Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

to late to start fresh?

Hello! I currently have not played WoW since back in 2004 or 2005 when just the original game was released. I maxed then a lvl 60 Tauren Shaman.  I was just curious with the release of MoP and all the other expansions if the game was worth coming back to try? I figure I might just continue to play my Shaman or even possibly a new character from scratch at lvl 1.  Would I be to far behind? Is it worth coming back to if I did not play any of the other expansions?  I know this game has raids and PvP now.  I decided to quit I believe after the battleground arenas were implemented but has pvp changed much since?

Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• BoognisheBoognishe Member Posts: 83

It's definitely not too late.

I highly suggest starting a new character.  The game has changed so much since you last played, you'll really need to start fresh.

It's super fun leveling through the Dungeon Finder imo.  And with the new monk class and Panda race (lots of new characters being created), the queues are minimal.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    I played in 2010 last time and if i was to resub i'll start over.   There is no point of playing my level 85 char after a 2 years hiatus.   And dont forget WOW is all about the journey and not the end game, at least in my opinion.
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I just started fresh on a new server. All of the leveling zones in the old world have been redone and most are pretty cool. The dungeon finder is also an amazing tool if you're looking to gear up and level quickly. At the low levels I've actually had *gasp* conversations with my group mates! Pretty interesting stuff.

Not too late at all.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Think you got that the wrong way there. Wow is all about the end-game. That's why they streamlined and sped up the levelling process. They also devalued their own lore heritage through the wholesale changes to the world.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• insideout321insideout321 Member Posts: 71

Its never to late man , i just came back and started frsh myself, im only lvl 12 and just joined a great mature guild on the bronzebeard server. If you need others that are low level to group with and want to work your way up you should joni that server and hop into the guild that i joined. Me and you could group and the leaders have some alt monks there leveling up and are only lvl 13 would be good so you can re learn the game have others to talk with and group with .

My toons name is Exovius on there and the leaders are a married couple her name is arabellah

If your starting fresh like i am it would be cool to have someone to level up with look us up if your interested.

We also have vent , the guild is lvl 9 so there are some perks , its a smaller guild and we could use a few more to make 5 mans later after we gear up ect.. Also the leaders are a married couple in there 30's 40's..

Thanks!

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Heath901

Hello! I currently have not played WoW since back in 2004 or 2005 when just the original game was released. I maxed then a lvl 60 Tauren Shaman.  I was just curious with the release of MoP and all the other expansions if the game was worth coming back to try? I figure I might just continue to play my Shaman or even possibly a new character from scratch at lvl 1.  Would I be to far behind? Is it worth coming back to if I did not play any of the other expansions?  I know this game has raids and PvP now.  I decided to quit I believe after the battleground arenas were implemented but has pvp changed much since?

Thanks a bunch.

Each new expansion resets everyones progress so you can never be too far behind. PVP has not changed too much  (more Battlegrounds, no twinks). You would not recognize your Shaman today as the same class it was seven years ago. I would not start from 60, I would start from 1. Make sure you take mining as a profession otherwise the AH inflation will kill you.

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by Muppetier

Thanks a bunch.

Each new expansion resets everyones progress so you can never be too far behind. PVP has not changed too much  (more Battlegrounds, no twinks). You would not recognize your Shaman today as the same class it was seven years ago. I would not start from 60, I would start from 1. Make sure you take mining as a profession otherwise the AH inflation will kill you.

Forget about mining, go herbalism. Golden lotus sells for a shit ton and usually all the mats for potions as well. 

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Yep I'd reroll a new toon and just play like you're a complete noob to the game. There's a good deal out on all the previous expansions for something like $20.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Thanks a bunch.

It's never too late imo. Come on back.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Ever 3-4 months they basically clean the slate and your up to par with everyone else. Content/gear is quickly trivialized in the game and super easy to catch up to no matter how bad you might be. In that regard, if you DID want to play this game (people do?) then you should have 0 problems. If your wanting to actually make progress and all in the game, then your probably not going to find yourself enjoying it much considering if you play from day 1 of expansion to end, a person who started near the very end will quickly catch up and can be on par with you with far less effort.
  • GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    I would suggest to play the free version first and see if you like the new world changes; previous expansion, Cataclysm, changed the landmass, quests mechanics and many other things, so you will see a new game prettyy much; even if you don't have Cataclysm, both continents, Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms were changed.

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

I must agree, it's really not too late, leveling quite fast , dungeons queues are almost instant ( even as dps ). The only thing that  can be harder to get is your epic flying, but apart from that you should always have enough gold to buy all you need.

Welcome back!

• hpy7871hpy7871 Member Posts: 14
    Absolutely worth checking out with the addition of lich king to the battle chest you get the first three parts for 19.99 not a bad deal just reroll and try to find a nice helpful guild i think you be surprised at how much has changed and will have a great time learning all over again
  • WookieebobWookieebob Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Think you got that the wrong way there. Wow is all about the end-game. That's why they streamlined and sped up the levelling process. They also devalued their own lore heritage through the wholesale changes to the world.

He said "In my opinion".

If you come back you should probably reroll, at least untill you get the hang of it again.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I gathered it was his opinion. As for reroll comment- bit weird.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Yes and no.

WoW has always been about offering a variety of ways to play the game. The leveling has always been good but they also put a lot of effort into the end game as well, bringing in EQ stalwarts for example to develop raids etc.

imo you can do both; play a nw character and get used to your old character as well. 

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

you will be very shocked from all the changes.

first of all it takes like 3 to 5 days to get to level 80, then maybe a week to get to end level. Levellin is so friken fast in WoW i dont even know why they still have it.

second, once you reach end level that where the game actually starts.

third, "the game" is besically a huge gear grind where all you do is sit in a city and click your "Looking for Dungeon" button until you are transported to an instance with a random pug of people that are not even from your server. Same goes raids, or pvp battle grounds or arenas.

enjoy.

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240
    I gathered it was his opinion. As for reroll comment- bit weird.

Not weird. If the OP only played vanilla, rerolling is most likely the best thing to do. The shaman today is a completly different beast compared to the shaman from all those years ago. Practically everything has changed in some way. Plus, seeing that the OP has already leveled on character to level 60 in the vanilla days, seeing all those zones once more, but now changed by the Cataclysm, sounds pretty exciting. To me at least.

To the OP, it's not to late to start again, leveling is pretty fast and most of the content is new for you. Lots to see and lots to do!

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

if u played the clasic WoW, dont try the expansions... they will ruin your old wow experience. The game since the TBC became:

-easy in general

-epic loot is easy to get

-you farm honor(remember the clasic wow pvp rank system? forget it)

-no 40man raids when everyone knew what to do

-you can go almost everywhere from the city

-dungeon finders etc. 

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Hell, I just came back after 10 months.  Although I have a few level 85's, I still started a new toon to learn the system and to enjoy the ride.

Join the crowd

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

It's never too late to star fresh. It's done on purpose. All the stuff you worked so hard for the previous expansion has become trivial and next to worthless. Get ready for the new shinnies. If you actually just want the journey to cap, then your decision should be even easier.

It's never too late with WoW. They're always on the lookout for fresh blood.

imageimage
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049
    If you level using the dungeon finder and some questing will you make enough for the riding skills ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by cheyane
    If you level using the dungeon finder and some questing will you make enough for the riding skills ?

Yes, gold is not a problem anymore, even if you only use dungeon finder for leveling. Sure, you will not probably make the gold to take Master Riding (4k if i remember right) but that's not mandatory.

And to answer the OP: it's the best time to start fresh. Unlike Cataclysm, they've got this expansion right.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Wear thick armor plates in dungeon finder, the community went from the best to the most bashing anoying namecalling scum of the earth in any mmo.

So ignore as many of these scum as you can so you dont ever group with them.
    (yes if you ignore a moron you wont ever see them in a random dungeon again)
    Also i sugest you make a tank class and have massive fun and insta queue for random dungeons, but beware, people expect you to finish a dungeon witnin 1 min of entering ;)

I played from 2004/2012 before calling it quits, but many of my friends still play it :)

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

You will be level 90 in a week. Then you will be able to sit around with others in trade chat talking about how so and so sucks.

But I agree, you should go back if you are looking for something to do - But not anything thats actually a challenge.

Have fun!