Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4+yr old indie Sandbox MMO project looking for more 3d artists and programmers

TheeLordTheeLord Northbrook, ILPosts: 138Member Uncommon

http://www.factionsgame.com

Factions is a sandbox MMO that is over 4 years into production. 
In Factions, you assume the role of a refugee from a land torn asunder by nature who ends up in a distant dangerous land with nothing but the clothes on your back. You must strive with the other survivors to rebuild civilization in this new world.
Read all about the game in the about section of our website! We have a great deal of work under our belts on the programming side, and we really need to start making the game look nicer as we approach our first round of publicity pushes and our very first systems testing.

Our team is very dedicated to this project and seeing it through to completion and to success. We are looking for individuals who know they can stick with a project for the long-haul. We have a profit sharing agreement in place. We are a well organized team with regular design meetings and a project tracking system in place, we use skype to communicate mainly.

We need all sorts of 3d artists, especially character artists/animators... While we don't require tons of experience, you will need to show us some of your previous work. Please contact me if you would like more info or would like to possibly join us.

We also need another programmer, must know C++ at a moderate level.

edit: I also just wanted to note that we take our team member's opinions very seriously, I understand that most of us want to create a game, not simply make assets or code for a game. So if you have a cool game idea we will usually debate it at a meeting or on the forums together.

Team Structure

Mike(myself) - Lead programmer, founder
Triadian - UI, website, programmer
Austin - Music and Sound effects
Diogo - 3d modeler

Talent Needed

3d artists of all kinds!!! 

C++ programmer

Website

http://www.factionsgame.com 

Contact Method

stankiem@hotmail.com

and / or register on our forums. 

Previous Work by Team

I am the creator of the popular WC3 map WarBall, we have worked on this project for over 4 years. 
Compensation Plan

Profit sharing agreement in place. 

Technology

DarkGDK for graphics engine
RakNet for networking
All programming done in C++
Skype for communications 

Feedback

Any 

The below screenshots are of a very recent build, the UI graphics are still in very early stages of course.. And the environment / character... well that's why we're recruiting  ;)

We also just posted a gameplay / development progress video at:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKsSNVBe0Go&feature=g-hist

Founder and Lead developer of Factions. The complete fantasy sandbox survival MMO.
Factions indiedb Page (most up to date info) | Factions Website

Comments

• TheeLordTheeLord Northbrook, ILPosts: 138Member Uncommon
    In addition to 3d artists, we really need more traffic at our website, more encouragement, and more opinions and game ideas etc...

Founder and Lead developer of Factions. The complete fantasy sandbox survival MMO.

A bump so the non sleep deprived see this also ;)

I might as well give this another bump, even if you just want to watch the project, feel free to register on or forums and say hi!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 14,247Member Rare

Glanced around the site. Stuff like this featurette on the graphics is really cool content. Going to grab some coffee and the laptop to kick back and read more about this little underdog of yours.

This section has me most interested:

Factions allows the player to play whatever role they
    choose. Whether you are more interested in combat,
    crafting, faction and/or town management,
    building a business empire, or any combination of these things,
    you will be able to play exactly how you want to.

TheeLord, please, for the love of all that is holy and unholy, please tell me that it isn't a FFA PVP game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Manchester, NHPosts: 3,371Member Uncommon

Someone make these people some clothes!  :)

Good luck.

It's not really a ffa pvp game because factions and players can tag eachother as neutral or enemy or friendly ally war etc... They can also set rules for what happens if a players breaks the rules associated with those statuses. So if a player in faction a attacks a player in faction b and faction bs rules state this means war with them and all allies, then the aggressive player will have lots of explaining to do when a five nation army is knocking at their gates. We believe in Complete freedom, but also enough tools for the players so they can govern themselves and prevent chaos as in other "sandbox" games.

• CaldenforCaldenfor Meredith, NHPosts: 133Member
    Originally posted by TheeLord

It's not really a ffa pvp game because factions and players can tag eachother as neutral or enemy or friendly ally war etc... They can also set rules for what happens if a players breaks the rules associated with those statuses. So if a player in faction a attacks a player in faction b and faction bs rules state this means war with them and all allies, then the aggressive player will have lots of explaining to do when a five nation army is knocking at their gates. We believe in Complete freedom, but also enough tools for the players so they can govern themselves and prevent chaos as in other "sandbox" games.

Players are terrible governors. Best bet is to allow players to remain neutral or join factions. Faction players would be each faction pitted against each other while neutral players would not have to worry about being murdered randomly just because players like to grief others just because they can.
    We believe the proper "tools" and deterrents have never been implemented in a sandbox game which is why griefing is such an enormous problems in most other ffa pvp game. We have put a lot of thought in to these problems and believe we have a few other innovative, yet simple to understand deterrents as well.

We just posted a gameplay / development progress video for Factions:

www.factionsgame.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKsSNVBe0Go&feature=g-hist

• AesowhreapAesowhreap Omaha, NEPosts: 78Member

I don't know anything about programming in c++ but iI am an artist. If you pm me a set of download links for designing programs  for 3d ill try to see what I can learn. I've mostly only worked with audio and video editing. I think my cpu can render this stuff you are looking for and I have other computers for rendering farming. Just pm me if you want a fast learner. Oh, and I am free.  I would rather volunteer is what I mean.

Thanks,

J

Best Regards, ...

I sent off a pm to you, still have not filled our vacancies. Looking for another programmer and more artists.
    A little more info on our team:
    -We have weekly game design meetings, we talk about game topics and discuss other things that need discussing.
    -All team members are game designers, while tri and I ultimately vet all decisions to maintain a very precise design, we always discuss things as a team and our team members are constantly contributing their ideas to the game. I understand that we all want to do the "fun" work of adding our ideas to the game.
    -We need you! This project is definitely far along and we're making great progress all the time, but we need more help, you will be making an impact on the game within a few days of joining the team. We are good at management, I have had years to learn what works and what doesn't, we are organized and focused.