Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The last great MMO

2»

Comments

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

You cant say mmo are dead when there is still at last a single game with more players capacity than a multiplayer being played

Speacily with archeage,the otherland and Blade & Soul coming

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Aelious

Okay Dr. answer me this.  If the "current" design of MMOs is so much better than in the past then why are they failing left and right minus two titles? Greater tools for community? Really? I agree with you but too bad the design for the rest of the game makes the tools near useless.  More massive? Actually the world maps have gotten smaller in some sort of digital dehydration synthesis.  Could you really compare the combined maps of EQ with that of Aion or Swtor? The world is no longer a "world" but a molded park where every step is taken into account and "gone are the timesinks".  I agree that combat and storytelling and combat has evolved, evolved to where that's all that's important and your "story" is the same one as everyone elses.

I'm not a "doctor" (whatever you mean by that) but I'll answer for him because, despite my lack of a phd (or is he an MD in your world?) I can do simple math. EQ and UO were runaway successes because they catered to a niche market. 100k subscribers at the peak of success at best. Nowadays, we have massive "failures" with 5x those subscription numbers. How you can claim games with 5-100x the customers are failures might indicate you do not understand the meaning of success. No, game companies are not catering exclusively to you, probably because they prefer to have those 499,999 - 9,999,999 other customers that aren't you. They might not be successful by your metrics, but by the metrics the rest of the sane and known universe uses, they appear pretty successful.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

For MortisRex, your EQ number are off if you claim 100k subs at best at it's peak.

From Wikipedia:

These records show "more than 225,000" subscriptions on 1 November 1999, with an increase to "more than 450,000" subscriptions by 25 September 2003

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by MortisRex

Okay Dr. answer me this.  If the "current" design of MMOs is so much better than in the past then why are they failing left and right minus two titles? Greater tools for community? Really? I agree with you but too bad the design for the rest of the game makes the tools near useless.  More massive? Actually the world maps have gotten smaller in some sort of digital dehydration synthesis.  Could you really compare the combined maps of EQ with that of Aion or Swtor? The world is no longer a "world" but a molded park where every step is taken into account and "gone are the timesinks".  I agree that combat and storytelling and combat has evolved, evolved to where that's all that's important and your "story" is the same one as everyone elses.

I'm not a "doctor" (whatever you mean by that) but I'll answer for him because, despite my lack of a phd (or is he an MD in your world?) I can do simple math. EQ and UO were runaway successes because they catered to a niche market. 100k subscribers at the peak of success at best. Nowadays, we have massive "failures" with 5x those subscription numbers. How you can claim games with 5-100x the customers are failures might indicate you do not understand the meaning of success. No, game companies are not catering exclusively to you, probably because they prefer to have those 499,999 - 9,999,999 other customers that aren't you. They might not be successful by your metrics, but by the metrics the rest of the sane and known universe uses, they appear pretty successful.

Actually UO had 200-250k subscribers for over 3 years and over 100k for over 7 years.

EQ had over 400k for 4 years and over 100k for almost 10 years.

Warhammer Online and AoC has fallen from 800-900k to below 100k in less than a year. 

Swtor fallen from over 120 servers to 20 server in little over half a year.

Think you need to check your numbers.

DFO will never reach EQ or even UO numbers because it is very difftent kind of game than those.

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172
    Reehay

So you don't like EQ2 because of the player models? That's the only bit of actual criticism you offered other than to say it's not the natural successor to EQ, which I agree with. I'm not sure what you assumed I meant by deep but there are more varied activities and content to go through In EQ2 than many other MMOs out there, successor or not. That's what i mean by deep. Vanguard is closer the EQ successor but lacks in a lot of places as compared to EQ2 IMO.

no, i dont like EQ2 for twenty good reasons that have been stated a thousand times by thousands of people and are the reasons why the game is on lifesupport and never did that well.

mostly because EQ2 is a solo game. solo game with a ton of daily quests. and the game is a ghost town. i used the wax dummy analogy because it feels like your in a smelly old museum of a static, plastic looking world.

what little group and raid content it does have - is terrible.  players just grab a henchmen and AE farm dungeons. boring as fuk. overall the game has shallow group dynamics, awkward and boring boss fights... craptastic skill bloated combat. terrible economy. a game engine that cripples even current high end computers... i have a i5 2500, 6970, 8gb RAM, SSD system and i cant run the fukin game on high settings. w t f

i was in a veteran guild and they all said they still played for one reason only... the friends they made. then one day our entire guild had a BRILLIANT idea -- MOVE THE GUILD TO A NEW GAME!! yay problem solved and we're all sooo much happier now

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

oh and I almost forgot to mention - EQ2 has pathetically shitty PVP. another reason it has no right or place being discussed in a forum about a hardcore PVP game

so all that and yes - the player models and animations look like they were done by a high school student

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

I believe Unholy Wars will hold much promise with the following improvments:

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=328622

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    It sounds nice.  Death penalties would be nicer.....
  • george99george99 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by acidworm
    Last great MMOG was DAoC. Nothing has even come remotely close.

Damn straight!

• ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148
    If lessons from DF1 are learned, this will undoubtedly be the greatest game ever seen... if it fails, that's pretty much a shotgun shot to the head for a genre that is already laying on the ground having a heart-attack in a sea of shit. There is just nothing else on the horizon even reminiscent of a half-decent MMORPG and this will most likely be the only shot at a good MMORPG in a long long time.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

ingenious games maybe pop out once every 10 years or so

in between are the  games that arent that fresh , but also help to accelerate the next game-supernova.

lower your expectations , give the gamecreating people a break .

Bash the Investors  behind the scenes who make it nearly impossible  for creative minds to create somthing out of the box.

Kickstarter  could to be a solution  for the game developing  studios to get rid of the  big head investors , bringing players and devs together and crafting a game to their liking .