Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW has the most diverse Environments out of any MMO?

I can't think of any MMO that has so many diverse looking Zones. Every single Zone in WoW feels like something new and they don't have only the typical Desert/Snow/Grassland areas that you see in most MMO's, they have weird exotic looking places that have a range of many colors.

Can any of you think of a MMO that has such a diverse range of settings like WoW has? I can't and as far as I know Guild Wars 2 only has the typical Desert/Snow/Grassland areas with minor variations in between. 

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    It does give a nice 'ooh, something new feel' when you enter each zone but it doesn't really make much sense geographically so you wouldn't find it in most other MMOs. I'd say it probably the most diverse out of all of them.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Name a zone in WoW that isn't a desert, snow, fire, or grassland.  All their zones pretty much fit into one of these.  I love WoW's zones, but I don't think they're all that unique.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by just1opinion

Name a zone in WoW that isn't a desert, snow, fire, or grassland.  All their zones pretty much fit into one of these.  I love WoW's zones, but I don't think they're all that unique.

STV - jungle

Swamp of Sorrows - swamp

Next?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Imperator101Imperator101 Member Posts: 131
    All those exotic looking zones in Outland and Northrend, I don't care if it makes sense geographically, I wanna be in a new place every time I enter a new zone with it looking completely different. No other MMO has something like this, only WoW does and you can make WoW's graphics pretty good if you max them with a macro and use a graphics mod with the new Direct X 11 feature.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

When you look at Azeroth, it seems they don't care about whether the geographical progression makes sense or not.

Oddly, I've never been bothered by it. I guess they thought of it as more of an artistic issue than a realistic / authentic one. Blizzard sure knows how to work those color palettes and ambient music.

Thanks to that, when you run the length of Kalimdor, you're treated to all kinds of mood. Sure, you might stop and go "What kind of ridiculous place is this?!", but you still instantly get a feel for the area.

Remember that first time you stepped into Un'goro Crater? The ominous music, the mist and that Devilsaur walking out there? Impressive stuff. Especially thinking you were just in a desert two minutes ago listening to soothing Tanaris music!! :)

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

STV - jungle

Swamp of Sorrows - swamp

Next?

Okay, but both of those fit under types of grasslands in my book, but sure, okay.  I'm not the enemy, you don't have to act like an ass.  I said I like WoW.  I played it for 7 years.  I just have a bit different definition of "types of zones" than you do, apparently.  Green is grassland to me, for the most part.  Green trees, grass, grassy swampland....all grasslands.

Oh yeah....WoW has "rock zones" too.  That one's more unique, I suppose.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

STV - jungle

Swamp of Sorrows - swamp

Next?

vasir - water

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

STV - jungle

Swamp of Sorrows - swamp

Next?

Okay, but both of those fit under types of grasslands in my book, but sure, okay.  I'm not the enemy, you don't have to act like an ass.  I said I like WoW.  I played it for 7 years.  I just have a bit different definition of "types of zones" than you do, apparently.  Green is grassland to me, for the most part.  Green trees, grass, grassy swampland....all grasslands.

Not meaning to be an ass (this time, anyway). Just pointing out that walking across Mulgore is very different than walking through STV.

Now if you had said "every zone is orange, white, brown or green", I'd agree with that. But as was pointed out above me, there is a blue zone, so.......

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    It does give a nice 'ooh, something new feel' when you enter each zone but it doesn't really make much sense geographically so you wouldn't find it in most other MMOs. I'd say it probably the most diverse out of all of them.
    Variety is the spice of life.

If I wanted to see endless grassland in all directions I would look out the window.

If Im playing a video game I want fantastical environments that are not possible in the real world. I dont care if it "doesn't really make much sense".

STV - jungle

Swamp of Sorrows - swamp

Next?

Not meaning to be an ass (this time, anyway). Just pointing out that walking across Mulgore is very different than walking through STV.

Now if you had said "every zone is orange, white, brown or green", I'd agree with that. But as was pointed out above me, there is a blue zone, so.......

You're right.  I'm still not sure it's the MOST unique game, as far as zones, but it's at least refreshing.  I always enjoyed going from zone to zone and didn't feel disappointed that it was more of the same.  That's pretty good, actually. I don't have that feeling with most games.

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292

Well let's be real here for a bit. WoW has been out how long? Something like eight years? You add new areas and lands with big patches and expansions so who is there to compare WoW to? You said GW2 but it was released a little more than a month ago...what do you expect? For them to unlock every area upon launch and leave nothing for their expansions? And their lands are more diverse than what you are giving them especially since quite a bit can take place underwater as well. But many lands are obviously waiting for expansion like Elona and such.

No other games with some resemblance of population have been around as long as WoW and they are the only ones you can try for this comparison at this stage. Maybe EQ2 but I didn't fully explore that one to know of all the lands accessible there. What I did see was rather diverse but I didn't like the presentation. World felt clay like to me.

• Havok2allHavok2all Member UncommonPosts: 190
    I'd have to say original EQ has more variety, but it has been around a lot lonmger and they had to be more creative with both good and bad results. Heck, EQ has a moon terrain type zone complete with lack of oxygen.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

If I wanted to see endless grassland in all directions I would look out the window.

If Im playing a video game I want fantastical environments that are not possible in the real world. I dont care if it "doesn't really make much sense".

I'm of the other thought. i want environments that make sense. I remember going from one environment in WoW to a jungle and though WTF?

I think that was also when I lost patience for the game.

Differing enviroments are nice but I like them to make sense or at least have some reason why one extreme enviroment is adjacent to another.

Otherwise it feels like the  "everything but the kitchen sink" approach to design and that always feels cheap to me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

I didn't say there was anything wrong with variety or fantastical environments. TERA, Aion and many others MMOs do a great job of offering that, with the transition being across a grander and less penned-in worldspace.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    EverQuest did it first and still has a very diverse set of ecosystems in its world and otherworld structure.  I'd say it's more diverse than World of Warcraft.