Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Im on the fense about this game

RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
think it will be worth it? to pre order it for the 30 ish bucks?

Comments

• poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226
    If you do not mind a cash shop in game.
  • GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by Robokapp

never play a new mmo at launch...give it a year, read reviews, watch videos, do a free trial then consider it.

industry is full of 'launch crap, collect box prices, run for the hills'.

regardless who launches it. don't play a new mmo at launch.

Agreed....unless you like playing with game breaking bugs, skill reworks, nerfs, server overloads....etc

I wouldn't however say a year, but definetly not the first month for brand new mmos.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Robokapp

I said a year because it turns out about 6-7 months down the road is when the critical points happen. Some get converted into F2P or begin discussing it etc. basically you don't want to buy it now an 2 weeks later to go f2p.

year after release things are stable. not only in-game but externally. population, payment model...game direction...that stuff you can't see in first few months because the game still rides on initial hype at that point.

swtor for example is one of those swapping payment model. You wouldn't have known that in first month or two.

i did just from the way the game felt

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I'm not saying I have any concrete evidence to lead me toward this indecision, but lawdy, lawdy this game feels sketchy. Apart from the name, which we can all agree probably borrows heavily from DayZ, we know it's going to be microtransactioned, by a company we've never heard of configured of "veteran developers" across a wide myriad of online games, with very similar animation and character design which someone could link to that other zombie survival multiplayer, all supposedly within inception years before Rocket released information regarding his mod.

I'm not saying I won't try this, and it's just a gut feeling I get when talking the game with my MMO enthusiast friends, but I feel like there's something wrong here. Maybe I'm just jaded.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• ElGuappoElGuappo Member Posts: 94
    Much like the OP, I'm still not sure about this. I don't have a problem with pricing or the shop, but some of the game mechanics seem designed to piss the player off. Lockouts? Looting? Perma-death? None of them seem like much fun.

The ruptured capillaries in your nose belie the clarity of your wisdom.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    The game sounds so hardcore I wonder how many people will play it again after dying and being looted. I love a challange as much as the next guy, but this seems a little much for me.
  • GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    The game sounds so hardcore I wonder how many people will play it again after dying and being looted. I love a challange as much as the next guy, but this seems a little much for me.

doubt loot would be that much of a deal, it's not like most MMO's where you have that rare epic item from a dungeon boss. Mostly think loot would be of the common variety type....maybe ammo would be of the most rare things. So if you die, it's probably your not going lose something that you might find right away again.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

well dayz has 1.5mill players so i imagine quite alot

its like Dayz, read up on dayz and you can see why full loot full pvp and perma death are all needed.

basically its a survival game, you have to scavange for food and supplies as if you were present in a zombie apocalypse, what would you do? go to the supermarket for tins of food? or scavange for hunting rifles in a nearby barn?

you can die from the cold, you can die from starvation, illness and thirst, you can suffer broken bones and require morphine blood transfusions and antibiotics. The game is a killer and everything about it is hostile. Other players are your worst enemy but also can be your ally.

Warz is going for a similar sort of feel but more user friendly and less hardcore.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    If the game interests you then yeah right now its b2p with no sub. Its $10 off the reg price right now so if your in to these types of games it would be worth it. I know that guy was saying dont buy before it comes out. I disagree with some games. If you do your research like what you hear buy it, why not. Take into account your financial situation.  for me 20 bucks not going to put me into the poor house.
  • AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

My enthusiasm for the game disapeared after I got the closed beta "invite".

It was titled:

"Welcome to The War Z closed beta !"

Then the email told me to pay 19.95 to join the beta.

No thanks.

I understand this is a promotion to get into the beta two weeks earlier, but cmon, stop milking me before I even saw the game.

I participate in multiple betas/alphas at the same time, mostly out of curiosity, but I also take being a beta-tester seriously, especially in CBT. I take it as a responsibility to actually test the game, formulate feedback and participate in the playtesting.

I'm doing you a favor playing your mostly unfinished and buggy games to make your product better, don't expect me to pay for it beforehand.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Originally posted by AdamTM

It was titled:

No thanks.

I understand this is a promotion to get into the beta two weeks earlier, but cmon, stop milking me before I even saw the game.

I participate in multiple betas/alphas at the same time, mostly out of curiosity, but I also take being a beta-tester seriously, especially in CBT. I take it as a responsibility to actually test the game, formulate feedback and participate in the playtesting.

I'm doing you a favor playing your mostly unfinished and buggy games to make your product better, don't expect me to pay for it beforehand.

It's common for MMO's these days to grant beta access for those who pre-purchase the game.

If you try the beta and it's not what you expected, you can always cancel your preorder.

--------------------------------------------
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Raxeon
    think it will be worth it? to pre order it for the 30 ish bucks?

I guess we'll find out on Monday.  I paid 50 because it looks better than DayZ and I would have been fine shelling out 50 for that game.  I also do try and give a little to the indie companies trying something outside of the box.  Even though I didn't particularly enjoy games like Darkfall and Mortal Online, I still tossed a little love their way.

• SabbathSMCSabbathSMC Member Posts: 226

Ok yes its full loot but from watching the utubes on it the loot seems to respawn fairly quick. the cash shop items are droppable. None of the cash shop items are going to be the most powerful weapons in the game those will be found loot. There is alot you can read up o n in the dev diaries on thier forum. and tons of Utubes on dayz and warz.

for me it sounds fine.

played M59,UO,lineage,EQ,Daoc,Entropia,SWG,Horizons,Lineage2.EQ2,Vangaurd,Irth online, DarkFall,Star Trek
    and many others that did not make the cut or i just plain forgetting about.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by deathshroud

well dayz has 1.5mill players so i imagine quite alot

its like Dayz, read up on dayz and you can see why full loot full pvp and perma death are all needed.

basically its a survival game, you have to scavange for food and supplies as if you were present in a zombie apocalypse, what would you do? go to the supermarket for tins of food? or scavange for hunting rifles in a nearby barn?

you can die from the cold, you can die from starvation, illness and thirst, you can suffer broken bones and require morphine blood transfusions and antibiotics. The game is a killer and everything about it is hostile. Other players are your worst enemy but also can be your ally.

Warz is going for a similar sort of feel but more user friendly and less hardcore.

What you said about the players is not accurate.  DayZ has had, to this date, a little over 1.3 million unique players play the game.  In the last 24 hours, almost 50,000 unique players have been created.That doesn't mean that there are 50,000 players that are active though. since you have to create a new character every time that you die.  Active players could be something like 10,000, just to throw out a number.  Though, I guess I could be wrong, and it could be unique players based on IP address.

That doesn't mean it's not popular.  One of the biggest weaknesses of DayZ is that it is a mod.  This requires a significant amount of downloading files and being frustrated with updates, much more than most PC games.  I know quite a bit about mods and I know that PC games can often be frustrating when it comes to updates, patches, bugs, etc.  DayZ goes above and beyond with the frustration.  This is a good thing for their standalone and games like WarZ.  All of the people who aren't as internet and technology savvy will get to play a game like DayZ, where maybe they didn't before because they couldn't figure out how to get it to run.

WarZ is a standalone on a decent engine.  It looks to have a nice UI, good graphics, and a lot more polish in places that DayZ doesn't.  You'll likely be downloading patches from a patcher that they host.  And while there will be bugs, I think that the game experience will be better in WarZ than in DayZ.  Either way, I feel that because of all of this, WarZ will end up attracting a lot more for being more accessable and forgiving in such a niche sryle of game.

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    i think im going to let the zombie thing rest for a few years.
  • AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by Wellspring
    Originally posted by AdamTM

It was titled:

No thanks.

It's common for MMO's these days to grant beta access for those who pre-purchase the game.

If you try the beta and it's not what you expected, you can always cancel your preorder.

And I object to that practice with every game/developer that does it.

It communicates to me that playtesting the game is a secondary concern for the developers.