Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare Co-Founder Ray Muzyka Defends Passionate Fans, Blasts Gaming Journalists

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Recently, Ray Muzyka countered speculation from Trent Oster & others that the negativity of fans drove him away.  Ray states that he has deep respect for passionate fans.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/BioWare-Co-Founder-Ray-Muzyka-Defends-Passionate-Fans-Blasts-Gaming-Journalists-47573.html

Dr. Ray Muzyka, one of the former co-founders for BioWare, put out a simple Twitter message for fans who supported BioWare throughout the years. In that same message he also managed to blast gaming journalists for “ill-founded” rumors and “speculation”. Why? Because there were rumors circulating that Muzyka and fellow co-founder Greg Zeschuk left the gaming industry for good because of “whiny” and “entitled” fans.

From Ray Muzyka's Twitter:

I respect/revere fans, because they speak with deep, honest passion. Journalists speculating on ill-founded rumors should reassess approach.

Good websites demand clarity and credibility – lesser ones enable ill-informed individuals to make stuff up about other people.

EA was likely having some giggles over all the speculation, since they like spins which deflect blame from themselves.  So just why did the doctors leave then?  Was it because EA quality was not up their standards, or were they disgusted with SWTOR's release in an unfinished state?  We may never know, but it sure would be interesting.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

What does Trent expect? If you eat at a terrible restaurant, you are going to complain and tell everyone.

We've seen so many failures since developers tried following the linear WoW model. With all the financial resources available and knowledge of all the post-WoW failures, BioWare still decided to deliver the most linear and single-player MMORPG possible.

And they are upset because of people complaining?

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

What does Trent expect? If you eat at a terrible restaurant, you are going to complain and tell everyone.

We've seen so many failures since developers tried following the linear WoW model. With all the financial resources available and knowledge of all the post-WoW failures, BioWare still decided to deliver the most linear and single-player MMORPG possible.

They didn't even follow the WoW model, WoW is 10x the game SWTOR was.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

They did not follow the WOW model?  I think you would get many on this forum that would dissagree. In fact they should have followed the SWG model starting with JTL

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

bored to read ''wow in space'' for swtor from its birth

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

What we need are more visionaries speaking out agains the industry. I am not suggesting Ray is trying to be a campaigner of player justice but it is plain stupid to think those who once created games because they were passionate gamers themselves are bashing the player base for the current woes of the industry. It is the players who got them where they are today.

The total detachment between current executives and the players is the root of the problem and developer heads stuck between the number crunchers and the community supporting the genre must feel conflicted. Replacing the old developer leads with mindless company management drones will be the downfall of the mmo industry. We will continue seeing old names leaving out of frustration and can only hope the continue to breath life into indi-development.

We are currently seeing the struggle of mmo genre in the free market. If indi-development can't hold onto a share of the market we will only ever be playing the Walmart brands of the mmo world and seeing how I am one who wouldn't be caught dead in Walmart label clothes it would truly dishearten me to see the genre head in that direction.

You can't blame the players for being passionate. It is their passion that created the industry of gaming. To not respect this passion and to not nurture it to their benefit is to denounce what created the companies to begin with.

You stay sassy!

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Karteli

Recently, Ray Muzyka countered speculation from Trent Oster & others that the negativity of fans drove him away.  Ray states that he has deep respect for passionate fans.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/BioWare-Co-Founder-Ray-Muzyka-Defends-Passionate-Fans-Blasts-Gaming-Journalists-47573.html

Dr. Ray Muzyka, one of the former co-founders for BioWare, put out a simple Twitter message for fans who supported BioWare throughout the years. In that same message he also managed to blast gaming journalists for “ill-founded” rumors and “speculation”. Why? Because there were rumors circulating that Muzyka and fellow co-founder Greg Zeschuk left the gaming industry for good because of “whiny” and “entitled” fans.

I respect/revere fans, because they speak with deep, honest passion. Journalists speculating on ill-founded rumors should reassess approach.

Good websites demand clarity and credibility – lesser ones enable ill-informed individuals to make stuff up about other people.

EA was likely having some giggles over all the speculation, since they like spins which deflect blame from themselves.  So just why did the doctors leave then?  Was it because EA quality was not up their standards, or were they disgusted with SWTOR's release in an unfinished state?  We may never know, but it sure would be interesting.

The doctors already planned on leaveing the minute they sold their company to EA.  The doctors had an awesome company and had a huge promising project in the works.  They sold the company for huge money and also promised to stay on and finish the huge project they currently are on.  Then when the project was completed, the doctors stuck around until the new game could maintain itself and then left.

You ask any person who has their own company and most will say their dream was to do what the doctors did with EA.  Build a company up, sell it for millions then break free.  Rinse and repeat....

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by eddieg50

They did not follow the WOW model?  I think you would get many on this forum that would dissagree. In fact they should have followed the SWG model starting with JTL

If they had tried to copy WoW maybe the worlds wouldnt be seperated by loading screens galore and the planets wouldn't be narrow corridors. 

If they had made WoW in Space I'd probably have stuck around longer, rather they made a game full of corridors, loading screens, empty cities and single player content.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by eddieg50

If they had tried to copy WoW maybe the worlds wouldnt be seperated by loading screens galore and the planets wouldn't be narrow corridors. 

If they had made WoW in Space I'd probably have stuck around longer, rather they made a game full of corridors, loading screens, empty cities and single player content.

vanilla wow I would agree with you, but post wotl no ,  Wow is a liniear game as I have seen, in fact they are trying to become more like SWTOR with their cut scenes and production

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

You make a crappy game, folks don't like it they will tell their friends and anybody who will listen. So yes there is a lot of passion surrounding the fail of swtor.

As far as the doctors leaving we will never know the truth,  I am sure they signed an NDA, and a Non-Compete with EA.  Now after the Non-compete is lifted maybe then. 

However I cant blame the doctors I left companies I knew were fixing to go up in flames because of  their bad business practices. In there case a company who destroys good games, and possibly this also set their moral compass off.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by Tamanous

What we need are more visionaries speaking out agains the industry. I am not suggesting Ray is trying to be a campaigner of player justice but it is plain stupid to think those who once created games because they were passionate gamers themselves are bashing the player base for the current woes of the industry. It is the players who got them where they are today.

The total detachment between current executives and the players is the root of the problem and developer heads stuck between the number crunchers and the community supporting the genre must feel conflicted. Replacing the old developer leads with mindless company management drones will be the downfall of the mmo industry. We will continue seeing old names leaving out of frustration and can only hope the continue to breath life into indi-development.

We are currently seeing the struggle of mmo genre in the free market. If indi-development can't hold onto a share of the market we will only ever be playing the Walmart brands of the mmo world and seeing how I am one who wouldn't be caught dead in Walmart label clothes it would truly dishearten me to see the genre head in that direction.

You can't blame the players for being passionate. It is their passion that created the industry of gaming. To not respect this passion and to not nurture it to their benefit is to denounce what created the companies to begin with.

As per usual on MMORPG.com the guy who makes the most sense and articulates his point the most effectively is completely ignored for petty arguments with no philisophical value or reedming qualitys other than being misinformed chatter. 

I agree completely with everything you have said, the indiustry is about number crunching and market trends now, and the dissconnection you spoke about is the thing that is killing gaming. Its sad how the more possible connections we have today, have become a hyper form of capitalism that leaves the true fans of video gaming in the dark while the ones with more money and weight in society (The upper-middle) are given everything because they are a larger number.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Doctors decided to leave when they sold BW. They stayed until SWTOR was launched and then did what they planned to do.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I like this quote.  Sounds like this gaming website I know of that has lots of forums...