Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I buy now? (discount)

UglyducklyUglyduckly Member Posts: 5

I am in doubt about whether or not I should purchase the game now, I know I am going to buy it at some point, but I wouldn't mind waiting for christmas if there was a change of them having a sale on it. At the moment there is 25 % off at Greenmangaming, bringing the price down to 41.25 euro, which I find reasonable. 

So my question is, on a B2P MMORPG of this scale, is it likely they are going to have a big christmas discount?

(Tried searching for a similar threat with no results at all, so apologize if I missed something obvious).

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Uglyduckly

I am in doubt about whether or not I should purchase the game now, I know I am going to buy it at some point, but I wouldn't mind waiting for christmas if there was a change of them having a sale on it. At the moment there is 25 % off at Greenmangaming, bringing the price down to 41.25 euro, which I find reasonable. 

So my question is, on a B2P MMORPG of this scale, is it likely they are going to have a big christmas discount?

(Tried searching for a similar threat with no results at all, so apologize if I missed something obvious).

I would not expect a real discount until the first expantion is released. That could take 6 mo. to a year

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    dude, this game is incredible value for the price. Go get it!!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Game is def worth the price, even if you only get a month's entertainment out of it.

Thankfully, you can/could then come back any time you want w/o paying more unless you want to.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    If it plays out like Guild Wars 1 Then like somone said earlier the real discount wont be till an expansion is released.

• UglyducklyUglyduckly Member Posts: 5

Hmm yes was what I was expecting as well, guess that means I might as well enjoy it now :) 

And would I be right in assuming that 41.25 euro is (without ninja VPN skillz) around the cheapest price currently available?

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    I paid $80 for the u.s collectors and it's been worth every penny. Like some of the others have said, even if you only play through 100 or so hours, you got your moneys worth.. not to mention free content updates. 
  • myca5Johnmyca5John Member Posts: 4

DO what you want!!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Is the discount that voucher thing on the website? Doe sit only apply to those 20 games listed?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Remember that a lot of games discount the original box after a while because they want to get you to start paying subscription fees.  ArenaNet doesn't have that incentive.
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

For that price you are getting WAY more game bang for your buck.

Totally worth it.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by delete5230

I would not expect a real discount until the first expantion is released. That could take 6 mo. to a year

This.  It took the GW1 campaigns years to be at a consistently low price.  As for GW2, I've already found it to be more valuable for its price than Skyrim, so make of that what you will.

• LifeEnderLifeEnder Member UncommonPosts: 45
    You should buy it and play it now.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    If you like to play solo, have no sense of community and like to craft (which is pointless). Go for it.  It's a game without a soul.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Quizzical
    Remember that a lot of games discount the original box after a while because they want to get you to start paying subscription fees.  ArenaNet doesn't have that incentive.
    They do have a cash shop, which is not that different as a source of income.

The other side would be the more you wait with buying a new MMO, the less people play in the starter zones, which makes playing in an MMO more boring.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

60$ for a lifetime sub of Gw2 never playing again because of boredom.

Like a clever user said today, "finally a MMO I can put aside".

How about you check out the trial of GW2 first, oh there is none! surprise! Why is that?

Anyway,  good alternative, get the new X Com, loads of fun and some brain training is included.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

60$ for a lifetime sub of Gw2 never playing again because of boredom.

Like a clever user said today, "finally a MMO I can put aside".

How about you check out the trial of GW2 first, oh there is none! surprise! Why is that?

Anyway,  good alternative, get the new X Com, loads of fun and some brain training is included.

smells like...

Best value for the money in MMO history...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

To me it is a good value for a month or two of playtime with my wife. She and I pretty much only play together, and it is a lot of fun, but it is not the game I would hoped it would be, not by a long shot. If you would spend that 41 Euro on any single player game that you enjoy, then it is well worth it. 

I do not imagine it will get any cheaper, certainly not prior to xmas. I would jump on that deal now if you wanted to play.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by Herodes

The other side would be the more you wait with buying a new MMO, the less people play in the starter zones, which makes playing in an MMO more boring.

Not only does less people in zones make MMORPGs less interactive socially, in a game like GW2 it is pretty much mandatory having a group for many of the champions etc, both world spawns and DEs. I have noticed some zones seem empty, though for the most part my wife and I have been able to find the folks we need to take down the champion mobs, but I could see it being a problem in the long term.

• AshenTechAshenTech Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Naral
    Originally posted by Herodes

Not only does less people in zones make MMORPGs less interactive socially, in a game like GW2 it is pretty much mandatory having a group for many of the champions etc, both world spawns and DEs. I have noticed some zones seem empty, though for the most part my wife and I have been able to find the folks we need to take down the champion mobs, but I could see it being a problem in the long term.

Gotta respond to this, the numbers in starter zones have cut way down, BUT if you see an event starting just /m in the chat window and let people know and link the closest way point, people WILL COME, I did this with my lvl12 necro today(3rd toon) and people showed up within 5 min to "Zerg" one of the major norn starter zone DE's.....

despite what some will say, the games not dead, its not low on players, at least not on the servers i have tried, you just need to use mapchat to let people know whats going on and where.....others will pickup the same thing and let you know where stuffs happening...

I have sat more then once for an hour + just talking with people, because it is a social game, I have ran into a handfull or jerks, but they tend to go away pretty fast when people ignore them(rclick name click ignore/block), the games mostly full of people just looking for a reason to team up with others and be social.....

I have met some really great people so far(been in this since before first bwe), mostly just running around doing random stuff, joining ad-hoc groups then finding out we had alot in common....one guy helped me get my story mission i was stuck on done, then we did his next 3(got him up to where i was) then we did 2 more, it was a blast, and when he finished the map, he got some exotic shoulders for my class, gave them to me because i helped him AND i gave him a rare hammer that was ALOT better then what he had.....

people in this game are great for the most part......anets doing a pretty good job dealing with real aholes and keeping the community clean....

that said: the game does have its warts and bugs, but anet are steadly bringing this game to a state that i would call gold...NO mmo has had this good a launch......hell MoP has at least as many bugs if not more, and its an expantion to WoW, a game thats 7 years old......

• JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103

Wrong. Companies discount their games after initial release to pick up sales after the initial launch, and that is EXACTLY what is going to happen to GW2.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• AshenTechAshenTech Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by JackFrosty

Wrong. Companies discount their games after initial release to pick up sales after the initial launch, and that is EXACTLY what is going to happen to GW2.

I also expect they will put the game up on Steam eventually, as gw1 is now, but, it wont be for a bit.

I could see them doing a christmas sale on sites like greenman and possibly even directly cutting the price by 10usd or so to get some sales, greenman already had the DE for 20bucks off recently(may still i havent checked)

their sales have been quite good, despite the week down time for online/restock they made over 2 million sales in a couple weeks time, thats impressive(over 1 million of them before the game even launched!!!) 

sure some people dont like the game, sure lower level zones have less people flooding them now.....but thats expected, I find it better now then early on, at least in every zone i enter there are people AND if you see a DE and /m it, people come running.....

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Yes, its worth buying. I'm tempted to get a second one at that price! :)

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by Tokken
    If you like to play solo, have no sense of community and like to craft (which is pointless). Go for it.  It's a game without a soul.

1. Join guild

2. Party with guild

3. ???

4. Profit

----------

1. Gather mats

2. Make yourself better gear than you already have

3. ???

4. Profit

This game has more soul than any MMO I can think of. It's the first time since my early days in Norrath that I feel like I'm in a world bigger than me begging to be explored.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    If you played it like a single player game, there is enough content to warrent $60 (100hrs+). Its worth the money

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher