Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will WoW ever get a graphics update? It needs one

I hope by the next expansion the entire World/Models will have a major graphics update. I heard they were gonna redo the race models first but when will they do this? The Character creation system really needs some work. I wanna adjust facial features and want it to be very detailed like Skyrims Character creation, they should have height adjustments to.

Comments

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Don't foget that engine is really old now, it is very limited today and don't expect wonders.
  • azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

There are rumors going around that they're going to give all the races a model update to match the increased polygon count that pandarian models have.

Not sure if its been confirmed, but there's that. Full game graphical update? don't count on it.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Originally posted by azrael466
    There are rumors going around that they're going to give all the races a model update to match the increased polygon count that pandarian models have.Not sure if its been confirmed, but there's that. Full game graphical update? don't count on it.
    They are working on a graphical update for the playable races. Blizzard has said that Dwarves were the first to be finished.

Just dont expect them to be released until the next expansion.

• Butcher_IncButcher_Inc Member Posts: 17
    I'd start playing if they gave it the full overhaul. Shame I sold my account or I'd be teabagging pandas atm.
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

There are rumors going around that they're going to give all the races a model update to match the increased polygon count that pandarian models have.

Not sure if its been confirmed, but there's that. Full game graphical update? don't count on it.

They are working on a graphical update for the playable races. Blizzard has said that Dwarves were the first to be finished.

Just dont expect them to be released until the next expansion.

I don't see why, sure graphical updates are a huge thing worthy of an expansion, but blizzard as never struck me as the type to hold something like that back for an expansion if it was ready almost a full year, unless it's specifically made FOR the expansion; IE, pandarians, professions and the like.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Originally posted by Xiaoki   Originally posted by azrael466 There are rumors going around that they're going to give all the races a model update to match the increased polygon count that pandarian models have.   Not sure if its been confirmed, but there's that. Full game graphical update? don't count on it.
    They are working on a graphical update for the playable races. Blizzard has said that Dwarves were the first to be finished.   Just dont expect them to be released until the next expansion.
    I don't see why, sure graphical updates are a huge thing worthy of an expansion, but blizzard as never struck me as the type to hold something like that back for an expansion if it was ready almost a full year, unless it's specifically made FOR the expansion; IE, pandarians, professions and the like.

So they can use the graphic update as a major bullet point for the expansion.

Also, what Blizzard are you talking about? This is Ghostcrawler's WoW now. He doesnt want anything major to be changed or released mid expansion.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

The Worgen also already had increased polygon count.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

I'm not realy sure what you're on about, WoW looks gorgeous for the most part, even by today's standards - in the new zones! Obviously, if you put a (naked) human in the middle of Elwynn Forest, it still looks like complete shit.

I'm running everything at max (ultra) and honestly, it looks better than the low poly / high shader GW2 fiasco.

Miles better.

I'm not a stranger to high end graphics, either, just got done with a session of Battlefield 3, yet when I start up WoW I don't feel like it's lacking *AT ALL*.

WoW's always been knocked for having stylized/cartoonish graphics (= bad graphics, in an unstable, crazy mind, I suppose), yet that's what allowed it to look current for as long as it did.

"Realistic" graphics age EXTREMELY fast (look at Vanguard, AOC, or any game in that style really, utter garbage looking today).

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by Impeator101
    I hope by the next expansion the entire World/Models will have a major graphics update. I heard they were gonna redo the race models first but when will they do this? The Character creation system really needs some work. I wanna adjust facial features and want it to be very detailed like Skyrims Character creation, they should have height adjustments to.

To update the graphics they'd simply need to update all game clients + textures/graphics. That would result in a huge mandatory download/patch. Since this only affects the client side and not the server side changes to the code should be manageable. Of course they'd need to assign more graphics artists to the team as that aspect would require most resources.

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    WoW need a new Graphic Engine... Loading more stuff on that old engine will make it stupidly heavy for what it gives... like it is now... but i dont think that Blizzard would give so much resources for a game that is on its dawn... maybe if they were 4 years ago maybe they would..
  • SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110
    WoW never looked great, and its never been why people played the game so it would mostly be a waste of money. They should focus on more content instead of better graphics.
  • nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

To this day it's the only MMO that got the responsiveness of the animations right. The only MMO.

To me, personally, that's enough to put it over the top graphically over basically anything eles.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by nsignific

To this day it's the only MMO that got the responsiveness of the animations right. The only MMO.

To me, personally, that's enough to put it over the top graphically over basically anything eles.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I like the way WoW looks. If they really enhanced the graphics, many computers would not be able to play the game.

I it fine the way it is.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

That's a big reason why they redid the starter zones.

Game companies rarely make major engine changes, especially for such an old game.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

It just is not needed.   Most people who dislike WOW´s graphics dislike the art style they chose to use on it.   So upgrading the graphics really won´t make those people happy anyway.. they will still say ´cartoony´. 

Graphics are such an overrated part of a game anyway.  I can mention a multitude of games that spent huge amounts of money on their graphics only to have gameplay suck because of it.    All games have a budget, and you have to be careful where you spend the money.   The other thing with high-rez graphics is framerates.   Again, I will mention AOC who pushed the graphics to the limit, but then had to have hundreds of loading screens because their zone areas had to be very small.

The graphics are awesome in the new zones, new player characters and new mobs are awesome.  They will go back and upgrade some of the old character models over time, but expecting them to change their art style is just dreaming.  It will never happen.

Even upgrading the character races will be a risk.  I am betting when they do the new dwarfs, there will be a lot of outcry from people who want the older ones.

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206

Originally posted by azrael466 There are rumors going around that they're going to give all the races a model update to match the increased polygon count that pandarian models have.   Not sure if its been confirmed, but there's that. Full game graphical update? don't count on it.
    They are working on a graphical update for the playable races. Blizzard has said that Dwarves were the first to be finished.   Just dont expect them to be released until the next expansion.
    So they can use the graphic update as a major bullet point for the expansion.

Also, what Blizzard are you talking about? This is Ghostcrawler's WoW now. He doesnt want anything major to be changed or released mid expansion.

Not necesarily that as much as building a hype for it. What I mean is, if you release something like this on a random day a lot of people will freak out. I know that people that frequent sites like this are "in the know" but a lot of the WoW playerbase is super oblivious to anything remotely huge if it doenst fall into their radar. If they make the new character models a expansion feature, then a lot more people would be eased into it and it would diminish the outcry of the community because their char models looked different. Trust me, while a lot of us want a change there are people that have grown attached to their characters these past 8+ years and can find discrepancies on the spot. A few years ago blizzard tried to change the Orc models and the result were a bit smaller shoulers; in a matter of hours there were already people going WTF on the forums. Now imagine that times 100000000 when your entire character plus its animations are brand new and you had no idea it was coming. 

I think that easing the majority of the playerbase leading up to an expasnion would be the best way to do it. 

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I think WoW looks very good considering its age, especially the newer zones.  It really looks like a 3D animated Disney film.  The decision to go with the stylized art direction was a huge benefit.  Blizzard has some very talented people working in their art department.  Even other games that attempt a stylized art direction (99% of MMORPGs released after 2004) seem to graphically age far faster.

I do think the character models need an update though.  The human models are abysmal.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

I hadn't checked out WoW in a few years and watched some pals playing MOP. Still looked alright to me. It's stylized as far as the art goes, but WoW's animation is still pretty top notch. 

a yo ho ho

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    Don't foget that engine is really old now, it is very limited today and don't expect wonders.

I think the engine is actually still really viable, and since it's built in-house, they don't have to wait for major revisions for newer features.  What's needed is just higher polygon models and maybe some better animations.

You make me like charity

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    This post is trollin' them softly. All zones have been revamped and look better, BC had graphics upgrades in outlands and new  content. WotLK had graphics updates in Northrend and the wotlk content. Cataclysm reworked the old world, and the new content looked better. But MoP's new maps look gorgeous, opinion obviously. They are pushing there amazing engine to the limits, and would basically have to make "wow2" to upgrade it further, thats how much work it would be.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Playable races aside, a graphics update would be a massive waste of time.  WoW looks fine, and increased graphics generally makes games run worse and be tougher to develop for.  In fact, increased graphical capacity is probably the #1 reason we dont get expansions the size of Kunark, Velious, or Luclin anymore.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Its needed an update since it launched, and has never gotten one. Why would they do it now?
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Its needed an update since it launched, and has never gotten one. Why would they do it now?

Cata never happened, right? right?

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Cata never happened, right? right?

Let me rephrase.

WoW has looked out of date and hokey since the day it launched. None of its graphics updates have ever brought it up to par. Now instead of looking like its from 2000, it looks like its from 2005.