Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which upcoming MMO don't have a cash shop?

WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Hellooo,

Are there any big upcoming games that don't have a cash shop or is this genre gone off the deep end. I'd like to know beforehand if I start a game that it won't have a cash shop 2 weeks after release, it's bad enough they do that pre-order stuff, now I have to deal with cash shops popping up everywhere. Any developers left with a spine?

Thank you.

Comments

• TorlukTorluk Member Posts: 162

I'm not a fan of them either.

Darkfall: Unholy Wars won't have a cash shop as far as I know.  Whether they have succeeded in rectifying the problems from Darkfall remains to be seen though.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

This is a side effect of having just a few very large publishers controlling 90% of the market.  One of the EA executives recently said they wouldn't be green-lighting any project that doesn't have multiplayer built into it, which means we essentially have game design decisions being made that may or may not actually be in the best interest of the gameplay itself.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the trends towards cash shops are related, in that you have publishers saying "add in a revenue stream like a subscription or cash shop, or we aren't funding it."  Gone seem to be the days of games simply selling an expansion or two before releasing sequals.  Now we get nickled and dimed to death.

You make me like charity

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Sorry?!  F2P is the only model I think that can work for my game.  If I thought every player would pay $20 for it and I could make it viable, then I'd do it.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    With that attitude, I think we are better off without you than trying to explain to you why you are wrong. You'd do yourself a favor by viewing cash shops more openly.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Darkfall but I would not reccomend this game unless you're big fan of twitch based open world PVP and you're ok with game being fully focused on this almost exclusively.

Final Fantasy XIV don't have cash shop afaik and developers haven't said nothing about having cash shops in FF XIV 2.0, but in today's world there is no guarantee and I haven't saw any dev comments reinforcing that it won't go freemium.  It might be your best bet though.

New games apart of that?    Nothing I know of unfortunatelly. 

Originally posted by Quirhid
    With that attitude, I think we are better off without you than trying to explain to you why you are wrong. You'd do yourself a favor by viewing cash shops more openly.

How preferring not having cash shops is bad attitude?  You are yourself showing preety bad attitude here.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    I think there is no CS in Rift. There will be a new expansion soon. I hope more developers understand that some players refuse to play CS games.  We need good games that are worth playing.
  • naljejanaljeja Member Posts: 94
    i know Darkfall unholy Wars won't have any kind of stuff like that, it's not in the nature of the game at all and will 110% never be
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

... as in, be more willing to open your wallet, as often as possible.

That's pretty much what Cash Shops, and the games built around them, are designed to do, after all.

Anyway, back on topic. As was noted, Rift doesn't have a cash shop, though that's not an upcoming game. Darkfall Unholy wars won't have one, so far as we know. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn won't (again, unless they announce otherwise, which I don't expect they will).

There's probably others that I'm just not aware of.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I am with you op,it is a severe blemish that  will only get worse.

The careless that allow it and spend money on it,will only encourage devs to take it even further,until finally you are forced to spend or don't play.

I have not seen one f2p game worth a sub fee.I do NOT want to see games continue down this path of delivering sub par efforts just to meet the f2p delivery method.

Look no further than the current game GW2,is this what we want from MMO's a 2-4 week experience?That is barely  single player game quality.it took a year or LONGER for most to fully enjoy FFXi ,that is a HUGE difference in depth and quality.

FFXI was a game developed for the small time PS2,yet it carries characteristics MANY PC games do not.Example you walk up to a building,it has a moving door and an inside and NOT instanced.Anyone that understands game design knows that takes at LEAST 200% more effort than a plain static building.

These are the little things i want to see in my games,i want it to get BETTER not worse.Developers have the ability to create better physics at NO gpu cost,destructive surfaces,this genre could explode into something amazing if we eliminate this f2p trend.Developers simply will NOT go this extra mile if they see no further profit,they will insterad give you the bare minimum.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KaspanovaKaspanova Member UncommonPosts: 61

It's Cash Shop or Subscription. There is not a free mmo in existance.

When all the subscription mmos have given in to the incessant whinging of self entitled brats, the next step will be to shout down all the F2P titles WITH cash shops.

"How dare you make those items paid for, in that stupid shop, i'm cancelling, those shop items should be free."

All we will be left with is less than ridicuous shareware that no one plays.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Hellooo,

Are there any big upcoming games that don't have a cash shop or is this genre gone off the deep end. I'd like to know beforehand if I start a game that it won't have a cash shop 2 weeks after release, it's bad enough they do that pre-order stuff, now I have to deal with cash shops popping up everywhere. Any developers left with a spine?

Thank you.

What MMO were you playing before this that didn't sell extra services or items? Asheron's Call?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Which upcoming MMO doesn't have

Which upcoming MMOs don't have

Please fix title to one of those.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

Having given up on the idea of keeping players for more than a few months end game hardly gets any desginer time at all. But they will all now spend alot of time developing the cash shop. Making sure thats well and truely polished for launch.

As gaming companies know we are not going to stay for that many months, I predicate an ever increasing amount of items including game altering items on offer at launch. After all, no point in bringing out 'Sword of Mega PVP'  but only after 3 months when most have gone and can't buy it.

Originally posted by fenistil

How preferring not having cash shops is bad attitude?  You are yourself showing preety bad attitude here.

Originally posted by TangentPoint

That's pretty much what Cash Shops, and the games built around them, are designed to do, after all.

Not all cash shops are bad. Not all of them are invasive or Pay 2 Win. Some games are entirely funded by a cash shop and that is perfectly fine. It doesn't make the game bad or worse than subscription-based games.

There's a weird notion going around that by paying a monthly subscription, you get quality, and I have not seen any evidence of this so far. So please explain to me, why do you hate cash shops?

• jagd241jagd241 Member Posts: 54

Project Gorgon will have no cash shop.

FTP will have access to all combat skills and a few crafting/gathering skills

$4.99 gold will have access to all combat+crafting+gathering skills.

So if you don't care about crafting...

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Not all cash shops are bad. Not all of them are invasive or Pay 2 Win. Some games are entirely funded by a cash shop and that is perfectly fine. It doesn't make the game bad or worse than subscription-based games.

There's a weird notion going around that by paying a monthly subscription, you get quality, and I have not seen any evidence of this so far. So please explain to me, why do you hate cash shops?

Sure, let there be cash shop games for players who like them.

The problem is, we're running out of MMOs for players who dislike them. I think the OP refers to this problem.

Me, I really don't like cash shops, never been able to get used to them. I don't like pay 2 win ones, and I don't like the "cosmetics only" ones.

The reason is simple: In my opinion, anything to be gained in a game should be only earned within the game, through the means of the game. Character power, character look, utility, anything. A game should be a closed system where real life money should not influence, or the whole thing feels jarring to me. That's why I don't even like perks like the ones that come with preorders.

So, my beef with cash shop games have nothing to do with quality. Whenever I see a "special" mount that you can only get by paying real money, I just want to log out. It just destroys the illusion of the gameworld to me.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for illusion! :)

Originally posted by TangentPoint

I want mmorpg's that are separated from external factors as much as possible.   Total separation is not possible but cash shop definately add alot of it. In this regard it is not diffrent for me purely personally  than botting, gold selling or cheating or maybe more accurately like minor cheat codes just payed ones.  I dont judge anyone - some cash shops are made in a way that don't bother those game playerbase it seems so I am happy that they are happy. 

I just want to simply opt-out of games with CS (and rmah and gold selling,etc) and I am interested in games that don't have them.

I don't even like pre-order perks, special edition in-game perks or things like that though because they are one-time I learned to tolerate them, if they are very small.  It is not about quality.  Of course I don't want subpar games, but that's not it.

I will stop here as this is not topic for discussion about cash shops. 

OP asked about mmorpg's without cash shop and he has every right to ask and he has every right to want to play without cash shops like someone else has every right to want to play other games without subscription or even box price.  You just seem agressive about it.

If you want to discuss further or in more detail about why I don't like cash shops then feel free to PM me or even start a topic.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Back when you could count available MMOs on one hand having a sub was fine and there was no need for shops. Now we have many MMOs that a large majority bunny hop around to. Developers need income so they took a page from across the water and issue sort of free to play with an option to buy.

As Kaspanova said it's sub or cash shop.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    What surprises me is that certain models that try to include everyone while giving people what they pay for are maligned.

SoE is pretty frowned upon for their model but it has both sub and segregated purchases. Subs even get 500 SC a month to spend for fluff while those that don't pay a dime still play the same content, albeit with restrictions. I do think they should tweak certain aspects but the overall model is a balance IMO for both current and future games.

Maybe the problem with the model so far has been the product. Once EQN comes out we'll see what kind of reception it gets being the new game.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The new darkfall won't have a cash shop
    I've not heard of one for TESO yet either.
  • bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Elder Scrolls Online might not have one, would be surprised if it doesn't though.

Beyond that, lets see... Wildstar, NCSoft, probably will... Neverwinter, Cryptic/PWE, will have one.... Planetside 2, SOE, will have one... ArcheAge, no publisher, currently doesn't have one in Korea.... I've run out of big MMOs now.

I think subscription only games are a thing of the past, it is either the market leader and subscription only (WoW), or it is subscription + micro transactions (everything else from AAA companies), or just micro transactions (everything from smaller companies).

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Hellooo,

Thank you.

Cash shops are just a payment delivery method.  You do want to pay for your games right?

We the customer have driven the market into creating cash shops and it was not the other away around, it started when people bought gold in games. We want F2P, no monthly sub etc, but these games still need to be paid for.

So it is not a matter of devs having a spine its about gettnig paid. I would rather pay for a quality game, whether by cash shop or by monthly sub, then to have shoddy f2p games without any depth.

What do you want, besides having your cake and eating it?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Wow is not subscription only, wow also has a cash shop.

I want mmorpg's that are separated from external factors as much as possible.   Total separation is not possible but cash shop definately add alot of it. In this regard it is not diffrent for me purely personally  than botting, gold selling or cheating or maybe more accurately like minor cheat codes just payed ones.  I dont judge anyone - some cash shops are made in a way that don't bother those game playerbase it seems so I am happy that they are happy. 

I just want to simply opt-out of games with CS (and rmah and gold selling,etc) and I am interested in games that don't have them.

I don't even like pre-order perks, special edition in-game perks or things like that though because they are one-time I learned to tolerate them, if they are very small.  It is not about quality.  Of course I don't want subpar games, but that's not it.

OP asked about mmorpg's without cash shop and he has every right to ask and he has every right to want to play without cash shops like someone else has every right to want to play other games without subscription or even box price.  You just seem agressive about it.

If you want to discuss further or in more detail about why I don't like cash shops then feel free to PM me or even start a topic.

Nope OP started it, he implied it was spineless to have a cash shop and the genre is worse because of games that have it. I was calling him out, because my bullshit detector spiked. Do you agree with him or not?

Nope OP started it, he implied it was spineless to have a cash shop and the genre is worse because of games that have it. I was calling him out, because my bullshit detector spiked. Do you agree with him or not?

"started it"?  What's this kindergarten?

Anyway - cash shops existence have an impact on reason why I personally play mmorpg's - so in this regard games without it are better.

If you're asking about graphics, combat type, amounf of content, bugs, etc  - those matter are not impacted by cash shop existence so for those things it generally does not matter if there is CS or not.

It really depends what you exactly mean by "worse" or "better" because I suspect that our definitions of this regarding mmorpg's might be difftent.