Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Would Excite You about MMORPGs Again?

Comments

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

A long break, which started about two weeks ago, and a AAA sandbox MMO.

Until then I'm done with MMOs and currently counting down the hours until XCOM opens up. The crap MMOs that have been released over the last few years has rekindled my love of great single player games though, which I guess is a good thing since I can play them without a sub fee or without the BS you get from players with names like gankedurmom or stabbymcstabberson.

• AzaqinAzaqin Member UncommonPosts: 67

OP actually made me think....

My record:

DAOC: 5.5 years.

WoW: 5 years.

CoH/V: Probably 1 year, off and on.

EVE: Probably 6 months, off and on.

LOTRO: 4 months.

WAR: 2 months (although to be honest, it was the "Oops! We just billed you 20 times in one month" incident that got me to quit that game.)

COL: 3 months.

RIFT: 3 months.

DDO: 2 months.

TSW: 2 months.

Shadowbane, Lineage II, AO, Ash Call, EQ, EQII, DCU, Horizons, AoC, SWG, Ryzome, STOL: all less than 2 weeks.

Currently not subscribed/playing anything.

Never really listed it out before. You know what? I play too darn many MOGs, for one thing. For another, it sure looks like my favorite game was DAOC. At least if you base it on time. But last summer I loaded it in and spun the game up again on one of the free weekends they advertised and I couldn't stand it. I guess nostalgia colors everything in the end with rose.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

I'm similar to you OP.

diablo 2 ~2 years

daoc ~3 years

wow ~3 years

WAR 1 month

AoC 2 weeks

d3 1 month

GW2 3 weeks (biggest letdown of them all. And I was 100% sure about this game)

and a couple more for a few days each (rom, swtor)

It's not a burnout. MMOs become worse each year. 

What would excite me? DAOC 2 or something similar. Something with GOOD open world PvP, preferable FFA PvP. Mixed with open world raid bosses (pve+pvp at the same time).

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

i need a game that has everything but doesnt give anything for free and additionaly everything in the game from a function point of view is explained within the game. No random made up rules.

ill explain.

you have a game with a teleporter that allows you to go anywhere on the map once youve been there. Its a decent game mechanic i suppose.

what i need:

you and your friends have to venture to these places as above, but then you as a "Server/world" have to bring all the parts and build the teleporters. Once you have two teleporters built you can gate there through either one. If you wish to directly gate their without using a teleporter you need to build yourself a personal teleportation unit, and the state of the unit determines how far you can teleport. If you keep working at it you can eventually teleport anywhere that has a teleporter from anywhere.  

apply this logic to absolutely everything in the game and you have what i need.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

A game like precu SWG would excite me.  I've often thought that if my career path at work had skill boxes I would be director by now because I was addicted to leveling and unlocking the next skill box and abilities/bonuses.

I'd be excited to play precu SWG again but so much time has passed I don't know what kind of interest is still out there.  It had a healthy population when I was playing and community was one of the most important aspects.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

More than anything else, I am totally sick and tired of quest hub hopping for progression.

They call my character an "Adventurer" but all I get to do is provide slave labor for NPCs who pay me in gear that I'll never use.  Where's the adventure in that?

Replacing that with something more fitting to the genre would excite me.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    WoW 6 years
    GW1& LOTRO 2 years
    EVE 1,5 years
    Darkfall 3 months
    WAR 2 months

RIFT = IMO worst shit ever created - only game I ever felt it was made just for the money 1 day

A theme park game with player towns and full loot pvp :-)
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    OP I think you hit on two main points that I would agree with.

* Non combat activites. Yes, a good combat system is great and needed but shouldn't be the sole focus of an MMORPG IMO.

* Big, rolling, evolving world. AA's crop system is a great start along with VG's weather system and Ryzom's migrations. Is like that in one title though lol. Plus, wouldn't it be great if instead of just standing there NPCs actually did seperate activites throughout the day. Change by season and had quests to reflect this? If you visit a town on a cold winter night the people would be inside their homes or patrons at a bar would actually be musicians and when enough people came in they would go up and start playing.

I guess I'm waiting for more tools, both for myself and the developers.
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    Minecraft with modern graphics.
  • LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

What would excite me again?

If any of the publishers would have the good sense to fund a well-managed small development studio with about $10 to $20 millions to make a sandboxy virtual world MMORPG. That budget is enough when you scrap all the cutscenes, cinematic trailers, dynamic events, voice actors, personal stories, instanced PvP areneas, quests, scripted boss fights and server-wide auction houses.

I don't like those features anyway.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    a sandbox game like UO

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594
    A MMO about the world, not about the next quest/loot/kill.  I have better games for those.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Good player created architecture: player housing, guilds, dungeons and the like.  It's one of the reasons I liked SWG and CoH...and it's becoming more and more rare.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Asherons Call 4 solid years and another 12 years on and off

DAoC 2 years till they ruined it with vertical gear progression in ToA

CoH 4 months

WoW for 6 solid years till they gutted player freedom with Cata

WAR, AoC, Rift, SWTOR, TSW all less then 3 months each

GW2 1 month and counting, will be playing it for the forseeable future

I am also looking forward to TESO and Neverwinter and possibly Pathfinder.  No other games interest me.

I would super excited for a revamped Asherons Call with better combat and updated graphics but everything else left as is.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• sakinahsakinah Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Asherons Call 4 solid years and another 12 years on and off

DAoC 2 years till they ruined it with vertical gear progression in ToA

CoH 4 months

WoW for 6 solid years till they gutted player freedom with Cata

WAR, AoC, Rift, SWTOR, TSW all less then 3 months each

GW2 1 month and counting, will be playing it for the forseeable future

I am also looking forward to TESO and Neverwinter and possibly Pathfinder.  No other games interest me.

I would super excited for a revamped Asherons Call with better combat and updated graphics but everything else left as is.

Asherons Call revamp?

Yes ! ill join you! we can get rich by selling motes! and have some epic 1 hour corpse run to get our stuff back!!!

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by Trudge34

Think the key words there would be "game world." I want a game that has more focus on the world and developing that allowing the player to develop their character as they see fit 

This. I want to recapture that sense of possibility that I felt when I rolled my first character in SWG and stood in Mos Eisley as a sandstorm whipped up. I felt like I had limitless options and even if that was untrue, I did not have that sense of being channelled or funnelled down someone else's rabbit hole. I wasn't a hero, the galaxy would never revolve around me, and that was just as I wanted it. I was merely a wookie with sand in his crack, a rifle in his hand and whole planets to explore. 

I thought at that time that MMOs couldn't get better, and true enough they didn't. But actually, I secretly believed that they would get better and I wondered how future technology would flesh out these virtual worlds even more; how they would make our experiences in them richer, more individual and unpredicable. It never occurred to me that the reverse would happen and that those experiences would become ever more constricted, pre-scripted and formulaic. The MMO genre has so much potential to offer experiences that no other genre can; I want to play games that have been created by people who recognise this. 

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

I could not be burned out on MMOs because not a single one released in the past 5 years has been worth my attention for more than a month.  I could get burnt out on an MMO if I spent all of my freetime playing it. 

For an MMO to capture my attention it would have to stop catering to idiots.  The game would have harsh death penalties, be as much about the journey as the end game, make having multiple toons on the same server pointless, not guide me to a point on my minimap and back again, be about team play, and a nice story and dialogue would be great. 

I will be trying Darkfall Unholy Wars and FFXIV ARR

Addition: Minimizing instances would be great too.  In terms of party dynamics, each player in a group should have something very specific to offer to the group that took a long time to develop. 

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I´m pretty excited at the moment with GW2....

Been waiting for that game for over 5 years and it´s exactly what i was looking for.

I bet i´ll be very excited again when "World of Darkness" hit the shells in about...

uhmmm... 4-5 more years?

imageimage

imageimage

• SimphanaticSimphanatic Member Posts: 92

I'm a total History geek, and since I was raised on a very large Iowa farm, I'm perpetually drawn to the land. I'm also VERY tired of the ubiquitous, cliche'd elves, dragons, vampires, werewolves, dancing bunnies, and pandas that current developers seem incapable of resisting.

That said, I'd absolutely kill for an MMO based on Colonial America (think French and Indian War period), where warring faction might include British Loyalists, French Loyalists, Spanish Loyalists, Non-allied Colonials, and any number of warring Native-American tribes who are allied with or at war with each other or the other competing interest groups. All players will begin the game as British, French, Spanish, or Native-American. They can remain in starting cities throughout the game or can strike off on their own, remaining loyal to their starting faction, or going competely independent.

The game would be an amalgam of theme park and sandbox qualities, such as:

THEMEPARK

• Players serve quest-focused apprenticeships in various skills and pertinent militias
    • Non appreticed skills, like hunting, trapping, and farming would have relevant quests
    • Professions, like lawyer, physician, or parson/priest have quest chains originating with mentors 
    • Players can opt into new apprenticeships/skills at any time
    • While players are not compelled to engage in apprenticeships/formal training/mentorships, their skills and income stipends will develop much more slowly
    SANDBOX
    • Players are completely free to explore, but are at complete mercy of NPC wildlife; individual food, water, shelter, clothing needs; players from competing factions; and Native-American hunting parties
    • Players can homestead farms, but must clear the land, build cabins, and purchase implements, crops seeds, and livestock. As above, they are at the mercy of the environment
    • Players can group together to found settlements; which, with sufficient infrastructure (physician, lawyer, clergyman, merchants, farmers, and tradespeople) can evolve into villages, towns, and cities. Towns require a paid constabulary (manned by players) and cities require a paid garrison (also manned by players). Each settlement will have it's own player-established tax system and economics
    • Players, like hunters, trappers, traveling musicians, and traveling merchants may opt out of dwelling in a village
    • Players can also opt for the outlaw life, where they can rob and kill to their heart's content. Of course they're also subject to the same limitations, per the environment, as everyone else. Criminals (robbers, murderers, vagrants, and those failing to pay local taxes or serve their time in local constabularies/militias) can be tried and sentenced to jail, forced labor, or death. (Laws are established by the village/town/city's residents).
    Players will need to eat meat and fresh vegitables; not doing so will cause them to lose strength. Lack of fresh vegetables or fruit in their diet will cause scurvy and they will die (permanently).

Players will need a source of water (or beer); without such they will lose strength and can ultimately die without it.

Clothing items wear out over time and have to be replaced.

Ammunition, powder, and arrows must be replenished.

Players cannot carry more in their "bags" than is physically reasonable; thus, all items have a weight factor (includes food, ammunition, weapons, extra clothing items, and water/beer)

There is no leveling. Everything is centered on skills, where players can complete all or only portions of skills paths. For example, I'd imagine a successful farmer might have engaged in numerous paths, such as animal husbandry, gardening, hunting, tanning, carpentry, and blacksmithing. Married farmers might be wise to choose a spouse who has complimentary skills, such as butchering, weaving, canning, soap/candlemaking, and mending.

Structures in this game would be available on menus, costs would vary and, of course sufficient personal skills (or those of settlement members) would have to be present to complete the structure. Items inside structures are available from carpenters, stone masons, and general merchants.

Basic in-game consumer items, such as cooking pots, knives, flintlocks, pistols, carpentry tools, farming implements, livestock, crop seeds, books, and some clothing items are available at the starting cities, where they can be purchased wholesale. They can be transported to outlying and distant settlements by merchants, who resell these items. In time, I can foresee additional player-run trade centers developing, subject to available infrastructure, craftsmen, and tradespeople. I see this production and movement of goods ever outward as driving overall economy.  

These are only some cursory thoughts -- what I want is a REALISTIC historic experience that exposes players to the hardships, challenges, and dangers of living on the early American frontier. It should be dangerous, provide players with a variety of experiences, where they can opt into multiple career paths, and where miscalculations resulting in death are permanent. This world is 100% persistent -- players' avatars remain in game (presumably in a sleeping state) when they're not online. They are 100% vulnerable at these times; therefore, living in safe villages, hideouts, or well-hidden camps is very advisable. Everything in-game is line-of-sight. There are no maps, minimaps, autopathing, or other indication that danger is near. Players have to learn the land over time. When applicable, players and NPCs will leave temporary visible tracks that can be followed. All NPC wildlife can be hunted or trapped for food/hides. I also envision day/nighttime conditions, and weather that impacts players in varying ways.

I'd be interested in feedback concerning interest and feasibility of this vision.
  • tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    I still imagine an mmorpg medieval fantasy simulation world with everything u can imagine on it. From jobs,bounties,till whatever a player can imagine and also to be a player driven world with provincies guides by players if possible,taxes, a complex world that could feel like u indeed play your role in such a world.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

What would excitre me is something similar to FFXI .

What are the odds of seeing another game with NO  xp for quests?

NO markers of any kind,not on map and not over npc heads?

How about a MMO designed around MMO aspects like grouping?

Sooooooooo many other things FFXI did that no other game does that i miss badly.

EVERY single game no matter what the developer claims is played identical to the norm,which is linear questing and a race to end game.This is NOT Role play gaming for me,that is following a string that connects to the end.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Simphanatic

I'm a total History geek, and since I was raised on a very large Iowa farm, I'm perpetually drawn to the land. I'm also VERY tired of the ubiquitous, cliche'd elves, dragons, vampires, werewolves, dancing bunnies, and pandas that current developers seem incapable of resisting.

That said, I'd absolutely kill for an MMO based on Colonial America (think French and Indian War period), where warring faction might include British Loyalists, French Loyalists, Spanish Loyalists, Non-allied Colonials, and any number of warring Native-American tribes who are allied with or at war with each other or the other competing interest groups. All players will begin the game as British, French, Spanish, or Native-American. They can remain in starting cities throughout the game or can strike off on their own, remaining loyal to their starting faction, or going competely independent.

THEMEPARK

• Players serve quest-focused apprenticeships in various skills and pertinent militias
    • Non appreticed skills, like hunting, trapping, and farming would have relevant quests
    • Professions, like lawyer, physician, or parson/priest have quest chains originating with mentors 
    • While players are not compelled to engage in apprenticeships/formal training/mentorships, their skills and income stipends will develop much more slowly
    SANDBOX
    • Players are completely free to explore, but are at complete mercy of NPC wildlife; individual food, water, shelter, clothing needs; players from competing factions; and Native-American hunting parties
    • Players can homestead farms, but must clear the land, build cabins, and purchase implements, crops seeds, and livestock. As above, they are at the mercy of the environment
    • Players can group together to found settlements; which, with sufficient infrastructure (physician, lawyer, clergyman, merchants, farmers, and tradespeople) can evolve into villages, towns, and cities. Towns require a paid constabulary (manned by players) and cities require a paid garrison (also manned by players). Each settlement will have it's own player-established tax system and economics
    • Players, like hunters, trappers, traveling musicians, and traveling merchants may opt out of dwelling in a village
    • Players can also opt for the outlaw life, where they can rob and kill to their heart's content. Of course they're also subject to the same limitations, per the environment, as everyone else. Criminals (robbers, murderers, vagrants, and those failing to pay local taxes or serve their time in local constabularies/militias) can be tried and sentenced to jail, forced labor, or death. (Laws are established by the village/town/city's residents).
    Players will need to eat meat and fresh vegitables; not doing so will cause them to lose strength. Lack of fresh vegetables or fruit in their diet will cause scurvy and they will die (permanently).

Players will need a source of water (or beer); without such they will lose strength and can ultimately die without it.

Players cannot carry more in their "bags" than is physically reasonable; thus, all items have a weight factor (includes food, ammunition, weapons, extra clothing items, and water/beer)

There is no leveling. Everything is centered on skills, where players can complete all or only portions of skills paths. For example, I'd imagine a successful farmer might have engaged in numerous paths, such as animal husbandry, gardening, hunting, tanning, carpentry, and blacksmithing. Married farmers might be wise to choose a spouse who has complimentary skills, such as butchering, weaving, canning, soap/candlemaking, and mending.

Structures in this game would be available on menus, costs would vary and, of course sufficient personal skills (or those of settlement members) would have to be present to complete the structure. Items inside structures are available from carpenters, stone masons, and general merchants.

Basic in-game consumer items, such as cooking pots, knives, flintlocks, pistols, carpentry tools, farming implements, livestock, crop seeds, books, and some clothing items are available at the starting cities, where they can be purchased wholesale. They can be transported to outlying and distant settlements by merchants, who resell these items. In time, I can foresee additional player-run trade centers developing, subject to available infrastructure, craftsmen, and tradespeople. I see this production and movement of goods ever outward as driving overall economy.  

These are only some cursory thoughts -- what I want is a REALISTIC historic experience that exposes players to the hardships, challenges, and dangers of living on the early American frontier. It should be dangerous, provide players with a variety of experiences, where they can opt into multiple career paths, and where miscalculations resulting in death are permanent. This world is 100% persistent -- players' avatars remain in game (presumably in a sleeping state) when they're not online. They are 100% vulnerable at these times; therefore, living in safe villages, hideouts, or well-hidden camps is very advisable. Everything in-game is line-of-sight. There are no maps, minimaps, autopathing, or other indication that danger is near. Players have to learn the land over time. When applicable, players and NPCs will leave temporary visible tracks that can be followed. All NPC wildlife can be hunted or trapped for food/hides. I also envision day/nighttime conditions, and weather that impacts players in varying ways.

I'd be interested in feedback concerning interest and feasibility of this vision.

Besides the part in red, I'd totally play a game like this.

Can we play as Native Americans?  I want to go head hunting!

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• MercArcherMercArcher Member Posts: 57

Actual end game. Not this super easy built for casuals stuff we have now.

I'm talking large groups (25 is not large, 40 or more), massive non-primary gear checks (resist gear checks), and content that is built to require farming of early bosses over multiple weeks to get to later bosses. Heroic modes are a cop out, I don't just want to do the dungeon twice once on easy mode once on easymode+1-2extrathings mode, I want to progress through a raid.

• MercArcherMercArcher Member Posts: 57

THEMEPARK

SANDBOX

http://dayzmod.com/

This is what you are describing basically. Except it is modern with zombies.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

THEMEPARK

SANDBOX

Besides the part in red, I'd totally play a game like this.

Can we play as Native Americans?  I want to go head hunting!

And thousands wont.

Besides if Elves, Dwarves and other high fantasy can survive for almsot a 100 years thanks to the work of Tolkien something tells me high fantasy isnt going anywhere.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.