Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: The Future of Tyria

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, ArenaNet laid its cards on the table about the various live teams and how each will leave its own mark on Guild Wars 2. In our latest column, we take a look at the future in Tyria. See what we think before leaving your ideas in the comments.

But how is ArenaNet’s approach unique? A team that works on the game is still just a team, right?  ArenaNet is actually going to use ten different development teams.  Each one will take on a very specific part of the game.  For example, the live security team will focus on issues with account theft and bots, while the living world team will make new content.  This will allow each team to tackle a smaller group of issues rather than be bombarded with every type of issue imaginable all at once. 

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: The Future of Tyria.

This is one of my favorite dragon concepts from the game. I would love to fight a swarm of these!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MuffloMufflo Member Posts: 30

Great news, even if it is to be expected in some part, I am glad to hear that they announce it as such. 

I wonder how many people are put into each team, but surely I will never know, and hopefully we can trust ArenaNet to that stratagem. If anything they have blown our expectations away. 

Lastly, I truly marvel at the possibilities ArenaNet got for the future of this game. Just looking at the world map in GW2 makes me expect at least 5 expansions, which I am already prepared to pre-order. New elder dragons are to be expected, guessing at 1 for each expansion, hopefully also new races for critters and mob. New playable races? Now that's something I doubt I will enjoy, surely there is room for more polish on existing races to be made, learn from WoW here, as they both have succeded and failed in this area.

Love the game, but as anything it can get better and worse. 

Ps: Risen Chicken ftw! <33333

The sylvari ordered Rice n chicken in a bar. The waiter asked him: "exploded or intact?" He angrily answered: "Intact of course! Do you take me for a fool?"

Those were his last words.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

I have taken a sceptical approach when it comes to these kind of announcements.

Seen all these great promisses the past years just too many times, to also see it never come to actual delivering it!

EA/Bioware promissed the world with SW:TOR as well. Bragging about all the different live teams they had creating all kinds of content. How they were going to add several planets a year to expand the game, yada yada yada.

EA/Bioware with SW:TOR is just one example of many.... and we all know how that turned out do we?

I say.... first see them actual delivering on these promisses. Then I'll believe.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

So far By far the best Fantasy mmo ive played, and yes, it was expected  to see future expansions-and some huge game changing events by the end of the year.

what does all this holds?-Only Anet knows. But I will sure be there!

But they are doin an awsome job!

Originally posted by JeroKane

I have taken a sceptical approach when it comes to these kind of announcements.

Seen all these great promisses the past years just too many times, to also see it never come to actual delivering it!

EA/Bioware with SW:TOR is just one example of many.... and we all know how that turned out do we?

I say.... first see them actual delivering on these promisses. Then I'll believe.

Agree with you here- But Anet have been so modest about their launch and Talent, Iam ok with these news- as only the best  Games stay in touch with their players. per weekly or daily basis.

• latentPotentiallatentPotential Member Posts: 7
    This neither a unique nor original approach. CCP has been using the scrum development approach for years and many studios do it besides.
  • gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Well if it works why would you not use the development model? Last time I checked EVE was one of the best online games ever.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Definitely Anet pushing the genre as a service all the way from development, to release and now continuing development. GW2 = Value For Money; should be in the dictionary in the next update!
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Awesome news, I havent had such an emmersive PVP or RP experience in a game before, and both of those are player driven XD

Looking forward to the future content :)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I can only see a bright shining future for Tyria.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by latentPotential
    This neither a unique nor original approach. CCP has been using the scrum development approach for years and many studios do it besides.

The sheer number is unheard of but mostly i agree with you.  The big difference is most companies use 2 teams.  Dev and QA Dev.  They have broken both of these into multiple subcategories.  Also you have to take your comparison to CCP as a huge compliment as one of the only gaming companies that has been able to truly expand a game over time successfuly.

• latentPotentiallatentPotential Member Posts: 7
    I didn't mean to say arena net wasn't doing a good thing, the article just greatly overstated the uniqueness of their methods. I agree that CCP is one of if not the most talented and innovative dev teams in the market now.
  • GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by latentPotential

True, but not to the extent we're seeing from ArenaNet here.

They have twice the amount of teams working on development that most studios do, CCP included (and I am a huge EVE fan, have played since Genesis). The average studio that utilizes similar methods for development has three to five teams maximum.

ANet is pushing the limit and raising the bar.

• jehkahn12jehkahn12 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Please, please, please bring back the Ritualist profession!!!!!
  • Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    When they produce delicious pudding, I'll give them applause.  Talk is cheap, developers are not.  If AN fouls up the new content, those 10 teams will be 3 to 1 to zero in short order.  Let's see what they what they actually DO before patting them on the back for cleverness.

Originally posted by Rommie10-284
    When they produce delicious pudding,...

already is.

<.<

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077
    I want to play a quaggan...or a skritt...please :X
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Will these holidays be western civ earth holidays copied into a totally different universe, or will they be Tyria Lore holidays? I prefer the latter.
  • MsengeMsenge Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    Will these holidays be western civ earth holidays copied into a totally different universe, or will they be Tyria Lore holidays? I prefer the latter.

Well kinda little of both...at least gauging by the holidays in GW1.  The major holidays are usually based around the same times as real world holidays and typically reflect some aspects of those real holidays in game.  However, these in game holidays usually have some significant in-game lore to give the in-game holidays their own flair.

For example, the 1st GW2 holiday will be Mad King's Day which is meant to reflect the real world holiday of Halloween.  It's based around the return of an powerful human spirit (who when living was one of the kings of Kryta) to Tyria from his quasai prison in the Mad Realm (a part of the Underworld).  It'll most likely have special decorations in some of the main cities (most likely Lions Arch and maybe Divinity's Reach), sweets, costumes, and mini games.  Then you've got Wintersday that is held around the time of our real world winter holiday's occur.  This one might not return in much the way it did in GW1 because it was strongly based on the human gods (mostly around Grenth wanting the world to stay frozen longer and Dwayna wanting sring to return so that Tyria could be reborn).  Another holiday is Canthan New Year which is held around the real world chinese new year and celebrates the coming of the celestials which are celestial animals based on the chinese zodiac.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Hmm little to no information there.

I think msot people are really hoping for concrete content update plans and rough ideas of when they'll be added.

10 teams sounds good but it must also present some nightmares when teams are diddling with each others code.  There must be people separate from the teams in charge of code areas.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

10 Teams also means efforts are split, not to mention some areas will collide with each other meaning times can end up at each other's throats.  Resources will be spread more thin so a 'smaller work load' isn't really something you can bet on. Its possible some teams might have nothing to do while others could have several issues at once to deal with.

Its just to undescript to really take the 10 teams as a good thing. 

• ExItSrBExItSrB Member Posts: 1
    i would like to see factions :P
  • SuiMeSuiMe Member CommonPosts: 16
    It would be nice if they fixed the PvE bots and banned the RvRvR hackers first, before going onto new content.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Honestly, this has been nice talk by ArenaNet, but they told us nothing. Every dev team is about to try the same, tell the same and... you get it, we will have to wait and see, if they do the same. Hopefully they do a little more than the average dev team. but they have told us nothing more, than any dev team before. Only perhaps with better thought up words.
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Take about a shameless spin article.  Absolutely nothing of worth or value was divulged.
  • moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Makes for a good read while drinking coffee.