Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End Game Grind Now Showing?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

I'm approaching level 80 in GW2, and I'm looking to the future.  I've seen several posts here indicating that there is a huge grind at endgame, be it DE's, dungeons or WvW, if you want to get good/rare gear.  Is this true?  Was GW2 not supposed to do away with grinding the same content over and over?

Thanks for the info!

Comments

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Hit 80 purchased my Exotics in Orr with karma, bought accessories with gold, im grinding on other players in WvW, and running dungeons with other lower level guildies

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by vigg2004

I'm approaching level 80 in GW2, and I'm looking to the future.  I've seen several posts here indicating that there is a huge grind at endgame, be it DE's, dungeons or WvW, if you want to get good/rare gear.  Is this true?  Was GW2 not supposed to do away with grinding the same content over and over?

Thanks for the info!

You get exotics from map completitions and DE event chains in Orr. You get exotics tailored to your build from crafting at pretty reasonable prices. The only grind that exist is for special looking armor, not max stat armor. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

You would have enough gold when you reach 80 to get the gear with optimal stats.

The grind is optional, really.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529
    i guess the lack of grind that's driving people off, they don't have a "goal", no treadmill to run. 
  • gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    People bitch about grind and then if there is no grind they bitch about not having anything to do or having goals to accomplish.  Which is it?  Grind or boredom?  These are persistent online games so having things to grind out gives players something to achieve.

What people want is things to do but no grind. It can't be easier to understand. But, you know, people bitch about people bitching.

Your error is that you don't need to repeat things over and over in order to have things to do. This is why so many people are asking for a proper AAA sandbox to play.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529
    Originally posted by gordiflu
    People bitch about grind and then if there is no grind they bitch about not having anything to do or having goals to accomplish.  Which is it?  Grind or boredom?  These are persistent online games so having things to grind out gives players something to achieve.

What people want is things to do but no grind. It can't be easier to understand. But, you know, people bitch about people bitching.

Your error is that you don't need to repeat things over and over in order to have things to do. This is why so many people are asking for a proper AAA sandbox to play.

GW2 provides that. 

A game does not need to be sandbox to give players gameplay choices. GW2 is proving it, for me at least.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Think people are "bitching" about being sold one thing, then grinding dungeons like the others.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Elandir90

GW2 provides that. 

A game does not need to be sandbox to give players gameplay choices. GW2 is proving it, for me at least.

me as well.. I'm leveling 5 classes currently all with differn't stories so far all going through differn't zones(some overlapping obviously but not that much so far).. i also can just hang out in sPVP all I want or enjoy some WvW.. when i get some extra time a throw in a dungeon, crafting, jumping puzzles, zone exploration, try to catach meta events I missed.. just so much to do..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by bcbully

Think people are "bitching" about being sold one thing, then grinding dungeons like the others.

sold what? game is as they said in this regard. You are not required to grind any dungeons to enjoy all games content with max stat gear.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

sold what? game is as they said in this regard. You are not required to grind any dungeons to enjoy all games content with max stat gear.

I am certainly not decked out in exotic gear. Max stat gear does require some grind, but the benefit gained is not super large. 

41k Karma per karma vendor armour, 10-12 gold per cultural piece, 200-300 tokens per piece for dungeon armour.

There is grind with max level gear, but rares and even blue gear is good enough for every bit of content in the game.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Originally posted by Magnetia

I am certainly not decked out in exotic gear. Max stat gear does require some grind, but the benefit gained is not super large. 

41k Karma per karma vendor armour, 10-12 gold per cultural piece, 200-300 tokens per piece for dungeon armour.

There is grind with max level gear, but rares and even blue gear is good enough for every bit of content in the game.

several of my guildmates had enough karma and gold to get full exotics as soon as they hit 80.. guess it just depends how you play

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

GW2 provides that. 

Yes and no, I feel. I understand your point, but at the end of the day, it really is not much different play at low levels as it is at high levels. As I am not 80 yet, I cannot speak with a lot of authority, but I am pushing 60 and the game feels pretty much the same now as it did at level 10, for the most part.

There *are* choices, but there are not many of them. In a proper sand box you can build, create, destroy many aspects of the world the economy, and the ability to truly leave much of a mark on the world of Tyria is definitely lacking, imo. 

I am having a lot of fun, but it does not feel very deep to me, and I know I will not be playing this in a year, unless it is to play through a new expansion. I am enjoying it for what it is (to me): It is a on off multi player RPG, and worth every penny. Just not my long term MMO that I plan on playing forever. 

Already have my sights on PS2, really.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Yes there is grind. Every game will have it and GW2 does not shy from it at all. Once you go past the illusion in any game, you will find grind exists. Its really up to the user how much they 'realize' the grind. To me, I found the grind very easily in this, but others might not get that feeling as quickly.
    Originally posted by Naral

GW2 provides that. 

Yes and no, I feel. I understand your point, but at the end of the day, it really is not much different play at low levels as it is at high levels. As I am not 80 yet, I cannot speak with a lot of authority, but I am pushing 60 and the game feels pretty much the same now as it did at level 10, for the most part.

There *are* choices, but there are not many of them. In a proper sand box you can build, create, destroy many aspects of the world the economy, and the ability to truly leave much of a mark on the world of Tyria is definitely lacking, imo. 

I am having a lot of fun, but it does not feel very deep to me, and I know I will not be playing this in a year, unless it is to play through a new expansion. I am enjoying it for what it is (to me): It is a on off multi player RPG, and worth every penny. Just not my long term MMO that I plan on playing forever. 

Already have my sights on PS2, really.

I don't think that invalidates his point though.  A well designed sandbox is probably going to have a lot deeper gameplay than a themepark.  I expect if ArcheAge is the sandbox that people expect it will be quite a lot deeper than GW2.  But GW2 does offer a lot of choices, let's say compared to RIFT or WoW or EQ2.  In the latter games the focus is gear progression and if you want to enjoy other aspects of the game you have to grind gear.  The other options are mostly variations of combat settings (in RIFT there are instant adventures, chronicles, raids, dungeons, invations, etc - all are combat settings).  This is how you progress.

Guild Wars 2 offers advancement through combat, but also though non-stabby means as well.  It's really the players choice how they move on.  There are grinds in GW2 but they are optional for those that want to take them on.  There are other things to do that don't necessarily involve grind.

I don't feel this is true. In fact I think GW2 offers less. What can you do in GW2 that you can't do in WoW?  There are several things you can't do in GW2 that you can do in WoW and RIFT.

Don't the others you mentioned have this too?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

The "grind" is optional.  If you want a super amazing looking set, then set that as your goal.  If you don't want it, then don't do it.  I really hate when players complain that there isn't anything to do.  There's a lot of things to do, they just don't want to do them.  They might not like the content, but it's there.

End-game gear isn't the only thing to strive for in GW2.  Same goes for almost all MMOs, such as, Lotro, WoW, AoC, Swtor, etc.

• 400 Max. for all crafting disciplines.
    • Explorable Dungeon runs for gear.
    • WvW.
    • SPvP (ranks).
    • 100% map completion.
    • Achievements. (there's a lot of these)
    • Personal Story.
    • Alts.
    • Mystic Forge discoveries.
    • Jumping Puzzles.
    • Dynamic Events (hundreds?).
    • Roleplay (if you're into it).
    • Create your own guild/public events (be creative).
    • etc..
    Originally posted by observer

The "grind" is optional.  If you want a super amazing looking set, then set that as your goal.  If you don't want it, then don't do it.  I really hate when players complain that there isn't anything to do.  There's a lot of things to do, they just don't want to do them.  They might not like the content, but it's there.

End-game gear isn't the only thing to strive for in GW2.  Same goes for almost all MMOs, such as, Lotro, WoW, AoC, Swtor, etc.

• WvW.
    • SPvP (ranks).
    • 100% map completion.
    • Personal Story.
    • Alts.
    • Jumping Puzzles.
    • etc..

Honest man.

edit - person..

Originally posted by observer

• WvW.
    • SPvP (ranks).
    • 100% map completion.
    • Personal Story.
    • Alts.
    • Jumping Puzzles.
    • etc..

and to me how many of those you enjoy will really determine what the longevity of this game will be for you.. but like any other game if only one or two of those interest you your playtime isn't going to be as extensive as someone who wants to do most or all of them.. games are what you make of them GW2 offers a TON of stuff to do for a just released game just depends how much of that stuff interests you or not.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

and to me how many of those you enjoy will really determine what the longevity of this game will be for you.. but like any other game if only one or two of those interest you your playtime isn't going to be as extensive as someone who wants to do most or all of them.. games are what you make of them GW2 offers a TON of stuff to do for a just released game just depends how much of that stuff interests you or not.

This is true, but the most standard things on that list are: Questing, PvP, and Achievements.  And Swtor, GW2, and i think TSW(?) bring Story as a standard now.  This is why it's funny when players complain about themeparks, and their "grind", and now they complain there is no progression / carrot-on-stick (or non-grind).  Players are bi-polar in what they want.  Haha.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Like I said earlier hit 80 got all my Exotics 6 of them, one I had to do 3 chains because I didnt have enough karma, took me about 30 mins 42K karma per exotic, bought all my accessories, had enough coin and then + 50 Gold to do so, I dont know where the grind is but ok.

if you think going through the game and then doing 3 chains is grinding then =) I was grinding.

It might have been easier for me because I do run my own guild and we do have events every week where we help lower levels and ourselves achive 80 and geared status so we can WvW.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

Originally posted by Magnetia

Once again people prove they don't know how the game works. MAX EXOTIC GEAR IS FROM CRAFTING. All the stuff you just listed is FOR LOOKS. 

GW2 is the first game that has released with this amount of content in a long long time. It has replay value as each race has serveral different options for personal play. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I'm not sure where the content you're referring to is tbh. If it wasn't for WvW and a good guild, I'd be looking for a different mmorpg, since the only thing left to do is to grind for legendaries. PvE content lasted me as much as the one in SW:TOR did and it is as much repeatable to somebody with 100% map completion. And lets face it, GW2 personal story is even less interesting than SW:TOR was.

Good thing WvW is there to save the day.

Of course, you can argue that SW:TOR developers spent a metric ton of money to produce as much content as a B2P cash shop game and I would agree.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Here we go again with the misuse of the word grind. Grind = being forced to do a repetitive action that you don't want to do. For example not grinding for an armor set puts you at a disadvantage. Gw2 does not force you to do anything.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Xasapis

I'm not sure where the content you're referring to is tbh. If it wasn't for WvW and a good guild, I'd be looking for a different mmorpg, since the only thing left to do is to grind for legendaries. PvE content lasted me as much as the one in SW:TOR did and it is as much repeatable to somebody with 100% map completion. And lets face it, GW2 personal story is even less interesting than SW:TOR was.

Good thing WvW is there to save the day.

Of course, you can argue that SW:TOR developers spent a metric ton of money to produce as much content as a B2P cash shop game and I would agree.

I'm assuming you are talking to me. The content is there, but not if you only like gear grind tread mills for content. I take it you are only playing 1 character? Have you don't world completion? You won't see just how much content there is if all you do is rush from one DE to the next and only play 1 character. Hell, each race has at least 4 different options to making at least the first half of the game a different experience. Thats content.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Yes, I dislike alts tbh and since I found the personal story of my first kind of generic in nature, I don't feel inclined to roll any alts just for that. I do have 100% map completion, so I've seen pretty much everything there is to see in the open world. I've also got over 400 hours /age at this point, though the majority of them is spent in WvW. This is the only content I find non repeatable or grindy in nature.

The only other repeatable content that would be interesting in other mmorpgs, dungeons, is just not appealing enough. Maybe if the dungeons resemble more the dynamic events and less a headless (tankless) chicken approach to dungeoning, I would be inclined to play. As of now, unless I decide to start the token grind for the legendaries, I don't see myself setting foot any more in them.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Here we go again with the misuse of the word grind. Grind = being forced to do a repetitive action that you don't want to do. For example not grinding for an armor set puts you at a disadvantage. Gw2 does not force you to do anything.

Exsactly what the word means- and though not entirely true that Gw2 does not force you to do any grind. There isn't enough high end Zones to avoid having to repeat alot of stuff if you want to equip in top gear.

if you stay with your lvl curve you will get to lvl 80, in a mix of green, yellow and orange-( the orange gotten from map compleation). You can get a really long way down the road if willing to mix equipment from crafting, karma, wvw and all they other sources. If going to have a complete set from one source, you will have to grind it out. Trading can go along way to accomplish this. But there is a huge differense in the wealth availble for an active Guild member and a solo player.

Alot of players are simply not taken advantage to all what GW2 has to offer to avoid grind- and alot are willing to live with the grind to actual get a complete set from one source, instead of mixing it up.

IMHO ArenaNet have tried to get the balance right but havent really hit it spot on, but its close. Alot will be remedied with expansions as more Highend lvl Zones for sure will make it feel less of a grind to achive your goal in the game.