Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription again over 10 million

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Wow.. another post on this.  Who gives a fuck?

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Well there is a hell of a lot of little kids in this world.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Hold the front page. MMO releases expansion and increases subscribers slightly to above arbitrary number just afterwards.
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Hold the front page. MMO releases expansion and increases subscribers slightly to above arbitrary number just afterwards.

However people having been telling how WoW is in decline and will die soon.

MoP made a massive impact on subscription numbers and even if it lasts for 2 months some are bound to stay.

The game seems to be far from _dead_,

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    What sub-based game even comes close to WoW's numbers?
  • BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162
    where 6 mill r goldfarmers .....

• ohpowerohpower Member Posts: 72

Well WoW still is a ginormous phenomenon of a game, and deserves it. It has managed to stay beautiful and enticing for all those years, and to keep people hooked. I still think that the model is ageing and that, for instance, project Titan will not work the same way. But meanwhile, it's still up and running.

Now as for those account numbers, yeah, it's hard to know the reality they reflect (if 2.7M players bought the new expac, what are the 7M other ones doing? Are they all Chinese and waiting for Oct 4th? are they playing without the expansions? Are they free accounts maybe?) but still, Blizzard is strong and healthy, hopefully strong enough to prepare for the next generation and Next Big Thing(tm). All in all, that's all that matters.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

If you notice Blizzard state these are approximate numbers for MoP . In regards to Cataclysm there was no approximation they clearly started it was "over 3.3 million "  .  Its the use of the approximation which leads me to think this may be not Blizzards actual data but data by third party analysts .

Lets assume its correct .The boost of 1 million players I would assume most went out to buy MoP . That leaves 1.7 million sales amongst around 5  million people that play in the west that were there already before the boost in subscription numbers . ( MoP hasn't released in China at the moment ) .

This means of the people that had been playing WoW prior to MoPs release only around 30-35 percent purchased it in its first week .

To me this doesn't add up because I would have thought the exisiting playerbase sales would be a lot higher . Had the figures remaind at a steady 9 million I would have believed Blizzards figures but the boost to ten million coupled with 2.7 million sales sound like its an exageration or as Blizzard puts it an approximation .

As analysts have said that even with these figures there has been a drop of 30 percent since Cataclysm . Warcrafts bound to have periods where population gets a boost around patches and expansions . But many people simply play the content now and are gone in a month or two. This means WoW is still in a slow but steady decline .

As for whether or not Blizzard have spun these figures will become more clear when the companys financial report comes out .

I suspect the figures and the spin may not add up .

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Boudewijns
    where 6 mill r goldfarmers .....

not only this but

2nd life has 15mill 3 years now, and world of tanks reached 40mill last week

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

MoP made a massive impact on subscription numbers and even if it lasts for 2 months some are bound to stay.

Saw many posts that WoW is in decline.  Haven't saw much posts that WoW will die soon, actually most posts even negative ones suggested that WoW will live long.  Just slowly bleeding most of the time.

Anyway posts "WoW is in decline" were valid, because in 2 years WoW have lost 3 million of subs.   Now it regained 1 million.

Is WoW in decline or is rising again question will be answered in ~3 months from now on.  It is still too early to tell.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by fenistil
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Saw many posts that WoW is in decline.  Haven't saw much posts that WoW will die soon, actually most posts even negative ones suggested that WoW will live long.  Just slowly bleeding most of the time.

Anyway posts "WoW is in decline" were valid, because in 2 years WoW have lost 3 million of subs.   Now it regained 1 million.

Is WoW in decline or is rising again question will be answered in ~3 months from now on.  It is still too early to tell.

Every game is in decline and every game is going to die.   The important part is if the falling subs will cause loss of dev team members.  When players say ´who cares how many subs a game has´... they don´t realize how it directly relates to how big the dev team is an how much effort is put into future content.  For example, TSW had disappointing box sales and subs and quickly lost over half their dev team.   Any plans they had for content updates had to be drastically altered by that loss of talent.

WOW is hugely profitable, I think it will be a long time before any drop in subs would result in less members on the development team.  The fact that they are up to 10M just means it will last longer.  

• ClawzonClawzon Member UncommonPosts: 188

Gratz Blizzard and thanks for a good quality game!

Sorry for the haters on mmorpg LOL

:)

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    was to be expected with the launch of an ex-pack
  • GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Clawzon

No need to apologise, it should be us feeling sorry for you and not the other way around.

McDonalds has served billions and billions of customers since it's inception, does that mean it's good? Or is it just something easily accessable that requires less effort to acquire than making a meal yourself?

Something to consider...

Originally posted by GolbezTheLion

No need to apologise, it should be us feeling sorry for you and not the other way around.

McDonalds has served billions and billions of customers since it's inception, does that mean it's good? Or is it just something easily accessable that requires less effort to acquire than making a meal yourself?

Something to consider...

well obviously it tastes good enough for people to crave.There's other options out there,but people still come on back..

if it were shit in a wrapper, Im sure people wouldnt be back.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Apparently a lot of people who keep posting about the total sales being lower for MOP. The game is still doing fine and people like to keep saying that, as well as the opposition saying that it is going to die. It's going to happen no matter what people want, and it will happen with every game.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by tank017

Something to consider...

well obviously it tastes good enough for people to crave.There's other options out there,but people still come on back..

haha yea McDonalds may be horrible for you but it's addicting and delicious imho.. honestly it's a silly analogy i see on these forums all the time.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

People come back because they are lazy and it's easier to whip through the drive through and pick something up. They sure as hell don't keep coming back because it's a gourmet or even decent quality meal, far from it.

I don't mind that some think it's a "silly analogy", if the shoes fits...

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    wow since i will be making money since i work for blizzard......ohh wait i don't work for blizzard so this doesn't affect me.
  • rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

I am not a huge WoW fan since it lacks almost every MMO element that I like but...

It is nice to see the heralded "Death of Subscription MMO model" is far from the truth.   Now I wish that they would take even a tiny amount of that profit and make a nice old fashioned MMO, with a nice slow advancement curve, some nice old fashion PvP with loot drop or other risk and of course some player world building stuff like Keeps, Cities and Sieges  :)

People come back because they are lazy and it's easier to whip through the drive through and pick something up. They sure as hell don't keep coming back because it's a gourmet or even decent quality meal, far from it.

I don't mind that some think it's a "silly analogy", if the shoes fits...

lol,you act as if McDonalds is the only food chain out there...

you could go order take out from your most favorite,fancy restaurant if you wantd to.People go to McD's because they like it,its as simple as that..

in terms of MMO's,WoW shouldnt be compared to some fast food joint,its a silly comparison.You dont have to like the game,but that doesnt mean it isnt a quality product.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

apparantly you do since you are on the WoW forums

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

lol,you act as if McDonalds is the only food chain out there...

you could go order take out from your most favorite,fancy restaurant if you wantd to.People go to McD's because they like it,its as simple as that..

in terms of MMO's, WoW shouldnt be compared to some fast food joint, its a silly comparison.You dont have to like the game,but that doesnt mean it isnt a quality product.

So what is WoW? Dave and Busters?