Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What a great community

roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

I've played quite a few mmos now . The best communitys I've seen to date have been in Lotro and DDO . Given GW2 is so successful I thought it might end up being a bit like WoW in terms of unfriendly players but thus far I'm finding its a good crowd . The majority of people I've met have been sociable and helpfull . Thats always a big plus in my books . Have still yet to ignore a single player .

Comments

• KhondorKhondor Member UncommonPosts: 51
    No need to ignore people when no one is talking.
  • QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Khondor

I don't know what server you're on, but on Gate of Madness people are always talking in /map and /say no matter what time I'm on or what map I'm in. As to the OP, so far the community in general does seem better than most online games I've played. There's still the occasional asshat, but they seem to be few and far between. Hopefully that lasts.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Clicked on this one expecting sarcasm. I have to agree that overall the community has not been bad although I admit I rarely have map chat on and have made a tab for party/guil/say only. This game has kind of a catch 22 situation where the mechanics make it so you don't need to group up to enjoy the game thus killing then need to talk to others and ask for help, but at the same time making it so you can be a solo player and participate with stuff going on around you. This makes the map pretty quiet in terms of chatter, but I get my questions answered without being trolled when I do reach out and peoples actions have spoken louder than their words (or lack of them) so I'd say I agree.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I also felt that LOTRO had a good community.  So was Vanguards.  This will sound crazy but I think the best community that I have experienced was from Darkfall although I must say GW2 is trumping that so far.
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    people are friendly and you get meaninful social interactions from time to time, but nothing like in old school MMORPGS with smaller, more hardcore communities. server size is so big its really hard to encounter the same person twice. Not only that, but due to down-leveling system and dungeon locations you have max level people spread all around Tyria. then theres also the situation with the overflows and the fact that a lot people are casual players or only talk to people in guild/vent. i think the social aspect is there you just have to look for it. probably in more drama-oriented guilds/servers?

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    people are friendly and you get meaninful social interactions from time to time, but nothing like in old school MMORPGS with smaller, more hardcore communities. server size is so big its really hard to encounter the same person twice. Not only that, but due to down-leveling system and dungeon locations you have max level people spread all around Tyria. then theres also the situation with the overflows and the fact that a lot people are casual players or only talk to people in guild/vent. i think the social aspect is there you just have to look for it. probably in more drama-oriented guilds/servers?

This right here. When I sporadically play it mainly solo and I haven't communicated with anyone except my guildies. The way the game is set up there is no need to unfortunately.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    I also felt that LOTRO had a good community.  So was Vanguards.  This will sound crazy but I think the best community that I have experienced was from Darkfall although I must say GW2 is trumping that so far.

Darkfall had a really good community. They might gank you and take your stuff, but everyone was always willing to give advice or explain things. I had a great experience in Darkfall and I am looking forward to the new one. If the UI is fixed like they say then I am in.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by Quailman

I don't know what server you're on, but on Gate of Madness people are always talking in /map and /say no matter what time I'm on or what map I'm in. As to the OP, so far the community in general does seem better than most online games I've played. There's still the occasional asshat, but they seem to be few and far between. Hopefully that lasts.

People are always talking on aurora glade too (EU) Which server are you on Khondor ? You can still move for free you know .

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid
    Originally posted by gessekai332

This right here. When I sporadically play it mainly solo and I haven't communicated with anyone except my guildies. The way the game is set up there is no need to unfortunately.

The same could be said is true of Rift an WoW . Both are city centric games with very few people questing and both have cross server instanced play which probably makes it less likly to meet players . It is a matter of making the effort to talk to people then add them to your friends list . Being a nice guild is always a plus too . I think gessekals332 is right though old school mmos did have closer communitys because they were more like villages where everyone got to know everyone else . 

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

In dungeon related areas most things one sees on the chat are requests for dungeon parties.

In Lions Arch discussions are going on 24/7 and people are VERY chatty whenever I'm there.

Subjects from religion, politics, movies, games, relationships and more. :p

Also saw many times "champion X at location X spawned!" for people that were interested so people gathered and killed a boss together grabbing their goodies. :)

All in all I too had mostly good experiences with people in the game.

Always tend to say that the people that are social, will remain social in the game aswell.

People that are rather loners will avoid any interaction as long as it isn't forced by the game anyway.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    All thouse "bad" guys went from WoW to LoL. League of Legends is today what WoW was few years ago. Today u ll find WoW community to be much better.
    The worst community I had to deal with was in GW1 (af&jq for example)
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by roo67

I've played quite a few mmos now . The best communitys I've seen to date have been in Lotro and DDO . Given GW2 is so successful I thought it might end up being a bit like WoW in terms of unfriendly players but thus far I'm finding its a good crowd . The majority of people I've met have been sociable and helpfull . Thats always a big plus in my books . Have still yet to ignore a single player .

Experince may vary from server to server so no one here can claim that entire GW2 community is good or bad based on their own pesonal experince of one or two servers.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The less loot driven the game, the better the community, coh & daoc had good communities also
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Agree the community so far has been pretty great overall. Think Ive only run into 1 whiny troll, which should have been made pretty obvious by his name. I forget exactly what the name was, Brosomething, but when i saw the trolling / whining and the name together it was just like "Yeah. Makes complete sense".

For the most part though its been mainly people looking for and offering help, with a bit of casual BSing mixed in. Unlike many games where someone does something like ask a question and they get answers like "OMFG ur such a noob. L2P!"

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

GW2 community rocks compared to any other mmo.

Ive seen a few idiots, but when asking stuff i always get friendly answers and thats enough for me to see its a diffrent community then lets say WoW / Aion / SWTOR.

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    i had to block some WoW fanboy/girl who was ranting in guild chat about how difficult combat was and why it should be more like WoW's. i was raging hard. 
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    There are always some rotten apple, but till now the community has been much more awesome then other games ive played so far. Not even only in the non-raging part but also in the part where they NEXT TO being friendly, also yust help you and give support.. even if they arent forced to.
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

I've met a few people that are 12 year old and kick you from dungeon groups because you try to explain to them how the dungeon works. Then you get kicked before last boss and more than 2 hours spent with no rewards.

Most people i've met are kind and funny, but then you got those 12 year old.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

The usual for me.

The "honeymoon players"
    who will claim the color of centaur droppings are the best thing ever.

The "successfull Trolls"
    but i like gw2 more than WOW, because i just want you all to talk over wow for the next half hour.

The "failed Trolls"
    GW2 sucks, i hate this game (and repeat it for the next 2 hours instead of leaving)

The "elitist wannabe"
    Sorry no Warrior for COE EXP P2, we need someone ranged (like if having a group wide buffing aoe burning / bleeding dot longbow build with 1200 range isn't range enough).

The "elitist"
    sorry only lvl80 with 1212 max damage weapons and that setup. (For CM EXP - ouch).

The "12year old"
    wha, this sucks why you guys are so weak! (invited 3 other warriors with only a 2 hand sword and 5 sigils - for an dungeon EXP run. Counting a total of 4 Origami Rambos)

The "denial"
    nO this is not a bug this' a feature.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by kostoslav
    All thouse "bad" guys went from WoW to LoL. League of Legends is today what WoW was few years ago. Today u ll find WoW community to be much better.
    The worst community I had to deal with was in GW1 (af&jq for example)

LOL and the ilk are simply filled with the same type of people that played DoTA on WC3.  MOBAs bring out the worst in people. 

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

You know the guy sitting by the plant pot thinks the party everyone else is having a great time at is boring.

I would examine your position in the center of your personal zone of silence before expanding it so far it supposedly encompasses everyone else's game experience....

.... I spend as much time talking with pug members and those struggling with DE's atc as I do with my sociable guildies many of whom I have known for years.

Physician, first examine thyself....

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

SWG had a great community.

Great game - great community.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Maybe I should try turning Map chat back on. I disabled it within a day of starting to play since it was every bit as bad as general chat in every other MMO I ever tried.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Maybe I should try turning Map chat back on. I disabled it within a day of starting to play since it was every bit as bad as general chat in every other MMO I ever tried.

I wouldn't. Last map chat I followed talked about planting and growing weed. Then someone piped up about how the government watches over chat bars and will track his wearabouts to which everyone made fun of the guy. Nothing special going on in it.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Woah, other people play GW2?! I thought it was just me!