Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supposed changes yet?

McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Well, it's been 6 months since one of the devs of Wurm Online posted on this site about adding new character models and other graphic improvements to the game. I am wondering where is the noise he said he was going to make when the changes were ready?

Some may find this thread impatient, but I hardly see it that way seeing that the dev who posted, gave the impression that the changes were near completion 6 months ago. 

If those changes weren't imminent, then it wouldn't have made much sense to post his comment about the review being a "ninja" review in his opinion. 

I visit this Web site daily, so it would be odd if I missed a big announcement involving graphics improvement to Wurm Online. An update with a more accurate timeframe from the dev(s) would be great, since most other game devs do when they are close to releasing new content. 

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Spiders, Wolves, Deer and Chickens are now fully animated (with new models) - and honestly, triple-A material.

People immediately bitched (not surprising) that spiders were too scary, so they patched in a 'Phobia Mode" that turns them into slimes. As for character models, not yet, but there is video evidence of it and piecemeal armor showing wherever it's worn. Plus, it's animated.

~On the timeframe, though, give em an effin' break. It's not a Blizzard game, where they have a huge budget and would still take their damned sweet time simply because they could. They talked about rooms in buildings and a 2nd story to houses for YEARS, and they fairly recently patched in the former aspect. Have patience or simply forget the game and move on, it moves slowly (in more ways than one).

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I'm all for giving the devs the benefit of a doubt when necessary. However, there are far smaller companies in the industry that have accomplished more in less time, so I don't exactly feel sorry for the dev team of Wurm Online at the moment. 

My thread is fairly simple in nature so I appreciate most of the feedback given, even with the typical backlash from any fanbase telling non-believers to move on if they don't like something.  

Thanks again though for the info and hopefully the character models get implemented soon because I feel that is the major issue other than animations holding the game back.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by Czanrei

I'm all for giving the devs the benefit of a doubt when necessary. However, there are far smaller companies in the industry that have accomplished more in less time, so I don't exactly feel sorry for the dev team of Wurm Online at the moment. 

My thread is fairly simple in nature so I appreciate most of the feedback given, even with the typical backlash from any fanbase telling non-believers to move on if they don't like something.  

Thanks again though for the info and hopefully the character models get implemented soon because I feel that is the major issue other than animations holding the game back.

Far smaller? really? I thought Rolf was pretty much a one man Dev team or am I mistaken here?

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by ozmono

Far smaller? really? I thought Rolf was pretty much a one man Dev team or am I mistaken here?

I think he has some paid workers these days, a step up from the volunteer artists the game survived on for the longest time... but yeah, you have really messed up expectations Czan.

Minecraft has content produced faster than this one, but it has around 5 programmers and a single artist... because it doesn't require much in the way of manpower to update the art. This one does.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

Well, it's been 6 months since one of the devs of Wurm Online posted on this site about adding new character models and other graphic improvements to the game. I am wondering where is the noise he said he was going to make when the changes were ready?

Some may find this thread impatient, but I hardly see it that way seeing that the dev who posted, gave the impression that the changes were near completion 6 months ago. 

If those changes weren't imminent, then it wouldn't have made much sense to post his comment about the review being a "ninja" review in his opinion. 

I visit this Web site daily, so it would be odd if I missed a big announcement involving graphics improvement to Wurm Online. An update with a more accurate timeframe from the dev(s) would be great, since most other game devs do when they are close to releasing new content. 

It took Rolf what, 5 years to come up with the Epic fail server, and that didn't even involve any programming.

He's been promising multistory buildings for just as long and probably hasn't written a single line of code. Don't hold your breathe. It's the old carrot-on-a-stick game.

Originally posted by GTwander

Minecraft has content produced faster than this one, but it has around 5 programmers and a single artist... because it doesn't require much in the way of manpower to update the art. This one does.

Also, Notch can code. That's how he could make money to hire said programmers. Notch also made Wurm in about a year, didn't he, and left it to die with Rolf, who hasn't got anything done since then.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Originally posted by FastSloth

Also, Notch can code. That's how he could make money to hire said programmers. Notch also made Wurm in about a year, didn't he, and left it to die with Rolf, who hasn't got anything done since then.

Notch and Rolf are partners.   Notch essentially was the client developer, Rolf server developer.   With very little interlap between the two.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

Originally posted by anemo
    Originally posted by FastSloth

Notch and Rolf are partners.   Notch essentially was the client developer, Rolf server developer.   With very little interlap between the two.

I'm not sure if that's meant to contradict me. Yea, Rolf was the server dev, Notch was the client day. And Rolf sucked so Notch ditched him. Probably because Rolf can't even set up a website that doesn't allow SQL injection via php. That is a very basic issue.

Now he's got people to work for him because he made enough money to go on holidays a few times a year with something that Notch probably created almost single-handedly - at which times he left the server absolutely unattended, causing days long downtimes reimbursed with ALSO BROKEN sleep bonus.

Rolf is veeery far up on the list of fail devs. If you can call him a dev. Administrator, yes. Developer.. not so sure.

• TesinatoTesinato Member UncommonPosts: 222
    My goodness you guys are harsh on him.  At least you guys got a game to play, and a half way decent one that doesn't exist at the current moment.  I realize he isn't the best when it comes to running the game, but he is trying his best I'd imagine.  He wouldn't keep putting out updates, and working on these upgrades if he didn't care and love his creation.  So how about trying to make what he has make if you can be so critical of him. 
    Originally posted by Tesinato
    My goodness you guys are harsh on him.  At least you guys got a game to play, and a half way decent one that doesn't exist at the current moment.  I realize he isn't the best when it comes to running the game, but he is trying his best I'd imagine.  He wouldn't keep putting out updates, and working on these upgrades if he didn't care and love his creation.  So how about trying to make what he has make if you can be so critical of him. 

What has he made? "His creation"? Did you even read my posting? I mean I don't care, I don't play this anymore. Because it's not going anywhere, to answer the OP. Which is also what Notch said: "When asked if Wurm would shut down due to his resigning, Markus said 'Wurm's not going anywhere.'"

This game has its qualities. It's the best terraforming grinder mmorpg. That's what it is. Whether it's really a sandbox or not is subject to interpretation, since it has almost no social interaction at all. And don't give me that "it's so supercomplex that you don't understand it" nonsense. There's nothing supercomplex about an inner circle of whiners on their forums who cry as loud as they can whenever Rolf attempts to make the game more noob-friendly by lowering the grinding timers, threatening to "devaluate" their "achievements" of the past 5-10 years.

Oh and it only costs 5€. That's also good. Kind of. Although I think that even a 5€ game should be playable and have customer support. When I started playing we had 30 seconds of lag for a few weeks straight and similar things still happen.

But fun-wise.. if you have fun grinding yourself into nirvana.. Then this is pretty cool I guess.

Btw "do it better", seriously? LOL in so many ways.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990
    Originally posted by Tesinato

Ah, look again, it's practically only one poster that's so harsh. I don't know his agenda but most of his posts on MMORPG.com are bashes of Swedish sandbox devs, i.e. Mortal Online and Wurm. No idea why.

Personally, I'm happily playing Wurm and I find plenty of personal interaction in it - in my opinion it's one of the best sandboxes around. And I don't have 30 seconds of lag as well. :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

Originally posted by Larsa
    Ah, look again, it's practically only one poster that's so harsh. I don't know his agenda but most of his posts on MMORPG.com are bashes of Swedish sandbox devs, i.e. Mortal Online and Wurm. No idea why.

I'm racist.

• daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361

It seems that 90% of the content now days isn't from ROLF.  For example the models and art are coming from a 3rd party company. 

While a lot of the other content, like multi-story housing, is coming from another developer (or it seems that way, as he's always the one posting about it on the forums when they get new things added)

• nkitznkitz Member Posts: 69

After 6+ years of gameplay I've had the displeasure of being told by Rolf on the forum and his blog recently of new and upcoming things, I was teased with screen shots that we're posted on their threads on the forum. When a year passes they post saying it's still being worked on and then another year goes by and the same thing. We have heard about two story houses for nearly the whole development cycle of the game along with animations, still nothing really has been completed.

The game is fun so play it and enjoy it but don't hang around thinking some major update is coming soon. Let your sub go and check back and see, you'll find it's still a year or two off and maybe another year or two after that.

The progress is slow and he's outsourcing much of it because he lacks the experience to really do it. I don't think the game was really setup for it and it's nearing 8 years old, so all that tech is old now and hasn't really been updated to current standards, so they have to rig things to work and make plugins to import work. Play it, enjoy it, and leave when you reach that point. Don't believe anything that is posted as you'll just be wasting your time and money waiting on things that may never go in game.

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

I left Wurm online about 3 years ago, I am glad it is getting some updates FINALLY.

On the otherhand I agree with one poster that said, Rolf has been playing the "carrot on a stick" game with most of the game population.

Lets look at what has happened.

He removed the home servers and condensed them down to the WILD server, which was popular for about 3 months then died.   He then created the Epic server, which was cool for about 2 weeks then died.   Then he rereleased the home servers and went back to the old setup that Notch and he had, and claimed it was new.... well we see how well thats going, there are people who play but they get bored and comeback months later.  

PVP is still pretty rare, trading is rarer, all anyone does is build and grind, like they did when I was active.   I love the concept of Wurm online I love the gameplay for the most part.  I love the depth of Wurm online.

I hate Rolf's lazy attitude towards the game and its community.  

When asked about bridges, he answers "he is working on it."

multi-story buildings, working on it.

customizable avatars, working on it.

boarding hostile ships, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Damaging hostile ships with siege weapons (catapults), NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Moving animals on ships, not happening.

The list goes on....  Its not that he doesnt have the skill to do these things, he just doesnt put forth the effort.

So much crap, so little quality.