Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tiltowait!

aryabaaryaba Member Posts: 22

Anyone remember the original wizardry where you had to type in the name of the spells to cast them?

Ah, the old days.

Wireframe graphics, 4 color creature art.  4-cardinal direction facing.

All-caps text (Apple ][+ days)

10 levels of hard core dungeon running.  No respawn points, if your entire party died; you had to go back into the dungeon with another group to pick up their remains in order to resurrect them.

Class-switching ability (if I remember correctly), many classes, races, etc.

What are your first memories of this game?

PS: I'm surprised there aren't more posts in this forum.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

I joined RPG gaming a bit late (not until MS-DOS clones became the rage in the late 80's) so my first Wizardry title was IV, Return to Werdna as I recall. An extremely tough title, few people actually ever managed to complete it.

Which was the rub really, among 3 of the biggest RPG series in the day were also Might and Magic and Bards Tale.  I found the latter two much more enjoyable and it was actually possible to complete them. 

I went on to play Wizardry 5-8 (?) and each time, they just seemed too frustatingly hard, although I do recall finishing 7 and 8 mostly because there were guides or online chats by then to assist.

But with all 3 series, remember using graph paper to map your way through the dungeon.  Gah I used to hate those random teleports in dark zones and I was all out of torches. (unless of course it was magic darkness that wouldn't let you see no matter what you cast or use)

Totally different game designs, would likely kill most modern game players. (or result in a lot of smashed keyboards)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• aryabaaryaba Member Posts: 22

Definitely used graph paper to map out the dungeons for almost every game back in those days.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by aryaba

PS: I'm surprised there aren't more posts in this forum.

The only press this game's gotten is that it's closed beta apps are open. Sites that  embrace f2p games wrote articles on it like last year when the JP version came out. I guess Sony doesn't have a bribe budget for this one, so it doesn't get front paged. I think it also doesn't help that half the English labeled videos out there make the game look like a turn based game. Instead of moving around, the people are just standing there trading whacks with the enemies.

Really wish there was more English info.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Played every Wizardry since the first one. Wizardry Online looks like it's staying true to several core aspects of the series - dungeons designed to kill you and permadeath - so I'm anxious to check it out.

Interesting trivia on two of the original Wizardry folks:

Robert Woodhead, aside from running SelfPromotion.com and Animeigo.com, is also one of the members of the player council in EVE Online.

Brenda Brathwaite, one of the original QA people on Wizardry, has also kept herself busy in the industry since then, and currently has a Kickstarter campaign for an Old School RPG she's developing.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Betakodo

Really wish there was more English info.

I've also been looking for more info, as well. I started migrating my Wiz 8 mod site to more of a Wizardry Online focus because I'm really excited about a Wizardry MMO, but finding any new info has been near impossible. The latest news I saw was about the Beta Sign up, but that sign up has been live for a couple months so not sure what's up with that.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138
    One thing that worries me a bit about the game concept is that it will most likely be team-based, and in MMOs, you have all kind of gamers, some are good, some are totally thinking only for themselves, some just plain sucks at gaming, so you'll get hazardous parties that might endanger you more than help you.
  • ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    I still have all of my old boxes for all of the Wizardry games from Proving Grounds through Legacy of Llylgamyn, including the maps that my dad and I drew on graph paper, and all of our character sheets printed out on our Brother dot-matrix printer using the Wiziprint software that you could buy seperately. Those are far and away my favorite gaming memories, especially since I just lost my dad to cancer a few weeks ago. Great times, and there has never been anything like it since.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I still have my save disk framed from Wiz 1.  I got into the record books according to Sir-Tech

my Party was all level 400+

my group was

Lord

Ninja

Samurai

Bishop

I ran a 4 person party to optimize exp, I had 3 bench guys I would rotate in, My Fighter, who was actually level 450, Thief, who was only around 300, and a back up Priest who was in the high 200's

This was done on the IBM model, so the Bishop identify EXP wasnt an option

Gilgamesh FTW

talk about farming, I once fought a group of greater demons for 3 weeks straight, just never turned off my computer

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
     The latest news I saw was about the Beta Sign up, but that sign up has been live for a couple months so not sure what's up with that.

They're starting to gear up I guess, by at least getting the gaming websites to post about their beta. They've also started posting stupid stuff along with a picture on weekdays for 5 days now on their Facebook page. They erased one of the pics though because it was a duplicate. The last one said "Many will enter, few will survive. Are you up for the challenge?" and it had an in game screenshot as the photo.

• aryabaaryaba Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

I still have my save disk framed from Wiz 1.  I got into the record books according to Sir-Tech

my Party was all level 400+

my group was

Lord

Ninja

Samurai

Bishop

I ran a 4 person party to optimize exp, I had 3 bench guys I would rotate in, My Fighter, who was actually level 450, Thief, who was only around 300, and a back up Priest who was in the high 200's

This was done on the IBM model, so the Bishop identify EXP wasnt an option

Gilgamesh FTW

talk about farming, I once fought a group of greater demons for 3 weeks straight, just never turned off my computer

This is epic; what games used to be like.  I just fired up an emulator and ran the old version of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the mad overlord.  My 9th level party died 5 levels down.  Now to get them back I have to roll new characters and go to the spot in the dungeon they died.