Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best RTS

Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684
Hey everyone, i really Enjoy playing W3 and SC, I was wondering if there are any other RTS's that you can recommend, thanks :)

Comments

• Supreme Commander and Company of Heroes are my two favorites. Supreme Commander is fun because it's large-scale action, commanding hundreds of units over huge maps. Company of Heroes is smaller scale, with lots of detail given to things like using terrain and cover, and maneuvering units (slip tankbusters to the rear of a vehicle to get a damage bonus, that sort of thing). Both have been out for years so if you're interested you should be able to find them for cheap. I think they both have demos online, as well.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Sawtooth
    Supreme Commander and Company of Heroes are my two favorites. Supreme Commander is fun because it's large-scale action, commanding hundreds of units over huge maps. Company of Heroes is smaller scale, with lots of detail given to things like using terrain and cover, and maneuvering units (slip tankbusters to the rear of a vehicle to get a damage bonus, that sort of thing). Both have been out for years so if you're interested you should be able to find them for cheap. I think they both have demos online, as well.

/thread

This is what I've summised from this question  (ie non SC options). GJ for Macro to Micro in terms of managing units image

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    WC3 was my favorite, but I'm not an RTS officianado.  I thought Battle for Middle Earth and its sequel were fun but I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the IP.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

As mentioned Company of Heroes is good fun, also the first Warhammer 40k Dawn of War + exp packs is well worth checking out if you like that kind of thing. I would say Dawn of War II but i think they took out nearly everything that was fun in the origional.. but might be worth a look if you can pick it up cheap.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

company of heroes

dawn of war 1 series

both the above have a lesser emphasis on resourse gathering and a greater emphasis on tactics than traditional c&c/ sc1 style rts

dawn of war 2 is an aquired taste, if you think how mucxh wc3 differed from traditional rts, dow2 moves even further in that direction.  I like it but not as much as DOW1 or WC3.

• dandy230dandy230 Member UncommonPosts: 116

Can't really think of any other than the obvious ones.

Always enjoyed the Command & Conquer series for simple and fun gameplay.

I've spent couple hundred hours on Medieval 2 Total war, so need to mention that, even though the AI is dumb as bricks and the diplomacy is a joke.

A lot of people liked World in conflict, thought I found it lacking, if nice looking.

I suppose Anno games should be mentioned. I never got into them, but again, a lot of people seem to really enjoy them, though I imagine there's very little combat in them.

You could also try grand strategy games from Paradox interactive for example. They're not as hard to figure out as you might think. Just try the demos, go through the tutorials and you'll be on your way in no time. They can be a lot of fun if you're looking for something on a more... well, grand scale.

I liked the earlier Settlers games, not sure how the series is doing these days tough.

Then theres Stronghold, Cossacks, Empire Earth, Rise of Nations, Majesty and a bunch of others if you're into more old school games. 

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Ghost12
    Hey everyone, i really Enjoy playing W3 and SC, I was wondering if there are any other RTS's that you can recommend, thanks :)

Company of Heros is a must.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Company of Heroes. If you feel like modding, get the Eastern Front mod. Best RTS I've ever played.
  • fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125

Age of Empires 2 and the Conquorer's Expansion

You can play a lot of old civilizations like the romans, the sarecens, the persians, the goths, franks, brits, egyptians, the huns etc. The campaigns have a really...I don't know how to say it, but maybe..immersive? plot to them give a lot of the real history behind the civilizations. Like I think the tutorial campaign is William Wallace and you can follow his story and how he fought the british. All their units speak in their native language too, so for example, if you pick the arabs and they'll respond in arabic when you give them commands. Really cool.

There's several game modes, but the normally, you start in the dark ages with a small town center and some villagers and build your way up through the ages (there are 4 or 5 ages I think), building your army and researching new technologies. It's not really like the game Civilization, but more similar to WC3 or SC style of play where you can control individual units, except there are no hero units. Unfortunately, I think online play is dead because the game is quite old (1999/2000).

There is also Age of Empires 3 now. You could look into that.

• SlyGamer79SlyGamer79 Member Posts: 278
    Warlords: Warcry  i think its called & Spellforce games 

PSN-SlyFox5679
    Xfire-Slyfox5679
    raptr-slygamer1979

• gogysbgogysb Member Posts: 6
    battle for middle earth 2+witch king expansion
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Company of heroes / dawn of war 1