Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvE server for darkfall UW?

Comments

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

When you start DF the very first time you have this protecting flag, which make you pvp off, why not making this flag to be turned on whenever you please but if you turned pvp flag on? you would not be able to turn it back off ever again.

That way everyone can take part in the same game and no need for pve server.

And with pvp off you also keep your loot, but you have to go back to get it if you fall victim.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I would like a fantasy game with varying security levels like eve and perpetuum, wouldn't necessarily have to have as much low sec as eve, but I like the managing your own risk factor, I like that its a sliding scale rather than a binary completely safe / completely unsafe setup.

Not sure that would go with darkfall though. But someone should do it.
    Znaiika:

It's entirely possible to play eve or perpetuum without hardly ever pvping. Your never completely safe but its very very rare to get attacked in high sec areas.
  • senadinsenadin Member UncommonPosts: 247

Originally posted by karmath
    Originally posted by Yalexy   Originally posted by 123443211234 NO Everything in Darkfall revolves around pvp and the ability to be killed at any time.  A pve only server would be an entirely different game.  Although the pve in Darkfall is better, harder, and more interesting than any other mmo I've ever played it will never come close to preparing someone for a pvp encounter.  (i.e. your get comfortable and transfer comment)
      And that's exactly the reason why DF:UW will fail the same way as DF1. A meaningless gankfest with FPS-combat.... I'd rather play any other FPS where there's no monthly subscription.
    Because your actions as player having a persistant non scripted impact on the game world is meaningless. ok.

Why you people even bother to come on sandbox game forums when you cant seem to grasp the very basics of why people like sandboxes I cant understand. There is a plethora of themepark titles relevant to your interests, go there and leave us with our interest.

Sandbox does not equal to PVP inclusively.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Drvanitus

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Originally posted by Drvanitus If they can implement it properly, WHY NOT!! GO FOR IT AV!  
    The multiple reasons as to WHY NOT!!? have been stated multiple times throughout this thread.
    They're all stupid extreme reasons that make no sense what so ever.

The company involved in creating the game, are pvp fans, setting out to create a pvp centric mmo, not a PVE, everything for everyone, game. They simply show no inclination whatsoever, they don't want to make a non pvp game. No, that's not a stupid reason.

The company involved are aiming it at a specfic niche audience, they are well aware that they could churn out a themepark and probably make more money. But they want to stick to their vision. They don't want Darkfall Lite, they want to focus on Darkfall the open world pvp game. No, that's not a stupid reason.

All the major mechanics of the game are built upon, or interlinked with FFA, open, loot based pvp. Changing that is not "simple". It takes time, moneyy and effort, something the devs should be spending on the core model. No, that's not a stupid reason.

People who signed up for the game, as a pvp centric sandbox, want the development team to focus 100% of their time, money and effort on the core model. Not some half assed pve server just in the off chance that they might get more subs from an audience the game was never aimed at in the first place. No, that's not a stupid reason.

Not every sandbox is trying to be like EVE, not every game is aimed at everyone. This game happens to be aimed at pvp centric, open world players. A pve sandbox might be great, butchering a pvp sandbox into one, nope that isn't a great idea. So no, that's not a stupid reason either.

I'm not sure what is so difficult to grasp with the fact that the company doesn't seem to want to do it, the fact that the fans have a major issue with time and money being devoted on a form of the game they didn't sign up for and the fact that it isn't easy to remove pvp from a game completely built upon pvp. It's a pvp game, built by a pvp fanboi dev team, for a pvp audience. "PVE server plox!!!!!!!".....

But let's consider the arguments for it to be fair. Oh right they are: "I would totally play a pve version of a pvp game dude" fantastic reason. "Like they would make so much more money if they just deviated completely from their core ideas". Yeah, really solid arguments from the pro PVE camp thus far.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Originally posted by Drvanitus If they can implement it properly, WHY NOT!! GO FOR IT AV!  
    The multiple reasons as to WHY NOT!!? have been stated multiple times throughout this thread.
    They're all stupid extreme reasons that make no sense what so ever.

The company involved in creating the game, are pvp fans, setting out to create a pvp centric mmo, not a PVE, everything for everyone, game. They simply show no inclination whatsoever, they don't want to make a non pvp game. No, that's not a stupid reason.

The company involved are aiming it at a specfic niche audience, they are well aware that they could churn out a themepark and probably make more money. But they want to stick to their vision. They don't want Darkfall Lite, they want to focus on Darkfall the open world pvp game. No, that's not a stupid reason.

All the major mechanics of the game are built upon, or interlinked with FFA, open, loot based pvp. Changing that is not "simple". It takes time, moneyy and effort, something the devs should be spending on the core model. No, that's not a stupid reason.

People who signed up for the game, as a pvp centric sandbox, want the development team to focus 100% of their time, money and effort on the core model. Not some half assed pve server just in the off chance that they might get more subs from an audience the game was never aimed at in the first place. No, that's not a stupid reason.

Not every sandbox is trying to be like EVE, not every game is aimed at everyone. This game happens to be aimed at pvp centric, open world players. A pve sandbox might be great, butchering a pvp sandbox into one, nope that isn't a great idea. So no, that's not a stupid reason either.

I'm not sure what is so difficult to grasp with the fact that the company doesn't seem to want to do it, the fact that the fans have a major issue with time and money being devoted on a form of the game they didn't sign up for and the fact that it isn't easy to remove pvp from a game completely built upon pvp. It's a pvp game, built by a pvp fanboi dev team, for a pvp audience. "PVE server plox!!!!!!!".....

But let's consider the arguments for it to be fair. Oh right they are: "I would totally play a pve version of a pvp game dude" fantastic reason. "Like they would make so much more money if they just deviated completely from their core ideas". Yeah, really solid arguments from the pro PVE camp thus far.

I love you, EPIC post.

PVE Care Bears, leave our game alone, go play your 10000000 of PVE games, we literally only have a few.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Znaiika:

It's entirely possible to play eve or perpetuum without hardly ever pvping. Your never completely safe but its very very rare to get attacked in high sec areas.

Eve and perpetuum are both space type games, there aren't any open world sandbox games with optional pvp and without FFA loot, all those games are hijecked by pvpers.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by znaiika

When you start DF the very first time you have this protecting flag, which make you pvp off, why not making this flag to be turned on whenever you please but if you turned pvp flag on? you would not be able to turn it back off ever again.

And with pvp off you also keep your loot, but you have to go back to get it if you fall victim.

With pvp off, there will be so many spy. This is the number 1 reason on why im against it.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

With pvp off, there will be so many spy. This is the number 1 reason on why im against it.

Well, this is a good thing not knowing who is spy and who is not, you would have to outsmurt those spy agents, and that make's the game more interesting.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

Well, this is a good thing not knowing who is spy and who is not, you would have to outsmurt those spy agents, and that make's the game more interesting.

It wouldn't matter who the spies were, you couldn't do anything about it with PVP off. image  

Having people immune to PvP would lead to griefing on an epic level.

[mod edit]

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

Oh please, that doesn't have ANYTHING to do with this topic. You don't run the company. Besides just because there's a PVE server doesn't automatically turn the entire game to be non-PVP centric, that's as absurd as your argument. PVE server would have no effect what so ever on the PVP server, or the game.

There you go again with your redundant and irrelevant arguments. "The company involved" always wants to make more money, but neither you or I run that "company", so why are you even bringing that up, why are you arguing about a point that is irrelevant. Companies will do what they want to do, not what we want them to do. So if they decide to do PVE servers, they will do so. My point is, don't bring in an argument against PVE servers in a form of company policy, instead provide an argument from GAMERS' point of view! You're a game, not a CEO at Aventurine.

Again, dear god aren't you thick one. YOU DO NOT RUN THE COMPANY, so do not pretend to know how hard or easy something is to do. DO NOT argue from the point of view of development, resources, money, technical or any other side. If you want to argue your point, then argue it from the position which you understand, and that is playing the game.

Here's a hypothetical for you, what if AV posted tomorrow saying "OK guys, we have everything worked out to open a PVE server alongside PVP server, it's all done, we just want to see what the community thinks about it".

What would you then? SO PLEASE, provide an argument as a player, not as a company employee. How would PVE server affect your experience on the PVP server?

Yes it is, another stupid reason, and this one is more stupid than the rest. More subs = more money = BIGGER development team = more pople working on the game = better!.
    But then again, YOU DO NOT WORK for the company, so stop putting words in their mouth already! How would this ruin your experience on the PVP server?

Another stupid reason. Yes, this game is very PVP centric. Adding a PVE server does not ruin that on a PVP server. I'll ask again, how would existence of PVE server ruin your experience on a PVP server?

I'm not sure why is it so difficult to grasp the fact that you do not work for the company...... or that you know their financial situation or the fact that you seem to think that getting a lot more subs is wast of money for the company.

So first, I'll challenge you to the same question as I did last time. What if the company came out and said that they're doing PVE servers, it's done, completed, finished, what would your objection be to that? Would you tell them "hey why did you waste that money on getting more subs?"

Second, let me remind you, that last real content update Darkfall has seen was in November of 2009, Conquer The Seas (don't you even dare try and say that Hellfreeze was a content patch). So... I don't even know where you get your argument about "should be working on the blah blah blah".

Third I challenge you to give me one good reason, as a gamer, why PVE servers would be bad. And because you are incapable of putting yourself outside the company... you think you work for the company, imagine that "the company" got a team of 500 developers and 50 million dollars from ... Barrack Obama, to implement a PVE server asap. In other words, disregard all concerns for financial well being of the company and 'them wasting their time', and just focus on the issue as a gamer. Give me one good argument against PVE server alongside the normal server.

And finally, we are both wasting our time. PVE servers will never happen, because this is Aventurine we're talking about, and I'm content with that. Even if they did implement it, I wouldn't play on it. Why I would like PVE servers is because eventually those PVE guys will start playing on PVP server as well. Bigger population = more fun. Unlike you, I've played, and still playing, Darkfall since the game launched, and I know full well the effects that a low population has on the gaming experience.

See you in 2.0.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
    Originally posted by Hancakes

It wouldn't matter who the spies were, you couldn't do anything about it with PVP off. image  

[mod edit]

How would they be able to grieff?

[mod edit]

I take it youre new to online gaming? Think about it

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I would shoot out an educated guess being a veteran and all, there will be vast safe zones. Mark this post so I can say I told you so...
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

I'm not sure why is it so difficult to grasp the fact that you do not work for the company...... or that you know their financial situation or the fact that you seem to think that getting a lot more subs is wast of money for the company.

And you can demonstrate that they can easily afford both the time and the money involved in overhauling a pvp game to create working pve servers and update said servers? Common sense points to the fact that it would be rather a large undertaking for a small, indie company, operating in difficult economic conditions. I also take it you are going to guarantee all these subs to them right?

So first, I'll challenge you to the same question as I did last time. What if the company came out and said that they're doing PVE servers, it's done, completed, finished, what would your objection be to that? Would you tell them "hey why did you waste that money on getting more subs?"

What a ridiculous thing to say. Well I would question whether a small company could manage the task and I would question if they had the resources and manpower for it. But they are not going to come out and say that now are they. For the reasons posted countless times now.

Second, let me remind you, that last real content update Darkfall has seen was in November of 2009, Conquer The Seas (don't you even dare try and say that Hellfreeze was a content patch). So... I don't even know where you get your argument about "should be working on the blah blah blah".

So you are saying they can barely manage to update a pvp game alone, let alone a pve version as well. Whilst at the same time saying "who are you to say they can't easily make a pve server and run that whilst running the pvp one to". You can't have it both ways....

Third I challenge you to give me one good reason, as a gamer, why PVE servers would be bad. And because you are incapable of putting yourself outside the company... you think you work for the company, imagine that "the company" got a team of 500 developers and 50 million dollars from ... Barrack Obama, to implement a PVE server asap. In other words, disregard all concerns for financial well being of the company and 'them wasting their time', and just focus on the issue as a gamer. Give me one good argument against PVE server alongside the normal server.

So you are hypothesising some cloud cookoo land where the developer has infinte funds/time and is able to make top quality pvp AND pve games? And I am supposed to answer this with a straight face?

And finally, we are both wasting our time. PVE servers will never happen, because this is Aventurine we're talking about, and I'm content with that. Even if they did implement it, I wouldn't play on it. Why I would like PVE servers is because eventually those PVE guys will start playing on PVP server as well. Bigger population = more fun. Unlike you, I've played, and still playing, Darkfall since the game launched, and I know full well the effects that a low population has on the gaming experience.

People would not migrate from the PVE servers to the PVP servers. You wouldn't see an influx of players onto the pvp server at all. Nothing in the past for other mmos has pointed to that occuring.

"Unlike you..." Yeah that really added nothing to the debate.

I am also well aware of the impact population has on a game. "Unlike you", I think it is pretty clear that AV (you know in this world, not in  la la unlimited funds land) would not be adding a whacking great population to the pvp servers should they tack on pve servers.

See you in 2.0.

Yep.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

That's what I thought, you have no clue of what you say.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Hancakes... you know people starting up the SB alliance again in DF:UW?

That's what I thought, you have no clue of what you say.

Its obvious you have comprehesion issues so I'll spell out a few.

Following and reporting real players movements

Blocking real players

Trainging mobs

Farming resouces in clan controlled areas.

Originally posted by phantomghost

Yes, working on it

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

Yes, working on it

Cool... will have to see about finding them once game starts... was the alliance I was in during launch of DF1... great times lol.

Yes, working on it

Cool... will have to see about finding them once game starts... was the alliance I was in during launch of DF1... great times lol.

Looking at LKK, SS, Hooligans and others from Mourning

Its obvious you have comprehesion issues so I'll spell out a few.

Following and reporting real players movements

Blocking real players

Trainging mobs

Farming resouces in clan controlled areas.

This is not the problem, the main problem is you don't like to share same game with those who don't want to take part in pvp full time.

Ego.

Perpetuum isn't in space, its a mech themed mmo
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

True. But its become well known as EVE on the ground. ^^  Its a rather entertaining game, and has much potential. 

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

If someone make a sandbox MMORPG like avatar, where you could take part in space, on land, being able to enter robots, like perpetuum and exit, be your self  "real person"  roming around vast world and is pve with optional pvp or choosing raider or mersenary faction to become full time pvp enabled.

With fallout engaging combat and smart AI like in rage.

I would gladly give my money for such entertainment. 

This discussion has been closed.