal. Really nobody cares.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Felony? Give me a break, talk about first world issues...

If there is slave labor, no matter what kind of labor, obviously that should, and probably is, a felony.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Bla bla bla Eula not a legal bla bla bla US vs EU bla bla bla  Service = time bla bla bla

while anoying due inflation in games, its a very Legal way of doing bussiness in 99% of the word. bla bla bla cant outlaw it. bla bla

• jimmytran80jimmytran80 Member Posts: 10
    I object gold farming in MMO games cause it ruins the fun and pureness of playing game. Where is the old time that we compete for fun lol
  • LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

It's business. Simple as.

Perfectly fine by me.

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364
    Originally posted by Novusod
    Gold farming is illegal like ripping a tag off of a pillow is illegal. Really nobody cares.

Gold Farming isn't illegal. ToS are NOT binding legal contracts. You CANNOT get punished by criminal law by selling, buying, or farming gold. There is a large difference between civil and criminal cases, and ToS are not even completely binding in civil cases.

In other words, you can wipe your butt with the ToS. It's not the same as an actual law which a government will punish you if broken.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Novusod

Governments care. In fact there's a document online of the European Union detailing how to handle Virtual goods and gold farming.

Most gold farming sites evade taxes, and many in Asia use it to launder crime money, yes ppl care.

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

This thread is very revealing of the community. It allows you to see who the ignorant people are who think it's illegal when it's not, who the sane ones might be, but most of all who the crazy people are.

The saddest part is the OP is asking the question.. If it was already illegal, no one would ask this question. The very thread itself is like mockery in the face of the ignorant kids who actually believe it is already illegal. Grow up people, and actually learn about your country's laws and how the world works. We could use less naivety and stunted moral development in our nation's populous.

• OrenshiiOrenshii Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by defector1968
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by defector1968
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Scene in prison:

Melvin to new cellmate: Um. What are you in for?

Juggernaut: Rape, Murder and general mayhem.  What are you in for little man?

Melvin: I hacked my sisters Hello Kitty Online account to steal some pink rabbit ears.

To be fair, in Asia RMT is used to launder money, it's no longer petty crime at that point.

RMT is also used to steal credit card numbers from Westerners.

in most ASIAN countries is a legal bussiness (China, Hong Kong, S. Korea, SIngapure)

Laundering money isn't a legal business anywhere, it's crime money, blood money.

It's used to conceal the origin of the money, and RMT is a decent method to do this.

and in USA, France, UK, Germany dont do laundrey money? And u know the bigest hackers are Russians and Avgans, just for the record

Hehe wonder where youre from...*rolls eyes* ive seen other numbers that show otherwise.  but then again

im sure youre gonna swear by what you said tooth and nail, reguardless.

Destiny has cheated me
    By forcing me to decide upon
    The woman that I idolise
    Or the hands of an automaton

Without these hands I can't complete
    The opera that was captivating her
    But if I keep them, and she marries him
    Then he probably won't want me dating her

• HolySaint333HolySaint333 Member UncommonPosts: 24

This topic makes me think of Aion more then anything... My god do they spam the chat like crazy.

Should it be illegal? Thats a joke of a question imo. The government takes part in illegal activites to begin with all the time. Your telling me you would join them? Thats all I'm hearing. Its personal biased, nothing more. Let them sell. The buyers will never enjoy the game like it is meant and will not ruin the game for anyone else... If you think it does your nothing more then a crybaby.

If you ask my opinion I'd have to wait for my turn! :)

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

I think it is fraud, while there are obviously some serious cases out there where people have paid 3rd party sites ridiculous amount sof money for in game currencies and gotten scammed, it is no different than any other scam whether it be online or in real life.

1.  It is wrong to take advantage of people in that perspective

2. It is against the user agreements of mmo's

3. MMO companies should take it more seriously, as it affects the in game economies in a harmful way and dilutes the game with unwanted bs.

No, the law should not be involved with a video game, HOWEVER...there are those extreme cases where people get scammed large amounts of money...while stupidity on their part for taking part in this, it is still a felony to scheme someone like that.

What I don't understand is how and why it is legal for these 3rd party gold sellers and farmers to have adverts posted on websites and facebook, advertising gold for games like WoW and such...now that in my mind should be illegal.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by abyss404
    While only 5 people have voted so far... I'm still a little concerned that people actually think this is something that should be made illegal. Do you really want MORE government control in your lives? Especially over something so incredibly petty.

The average human takes WAY to much security in being controlled.  I call it teet syndrom.