Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Anet Comment on Botting

JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I'm going to take the gloves off here for a minute and generally be flat out rude. I am posting this here, because if I do on the main forums they will delete it and give me an infraction for it. 

As of today the thread on botting is now closed. 

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/On-Botting-and-What-We-re-Doing-About-It/page/12

It is 12 pages long and has 566 replies along with 84,516 views.

This is the final comment before it was closed.

The entire post comes off as condescending. Every hour are you kidding me? Mike (the one in charge of security) has not said a peep about botting since the original post was made on Sept 27th. In that time people have primarily posted screenshots, made comments about reporting bots and made comments on where they are finding bots. 

As of now the problem is worse than it was two weeks ago or even a month ago. The game is saturated with bots at most high lvl events. At this time the botters have zero fear of Anet. They bot openly 24/7 in clear view of all others players. 

I like this game.

I want to enjoy this game.

However, if this continues for another month and they keep their mouths shut about it. I will for the first time.. be encouraging people to leave this game. Both my friends and on the forums that I go to. It is out of control and they SHOULD have been better prepared for it. 

Comments

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Oh look another over exaggerating thread about bots. Still have to find my first plain as day bot. I'm sure I ran past a few, but no obvious ones that you and your like keep saying are running rampant throughout every zone of the game. Neither has my girlfriend for that matter.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    This is a major reason why I like these forums: you have a lot of freedom as long as you are not insulting another forum poster. Controversial  and/or "sensitive" topics can often be posted, despite whether or not I agree with them or the majority agrees with them.
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    its obvious that botting is a problem in any mmo, they are working on it. Case closed. What else do you expect
  • xavurexavure Member UncommonPosts: 24
    13 days have passed since sept.27....come on, give them some time to work and time to test their stuff internally before releasing it live.
    I'm getting tired of that instant generation that needs everything fixed right away.
    Just play the game and ignore bots they won't kill you....:-P
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Sooo once again someone is exaggerating the bot problem. As i posted on the multitude of other threads on this topic, no it is not en masse in every zone of every server. I haven't seen a single one on mine.

Secondly, no they shouldn't post about it every hour on the hour and yes I've seen crazy people on this game actually expect that. Yes, they actually are asking Anet to post about this problem constantly...really? they can't take care of the game while they are telling you (no we haven't finished the upgrades yet bla blah.) 

And finally, they posted already that they are even hiring in a specialized programmers team to add code to the game to detect bots and to detect heavy macro usage, even on bots outside of the game while the game is running. (WoW did this before enhancing their own macro system and it worked wonders).

When they put that code in place GOD HELP those botters because they're going to be banned en masse. 

If i were most players on this game i would look into ceasing using those macro apps even the ones that came with your keyboard or pad. :)

• RegomarRegomar Member Posts: 122

I play 2-3 hours a day and I've NEVER seen a bot.  Nobody named kfjhsdfsdkjf, no naked rangers, no bot chains. 

Methinks this 'epidenic' is greatly exaggerated.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Connmacart
    Oh look another over exaggerating thread about bots. Still have to find my first plain as day bot. I'm sure I ran past a few, but no obvious ones that you and your like keep saying are running rampant throughout every zone of the game. Neither has my girlfriend for that matter.

You are either on a low(est) population server. Play Spvp or WvW primairly or completely and utterly oblivious to everything going on around you. Sorry. 

I can take you into game right now and lead you around and point them out to you. At any time of day, every single day of the week. 

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269

Ummmm im in a lvl 65 zone andi see 2 huge bot trains running around... OP isnt lying but its ok if you wanna pretend there is no BOT problem... 

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by Acebets70

Ummmm im in a lvl 65 zone andi see 2 huge bot trains running around... OP isnt lying but its ok if you wanna pretend there is no BOT problem... 

[mod edit]

I logged in just yesterday to do some grinding for low-level crafting mats in Queensdale (keeping all my tradeskills current with the zone(s) I'm in) and quickly logged back out in disgust. All the grinding spots for said mats are simply infested with bots, teleporting ones at that.

Arenanet just doesn't seem to care at this point, and the fanboys ignoring the problem aren't helping things. In fact, I'd say they're making it worse by acting like a bunch of Arenanet 'yes men'.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    How do the bots hurt anybody? What if they were actually a big group of players instead of bots? Would it make you feel better? lol

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Kinda sad, really. I haven't seen this many bots since Asheron's Call. I never even seen this many when I played WoW.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

How is the post condescending?  I see it as Anet is more worried about actually fixing the problem than making sure everybody feels good about what they're doing.  They are aware of the problem, they are working on it as fast as they can.  Cluttering up the threads with posts about the same issue they are working on does nothing but waste time.

I for one am glad they are putting more resources into actually fixing problems than making sure the players "feel good" about having their posts answered.  There is a perfectly sound way to let Anet know when you see bots:  Report them in game.  That's what I do.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

You are either on a low(est) population server. Play Spvp or WvW primairly or completely and utterly oblivious to everything going on around you. Sorry. 

I can take you into game right now and lead you around and point them out to you. At any time of day, every single day of the week. 

I'm on Gandara (a high pop server of Europe) and botting, while indeed being present, is definitely not the major drama some try to make it to be.

Yes there are bots. But they didn't take the world over either.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    How do the bots hurt anybody? What if they were actually a big group of players instead of bots? Would it make you feel better? lol

Because they interfere with your questing, killing all the mobs.

Because they interfere with your harvesting, clearing all the nodes the moment they spawn.

On top of that, they use teleport hacks to instantly go from one spawn point to the other.

It was the same with Aion way back after launch. Entire zones were cleared of mobs by huge bot trains, preventing "real" players from questing!  It was absolutely terrible and was the main reason for me to quit that game at that time. As NCSoft didn't do anything to combat it! Bots that were reported were farming on the exact same spots more than a week later.

Just like with Aion, in GW2 bots are just running around in plain sight of everyone to see. Totally fearless.

Sure there were bots in WoW and EQ2 as well, but at least there they were more careful and sought out remote places, because they were actually scared to be banned.

Bots I reported in both WoW and EQ2 actually dissapeared within a couple hours to a day at most.

That's the difference.

• NotoriousXNotoriousX Member UncommonPosts: 197

couldnt agree more, i was never looking for bots, i dont care if they are there, there are plenty of mobs to wprk around and in case of an event? let them help hahaha , all i know is that i dont buy gold from bot companies and i enjoy my game with my guild doing our thing...bots will always be there in any game as long as there are ppl willing to pay for gold

Tormented echoes of a fallen Eden
    I longed for her beauty
    Yet from dust, she returned
    The dream, an enigma.... silent

Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Originally posted by Acebets70

Forget it. The fanboys would rather stick their fingers in their ears and shout, "LALALALALALALALALALALA", than actually admit that there's a problem.

I logged in just yesterday to do some grinding for low-level crafting mats in Queensdale (keeping all my tradeskills current with the zone(s) I'm in) and quickly logged back out in disgust. All the grinding spots for said mats are simply infested with bots, teleporting ones at that.

Arenanet just doesn't seem to care at this point, and the fanboys ignoring the problem aren't helping things. In fact, I'd say they're making it worse by acting like a bunch of Arenanet 'yes men'.

Anet doesn't seem to care?  That's funny considering that they just put out a "fix" recently to try to cut down on botting and people screamed about it.  So they fixed that as well.

Also, didn't I read somewhere that one of the 10 live teams they are creating is to specifically deal with botting/gold selling?  Yep, they don't care at all.

Yes, botting is a problem.  Especially in Queensdale.  I've been playing around in there recently and there are a lot of bots there especially in the Shaemoor area.  However, saying Anet doesn't seem to care is ridiculous.  They still allow for reporting the bots in game (they probably prefer that over posts in the forum), and they explicitly said they are working on it.

Instead of logging out, maybe you should have helped Anet by actually reporting the bots.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Because they interfere with your harvesting, clearing all the nodes the moment they spawn.

On top of that, they use teleport hacks to instantly go from one spawn point to the other.

While I dislike bots because they disrupt economy and feed the gold sellers, your reasons here aren't valid in GW2. Mobs are shared, they can't ninja them and stop you from "questing", they actually kind of help you in GW2. Nodes are shared, so they can't ninja them from you either. Basically, bots can't really badly interfere with your "questing" (for whatever that word means in GW2), and absolutely not with your harvesting.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

While I dislike bots because they disrupt economy and feed the gold sellers, your reasons here aren't valid in GW2. Mobs are shared, they can't ninja them and stop you from "questing", they actually kind of help you in GW2. Nodes are shared, so they can't ninja them from you either. Basically, bots can't really badly interfere with your "questing" (for whatever that word means in GW2), and absolutely not with your harvesting.

You are right. I forgot that nodes were shared.

That is a big improvement compared to lets say Aion, where mob spawn rates were also terrible. Making the problem worse at that time.

Still, with the teleport hacks it's an annoying and immersion killing experience. Especially with those random jittery names warping all over the place. :(

It was the same with Aion way back after launch. Entire zones were cleared of mobs by huge bot trains, preventing "real" players from questing!  It was absolutely terrible and was the main reason for me to quit that game at that time. As NCSoft didn't do anything to combat it! Bots that were reported were farming on the exact same spots more than a week later.

Just like with Aion, in GW2 bots are just running around in plain sight of everyone to see. Totally fearless.

Sure there were bots in WoW and EQ2 as well, but at least there they were more careful and sought out remote places, because they were actually scared to be banned.

Bots I reported in both WoW and EQ2 actually dissapeared within a couple hours to a day at most.

That's the difference.

They also can f up the economy of the game.

As for the quick response of those other companies, did you report these bots well after the games were released?  That may be part of the reason for the quick response.  They didn't have as many other bugs as a newly released game like GW2 has.  They also weren't nearly as popular in the beginning.

You DO realize that there are only TWO count them TWO US low population servers and ONE of them was not there until last week. right? yeah. ALL of the other ones say full ALL day long. The point he was making and I agree, is it's not anywhere near what people are claiming it to be. I actually saw multiple threads on mmorpg.com that claimed it was in EVERY zone on EVERY server US and EU. THAT's what his point was. 

If people spent more time playing the game and less time wondering what some gold farmer was doing, there might be some enjoyment possibly.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

That's the difference.

How about playing the game before you post about it.  You clearly have never played Guild Wars 2 ever.

Nobody can clear the harvesting nodes for you, they are there until YOU MINE THEM.  Same with mobs and quest.   Mobs spawn so fast that there is zero chance of them clearing all of them.  GW2 is built not to allow bots or others to stop you from progressing and it works very very well.   

Harvesting nodes are per your toon, not anybody else's toon.   There can be 500 bots running around mining and I will still be able to mine every node in the zone.  FACT.

GW2 Bots are also removed within a few days.  I reported 3 bots on Saturday morning and by Sunday they were gone.

Please try and play the game before you talk about it.  You clearly have never played GW2.  

Another hater that has never played the game but is some how an expert on the issues we have.  

Botting is an issue but biggest issue is idiot sellers on the trader selling stuff at a lost because of the tax system and screwing the market up for the rest of us.  When an 18 slot bag costs 2 gold to make after mining all the mats and it sells for 2g 20 silver.  That is not a good profit at all for the time it takes to get the mats.

Sooner or Later

The other thing that gets me about the expectations of the people writing these threads is this.

Just because you report it, doesn't mean they have the manpower to instantly make the botter disappear. It's a new game with bugs and security pains that they are working through. They are actually hiring new support staff, new staff on getting new code to handle detection of bots and macros. They aren't sitting around looking at YOUR report of a bot and clicking the ban button on that one bot report. People who claim this really dunno how this works. I've reported bots in a multitude of mmo's over the years NEVER have i ever seen the botter disappear in the next few seconds much less the same day. smh

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by itgrowls

You DO realize that there are only TWO count them TWO US low population servers and ONE of them was not there until last week. right? yeah. ALL of the other ones say full ALL day long. The point he was making and I agree, is it's not anywhere near what people are claiming it to be. I actually saw multiple threads on mmorpg.com that claimed it was in EVERY zone on EVERY server US and EU. THAT's what his point was. 

If people spent more time playing the game and less time wondering what some gold farmer was doing, there might be some enjoyment possibly.

Report them and do what my guild does to them.  Train them until they are dead and laugh and go about your business.

We killed a 3 player bot Train on Saturday morning after we reported them.   Waited til they ran to a node and trained all mobs in the area to them and watched them die.  Killed the mobs and left for our dungeon run.

Sooner or Later

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

It is condencending post by ANET but truthfully, ALL their responses have the "We know better, you don't know s***" kind of sound to them. Its a bit agitating to me but I'm use to seeing them do it by now.

There is a bot problem and unforuntately their design of the game has made bots that much worst. Teleporting bots only exagerates the botting problem that much more. The fact people can pick out bots so easily and that every player can recall seeing them (don't be ignorant and say you haven't, ignoring they exist makes a game you love worst, not better) is a very bad thing for GW2. 

My biggest issue though isn't bots (I don't really play the game much, it bores me to much now, even trying to level alts) but the attitude ANET seems to posses in their responses. Something about their "we know better then you" attitude just really aggitates me and I feel is the wrong approach to have. I think Trion might of spoiled me though. Its fine if you think your methods are best, but at least be nice about it and don't be so condencending to your player base.