Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will WoW ever get a graphics update? It needs one

Comments

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Its needed an update since it launched, and has never gotten one. Why would they do it now?

^^^ this ^^^.  That is unless you seriously liked the cartoonish BS in the first place.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Why change what works
  • aerelisaerelis Member Posts: 56
    the engine is way too old, my guess is they will milk this cash cow until "Titan" comes out

Aere Bourne

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by azrael466

Originally posted by azrael466 There are rumors going around that they're going to give all the races a model update to match the increased polygon count that pandarian models have.   Not sure if its been confirmed, but there's that. Full game graphical update? don't count on it.
    They are working on a graphical update for the playable races. Blizzard has said that Dwarves were the first to be finished.   Just dont expect them to be released until the next expansion.
    I don't see why, sure graphical updates are a huge thing worthy of an expansion, but blizzard as never struck me as the type to hold something like that back for an expansion if it was ready almost a full year, unless it's specifically made FOR the expansion; IE, pandarians, professions and the like.
    So they can use the graphic update as a major bullet point for the expansion.

Also, what Blizzard are you talking about? This is Ghostcrawler's WoW now. He doesnt want anything major to be changed or released mid expansion.

Blizzard added transmogrification in between expanions and that was something players wanted for a long time. Same with the raid finder, same with void storage, same with the new darkmoon faire.

As for the OP's question:

While WoW makes some minor changes to it's graphics. Water and trees look far better than they did in vanilla. I am curious if there has ever been a game that changed it's graphics engine. (Which WoW would have to do to make any significan graphic changes to the game)

• stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185
    does not matter cause it has had it's time. improving graphics won't improve gameplay quality.
  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

While WoW makes some minor changes to it's graphics. Water and trees look far better than they did in vanilla. I am curious if there has ever been a game that changed it's graphics engine. (Which WoW would have to do to make any significan graphic changes to the game)

Maybe EQ but I may be wrong.  It's been a very long time since I played that game and if they did it was after I canceled my sub.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

They are working on a graphical update for the playable races. Blizzard has said that Dwarves were the first to be finished.

Just dont expect them to be released until the next expansion.

last i heard, Humans and Orcs are first

source:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2923-Developer-AMA-Live!

I am eagerly awaiting the redesigned Orc and Human models because as said during Gamescom, if these first two are successful then you’ll move onto the other races. My question is thus: do you plan on keeping the animations the same or develop something different?
    Part of doing new models would have to be doing new animations. The pandaren are just capable of so many more evocative or even charming animations than the older models with their older rigs can do. Obviously, that makes the task bigger, but that's what we'd like to do.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

If you skipped WOW or Minecraft solely because of the graphics/low-polys then you did yourself a disservice.

How many people would have skipped EQ for the same reason?  I'll admit I skoffed at their graphics, but I skipped it becasue of teh time commitment required and where I was in life were incompatible.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Impeator101
    I hope by the next expansion the entire World/Models will have a major graphics update. I heard they were gonna redo the race models first but when will they do this? The Character creation system really needs some work. I wanna adjust facial features and want it to be very detailed like Skyrims Character creation, they should have height adjustments to.

why would they need to? would it generate more profits to offset the cost?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Blizzard is more worried about fluid animations than gimmick personalizations.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by nsignific

I'm running everything at max (ultra) and honestly, it looks better than the low poly / high shader GW2 fiasco.

Miles better.

i almost choked with hot chocolate when i read this. 

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

You guys really need to boot up a vanilla client and check how it looks next to MOP/Cata.

They already raised the average texture resolution to what is common with modern MMORPG's, yes check the texture res on new items for WoW and compare it to GW2, you'll find the former higher.

Completely redone their lighting engine, introduced new shading engine, and quite a few post processing effects, what i really miss are some of the more random weather effects that WoW for some reason just abandoned, and turned either to just environment setting, or scripted events.

The big problem with redoing old models is that people have gotten used to how their character looks, allot of them are attached to it and changing that could cause allot of backlash.

The spell effects are quite good, above what most MMO's actually have today.
    And the environments are extremely detailed, the problem is that you can't upgrade just a single thing, because then every thing will feel out of place, Cataclysm actually had allot of texture rework for the older world, but even still if you go into older instances and zone you really see a huge difference from what we've gotten used during WOTLK, and Cataclysm.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by defector1968

To this day it's the only MMO that got the responsiveness of the animations right. The only MMO.

To me, personally, that's enough to put it over the top graphically over basically anything eles.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, Darkfall and Dark Age of Camelot would like a word with you.

Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

Maybe EQ but I may be wrong.  It's been a very long time since I played that game and if they did it was after I canceled my sub.

DAoC did in their third expansion.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

If you skipped WOW or Minecraft solely because of the graphics/low-polys then you did yourself a disservice.

How many people would have skipped EQ for the same reason?

None, because at the time of launch, EQ was at the cutting edge of graphic fidelity, and helped push video card sales.

And nothing large is lost by skipping WoW, as it doesn't have anything in it that isn't done better by another game.

• JenosydeJenosyde Member UncommonPosts: 100
    The Guy above me must be new
    Originally posted by Jenosyde
    The Guy above me must be new

How do you figure? Been here longer than most people on this site.

Originally posted by DavisFlight
    If you skipped WOW or Minecraft solely because of the graphics/low-polys then you did yourself a disservice. How many people would have skipped EQ for the same reason?

None, because at the time of launch, EQ was at the cutting edge of graphic fidelity, and helped push video card sales.

And nothing large is lost by skipping WoW, as it doesn't have anything in it that isn't done better by another game.

WoW does transmogrification better than any other game. They have so many armor sets that it works perfect for them and gives players a great reason to do the old raids.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    New character models would certainly be a good idea. They should be able to afford that...
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by Butcher_Inc
    I'd start playing if they gave it the full overhaul. Shame I sold my account or I'd be teabagging pandas atm.

Shame I sold all my accounts that didn't get banned.  Oh wait, no it isn't.... one of the greatest days of my life, was never logging back into wow.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Thing is its a massive investment and costs endless hours of creating and testing, they do not have the manpower to make it.

Titan is playable a developer already confirmed this.
    Titan is also devouring funds like no tomorow as their most talented developers are working on it.

WoW and bash me for it all you want is in milking stage.
    Cataclysm dint see any contend updates for 10 months...
    MoP created even more boring time sinks then any other expansion namely daily quests.
    Also WoW can be played on a pentium 3 with turbo and mmx technology, changing that will decrease population.

So my honest answer is no WoW will not ever see a engine update or overhaul.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Honestly... no... I do find it a bit bland now after being away so long playing other games, but its something that is difficult to really update or change without a complete graphic system over-haul which isn't likely.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Let''s see if i can recal this correctly (as this is a topic i have been interesetd in)

It seems that most peopel are not asking for a update to graphics but a engine swap and a new art style.. That will most likley nevr happen. as people have pointed out they are constantly working on updating textures and models (this is in part why Cata was kind of half-baked... A lot went in to updating old zones)

As for player models they are re-doing at least all the classic races but IIRC the hard part (apart from actually manhours) is to strike a good middle ground between new and old to try and alienate as few people as possible. They are also redoing animations (and anyone who have seen the monks know that this is not a badc thing) to introduce a bit more variety in to the pool. (i will try to dig up the qoute on that later. It is still early morning here.)

But fact is that the style of WoW will not change, it might look a bit better but it will still have the same style. (just look at the new cinematic for an example)

This have been a good conversation

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Thing is its a massive investment and costs endless hours of creating and testing, they do not have the manpower to make it.

Titan is playable a developer already confirmed this.
    Titan is also devouring funds like no tomorow as their most talented developers are working on it.

WoW and bash me for it all you want is in milking stage.
    Cataclysm dint see any contend updates for 10 months...
    MoP created even more boring time sinks then any other expansion namely daily quests.
    Also WoW can be played on a pentium 3 with turbo and mmx technology, changing that will decrease population.

So my honest answer is no WoW will not ever see a engine update or overhaul.

And you know this how? every body is an expert around here  on internal working of companies.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Nah, I'm pretty sure the problem is that they can't sell it to you which means its going into long-term patch delivery aka they can take their sweet time developing it. But hey, at least we KNOW they're working on and Dwarves are first, followed by Humans and Orcs while everything is, in best case scenario, expected to be out by the next expansion. At least it's not Dance Studio.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

I'm not realy sure what you're on about, WoW looks gorgeous for the most part, even by today's standards

I disagree. WoW's art has always annoyed me on two fronts. First, how incredibly low pixel and low res everything was. Very mushy armor textures. No matter how colorful it was, having all armors just be a flat mesh with blurry edges was really annoying coming from a game like DAoC that had immaculate armor with depth and high resolution.

The second thing is, I generally dislike the huge shoulderpad huge sword art style. I've never found it breathtaking. I thought it was outdated and crappy looking when it launched, and it looks even more so now. Glad they updated the water to be on par with DAoC's 2002 water.

Now Wind Waker... that's a game that did stylized graphics right...