Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you deal with gamers with personal problems?

Comments

• AccountDeleted12341AccountDeleted12341 Member Posts: 351
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    I go to my games annual convention and wait until I am invited to a Q&A session that is being broadcast via a live feed then take the opportunity to call them out by name and mock their issues.

The maturity of a 41 year old child. Classic Internet.

Originally posted by Simphanatic
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

To answer the OP, the only thing I can remember that was a personal problem was a guildie that lost his Dad. We all typed our condolences and continued playing.

The most valuable member of any guild is always named Google, he's also the least used member, especially by the takers.

I hate people like you. You know, the jerks who say "google it" as if that's a real answer.

First off, it takes 1-3 seconds to type the answer yourself, but several minutes to google something. Depending on what it is, it actually can take up to 1+ hours to google a real answer, and that might be a crappy or even wrong answer or game strategy.

Second, google isn't as good as people think it is.

Third, google is only as powerful as people who actually socialize and talk. So by telling someone to "google it", especially on a forum or website like yahoo answers, the person is actually failing basic logic due to the fact answers are HOW one eventually comes to being able to "google it".

Fourth, not everyone is good at googling something. Like I said, it takes almost no effort and seconds to type an answer yourself. It takes minutes to hours to google something, and it may not even be correct. And it takes a huge arrogant a-hole to tell someone to "google it".

Fifth, it is anti-social. Not only is it BETTER to get a real answer due to the speed and accessibility (3 seconds compared to 3 minutes or 3 hours) but you're being social by answering the question.

Sixth, most of the time when people say "google it" or mention the power of google, it is because they don't know the answer. Instead of humbly or intelligently saying "I don't know" or even the anti-social Mime Silence response most people give, these types feel the need to exert their know-it-all attitude by claiming to know the answer when they're entirely ignorant of it. The answer is never "google it"... unless the question is "Are you ignorant or stupid?"

Everyone already knows about google. Telling them to use it is about as intelligent as telling someone to use their keyboard to type.

I've been playing MMORPG's and video games quite hardcore since before Ultima Online, and when I ask a question I either don't want to google it, don't believe it'll help as much, or it's a waste of my time due to the simplicity and speed of which someone could answer in game.

I think that's my biggest pet peave, besides VOIP. People who think "google it" is an actual answer.

If a guild member asks a question, and no one knows the answer, they can all conclude "We don't know." Without any other words or advice, the asker will either google it, ask elsewhere, or not get an answer. If they aren't smart enough to google it (if the answer is on google or easily found on google) then they're so stupid that telling them to "google it" will not help at all. They just won't.

• SabbathSMCSabbathSMC Member Posts: 226
    Sometimes you being the ear or even adviser is exactly what the person needs. You never know exactly whats going on in a person onlines real life. Its a tricky game to play for sure. I would prolly give the best advice i could fo that sittuation and let it go at that. But thats who i am others i can totaly see them  just cutting them off.

played M59,UO,lineage,EQ,Daoc,Entropia,SWG,Horizons,Lineage2.EQ2,Vangaurd,Irth online, DarkFall,Star Trek
    and many others that did not make the cut or i just plain forgetting about.

• SimphanaticSimphanatic Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Disatisfied9

The most valuable member of any guild is always named Google, he's also the least used member, especially by the takers.

I hate people like you. You know, the jerks who say "google it" as if that's a real answer.

And, not to put too fine a point on it, I have no time for people who lack the initiative and resourcefulness to solve life's simplest problems without having their hands held at every turn.

Yeah, I'm judgmental. I'm the kind of person who reads through a game's forum and user guides before I start playing a game. When I have a question, it's definitely easier for me to find an answer via Google (3 minutes tops) than to bother other players with petty questions they've already answered ad nauseum.

I believe new players should be given the tools to succeed, part of that is helping them know where to find answers; so the next time they are stumped and no guildmate is online they know how to handle it.

I most certainly believe that spoonfeeding people only cripples them.

Case in point:

New player asks which mob drops leather. Guild members tell him.

Ten minutes later same player asks which mob drobs a needle and thread. Guild members tell him.

Another ten minutes pass when the new player asks what mobs drop gold darts. Guild members tell him.

And so it continues.

Whereas, had a guildmate given the new member a URL for the games Wiki, the new member would not only know where to look up such items, he'd also discover an entire universe of useful information.

Unlike you, I don't actually hate anyone, but I have absolutely no respect for the intellectually lazy types who haven't the inclination to help themselves. Frankly, they should stay on the Disney site.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

um..,. very carefully. lol

BTW everyone HAS personal problems...

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Online players are no substitute for friends and family.  To those who would counter by saying "what if they have no friends or family?," herein is part of the problem.  All too often, we neglect the relationships we should be maintaining (our real ones) to foster relationships we shouldn't be maintaining (our vicarious ones).  And I'm guilty of it too, at times.

When a player "breaks the fourth wall" to reveal aspects about himself or herself to me, it's a sign that the person is taking the game way, waaaayyy too seriously, and needs some time away.  I tend to listen (because I usually have no choice), and say, "you should take a break and talk to someone."  Because, seriously, I'm not a "someone," and neither are any of you.  We are works of fiction in a shared fiction.

All too often, we prefer the game relationships to real relationships.  We prefer game goals to real goals.  We prefer our game lives to our real lives.  But the game is just an illusion.  The "game community" is an illusion.  And the further we start to vest these virtual things with real value, the more sorely disappointed we are.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

And, not to put too fine a point on it, I have no time for people who lack the initiative and resourcefulness to solve life's simplest problems without having their hands held at every turn.

Yeah, I'm judgmental. I'm the kind of person who reads through a game's forum and user guides before I start playing a game. When I have a question, it's definitely easier for me to find an answer via Google (3 minutes tops) than to bother other players with petty questions they've already answered ad nauseum.

I believe new players should be given the tools to succeed, part of that is helping them know where to find answers; so the next time they are stumped and no guildmate is online they know how to handle it.

Case in point:

Ten minutes later same player asks which mob drobs a needle and thread. Guild members tell him.

Another ten minutes pass when the new player asks what mobs drop gold darts. Guild members tell him.

And so it continues.

Whereas, had a guildmate given the new member a URL for the games Wiki, the new member would not only know where to look up such items, he'd also discover an entire universe of useful information.

Unlike you, I don't actually hate anyone, but I have absolutely no respect for the intellectually lazy types who haven't the inclination to help themselves. Frankly, they should stay on the Disney site.

Giving a link to a game's Wiki or a specific website isn't the same know-it-all psuedo-help jerk attitude of those who say "Google it". That's a huge difference.

You can say "Unlike you, I don't actually hate anyone" but your words are irrelevant. Anyone who knows the answer and tells someone to "Google it" are hating on those people. You didn't say "I refer them to a link to a specific website that can provide them with a database for any item/mob drop they may need." No, I didn't talk about that either. This is all about "google it".

Once again, no one needs your "help" telling them to "google it". You are not helping anyone by saying "google it". You are not enlightening others. You are not teaching a man to fish. You are telling something to someone who already knows about google, because you lack the actual answer to the question but are so arrogant you can't simply say "I don't know" or stay silent.

The reason I hate people like you are because they are inefficient jerks and mostly it's the arrogance. No one needs you to tell them to "google it". Plenty need the link to a SPECIFIC website to find information on a game, or a link to a database website. They do NOT, however, need a link to google.

You have absolutely no respect for anyone. If you can't respect and show kindness and love to a stranger, even one who doesn't "google it" then you don't have respect or love for anyone. I spit on people's integrity who claim to have some when it's not universal. If you don't respect everyone equally, you don't know what respect is. If you don't value all individuals as people equally, you don't value anyone. If you don't love others unconditionally, you have no idea what love is even if you claim you have it for "some people".

Just because "it's the internet dude..." doesn't excuse a change in integrity or moral values. You are who you are, and if you find the need to be a jerk online, you are a jerk in real life too. I've met plenty of people who think they have integrity, but when the @#$# hits the fan, they melt like a child who doesn't know what a value even is.

Not to mention that anytime anyone says "Google it" in a snarky tone, it's not just them being an arrogant know-it-all douchebag who knows nothing... they are perpetrating an internet social norm associated with a negative attitude, disrespectful tone, and destructive belief.

If you really wanted to teach someone to fish, you'd answer their question AND give them a link to a SPECIFIC website. If they are a consistent problem and annoy you simply because they are always asking questions and "too lazy" to "google it", I'd check in the mirror. The only person actually being lazy is you. They're being efficient, not lazy.

After all, what is more lazy? Someone who wants a split-second answer from a DIRECT knowledgable source on the topic, or someone who KNOWS the answer but refuses to type it out of some bitter, skewed perspective that views them as lazy. I hate to break it to you, but laziness can actually be a sign of intelligence. Intelligent, lazy people invent things like the websites that result when you "google it". It's lazier to build a database from a collective community than to look for a single task answer in-game using solo experimentation or hard work simply to calculate the % chance of a drop or what not...every single time you want an item. (The experiment makes the entire process irrelevant, as you'll find the item you need before you have the information required to complete the experiment.)

The only real lazy person is you. Unless of course, you DON'T know the answer. Then you aren't being lazy, you're being an arrogant know-it-all who refuses to humbly admit "I don't know" and feels the self-righteous need to "educate others" by enlightening them to the use of "google". Once again... no one needs you to tell them about google. The sole fact you think people are that stupid, shows your arrogance (I bet you think you can google REALLY well! 3 minutes max!) not to mention that the fact hovers a dark shadow of curiosity over your claim of "I don't hate anyone."

You know what type of people I hate? Unproductive, unrealistic, arrogant, unintelligent, harmful jerks. The types that bring nothing productive into the equation. You know what reveals those types very easily? "Google it." What is productive about telling people about a website EVERYONE knows about? Nothing. If they wanted to google it, they would have.

Wow, you were able to derive all that from this:

"The most valuable member of any guild is always named Google, he's also the least used member, especially by the takers."

Please show me where I ever indicated I'd told someone to "Google it?" Please.

I won't tary off the subject of this thread further by trying to parse that sentence for you.

Do have a very pleasant day and please continue to enjoy your internet expience.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

This:

You have absolutely no respect for anyone. If you can't respect and show kindness and love to a stranger, even one who doesn't "google it" then you don't have respect or love for anyone. I spit on people's integrity who claim to have some when it's not universal. If you don't respect everyone equally, you don't know what respect is. If you don't value all individuals as people equally, you don't value anyone. If you don't love others unconditionally, you have no idea what love is even if you claim you have it for "some people".

is one of the most idiotic things i have read in a while. Now back on topic:

If this was a good friend i am sure we would not be reading about it here. So, if that is so, i would say sorry to hear that and try to move on with the game.  If they persist..then just move on. There are other groups to join.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by Suraknar
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

Lucidia:  "Hi, Guildmate Death_Luv, my name is Lucidia and I'd like to party with you in Wiley Canyon.  Oh, btw, my two-yr-old and I are about to get evicted because we can't pay rent."  

Death_Luv:  "Ah, errr, how bout them Dodgers?"

How do you deal with mmo peeps unloading personal baggage in game?

*[Made up names but the situation is vague copy from a encounter I had yesterday].

Depends on who you are yourself.

Social Person:

You would empathise be understanding, depending on your relationship with that other person you can sympathise and even try to help.

Asocial person:

You would ignore, stay silent, keep it game related in hopes they will stop.

Anti-Social person:

You would Break Party, recall somewhere else, change character, put them on ignore list or mute them or change Voice Channel

Asshole/sociopath:

You would Kill them and loot their stuff.

Seems legit..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

Sorry, OP here saying "Google it"  isn't on topic.  I'm talking about other gamers in guild or party chat talking about breaking up with husbands, my dad abuses my mom, the kids not behaving, having an exam in the morning and wanting to instead be gaming with us, and my most favorite (not) just how drunk they are!  Getting personal.  

Could start another thread about noobs.  Those are the people who ask, "Where's the Black Eye Fish spawn?"  When they could have just looked it up because it's a beginner quest and over 100 guides are avail on it.  As if we guildies have the game's encyclopedia written in our brains.  Not to be confused with an occasional, "Where's ..... spawn," when no info is avail because new game, etc.  Not personal - noobs.

To either I want to be polite but I don't want to hand feed them so they'll keep dishing stress.  Seriously, THERE IS NOTHING A GUILDMATE CAN DO TO SAVE YOU FROM LIFE'S PROBLEMS.  

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

Wow, you were able to derive all that from this:

"The most valuable member of any guild is always named Google, he's also the least used member, especially by the takers."

Please show me where I ever indicated I'd told someone to "Google it?" Please.

I won't tary off the subject of this thread further by trying to parse that sentence for you.

Do have a very pleasant day and please continue to enjoy your internet expience.

In his defense, he said he hated "people like you, who tell others to "Google it" (paraphrase), not you specifically.

In fact, if you gave links to actual websites, he applauded you.

That's what I got from it anyway. I like to read people's posts for what they are, instead of assuming all sorts of things from absolutely nothing.

*head desk*
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Often times just letting them vent is enough. It's not really any kind of a hassle, just keep your responses appropriate/empathetic.

• aerelisaerelis Member Posts: 56
    Yea I play games to get away from real life for a moment. It depends on how close  you are to this person, if you are close seem compassionate but let them know you may not feel comfortable talking about it? And for someone getting evicted maybe they should be doing other things than sitting at a computer? just a thought

Aere Bourne

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    Depends on my mood and who they are.  Luckily I tend to solo when not in instances so it hasn't been an issue much.  I would never be rude about it but I'd probably need to log off early that night.  People usually get the hint pretty quick.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    I go to my games annual convention and wait until I am invited to a Q&A session that is being broadcast via a live feed then take the opportunity to call them out by name and mock their issues.

The maturity of a 41 year old child. Classic Internet.

I am guessing you missed the sarcastic reference. Classic Internet.

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78

The sorry truth is there are many people who depend on online games for their primary source of human interaction. Often, this is a self-imposed circumstance, but I'm acquainted with a number of hardcore players who've disabilities (myself included) and find getting out of the house and socializing a somewhat insurmountable challenge.

Still, there's a time and place for everything. Were the player characterized by the OP a total stranger, I'd find it an uncomfortable conversation and would do my utmost to disengage. Contrariwise, if the player was someone with whom I'd become friendly, I might lend an ear and support or advice within my purview.

I'm certainly not bereft of empathy, but at the same time I tend to be a no-nonsense kind of player. When I'm engaged in a quest or group mission, I don't want to be bothered by chit chat that doesn't concern the game or specific matters at hand. One of the principal reasons I seek out MMOs is for their immersive quality -- call it escapism. I don't burden others with my real life issues and, generally, I'd much prefer they not burden me with theirs.

Seconded.

It absolutely depends on who is coming to me with which personal problems:

A stranger with an immediate, serious problem? Very uncomfortable - I will try to disengage from the conversation as soon as possible. Maybe even contact a GM, if the person sounds like he/she needs real help.

A stranger with a 'problem'? Disengage, make it clear I have no interest in other peoples' personal life. If they persist, /ignore.

A gaming buddy with a real problem? I'll try my best to help, but will make it clear that he should seek outside help, if applicable. And that I won't be there every time to help out.

A friend? They know me well enough to not bother me with those things in-game. If they need to talk, we'll meet up IRL.

That said: I play to escape reality for a bit. Contrary to what some might believe, escapism (in measure) is normal, healthy behaviour that helps keep us level. When I play, I don't particularly want to hear about RL: Be that someone's warts acting up, someone's RL interrupting a play session repeatedly, the latest soccer game or the financial crisis. I want to game - to talk about the game I'm playing, discuss Lore, gameplay, the game itself.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Never had someone offload some most serious things that life can bring (death, losing place to live, etc) in an mmorpg.

When someone offload some more "minor" problem in real life (fight in relationship, annoying situation at job,etc) I usually try to listen as long as people go for long rants about it or do it too often.

I don't really play games to talk about that things so if that is more frequent than occasional things then I start to avoid this person or talking with him / her.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I'd just show some basic sympathy, like saying "Damn, that sucks.  Sorry to hear it."

If I'm feeling social enough, I might ask some questions, like if they have family they'll be staying with, at least.  Usually things aren't as dire as they seem, and the person just wants to vent a little.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    If they need serious help, I would recommend that see a professional, there is really nothing you can do over a game, to assist a person that really needs some help.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,202
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

How do you deal with mmo peeps unloading personal baggage in game?

I'd /ignore them.  I'm there to entertain myself, not act as some kind of social worker for a complete stranger.  If I did offer any advice it would be "If you're problems are that bad why not turn off the computer, get your ass out of the chair and FIX things."

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

Case in point:

And so it continues.

Giving a link to a game's Wiki or a specific website isn't the same know-it-all psuedo-help jerk attitude of those who say "Google it". That's a huge difference.

You can say "Unlike you, I don't actually hate anyone" but your words are irrelevant. Anyone who knows the answer and tells someone to "Google it" are hating on those people. You didn't say "I refer them to a link to a specific website that can provide them with a database for any item/mob drop they may need." No, I didn't talk about that either. This is all about "google it".

Once again, no one needs your "help" telling them to "google it". You are not helping anyone by saying "google it". You are not enlightening others. You are not teaching a man to fish. You are telling something to someone who already knows about google, because you lack the actual answer to the question but are so arrogant you can't simply say "I don't know" or stay silent.

The reason I hate people like you are because they are inefficient jerks and mostly it's the arrogance. No one needs you to tell them to "google it". Plenty need the link to a SPECIFIC website to find information on a game, or a link to a database website. They do NOT, however, need a link to google.

Just because "it's the internet dude..." doesn't excuse a change in integrity or moral values. You are who you are, and if you find the need to be a jerk online, you are a jerk in real life too. I've met plenty of people who think they have integrity, but when the @#$# hits the fan, they melt like a child who doesn't know what a value even is.

Not to mention that anytime anyone says "Google it" in a snarky tone, it's not just them being an arrogant know-it-all douchebag who knows nothing... they are perpetrating an internet social norm associated with a negative attitude, disrespectful tone, and destructive belief.

If you really wanted to teach someone to fish, you'd answer their question AND give them a link to a SPECIFIC website. If they are a consistent problem and annoy you simply because they are always asking questions and "too lazy" to "google it", I'd check in the mirror. The only person actually being lazy is you. They're being efficient, not lazy.

After all, what is more lazy? Someone who wants a split-second answer from a DIRECT knowledgable source on the topic, or someone who KNOWS the answer but refuses to type it out of some bitter, skewed perspective that views them as lazy. I hate to break it to you, but laziness can actually be a sign of intelligence. Intelligent, lazy people invent things like the websites that result when you "google it". It's lazier to build a database from a collective community than to look for a single task answer in-game using solo experimentation or hard work simply to calculate the % chance of a drop or what not...every single time you want an item. (The experiment makes the entire process irrelevant, as you'll find the item you need before you have the information required to complete the experiment.)

The only real lazy person is you. Unless of course, you DON'T know the answer. Then you aren't being lazy, you're being an arrogant know-it-all who refuses to humbly admit "I don't know" and feels the self-righteous need to "educate others" by enlightening them to the use of "google". Once again... no one needs you to tell them about google. The sole fact you think people are that stupid, shows your arrogance (I bet you think you can google REALLY well! 3 minutes max!) not to mention that the fact hovers a dark shadow of curiosity over your claim of "I don't hate anyone."

You know what type of people I hate? Unproductive, unrealistic, arrogant, unintelligent, harmful jerks. The types that bring nothing productive into the equation. You know what reveals those types very easily? "Google it." What is productive about telling people about a website EVERYONE knows about? Nothing. If they wanted to google it, they would have.

Calm down. I think you need to Google some relaxation methods.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Sorry, but conversing with the other person is all I will do at most. I've known some really kind and generous people that helped out guild members in a "desperate time" which resulting in continuous begging for money. If the person is throwing their issues in general chat then they will be ignored. If chatting in group or guild, I can console them but that's it, and move on. I personally wouldn't bring up my own personal RL issues in game. Nobody really cares, nor can/want do anything about it; we are here to play a game and have fun. Besides, we all have problems that we have to overcome.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster

I think everyone deserves help, regardless if you're face to face, on the phone, or using the internet: that's still a real person on the other end. Compassion doesn't make us weak, either. From my own experiences and tribulations, I can affirm that ventrilo and friends I've known for roughly fifteen years were the reason I sought medical and therapeutic aide, though I probably wouldn't have discussed my problems with strangers. People handle loss and conflict in different ways. Maybe the individual private messaging ol' Death_Luv had no one else to speak with, or couldn't fully confide in someone they already knew? Naturally, they should probably seek appropriate help, and the compassionate response would be to offer some form of comfort or advice.

Sure, we've all got problems. No one really wants to spend their free time listening to other people bitch about their issues, but simply being polite, honest, or compassionate toward their situation could make all of the difference, with the added bonus of feeling good about what you've done.

Hey What games you play. I want to join you.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design